gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:53:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Link to webcast for M&B live in Boston tonight  (Read 3418 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »

Not sure what time they're on:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/video-boston-pops-fireworks-spectacular/
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »

Bruce: "I wish they all could be Massachusetts Girls"

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »

Mike namechecking Pet Sounds before "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is a nice touch. I recorded the audio from the stream. I'll put it up on YouTube if anyone is interested.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »

The webcast will be up for several weeks for on demand viewing at http://bostonpopsjuly4th.org/
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:15:58 AM »

Didn't love how the Boston Pops were added to the arrangements and the mix was a little off at times, but they sounded pretty good, particularly Mike's vocals on California Girls.
Nicko1234
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:47 AM »

Yeah, they did sound generally very good. It sounded like a case of too many cooks spoil the both in terms of the vocals on Wouldn`t it Be Nice though.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:44:46 AM »

Yeah, they did sound generally very good. It sounded like a case of too many cooks spoil the both in terms of the vocals on Wouldn`t it Be Nice though.

So it wasn't just me? I think they wanted to make sure that it looked like Mike and Bruce were singing one of their most famous songs but it just ended up feeling a bit too busy.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 05:48:26 AM »

Mike is looking a little rough.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:07:44 AM »

They sound great with the orchestra, and I think Mike looks good and sounds fantastic for 73. Agree on WIBN though, one vocalist would do. Jeff sounds particularly ropey on it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »

Is there another thread discussing this show? I tried to log on but we were having some major thunderstorms in the area and I only was able to connect to the video stream during the Fireworks segment, so I need to catch up with a replay...is there a replay available?

Just to put things into perspective, as the fireworks were going off they had a running commentary via Twitter where fans could post thoughts.

Lest we think this board community is how this band is perceived or known in the general public, a fan posted a Tweet saying something along the lines of "Al Jardine sounds just like he always did, hasn't lost a step!" or something similar.

And, of course, Al Jardine wasn't in Boston last night... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »

The replay will be available soon on the Boston Pops link above (http://bostonpopsjuly4th.org/).

I'm not a big fan of orchestras backing rock'n'roll acts onstage -- only one of the three numbers M&B performed (CG, WIBN, FFF) is really suitable for orchestral arrangements IMHO. However, I loved how the Pops got into the act, wearing red-white-and-blue leis. Conductor Keith Lockhart was absolutely game. He put a Hawaiian shirt on over his white business shirt (with red-white-and-blue bow tie) and was singing along with the M&B band.

Too bad the incoming weather didn't let the Pops get their signature "1812 Overture" in, but at least they had a replay from last year to show.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »

I'm definitely going to watch the replay when it's available, I guess it's the same link! My computer was acting funny last night, I guess the weather here affected that for some reason as much as it did the actual outdoor events. All I got when it finally started streaming was the fireworks set to various pop songs. No 1812 with the actual cannons...horrors!  Smiley

Keith Lockhart has been a great Pops conductor taking up the baton after John Williams, he usually gets into the spirit of these events pretty well. Keep in mind the Boston Pops still has a tradition and all of that (sometimes stuffy) way of presenting the shows, so for a lot of Bostonites of the old-guard variety wearing a loud bow tie is as close to an act of rebellion as they'll allow.  Grin  Watch the annual Christmas concerts to see the well-heeled audience members greet Santa Claus with a polite "golf clap" as he comes out ho-ho-ho'ing among the VIP tables at Symphony Hall each containing a well-placed bottle of expensive booze and crystal.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »

Is there another thread discussing this show? I tried to log on but we were having some major thunderstorms in the area and I only was able to connect to the video stream during the Fireworks segment, so I need to catch up with a replay...is there a replay available?

Just to put things into perspective, as the fireworks were going off they had a running commentary via Twitter where fans could post thoughts.

Lest we think this board community is how this band is perceived or known in the general public, a fan posted a Tweet saying something along the lines of "Al Jardine sounds just like he always did, hasn't lost a step!" or something similar.

Sounds like either a fan who isn't particularly knowledgeable about the band, or a hardcore fan who was being really really sarcastic.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

Sounds like either a fan who isn't particularly knowledgeable about the band, or a hardcore fan who was being really really sarcastic.  LOL

That's the issue, right? I couldn't tell! Seriously, after I was able to link to the stream, the BB's set was over and all that was happening of interest was the Twitter instant comments from fans. I did spot at least one fan who repeatedly posted the same kind of comment, and that was obvious as it is on Facebook and other places.

But the Al Jardine comment...I really couldn't tell if it was real or sarcasm. Either way, it actually did make me laugh out loud when I read it.  Cheesy

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »

Here's the link to the webcast, brief interview at about 2:05:20 and performance at 2:15:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLKhUXEXcE
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

Here's the link to the webcast, brief interview at about 2:05:20 and performance at 2:15:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLKhUXEXcE

Thanks for posting the link! I just watched it, made me a little homesick for my second hometown, Boston...

The sentimental part of me watches that video and can't help seeing the people in the crowd reacting to the songs, and it just reminds me how *special* that music which is 50 years old really is no matter what. I'll say again, the legacy is and will always be that music.

Thanks again!  Smiley

Patricia Ferrelli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

To make things easier, I uploaded just The Beach Boys' performance from last night's Boston Pops show -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kTXLr95siE

Happy 4th of July, everyone!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:11:02 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Patricia Ferrelli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »

Aw, thanks!  I hope to have more uploaded soon!
Nicko1234
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »

Aw, thanks!  I hope to have more uploaded soon!

Could I also join the love in and add thanks for all of the weird and wacky videos that you have uploaded.

If you could upload that Beach Boys Family and Friends performance at some point then that would be splendid too.
Patricia Ferrelli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 07:28:03 PM »

Thanks!  And I promise I will get that posted at some point - I haven't forgotten!   Smiley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »

they sound amazingly good here actually........the M&B show has been injected with a shot of Foskett energy....
vocals are really great from 70 year old guys really.
orchestra addition is a splendid bonus!!

Bruce is still up to his microphone adjusting techniques, and prancing around clapping..... drives me nuts actually....

Bruce's falsetto on 'FFF' is way cool!  still has the chops for sure! 

such a great muso and vocalist...... his keyboard skills are almost invisible on stage... pity...

great show!

RickB
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:12:53 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx