gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys ULTIMATE Survivor Winner: GOD ONLY KNOWS  (Read 114606 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:20 AM »

God Only Knows
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #476 on: July 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »

God Only Knows - because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song  Smiley
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 12, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »

"God Only Knows", if only because the "wild card" idea was totally bizarre. Still doesn't make sense to me how the song that was voted off, can be given a 2nd chance. The whole competition thing misses the point.

I completely agree. It wouldn't make sense if a song that has been voted off twice wins the entire game. The wild card idea should have remained just that.

But surely the fact it has come this far in Super Survivor and Ultimate Survivor proves that it deserves to be here? It was recognized to be a special case and the voting since has backed up that notion.

Please delete my account
bluesno1fann
« Reply #478 on: July 12, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »

"God Only Knows", if only because the "wild card" idea was totally bizarre. Still doesn't make sense to me how the song that was voted off, can be given a 2nd chance. The whole competition thing misses the point.

I completely agree. It wouldn't make sense if a song that has been voted off twice wins the entire game. The wild card idea should have remained just that.

But surely the fact it has come this far in Super Survivor and Ultimate Survivor proves that it deserves to be here? It was recognized to be a special case and the voting since has backed up that notion.

Still, it's kinda cheating and defeats the purpose of these Survivor games.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 12, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »

I didn't know there was a purpose!  Smiley

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 12, 2014, 02:58:39 AM »

Good Vibrations.

Because it changed the world in 1966 and then my world in 1976.

But 1971 Surf's Up beats anything.

Oh, and so does Heroes… and Cabinessence… and Old Man River… and Water Chant… and… and … and

“We live in divisive times.”
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2014, 03:40:46 AM »

God Only Knows

Easily the best song ever made, by anyone.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 12, 2014, 04:42:42 AM »

Neither songs are in my personal top 20 favorite BB songs, although I love 'em both, but either way, God Only Knows.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:22 AM »

God Only Knows
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 12, 2014, 05:53:45 AM »

Gv

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 12, 2014, 07:09:50 AM »

God Only Knows.  I wasn't paying attention in the last round, sadly, and would like to be voting for 'Til I Die.  But between these two songs, much as I like and admire Good Vibrations, this isn't really a contest for me.  Carl's singing of "I'll make you so sure about it" and the last part of the song are probably my favorite things on the whole Pet Sounds album.

Anyone else think it's strange that Good Vibrations lost its own round but is now in the final?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 12, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »

Anyone else think it's strange that Good Vibrations lost its own round but is now in the final?

It lost it's own round TWICE. Didn't win the Smiley Smile round and didn't win the Smile Sessions round either.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #487 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »

It lost it's own round TWICE. Didn't win the Smiley Smile round and didn't win the Smile Sessions round either.

Exactly.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »

Good Vibrations

Though I worry that Brian will be disappointed if he hears that GOK didn't win.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »

God Only Knows
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 12, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »

Good Vibrations

mmmm bop bop

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 12, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »

God Only Knows
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »

Man, this was a tough one for me.  Both are such great songs.  I ended up listening to them back to back for probably 30 minutes trying to decide which one to pick.  And on top of that I don't think either them are the best BB songs, so I had trouble just picking a song that I didn't really think was the best.  God Only Knows is such a beautiful song, one I could see being played at my wedding some day, but Good Vibrations is such a dynamic song.  It's almost like it's two separate songs, but they still flow together really well.  It also has that very upbeat early BB vibe that I love.  So Good Vibrations it is for me.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »

The final tally is tonight folks. Don't forget to vote!

3D
bluesno1fann
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »

Having been one of possible two people who hasn't missed a single round and voted on every one of them, it's kinda sad that things are finishing up. Time flies when you're having fun...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17:35 AM »

Welcome, welcome one and all to ULTIMATE SURVIVOR.

We have spent months dissecting tracks from albums, figuring out which ones deserve the title of Survivor. We pitted these surviving tracks against each other finding out which 12 tracks deserved the title SUPER Survivor.

He we are. At the end of BEACH BOYS ULTIMATE SURVIVOR!!!!

This was a close one. Good Vibrations was voted off twice on two different albums. Smiley Smile, because it didn't gel with the album. TheSMILESessions because it was reedited into a slightly longer version which differed from the single. Being a wild card was enough to get it to the final round of Ultimate Survivor with 16 votes ( ), but ultimately not enough to be called....

ULTIMATE SURVIVOR

with 21 votes.....
God Only Knows

Round#1 - Soul Searchin' June 18
Round#2 - Goin' On June 20
Round#3 - From There To Back Again June 23
Round#4 - In My Room June 25
Round#5 - Breakaway June 27
Round#6 - Please Let Me Wonder June 30
Round#7 - This Whole World July 2
Round#8 - Don't Worry Baby July 7
Round#9 - Surf's Up (TSS) July 10
Round#10 - 'Til I Die July 11
Round#11 - Good Vibrations July 14

Thank you for sticking through this game for so long. It was fun and memorable. A new way to discuss our favorite (and least favorite) songs.

Let me know what Survivor rounds you would like to do next. Should we do the ultimate loser or move on to solo albums. Maybe someone has a better idea that we can get behind.

Whatcha'all think?

3D

3D
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »

I think "Ultimate Loser" might be a bit too predictable most rounds to be interesting (is there any doubt Today!'s loser would be anything other than "Bull Sessions," or that Sunflower's would be anything other than "Tears in the Morning?").  I think solo albums would make for a more interesting place to go from here.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:44 AM »

I think "Ultimate Loser" might be a bit too predictable most rounds to be interesting (is there any doubt Today!'s loser would be anything other than "Bull Sessions," or that Sunflower's would be anything other than "Tears in the Morning?").  I think solo albums would make for a more interesting place to go from here.

We have already found all the album losers (they are the first ones voted off). It would begin with rounds similar to Super Survivor. Four threads, each representing an era: 1962-1965, 1965-1969, 1969-1979. 1979-2012.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 14, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »

Going with the solo albums sounds more interesting to me. Starting with the most obvious ones, then the obscure ones if there's enough participation.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #499 on: July 14, 2014, 08:34:29 AM »

We have already found all the album losers (they are the first ones voted off). It would begin with rounds similar to Super Survivor. Four threads, each representing an era: 1962-1965, 1965-1969, 1969-1979. 1979-2012.

I'm in favour of that. Though I'd replace the ones voted off first from SDVII, ASL and Today! With the ones that were voted off second. After all, they aren't exactly proper songs.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx