gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:07:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce on "Pink Floyd, The Wall"  (Read 4019 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »

Does anyone have details about how much of the album Bruce sings on?

Am I crazy, or were all  The Beach Boys supposed to be the backing vocal group for the whole album?

I know I could research this but I'd much rather ask all you guys!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »

I know Bruce sings on In The Flesh, In The Flesh?, The Show Must Go On and Waiting for the worms. The Beach Boys were going to do the backing vocals themselves but cancelled on the morning of the session.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »

The band was originally planned to provide backing vocals on the titles listed, but, in the words of Waters, "they f***ed off and did their own album."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »

Hilarious, and commendable, that Bruce managed to produce and sing all over said Beach Boys album and still show up for The Wall !
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »

I know Bruce sings on In The Flesh, In The Flesh?, The Show Must Go On and Waiting for the worms. The Beach Boys were going to do the backing vocals themselves but cancelled on the morning of the session.

As far as I know, Bruce didn't appear on the two In The Flesh songs
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »

Hilarious, and commendable, that Bruce managed to produce and sing all over said Beach Boys album and still show up for The Wall !
the shorts made the wall album another level of dark. Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »

Bruce told me himself be sang most of the background vocals.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »

the shorts made the wall album another level of dark. Cool Guy

I heard a rumor that The Wall album cover is actually a close up of Bruce's shorts, and then at the last minute they decided to draw on the bricks!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »

So true, Bruce is the prince of darkness. LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »

Bruce told me himself be sang most of the background vocals.

I hope it's true.

Toni Tennile's on there too, right?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »

Bruce, Toni, Joe Chemay, Jon Joyce.
After seeing The Wall performed live in late 2010, I asked Bruce how much of what they sang was mapped out in advance, and he replied "I wrote the vocal parts we sang. Nothing was mapped out before hand."

Found this from an online interview with Jon Joyce: "Bruce Johnston asked Toni Tennille and me to sing on a Pink Floyd record in 1979 at a little studio in Hollywood called Producers Workshop. This gorgeous track and song called “Goodbye Blue Sky” was literally my introduction to the Floyd. Roger Waters and David Gilmour were directing us and seemed to know exactly what they wanted. I was totally captivated. When we finished recording and listening to the playback, Roger showed us these artist renderings of the Wall…the show they were planning to perform live."

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/jonjoiceinterview.htm

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »

Interesting. According to a website dedicated to The Wall, the song the BB were asked (and agreed) to sing on was "The Show Must Go On", at Sundance Productions 10/2/79. They cancelled on the morning of the session and Bruce did it a little later w/Toni. Confusing... but then this is the BB.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »

here and here

Waters cancelled the session after befriending Johnston, who marvelled at how ironic that the "saccharine" Beach Boys are "singing songs about worms"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:13:38 AM by appak » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 12:08:24 AM »

Interesting. According to a website dedicated to The Wall, the song the BB were asked (and agreed) to sing on was "The Show Must Go On", at Sundance Productions 10/2/79. They cancelled on the morning of the session and Bruce did it a little later w/Toni. Confusing... but then this is the BB.  Smiley

That is the one song that has especially Beach Boys-like backing vocals, including an odd falsetto swooping part.

According to Wikipedia, Bruce and his gang sing on Waiting For The Worms, The Show Must Go On, both 1 and 2 of In The Flesh. It says Gilmour does all the vocals for Goodbye Blue Sky, but above we have John Joyce claiming to have sung on that. Doesn't mean that's what they used for the album though. I can really only hear Gilmour on the album cut, to my ears ......

On with the confusion  Grin
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »

Isn't there a wonderful tale of Toni Tenille being at a Floyd show and some Floyd Fanboy asking her what on earth someone like her her doing there and she turned around and said, "I sang on that"?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:52 AM »

Interesting. According to a website dedicated to The Wall, the song the BB were asked (and agreed) to sing on was "The Show Must Go On", at Sundance Productions 10/2/79. They cancelled on the morning of the session and Bruce did it a little later w/Toni. Confusing... but then this is the BB.  Smiley

Hmm...perhaps the Sundance Productions in question was in Dallas, not L.A.? I found at least one reference to such a place, and according to this NY Times article, it was a functioning studio in early '81, so perhaps it was in late '79 as well. This would make a lot of sense, as The Boys played a gig in Texas the day before, and another one that evening.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/18/us/ex-hostage-reportedly-at-work-on-cartoon-program-of-captivity.html

Edit: Sundance Productions in Dallas was apparently unrelated to Robert Redford's Sundance film production company, which he started in Utah in '81.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:09:26 AM by c-man » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx