gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:45:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you prefer SMiLE as a 3 movements piece or as 12-14 tracks?  (Read 77429 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2014, 02:49:44 AM »

Looks like I'm in the minority but TSS disc 1 is the only Smile sequence I listen to these days. It's smile for me, so I guess I'd have to go with 3 movements although I share the belief that Smile would most likely have been banded tracks without had it been released in 67.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:18 AM »

Love it or hate it (I like it), BWPS is the a finished Smile.

FTFY.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2014, 05:04:46 AM »

Mujan, every time you react to a perceived slight with an essay about how you're being bullied, you just pour oil on a fire that was almost out. If I were you I'd walk away and let the embers die.

Then this thread can get back on track.

Or perhaps it'd be better to leave this forum altogether? Really just doesn't seem to be a good fit.

That being said, can you understand where I'm coming from? I'm literally just trying to add to a topic I'm interested in, just hoping to maybe present an alternate perspective on what SMiLE might've been. I see a comment that's pretty spot-on in it's own way, give my version of a "hey man, well said" and for no reason at all I get crapped on by Mikie yet again.

This person has been making it his prerogative to knock me ddown a peg or two at every opportunity he's been given. There's absolutely no reason for it at all that I can fathom except that I left GV off a damn fanmix. It's the most ridiculous overreaction I've ever seen and a huge reason why I initially stopped posting in the first place. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in calling him out on his behavior. I was happy to move on since I came back, let that sh!t go, and talk about SMiLE again in peace, but apparently he's still interested in looking for a fight after all this time. I don't know what I'm supposed to do since I can't block his posts; if someones gonna be obnoxious to me, sorry, but I'm gonna stand up for myself and call them on it.

Now granted, I may have been heavy handed with my reply to sweetdudejim. But to me, his comment was pretty uncalled for too. Aside from being rude for no reason except petty semantics and difference of opinion, it's just plain kicking a guy when he's down. I'm not trying to be a drama queen here, but it's this kinda stuff (and like I've said, it's been going on since I got here) that just kinda makes this whole board seem toxic. There's no reason at all for people to be this catty over personal opinions. I'm not a troll, I'm a genuine fan with some differences of opinion who has every right to come here and speak freely without being treated this way.

You make it out as if I'm going around begging for sympathy every time someone disagrees with my opinion or some stupid thing like that. Not so. I'm just pointing out that this board is, to put it bluntly, badly moderated. I'm just calling it as I see it. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to feel this way considering how Mikie and his kind are allowed to hound me at will and get away with it while I'm continuously made to be the bad guy for not putting up with it. I was openly mocked, and told I wasn't welcome here just for bumping some old threads that anyone not interested in could easily scroll past. I don't know if I just rub you guys the wrong way or if the culture of this board is just THAT bad, or what. But I don't think I deserve the hate I get for trying to post meaningful SMiLE-related posts on a forum about the Beach Boys.

I'm trying to be civil, but it's hard when you really put yourself out there posting mixes and opinions only to be called "useless" and told to go somewhere else, etc. With that in mind, can you really blame me for getting frustrated right now?

Aaahhh... I'm guessing you never experienced the Male Ego forum. Man, that made this place at its worst seem like a Care Bears fan convention. Ego was cage fighting with chainsaws while juggling scorpions and nitroglycerine.

Damn, I miss it.  Cry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2014, 05:16:54 AM »

Miss Male Ego and the Smile Shop both… though sometimes I get a sense of deja vu and Groundhog Day here!

As for SMILE sequences, well my own is in my head and it changes every day. Today All Day goes into Child, Worms and Cabinessence precede Heroes (chronology and all that)…  One day I might have the time to take all those little pieces I've amassed over the last 38 years and weave them into something I can plug into my iPod and take everywhere, though having it to hand will spoil much of that magic in my head.

My own view of Vibes in the line-up? Smile without Vibes is like cake without flour, an engine without spark plugs, fish and chips without mushy peas.

“We live in divisive times.”
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2014, 05:25:17 AM »

Looks like I'm in the minority but TSS disc 1 is the only Smile sequence I listen to these days.
TSS disc 1 is the only one I bought, basically for making the comparison with BWPS, Brian's last (as opposed to lost) masterpiece. That said, I haven't played either in months, having been diverted into other musical areas (it happens). :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
halblaineisgood
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2014, 06:26:27 AM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:55:28 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2014, 06:33:06 AM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:55:38 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2014, 06:36:10 AM »

I dunno what the original address of male ego was (maleego.net?) but you can use this to view old websites.

https://archive.org/web/

Just type in the address and pick a date.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »

I'm just pointing out that this board is, to put it bluntly, badly moderated.

I've read/participated in forums where a mod jumps in at the slightest altercation. It's boring. The mods do a good job here keeping things from being ridiculous, but I think its best to let the chips fall where they may. Isn't that what makes it interesting - to share opinions with others? This board is a lot of fun when everything 'clicks' together. And the greatest!

Don't take things personally...there are always plenty of people reading (or even agreeing with  Shocked) what you have to say, even if they aren't saying anything.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2014, 07:13:25 AM »

BWPS, Brian's last (as opposed to lost) masterpiece.

u like cocaine
u are in a cocaine-induced rage, john K
i can't condone this

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »

The mods do a good job here …

The mods do a great job here …

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »

BWPS, Brian's last (as opposed to lost) masterpiece.

u like cocaine
u are in a cocaine-induced rage, john K
i can't condone this
Rage isn't in my vocabulary, runnersdialzero (it is you, isn't it?). I just happen not to warm to anything Brian has done since then. Sorry! Oh, and cocaine isn't in my vocabulary either.  :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »

As for SMILE sequences, well my own is in my head and it changes every day....Worms and Cabinessence precede Heroes (chronology and all that)…  One day I might have the time to take all those little pieces I've amassed over the last 38 years and weave them into something I can plug into my iPod and take everywhere, though having it to hand will spoil much of that magic in my head.

I have "Worms" and "Cabinessence" preceding "Heroes And Villains", too! I have a feeling we're in the minority there. I know you mentioned your mix is in your head, but I'd be interested in seeing it if you'd care to share it Smiley 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »

You make it out as if I'm going around begging for sympathy every time someone disagrees with my opinion or some stupid thing like that. Not so. I'm just pointing out that this board is, to put it bluntly, badly moderated. I'm just calling it as I see it. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to feel this way considering how Mikie and his kind are allowed to hound me at will and get away with it while I'm continuously made to be the bad guy for not putting up with it. I was openly mocked, and told I wasn't welcome here just for bumping some old threads that anyone not interested in could easily scroll past. I don't know if I just rub you guys the wrong way or if the culture of this board is just THAT bad, or what. But I don't think I deserve the hate I get for trying to post meaningful SMiLE-related posts on a forum about the Beach Boys.

I'm trying to be civil, but it's hard when you really put yourself out there posting mixes and opinions only to be called "useless" and told to go somewhere else, etc. With that in mind, can you really blame me for getting frustrated right now?

It's comments like that that piss people off. You "calling it like you see it" can understandably rub people the wrong way.

The mods here do an excellent job. Because they don't slap Mikie on the wrist whenever he pisses you off doesn't mean they are doing a bad job. It means they realize we are adults who should be able to handle these petulant spats ourselves. If someone is pissing you off, ignore them.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »

It's beautiful in its own way, it's just as valid a Smile as any other version...it's just not THE SMiLE.

It's just as valid as any other SMiLE, really? It's not like a billion times more valid than yours or mine, since you know, it was finished by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks? Come on man. Whether or not you like BWPS that is IT. Brian, in the liner notes, states that it's the finished SMiLE. Whatever you think of Brian and his capabilities in 2004, he deemed it finished, and I think he has much, much, much more room to assess that than any of us.
Nice post! It also makes me think that the constraints of a single LP may have been Smile's undoing. Just too much music for Brian to pick and choose and edit into a 12 track banded record. Had he had the freedom of a double LP, maybe he would have released it in movement form back in 1967.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »

It's comments like that that piss people off. You "calling it like you see it" can understandably rub people the wrong way.

The mods here do an excellent job. Because they don't slap Mikie on the wrist whenever he pisses you off doesn't mean they are doing a bad job. It means they realize we are adults who should be able to handle these petulant spats ourselves. If someone is pissing you off, ignore them.

Duly noted. I didn't mean to come off as though I'm the only one with a handle on the situation. I just thought it was important to express where I was coming from, completely and honestly. I don't expect people to be banned for being "not 100% nice" I just think some people take it to the next level, and that kind of thing ought to be discouraged not passively accepted. I'll be sure to ignore the 'spats' from here on in, it's just that in certain situations in the past, it seemed like everyone was on their side since the majority of reactions I was getting, no matter what I did, were really negative. I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong to seemingly piss people off to such a degree.

But I'm really not trying to sidetrack things with my sh!t. I was really enjoying the initial topic. So to get back to it...

John Manning, if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your ideas, I'd be really interested in hearing them. I love alternate SMiLE mixes. Sheriff John Stone, I think the reason you guys are in the minority on that point is because Heroes was undeniably going to be the big single, and tradition dictates that that lead off the sides of an LP.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »

The mods do a good job here …

The mods do a great job here …

Thank you John. It is impossible for me to be on here 24 hours a day but I try to check in as much as possible.  Like now, im at work but checked it right before I go back on from break

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »

Sheriff John Stone, I think the reason you guys are in the minority on that point is because Heroes was undeniably going to be the big single, and tradition dictates that that lead off the sides of an LP.

Yes, I think that "Heroes And Villains" (or "Good Vibrations") would've led off SMiLE. And, I really don't think that "Our Prayer" would've preceded it. But we've been over that territory before.... Cheesy

I'm not really a lyric guy, especially with BB/BW music, and even SMiLE, but I can't get past the fact that "Heroes And Villains" is such a past tense song lyrically. I've BEEN in this town so long, I've BEEN TAKEN for lost and gone, FELL in love YEARS AGO, bullets eventually BROUGHT her down, just see what you've DONE, my children WERE raised, they STARTED SLOW LONG AGO....

I get why "Heroes And Villains" is usually the opener in most mixes, and what they were trying to do with it. And, I've tried it there several times myself. But, it just doesn't sound right, especially when I follow it with "Worms" (c'mon, Plymouth Rock should come first). Right now - and that could change tonight! - I am viewing "Heroes And Villains" as Brian's opus for SMiLE (not ignoring "Surf's Up"), and using it closer to the end of the mix, almost like a "summary" song. I merge Part 1 with Part 2 and make it a long suite if you will, a kitchen sink version if you will, fading out over the horizon with "False Barnyard". Then I bring it down with "Our Prayer" and close with "Surf's Up".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »

I really daren't set my version ("mix" is the wrong word… I don't have the multitracks and can't mix anything - I can only rearrange the order of finished tracks or perhaps edit sections into different orders… mixing is what engineers, producers etc do) down in words cos that would involve it leaving my head and being beyond my control…

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

I love "Heroes And Villains" as an opener, and the chronology question folks have raised in this thread is not a problem for me at all. Quite the contrary actually. To me "Heroes" is a great in medias res bam! right at the beginning of the American epic, and it grounds the whole thing firmly in a visceral, personalized story of one man's experience smack in the middle of the country's crazy, sweeping odyssey. Then you follow it up with the backstory, via the appropriately abridged, travel-guide vignettes like "Worms," which work as nice prequels and gain more power from having "Heroes" come first.

Unrelated thought that came to me as I was typing the above: another thing I adore about the Smile material is how cartoonish it is. Musically and lyrically both. A perfect match. Man, I love this stuff.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »

Aaahhh... I'm guessing you never experienced the Male Ego forum. Man, that made this place at its worst seem like a Care Bears fan convention. Ego was cage fighting with chainsaws while juggling scorpions and nitroglycerine.

Damn, I miss it.  Cry

A most awesome board ... Cry

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »

I let Brian make my personal Smile mix for me about 10 years ago.  That sh*t was GOOD you guys should check it out.  He released it about 2 years ago, I think it was called "Mark Linett presents: SMiLE" or something like that. 

Prob. the best fan mix I've heard. 

Evil
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »

Sheriff John Stone, I think the reason you guys are in the minority on that point is because Heroes was undeniably going to be the big single, and tradition dictates that that lead off the sides of an LP.

Yes, I think that "Heroes And Villains" (or "Good Vibrations") would've led off SMiLE. And, I really don't think that "Our Prayer" would've preceded it. But we've been over that territory before.... Cheesy

I'm not really a lyric guy, especially with BB/BW music, and even SMiLE, but I can't get past the fact that "Heroes And Villains" is such a past tense song lyrically. I've BEEN in this town so long, I've BEEN TAKEN for lost and gone, FELL in love YEARS AGO, bullets eventually BROUGHT her down, just see what you've DONE, my children WERE raised, they STARTED SLOW LONG AGO....

I get why "Heroes And Villains" is usually the opener in most mixes, and what they were trying to do with it. And, I've tried it there several times myself. But, it just doesn't sound right, especially when I follow it with "Worms" (c'mon, Plymouth Rock should come first). Right now - and that could change tonight! - I am viewing "Heroes And Villains" as Brian's opus for SMiLE (not ignoring "Surf's Up"), and using it closer to the end of the mix, almost like a "summary" song. I merge Part 1 with Part 2 and make it a long suite if you will, a kitchen sink version if you will, fading out over the horizon with "False Barnyard". Then I bring it down with "Our Prayer" and close with "Surf's Up".

"Once upon a time..."  Wink

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

As for SMILE sequences, well my own is in my head and it changes every day....Worms and Cabinessence precede Heroes (chronology and all that)…  One day I might have the time to take all those little pieces I've amassed over the last 38 years and weave them into something I can plug into my iPod and take everywhere, though having it to hand will spoil much of that magic in my head.

I have "Worms" and "Cabinessence" preceding "Heroes And Villains", too! I have a feeling we're in the minority there. I know you mentioned your mix is in your head, but I'd be interested in seeing it if you'd care to share it Smiley 

I'm another fan of having Worms come first, followed by H&V. That's the way it's sequenced on that darn pesky Capitol memo. Why do you think that is?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »

I let Brian make my personal Smile mix for me about 10 years ago.  That sh*t was GOOD you guys should check it out.  He released it about 2 years ago, I think it was called "Mark Linett presents: SMiLE" or something like that. 

Prob. the best fan mix I've heard. 

Evil

I hate TSS reinvisioned Smile. Too many backing tracks. I just get bored to tears by stuff like Look, Dada, etc.

My ten song Smile is perfect for my needs.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx