gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:19:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Demos/Songs that you wish made the final cut  (Read 3508 times)
JohnnyQuest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »

This song would've fit Quadrophenia perfectly. The HARMONIES!!  Love
A song that reflects Jimmy's four distinct personalities.  
The Who - Four Faces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VASCeLokLk

I know the Thriller version was a smash hit but this one is very dear to my heart.
Michael Jackson - PYT Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNh1jA7KnVo

Could've been The Kinks 4th Top 10 hit in America.
The Kinks - She's Got Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKTZhyY5-VM
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:38:10 PM by JohnnyQuest » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »

Good topic! A couple come to mind...

The Doors  "Celebration Of The Lizard" - I wish they could've made that work on Waiting For The Sun; I thought that album would've benefited from from one of their classic long songs. I really like the Absolutely Live version, though.

The Beach Boys  "Sea Cruise" and/or "Michael Row The Boat Ashore" - And then take off "Talk To Me" or maybe "A Casual Look". I'm STILL trying to fix 15 Big Ones!

Dennis Wilson  "Tug Of Love" and "My Love Lives On" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" - Those songs should've been heard a long time ago.

Bob Dylan  "Red River Shore" added to Time Out Of Mind and "Blind Willie McTell" added to Infidels - I will never understand how Bob Dylan could not want those songs released (at that time).

Andy Williams  "You Meet The Nicest People" - Andy did a version of this song on one of his Christmas TV Specials, but never recorded a studio version. Great little holiday song.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »

The Byrds: "Mae Jean Goes To Hollywood" and "Lover of The Bayou." "Mae Jean" is such a fun song and McGuinn's vocal sounds great. I'd rather have it on "Ballad of Easy Rider" than "There Must Be Someone (I Can Turn To)." As for "Lover of The Bayou," I really think they should have put the studio version on "Untitled" and replaced the live version with something else. The studio version blows me away every time I hear it.

The Band: "Get Up Jake." The story I've heard is that this song was slated to be on "The Band," but was taken off because the album had too many songs. While I think the group made the right choice, I sure would've loved to have it on the album instead of just a B-Side and a bonus track.

Bob Dylan "She's Your Lover Now." This song was recorded during the "Blonde on Blonde" sessions, but a complete take with a full band was never achieved. Even in its unfinished state, the song proves itself as one of Dylan's best. I've always thought that this would've fit well on Side Three of the album, replacing "Temporary Like Achilles."

Queen: "Mad The Swine." A nice little song recorded for the groups first album. I must admit that I've never really listened to the words (probably why is wasn't released at the time) but the melody and vocals are great. One of their 90's B-Sides, it would've fit nicely on Side Two of their debut.

The Beatles: "That Means A Lot" and "Not Guilty." Both of these songs would've made good B-Sides, better album tracks though. I can see why "That Means A Lot" wasn't released, but it just needed a little more work. Could have replaced "Tell Me What You See" on "Help." "Not Guilty' wasn't on The White Album because that would've given George too many songs, but hey, it's better than "Wild Honey Pie."

The Beach Boys: "Sherry, She Needs Me." I love this song. If it had been finished for "Summer Days (And Nights!!)": awesome. Had it been used in its current state on "Love You": even better. either way, it should have been released long before 2013.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »

I always liked the Beatles' original "Ob la Di Ob la Da"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnt5kZsVvls

It's.... so..... Smoooooooth

JohnnyQuest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »

The Byrds: "Mae Jean Goes To Hollywood" and "Lover of The Bayou." "Mae Jean" is such a fun song and McGuinn's vocal sounds great. I'd rather have it on "Ballad of Easy Rider" than "There Must Be Someone (I Can Turn To)." As for "Lover of The Bayou," I really think they should have put the studio version on "Untitled" and replaced the live version with something else. The studio version blows me away every time I hear it.

The Beatles: "That Means A Lot" and "Not Guilty." Both of these songs would've made good B-Sides, better album tracks though. I can see why "That Means A Lot" wasn't released, but it just needed a little more work. Could have replaced "Tell Me What You See" on "Help." "Not Guilty' wasn't on The White Album because that would've given George too many songs, but hey, it's better than "Wild Honey Pie."

What about She Has A Way by The Byrds?  Smiley I honestly believe that would've been the standout song of Mr. Tambourine Man. (Aside from the single of course)

I also wish The Beatles released Bad To Me instead of Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas. It would've fit in perfectly with the rest of With The Beatles.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »

I just remembered what "that means alot" is... I heard it on the Anthology back in the day, I have to agree with that one, beautiful song.  I didn't realize that wasn't released. 

"Your friend says that your love won't mean alot... but you know that you're love is all you've got! 
At times, things are so fine; and at times, they're not.... but when she says she loves you; that means alot!"

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »

The White album Demos boot is great. Particularly love Revolution and While My Guitar Gently Weeps acoustic.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:52:36 AM »

The RS "Crackin' Up" (60s cover)
Beatles mellotron demos
The Chocolate Watch Band "Misty Lane" (alt.)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »

There are a number of tunes by The Association that, for whatever reason, never made the grade - with the wonderful Larry Ramos / Brian Cole duet on 'Faith' being a highlight that, IMHO, should have appeared on one of the early 70s albums...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »

Much of the stuff off of Wake The World!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:05:00 PM »

Aerovons' McCartney-esque "Here" should've been in the album final tracklist & dullfest "Bessy Goodhart" & few songs in the can instead.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 06:49:32 AM »

I think that the shorter, acoustic version of November Rain that was recorded in 1986 should have been released on "GN'R Lies".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx