gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681635 Posts in 27650 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 22, 2024, 10:31:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was "15 Big Ones" poorly mixed? Would a better mix signficantly improve it?  (Read 22437 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »

Could this album have been better if it was mixed differently? If you think it was done poorly, can you expound on why?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

If the songs aren't strong enough, a good mix probably won't save it.  Love You wasn't a great mix, but the music was good. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »

Well, we already have the 'hot mix' of Rock & Roll Music as proof that a better mix of that song already existed - not sure if any of the other tracks could have been salvaged. The big problem with that album is the vocals. Had To Phone Ya works wonderfully as an instrumental but with vocals it comes off as oddly shoddy.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

From what I've heard, Kiss's Unmasked album was not especially liked in the day as being too wimpy. But the new vinyl edition with much tougher sound and bass has seemed to improve its reputation quite a bit. And I can second that after hearing the song Shandi on the new Kiss 40 collection. So I think a great remix can definitely improve 15 BO.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

I don't dislike Love You (apart from Everyone's in Love...): I think it has its charms and, taking it for what it is, I think it stands head and shoulders above some of the later albums, but I do have to be in the right mood to appreciate it, so I'm not sure changing the mix would help - but I agree about RnR Music.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

I like the sound of 15 Big Ones. It brings out a lot of the instruments Brian was using. I think it's one of his best productions.

The problems were the song selections and the lead vocals. The song selections could've been significantly improved with just two or three changes. The lead vocals are what they are, based on Brian and Dennis' physical condition at that time. There was nothing that could've been done, other than not featuring them at all!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »

Poorly mixed, poorly conceived, poorly executed. Three strikes, yer out !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »

Harsh! I love it! But would welcome a remix… or the release of an existing unreleased mix, if one exists.

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »

A better mix would improve it (by definition, a better mix would improve any music)....

But 15 Big Ones is garbage. Unimaginative choices of covers, very poor productions, awful vocals, few and mostly mediocre originals...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

I have somewhere some truly gritty remixes of----off the top of my head----"Susie Cincinnati", "Just Once In My Life", "In The Still Of The Night" and half (!) of "A Casual Look". Anyone know what these might be? Fan mixes perhaps? (I've lost touch with the kind person who sent them to me.) The one of "JOIML" makes my hair stand on end and "Susie C" sounds positively nasty. Unfortunately, there's no way i can upload them here... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »

The hot mix of R&R Music is great and I personally love Susie Cincinnati and would love you see (hear) yet another attempt at a clear mix.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

In terms of backing tracks, 15 Big Ones rivals stuff like Summer Days.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »

Yes, there's a reason why many of us call it 15BO, and while some of it is palatable, it's never going to be much more than a curio in BB history. The only albums ranking lower than it in the consensus polls here (which are pretty reliable indicators, IMO) are KTSA, Still Cruisin', and SIP.

Reminiscent of (in certain cases), yes. But rivals? Not really (IMO).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

Maybe it's just me because I love Brian's use of synthesizers. He got recognized for his brilliant approach to the classic wall-of-sound technique but he never really got the praise he deserves, in my opinion, for his 1970s synthesizer work.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »

LOL
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

Definitely not 'poorly mixed' from a technical standpoint in my opinion. Stylistically, sure you could say that a more '60s approach would have made the material sound more on par with the group's best-known material. But it was the '70s, and they wanted to sound current probably.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:53:03 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

I think if a mix could be created for the rest of the album on a par with the alternate mix of R&R Music on MIC, it would turn 15 Big Ones into a classic Beach Boys summer album.  Hearing the Boyd/Linnett version of R&RM on MIC convinced me thsat 15BO was, simply, poorly mixed. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »

after hearing the amazing stack o track version of "had to phone ya" it would be  nice to hear the other songs in either remix form or stack o track form...
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »

I personally think mix can make quite a difference, and production even more so.  The MIC version of Rock and Roll Music as well as the single version are far better than what ended up on the album IMO.  

Then again I consider 15 Big Ones more of a middling album than a terrible one (for music in general).  Though it loses points for some of the half-crazed covers, I think the overall production is more interesting than those on any album they did after Love You.  You play around with some of the elements there, and maybe it goes up another notch.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:31:11 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »

A remixed 15 Big Ones would sell squat. with a reluctant AGD as one of the 150 buyers.

Since we can dream, I think a double CD package collecting all the Brian's back era (remixed 15 Big One + outtakes, remixed Love You + outtakes & the contemporary tracks recorded for 'new album' and 'adult/child') could raise some interest. Of course it will never happen. Even if Universal decided to market the Beach Boys catalogue this way there would be Sunflower and Surf's Up to be mined first.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »

Yes, there's a reason why many of us call it 15BO, and while some of it is palatable, it's never going to be much more than a curio in BB history. The only albums ranking lower than it in the consensus polls here (which are pretty reliable indicators, IMO) are KTSA, Still Cruisin', and SIP.

Reminiscent of (in certain cases), yes. But rivals? Not really (IMO).

I'd add MIU to that list.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »

I think if a mix could be created for the rest of the album on a par with the alternate mix of R&R Music on MIC, it would turn 15 Big Ones into a classic Beach Boys summer album.  Hearing the Boyd/Linnett version of R&RM on MIC convinced me thsat 15BO was, simply, poorly mixed. 

you know, I probably came close to logging as many hours at Brother during 15BO than anybody then than Mankey or Moffitt; sometimes more than either of them, if I'd last through Brian in daylight than Dennis' sessions til dawn.  But let me tell you, between Brian's newfound enthusiasm, (having a studio of his own, just far enough from his bedroom), and the feeling amongst the rest of the band that this was a new beginning, it was an amazing time.

Mr. Doe certainly nailed the 2nd two points - poorly conceived, poorly executed.  You don't have to dig very hard for quotes by Dennis regarding the 'oldies' being a way of getting Brian back up to speed.  And while there was never any doubt some of these covers would make it to the album, where was the logic in choosing Blueberry Hill over The River Song?  It was right around there that enthusiasm waned, and a certain engineer who had grown contemptuous of them was left to mix AND master the album, which was grudgingly released. 

However, search out whatever original/re-mixes that you can find.  I STILL think my rough cassette mix of R&R Music rocks better than any I've heard...  My favorite memories are times like Roy Wood & Wizard coming by for Ding Dang, my ex-wife convincing Brian he could still call the Wrecking Crew, (& the until then immortal Steve Douglas), back to work for him, & bringing in The Double Rock Baptist Choir for Same Song.  Tis a shame, because they had an album or two in them then that could have garnered some attention
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 02:49:41 AM »

Definitely not 'poorly mixed' from a technical standpoint in my opinion.

I'll slightly revise that statement: technically the mix is adequate. Artistically, it isn't... and remember, Brian wanted all the vocals to be dry. The story goes (and I have no reason to doubt it) that the rest of the band, notably Carl, snuck into Brother Studio behind his back and added echo. Aren't you glad they did ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 15 Big Ones was a mistake that the group never fully recovered from.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 05:21:37 AM »

So, the Cliff's notes are:
  • Brian was initially revitalised
  • The band thought this revitalisation heralded a new era
  • However, the "old" covers for Brian approach clashed with the "contemporary" offerings
  • Thus, the bubble burst and both Brian and the band philosophically disagreed on the vox "sound" (Brian dry, band echo), while a disengaged Stephen Moffitt mixed and mastered an disunited album

That it in a nutshell? (a Million thanks to Ed Roach; cheers LAGD)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx