gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:02:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone think there will be Beach Boys Deluxe Edition CDs?  (Read 5101 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »

Many, many major artists of the 1950s to the 1980s have put out 2 or more-CD sets of original albums, and as much as a disc and a half worth of bonus material. Universal, which now ons Capitol, has done many of these, as has Sony. Anyone think the Beach Boys will ever do it? They could include studio outtakes and live material from the album's era.
Even greater, but maybe unlikely, would be Blu-ray releases including original albums, bonus material, different mixes and video content such as archival film and new interviews. The ABBA albums, for instance, have been re-released with bonus DVDs containing TV appearances made at the time the albums were released.

Would be nice...
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »

I'd say within the next few years it may happen. A deluxe release of Sunflower would be great.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »

I think if XTC can manage to release deluxe blu-ray versions of their albums, so can The Beach Boys.
The toughest part would probably be getting everyone to agree on the contents of the deluxe release.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

I think it would be "sacrilege" to suggest this about any other band or artist, but I think in this case the Beach Boys should be totally left out of the decision making on just about everything concerning official releases.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »

I think if XTC can manage to release deluxe blu-ray versions of their albums, so can The Beach Boys.
The toughest part would probably be getting everyone to agree on the contents of the deluxe release.
Right.  I'll add my vote for Sunflower to be first.  Every mix they've got.
When xtc released Nonsvch late last year, they did it for the fans.  I just checked Amazon USA, and it's going for $24.  Retails at $35, but they never ask for that when you buy online.  I got mine in November 2013 for $17 when it first came out.
Blu-ray Master Audio 5.1 Is the future of music.  Nothing in the digital world sounds like it.  Let MoFi try to keep up with this.  To me, the Japanese have did the best job with Red Book (SHM, K2HD,SACD), but this is something else.  This xtc release on one disc has the Surround 5.1 mix, every track as an instrumental/ backing track, Andy and Colin's Home Demos and Work Tapes (including many unreleased tracks and reference recordings from the sessions), and Video content:  45 minutes documenting the sessions that Gus Dudgeon made.  Two of the music videos they made for MTV and the like.  This is a box set on one disc.  Want to have something for the car or pc?  Yep, a Red Book CD of the Original mix is in the box.  Even at full retail, wouldn't you grab it quick if it said Beach Boys?
Why wasn't MIC presented like this?  That's what CSN&Y are doing this month ( several versions including Blu-ray audio).  I have some others.  The Doors have two, the Hollywood Bowl show and a re-worked package of their videos.  They leave my old versions to gather dust.  The Beatles?  Yep, Help and Magical Mystery Tour are already out.  Later this month the Blu-ray for Hard Days Night will hit the street.  They have been/are popping up everywhere, from acts nowhere near as popular.  What are the Beach Boys waiting for?  And again, I have paid no more than $30 for any of these mentioned.
Sound AND Vision.  That's what I want.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:24:33 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Jason
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »

I'd like to hope it'll happen, but I can't say I'm overly optimistic. Thing is, how many of the albums could really qualify for a Deluxe Edition as far as having enough existing material? A lot of the 1962-1966 albums are poor candidates unless the band has a lot of extra live material around, or pad the discs with backing tracks/a cappellas and such. Now once you go from 1967-now, certainly...but to what end? Who'd really be interested besides folks like us?

Now a Sunflower Deluxe Edition...wouldn't it be great? Or even better, one of those sets like what the Velvet Underground got for their first two LPs. Oh my... *fanboying intensifies*
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:17:34 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »

Oddly, I haven't thought about this, but since Capitol and Universal merged, they are now eligible for Universal's "Deluxe Edition" series. Those of you who are fans of The Who, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Weezer, the list goes on, they all have albums reissued via that series. Shoot, The Who have put out TWO seperate deluxe versions of Tommy! One in '03 and one in '13!

But anyways, as far as The Beach Boys, I'm guessing that if the group didn't mind, a few releases may happen. And I'm sorry to say it, but Pet Sounds will likely get a release, maybe tying in with it's fiftieth anniversary. However, I really don't know what they'd be able to put on there to entice people. There's already a mono version, a stereo version, vocals only, instrumentals, etc.  So actually, after thinking about it, maybe it won't get done. It was covered too thoroughly with The Pet Sounds Sessions, and coupling it with something like a live show just really wouldn't be sensible as Brian wasn't in the live group at the time, and their live work really didn't correlate with what Brian was doing in the studio.

I do have a few interesting suggestions otherwise though....

Smiley Smiley (Deluxe Edition)
Disc 1: the original mono album and the recent stereo mix as well
Disc 2: the best performances from the August '67 Hawaii shows with Brian (especially that version of "Heroes And Viillains" that was on a 2-fer before). Sure, there are better performances by the guys, but this was a historic show and it would be cool to finally have a  decently compiled version on an official release.

Sunflower / Surf's Up (Deluxe Edition)
Disc 1: Sunflower plus all relevant outtakes (except "Where Is She?" and the 1970 "Back Home" to keep them exclusive to MIC)
Disc 2: Surf's Up plus all relevant outtakes ("Seasons in the Sun", "Won't You Tell Me", early "Big Sur", "H.E.L.P.", etc.)

and I know they won't do it, but

15 Big Ones (Deluxe Edition)
Disc 1: original album plus single mixes of "Rock and Roll Music" and "It's OK"
Disc 2: remix of the album (to better show off what was actually some nice productions by Brian) and loads of outtakes

I think a release like that of 15 Big Ones could help repair it's somewhat bad reputation, just as Paul McCartney's reissue of McCartney II seemed to turn the tide on that album.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »

......or maybe they could just reissue all the Brother era albums as single CDs and pack them full of bonus tracks. Won't happen, but it sure would be cool.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 12:27:49 AM »

Would still like to see a definitive early years set. There's sh*t-loads of material that could be packaged together in good sound quality and informative packaging.

If any such series kicked off with Sunflower, it'd burn out sales-wise before other albums got the treatment. Like Singles Box Vol 1.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

Sunflower is easily the first album that I would want as a Deluxe Edition.  Loads of original 1969/70 mixes, demos, a capella versions, outtakes, and two different mastering versions of the entire album.

Sunflower (Deluxe Edition)
Disc One: Original LP remastered, bonus tracks
Disc Two: Desper mix of the LP using his original intention spatializer technology, more bonus tracks
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »

The main difference is that Andy Partridge has his own label and maybe has the rights to his albums back?  Not too sure on the last part but yeh, he has control of the releases put out and what's on them.

Imagine a Brian Wilson release similar to the 8cd Fuzzy Warbles Demos/unreleased/rarities set!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »

Of course, I love the thought of holding a Sunflower deluxe edition/box set, but I doubt it would have enough we haven't heard, much less sell enough copies. If there's anything left for now that warrants a box set, I'd say it's AGD's Raiders of the Lost Archives idea - just random rarities 1962-2012. That way we could make our own deluxe editions  Cheesy

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »

I dunno, Sunflower seems to sell decent enough - it and Surf's Up are the only post-mono albums that were reissued on the last batch. It's included on some 'greatest albums of all time' lists and stuff like that, too.
I know that we like to think that we're the only people who would buy such a collection, but we're not. There are plenty of others who would also buy it - you just have to market it correctly.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »

Fair do's. Although I suppose they had their chance to put out some great bonus tracks two years ago - at 36 extra minutes those bonus tracks on the Brother Reissues thread would have fit nicely alongside the remastered album on one disc...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 11:56:04 PM »

Blame the bean counters in the Tower. It's ironic that the company are now far more attuned to such archive releases.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »

Ah well, better late than never.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

Blame the bean counters in the Tower. It's ironic that the company are now far more attuned to such archive releases.
Are they solely to blame - I thought the band had been equally reluctant to bare some of what they considered sub-par (eg, Soulful Old Man Shunsine)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:25:19 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jason
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »

I think considering the general obsessiveness of folks like us, the band could unleash such rumored horribleness as Rubles and Ride, Arabian, Ride on us and we'd gobble it up. If it means a few extra bucks, why not?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »

I think considering the general obsessiveness of folks like us, the band could unleash such rumored horribleness as Rubles and Ride, Arabian, Ride on us and we'd gobble it up. If it means a few extra bucks, why not?

Not having heard – to my ken – them I can't comment… are they even out there?

Jason
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »

They're not booted but they've been rumored to be on a legendary level of horribleness. I think Andrew Doe has made a few comments about the former on here, but I'm not sure.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »

They're not booted but they've been rumored to be on a legendary level of horribleness. I think Andrew Doe has made a few comments about the former on here, but I'm not sure.

Many thanks; still curious – nothing AGD says can put me off!

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »

I think being exposed to them would make us all the more miserable realising what we're obsessed with to be honest

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »

Here's two Deluxe editions I'd like to see, buit certain multi-tracks might have to be found

Beach Boys Today and Summer Days:

In both cases:

Disc 1: Mono and stereo mixes, as released on the single CDs a couple of years ago. Outtakes like Guess I'm Dumb (vocal and instrumental), alternate takes.
Disc 2: 1960s-type stereo mix, with mono music and stereo vocal spread, as the album might have been released in the day if Brian allowed it. Live show from the period, more alternate takes.
Bonus Disc 3: The Murry Wilson Help Me Rhonda session (for the Summer Days set).
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »

Bonus Disc 3: The Murry Wilson Help Me Rhonda session (for the Summer Days set).

There's absolutely zero chance of that ever being released.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

Any situation where I can hear unreleased (+30 points for unbootlegged) stuff is one I would enjoy  Smiley

Just release it pls.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx