-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Why the rage for name-changing?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why the rage for name-changing?  (Read 11337 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »

Why posters have to change their "handle" is a complete mystery to me. What's wrong with runnersdialzero, to give just one example? No one stands to gain from all this, least of all the name-changer... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »

I see your point & respect it, however, of all things that happen on the Internet, it's not the worst one (as long as the handle isn't sth. awful like "P-Santa... hehe" (sorry, Rei)). Those frequently changing their usernames can still be quickly recognized, even the new avatar won't cover it. As for the reason, that's simple - they don't want to be easily found. Say, I decide to find a certain post by Mike's Beard, one of the avid name-changers in the past, but the results showing nil. So then I change his current name to the old & type "The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard". Still no results. See? Very difficult.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »

Why posters have to change their "handle" is a complete mystery to me. What's wrong with runnersdialzero, to give just one example? No one stands to gain from all this, least of all the name-changer... 

I like it. It's nice to change your name occasionally, just to keep the mystery lol.

I see your point & respect it, however, of all things that happen on the Internet, it's not the worst one (as long as the handle isn't sth. awful like "P-Santa... hehe" (sorry, Rei)). Those frequently changing their usernames can still be quickly recognized, even the new avatar won't cover it. As for the reason, that's simple - they don't want to be easily found. Say, I decide to find a certain post by Mike's Beard, one of the avid name-changers in the past, but the results showing nil. So then I change his current name to the old & type "The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard". Still no results. See? Very difficult.

lol. With the "P-Santa... hehe" one, it was just for a bit of lolz during the Christmas season. I'm guessing they're still quickly recognized due to checking their post history?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

I'm guessing they're still quickly recognized due to checking their post history?
Well, if you aren't lazy enough to check all 1.000 onward posts, then go ahead. To me, I'd rather seek for them individually.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »

Personally, I like to change my avatar (occasionally my name as well, but I always eventually change it back) because I get bored with it.
I like to have a variety.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:46:20 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »

Why posters have to change their "handle" is a complete mystery to me. What's wrong with runnersdialzero, to give just one example?
Great to see that particular name back. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

The vanity of butthurt.

There's no lack of it to be found here, that's for sure.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »

Never seen the point of using pseudonyms anyway. I have no problem with what I have to say being posted under my own name as opposed to something supposedly amusing (they very rarely are) or wilfully obscure that masks my identity.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »

I usually change it it amuse my self...i changed it now to music notes, because anybody who knows me off the board knows i live for music
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:32:57 PM by ♯♫♩♬ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

I respect all brands.  Those who go full-bore authentic and those who chose a different path.  There's no right or wrong answer.  Yet.

Trust me... "they" will define the right path soon enough... so enjoy it while it lasts...

MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Hi all,

Some people change their names due to a bad experience online.  They don't want the people from before to find out who they are.  Also, some times people want a change.   
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »

Of the many sins committed by members of this board, name-changing is a pretty minor one.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 01:07:30 AM »

Of the many sins committed by members of this board, name-changing is a pretty minor one.

LOL

Used to love namechanging, but these days I'm kinda over it. I'm quite content with "BAmBU Dennis"  Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 05:06:03 AM »

Why posters have to change their "handle" is a complete mystery to me. What's wrong with runnersdialzero, to give just one example?
Great to see that particular name back. :=)
I see I spoke too soon.  Grin

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »

I decided to go to 'Add Some' here as there was/is already at least TWO other Lees here at Smiley Smile...and also because after years of doing the on-line thing as Lee Marshall...I discovered [well actually my wife pointed out] that ALL of my dumb-arse posts show up if somebody merely googles me.  Figured it was time I started to create a cloud of privacy...at least going forward. Cool

After going through Christmas/New Years and stepping on the weigh-scale at the doctor's office last week...I might be better off, though, going with Lose Some.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »

u wanna fight me

get ready 4 fight

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 08:44:33 PM »

I decided to go to 'Add Some' here as there was/is already at least TWO other Lees here at Smiley Smile...and also because after years of doing the on-line thing as Lee Marshall...I discovered [well actually my wife pointed out] that ALL of my dumb-arse posts show up if somebody merely googles me.  Figured it was time I started to create a cloud of privacy...at least going forward. Cool

After going through Christmas/New Years and stepping on the weigh-scale at the doctor's office last week...I might be better off, though, going with Lose Some.

Ah hell...NOW I know you are LOL  I *knew* I had talked with you online previously! Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 03:18:49 AM »

Hi all,

Some people change their names due to a bad experience online.  They don't want the people from before to find out who they are.  Also, some times people want a change.   
Mary,
I understand your first point completely and endorse it 100%. But not your second point. Name-changing just seems counter-productive on a board universally respected for its knowledge and erudite opinions.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »

I think runnersdialzero is now known as Diaphanous Moiety, but I could be wrong.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 09:46:06 PM »

I think runnersdialzero is now known as Diaphanous Moiety, but I could be wrong.
Are you out of loop? 1st, you mistake runnersdialzero with Jay, that's who you should talk about. 2nd, it's been 2 years ago since he used that name. Now he's Octopus Prime. Got it?
Don't thank me. police

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 02:03:31 AM »

Let's hope everyone is on their best non-name-changing behaviour on Monday, lol. 

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »

Let's hope everyone is on their best non-name-changing behaviour on Monday, lol. 

So I can't change my name to "jonh k" and ask Brian if he wears boxers or briefs or NUTHIN' AT ALL?!?!?!??!?!!

Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »

So I can't change my name to "jonh k" and ask Brian if he wears boxers or briefs or NUTHIN' AT ALL?!?!?!??!?!!

Cry
You can if you change it to "jonh k"---that's fine with me.  Grin

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

Are you out of loop? 1st, you mistake runnersdialzero with Jay, that's who you should talk about. 2nd, it's been 2 years ago since he used that name. Now he's Octopus Prime. Got it?
Don't thank me. police

Thank You!   Wink

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: