-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Cats
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cats  (Read 198588 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »

Where is Swedish frog's cat? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2016, 12:50:48 AM »

Is there a chance either of you can make not BBs-related cat palind Or some limerick, maybe add dogs in the way? Any ideas?

Since I kinda (sc)outed you as a palindromist in the past, I feel I owe it to you - to at least point in the direction of some cat limericks:

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/cat-limericks/
http://www.playfulkitty.net/2014/02/06/kitty-cat-limericks/
http://www.poetrysoup.com/poems/about/limerick_cat_poems

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2016, 01:51:01 AM »

[Source]

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2016, 06:25:59 AM »

I wanted to mention our family cat to see if anybody is having or had a similar problem. Our cat is a male indoor cat, rarely goes outside, and was fairly healthy for about fourteen years. Then he started to have coughing fits, these really intense one or two minute long hacking fits. I've had cats before so I thought it was a hairball problem (it looked EXACTLY like hairball coughing), so I picked up some hairball medicine and hairball "treats" at the pet store. After about a month or two of that treatment, there was no improvement. Also, he wasn't able to cough up the hairballs and I couldn't find any in the litter box, so I took him to the vet.

The vet diagnosed the cat as having cat asthma. Has anybody heard of that or experienced it with their cat? As I mentioned, the cat is violently coughing and hacking (and I guess gasping) and it is very painful to watch. Then he'll just lay there for a few minutes, kind of recovering from the coughing spell. The vet said that there is only two ways to treat cat asthma; it is not curable. They actually have cat inhalers, where you insert the inhaler in the cat's mouth and spray some medicine in. Well, our cat would never tolerate that; first of all you wouldn't be able to catch him; he'd be running all over the house! The second treatment is prednisone. I get these prednisone pills broken in half and I give the cat one half pill in the morning and one have pill at night. We try to hide the pill in his cat food, but the little bugger will see it and let it sit in the bowl. Then we have to literally pry his mouth open and drop it in there.

The predisone is expensive and, unfortunately, there are some side effects. The most common side effect is lethargy. If you think cats lay around a lot even when healthy, you should see a cat on prednisone. It is a little sad to see; he can be really sacked out; that's been the biggest change. But, he still eats the same amount and continues to use the litter box well. The prednisone has been somewhat effective. The coughing has been reduced but not entirely eliminated, he might cough two, maybe three times a day. If he's having a bad day we're allowed to give him another half pill. The vet insists the cat is not in pain; that's our main concern. The prednisone also helps to keep the lungs from being/feeling inflamed. The cat is now sixteen years old and we don't want to be selfish about this. We don't just want the cat hanging on and suffering. But the vet examines him regularly, and says that, other than the asthma, he is in good health. He is tolerating the prednisone well. Prednisone is supposed to be a short-term drug (although some cats tolerate better than others), but right now we just want to keep the cat pain free for the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:41:51 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2016, 02:39:35 AM »

Thank you very much for your post! If you don't mind, share picture of cutie. police

The previous family cats & my current cat never had such condition (knock 3 times). But I'm aware that pets can get symptoms of "human" illness. Maybe it's age, cats live average 10 years, wild cats even less. Maybe his immune system weakened. Regardless, I am glad that your cat doesn't suffer.

This is site of certified veterinarian that I usually use. It's very helpful. You can ask her this question & she will answer: http://www.askavetquestion.com/

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2016, 04:47:40 AM »

We haven't had any cats with kitty asthma, but as RR said they can have many conditions that humans suffer from. My sister has a bunch of "rescue cats", and one has hyperthyroidism and needs medication.
Type 2 diabetes is a growing problem with cats, due to improper diet, and too many treats!
Well, RR, there are 5 cats in our household, only one who's less than 10 years old (she's 9 1/2). The others are 12; 13 or 14 (she showed up one day back in 2004 and according to the vet she was approximately 1 - 1 1/2 years old), 14, and 15. They are all in good health for the most part, although the oldest looks like she has a bit of arthritis.
For the cats we've had over the years, kidney failure is the illness that eventually sends them to cat heaven.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »

Thanks for posting! 5 cats - super! 3D How about pics? police  It would be nice to see real Smiley cats rather than google images (see the topic).

Hmm, I don't seem to recall what is hyperthyroidism. Maybe it's rare in cats? Idk. Can you explain?

Arthritis, yes, it is very common in old pets. I think in dogs too. Regarding average life expectancy, I'd say it depends what breed the cat is. But if we speak generally, 7-10 is average. For outdoor cats, it's 3 to 5.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:08:40 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2016, 06:21:02 AM »

The thyroid gland, among other things, regulates metabolism. With hyperthyroidism, the metabolism goes into overdrive, so weight loss is a major symptom, The kitty was small for her age, and very skinny.
One of these days I'll figure out how to upload photos. The oldest, Sai III, and the youngest, Tanner, are tabby cats (one gray, one brown). The second youngest, Tabitha, looks like a Maine Coon cat. Mr. Fuzzy, the only boy of the bunch, is all black except for some white "fuzz" on his chest. Finally, Princess, the one we're unsure of age-wise and Tabitha's mother, is gorgeous. She's a big cat, but squeaks more than meows. If you go to the English Wikipedia.org site and enter "tabby cat", Princess looks like the first cat pictured in the patterns section, only even prettier.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:23:59 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2016, 03:45:42 AM »

One of these days I'll figure out how to upload photos.

This is what I do, thanks to Swedish Frog aka Mendota Heights (and I'm cyberamus #1):

- Go to <http://postimage.org/>
- (I usually drag the image for uploading to the Desktop first)
- Then click on Browse to collect the image from the Desktop
- Resize for message boards
- Upload!
- You can then transfer it directly to Smiley by cutting and pasting the URL.  

Hope this makes sense----and helps. ;=)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:46:24 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »

This is what I do, thanks to Swedish Frog aka Mendota Heights

Speaking of Swedish Frog, RR... Smokin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2016, 07:44:22 AM »

2NOLA BB Fan: Thanks for the answer. Now I see what it's. I usually prefer DSH (domestic shorthair) (there is also DMH, "m"=medium) but maine coons I think easy to deal with even if they aren't your typical lap cat. Besides, very unusual breed.
With john's assistance, you can post pictures now. I got the descriptions but seeing the cats would be nice. At least the pics saved in computer.

SF cat will be.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »

This is Princess. She showed up at my Mom's house in late May 2004. On June 2 she had 3 kittens, one of which we kept.
She was very scrawny when she arrived, but soon became the beautiful cat she is now, eager to pose for photos.

http://s19.postimg.org/lqzjt19n7/Princess.jpg

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »

This is Princess. She showed up at my Mom's house in late May 2004. On June 2 she had 3 kittens, one of which we kept.
She was very scrawny when she arrived, but soon became the beautiful cat she is now, eager to pose for photos.

http://s19.postimg.org/lqzjt19n7/Princess.jpg
Such beautiful eyes! very interesting color & she doesn't look old.
Post the rest of cats!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »

I just picked this up at a benefit sale for a dollar this morning, sorry for the glare in the photo. It made me laugh so I bought it!  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2016, 04:56:10 AM »

One of these days I'll figure out how to upload photos.

This is what I do, thanks to Swedish Frog aka Mendota Heights (and I'm cyberamus #1):

- Go to <http://postimage.org/>
- (I usually drag the image for uploading to the Desktop first)
- Then click on Browse to collect the image from the Desktop
- Resize for message boards
- Upload!
- You can then transfer it directly to Smiley by cutting and pasting the URL.  

Hope this makes sense----and helps. ;=)

NOLA BBF, I've just visited that site and I see it's been updated. It seems you have to sign up for the new version.

But... just below the middle of that page are the words "Return to the old version". That old version still costs nothing and there are no strings attached. I just used it to upload an image to my other forum.

Hope this helps! 

Love the plate, GF! 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »

Could this be Swedish Frog's cat?  Smokin

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »

This is a very friendly stray cat that was hanging around outside our hotel that my daughter insisted we add to our menagerie.
She's named "Klowy" - my daughter misspelled it but insists on retaining that spelling.
My daughter often insists.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2016, 02:17:54 AM »

This is a very friendly stray cat that was hanging around outside our hotel that my daughter insisted we add to our menagerie.
She's named "Klowy" - my daughter misspelled it but insists on retaining that spelling.

Aww!

This next one is for laughs only:

With apologies to moggies everywhere. ;=)

halblaineisgood
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »

I like to staredown every cat i see. I like cats.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »

Hi, am having a lot of problems posting this. Not at my best, brain wise. Gotta remove the cobwebs!

Trying to show picture of my Dad's old calico cat, Sparky. She was his best buddy back 20 plus years ago. She loved to "help" with yard cleaning, especially if it involved leaves!
This picture was taken around 1995. She was relaxing in a planter my Dad was going to use. She smiled for the camera.
I imagine the two of them hanging out in Heaven now.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »

I'll try another one, since that one seemed to work.

This one is Boomerang (or BooBoo), our Miniature Australian Shepherd. He loves watching TV, especially animals. He goes nuts sometimes. That TV is relatively old, borrowed from a family member, because BooBoo destroyed the good TV when in all the excitement he banged his nose hard against it.

He tries to control the cats but they just ignore him, or, more often, tease him. They will act like they want to be friendly, then all of a sudden swat at him, hiss, etc. He just looks at me as if saying, Wha???

We used to have an Australian Shepherd who we found wandering on the highway, all full of heartworms, ticks etc. We got her well and she was with us for over 10 years. She had apparently worked on a farm, herding animals. When she arrived here, she must have thought that she was to herd the animals here. It was so funny, the way she moved around constantly, trying in vain to herd those pesky cats!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:51:59 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2016, 04:00:12 AM »

Nice pictures there, NOLA BBF. And great stories. Glad to see you got the uploading problem solved.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2016, 05:20:03 AM »

Cool stories. Found old pictures:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:25:39 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2016, 05:22:31 AM »

halblaineisgood
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2016, 03:03:28 PM »

Nice cat photos. Especially 1st and last photos in first post. And last two in second.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: