gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:13:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isolated He Gives Speeches backing vocals?  (Read 2956 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »

I really appreciate seltaeb1012002's Smile Mixer's Toolkit. It was an invaluable asset for me in working on my mix, I especially loved the inclusion of the "ooooos" from Barnyard, as I'd been looking for those for a long time.

That being said, does anyone have a cleaner isolation of the Backing vocals for He Gives Speeches? I wanted to experiment with using them with the "Rock, Rock Roll" parts of Worms, but the piano in the background, however faint, ruins it.

I've tried doing it myself, but I'm not talented enough at isolations to produce one that's "clean."

I may be pushing my luck with this next request, but are there any isolated vocals from the Surf's Up coda? I thought I'd try overlaying the "have you listened as they play?" Lyrics on top of the fadeout of CIFOTM in my mix.

If anyone could help me out with either of these, it'd really mean a lot. Thanks in advance.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »

I may be pushing my luck with this next request, but are there any isolated vocals from the Surf's Up coda? I thought I'd try overlaying the "have you listened as they play?" Lyrics on top of the fadeout of CIFOTM in my mix.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for but there's an "acapella" version of "Surf's Up" on some bootleg but I don't remember on which. 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »

Get the Boot Volume 1. Great bootleg.  Smiley
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:10:49 PM by zatch » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

The Endless Harmony DVD centre channel mix of Surf's Up presents an almost perfectly isolated Al vocal in the tag.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »

The Endless Harmony DVD centre channel mix of Surf's Up presents an almost perfectly isolated Al vocal in the tag.

You mean this? I'm not sure what you mean by center channel mix, tho. Like isolate just the center channel?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004RETT?pc_redir=1402662240&robot_redir=1

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »

Get the Boot Volume 1. Great bootleg.  Smiley

Thanks for the recommendation. And thanks everyone, for the replies. I'm just trying to use as much of the material as possible without breaking the flow.

Maybe a ridiculous question, but does anyone else think Al's vocal might've been at least one of the originally intended lyrics for the CIFOTM verse? Ive been starting to wonder if the '71 Surf's Up coda was a genuinely vintage piece from a 1967 Surf's Up or another recycled SMiLE fragment from an abandoned song. After the trumpet theme was reused for Little Bird, it's doubtful CIFOTM would ever see the light of day.

It makes sense that since the original insumentation wasn't used for whatever reason that Brian would feel the need to add something to 'sweeten' Surfs Up in 1971. But I think if it was originally there in 1967 Brian wouldve sung the main lyrics Al sang in the 71 version on TV or during the Wild Honey sessions.

If there's also just the isolated "child, child a-child, father of the man" lyrics from Surf's Up '71, I might try overlaying them back in the coda as well the next time around. It's just I really wanted to try out the coda with the eerie horn section of Talking Horns, but I thought it'd sound too busy with the full '71 coda overtop of it. Without Al's lyrics and the "Na-Na's" tho, I think it could work out with the other vocal parts and trumpets. And then this way, you get the reprise of Child to tie the suite together, but each song remains its own seperate entity and we can enjoy what I think is somewhat closer to what a fully-formed '67 Surf's Up may have been.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:14:58 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »

You mean this? I'm not sure what you mean by center channel mix, tho. Like isolate just the center channel?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004RETT?pc_redir=1402662240&robot_redir=1

That's it.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »

I really appreciate seltaeb1012002's Smile Mixer's Toolkit.

Wait, where one could find this?

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 12:26:06 AM »

Maybe a ridiculous question, but does anyone else think Al's vocal might've been at least one of the originally intended lyrics for the CIFOTM verse?

Jack Rieley claimed to have written the new lyrics of the 1971 coda. Or rather, he said words to the effect of "I have to be careful here because the credited writers are Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks", then listed all the people involved who DIDN'T write those lyrics, leaving the reader to conclude they were his by process of elimination. I just searched for the thread where this interview was posted but it seems to have been wiped or else it's unavailable at the moment. N.B. Some here advise that Rieley's words are always to be read sceptically.

Please delete my account
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »

I really appreciate seltaeb1012002's Smile Mixer's Toolkit.

Wait, where one could find this?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12503.0.html

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »

Maybe a ridiculous question, but does anyone else think Al's vocal might've been at least one of the originally intended lyrics for the CIFOTM verse?

Jack Rieley claimed to have written the new lyrics of the 1971 coda. Or rather, he said words to the effect of "I have to be careful here because the credited writers are Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks", then listed all the people involved who DIDN'T write those lyrics, leaving the reader to conclude they were his by process of elimination. I just searched for the thread where this interview was posted but it seems to have been wiped or else it's unavailable at the moment. N.B. Some here advise that Rieley's words are always to be read sceptically.

Very interesting. Either way, that proves my hypothesis that the '71 coda wouldnt have been part of the song in 1967. I guess it was a long-shot to assume Al's vocal was the CIFOTM verse-lyrics...but what can I say, I'm desperate to know what they would've been, haha.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »

While searching for something else I belatedly found the interview with the exact quote:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9651.0.html

Subject: RE: SURF:S UP
To: pet-sounds@lists.primenet.com
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 1996 1:39 PM

> The couplet was written during the recording of the moving
> backgrounds for the Surfs Up album.

by whom? you? brian? carl? al? van dyke?

(sorry to pester you about this - as many people on this list know,
i'm a HUGE Smile fanatic, so these little tidbits are indespensible
to me!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Oct 17 1996 - 1:47pm

Dave,

There's no writer's credit officially given, so I am somewhat
reticent about this question. How about this.... it was not Brian,
Carl, Jardine, Love, Johnston, Van Dyke Parks, Dennis or Steve
Desper.

Perhaps you will excuse this admittedly chicken-sh*t way around your
question. The couplet's authorship should of course have been
credited. It was not.

- Jack

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:28 AM »

While searching for something else I belatedly found the interview with the exact quote:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9651.0.html

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 1996 1:39 PM

> The couplet was written during the recording of the moving
> backgrounds for the Surfs Up album.

by whom? you? brian? carl? al? van dyke?

(sorry to pester you about this - as many people on this list know,
i'm a HUGE Smile fanatic, so these little tidbits are indespensible
to me!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Oct 17 1996 - 1:47pm

Dave,

There's no writer's credit officially given, so I am somewhat
reticent about this question. How about this.... it was not Brian,
Carl, Jardine, Love, Johnston, Van Dyke Parks, Dennis or Steve
Desper.

Perhaps you will excuse this admittedly chicken-sh*t way around your
question. The couplet's authorship should of course have been
credited. It was not.

- Jack

Huh. Well, I guess now I don't feel the need to include those lyrics then, if it's pretty obviously not vintage 1966/7. Thanks for answering that question for me. Maybe I'll still add them anyway if they fit together.

I'd still be interested in isolated HGS backing vocals and those isolated "hawaiian bits" from Wonderful Version 2 Tag that I used in my take of Look. Should any of these exist.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »

"seltaeb1012002's Smile Mixer's Toolkit"

And where can we find such a piece?  Smiley
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:10:15 PM by zatch » Logged
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »

Well thank you com'rade

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »

Well thank you com'rade

Face it...freedom failed.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx