gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:51:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sound Of Free on MIC  (Read 7383 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »

Maybe it was because in the interim between SOF and MIC a very famous Kenny Rogers song came out and the compilers did not want prospective box set customers to mistake the song "Lady" for being a cover of the famous Lionel Richie tune?  Huh

That theory ^ is a long shot, but the thought has crossed my mind, too! Shocked Grin

Obviously the title was changed to "Fallin' In Love" by Spring because of the change in genders in the lyrics. But I have two theories why it hasn't returned to "Lady", albeit both bad ones. Maybe because, just barely, Spring's version was more popular than Dennis' version and they wanted to piggyback on the more well-known title/release (I know, it's weak). But, another maybe. Maybe, based on Dennis' introduction on The David Frost Show, he really DID, in the end, want it to be titled "Fallin' In Love". Which came first, The David Frost Show or the release of the single?

Is The Super Furry Animals' Under The Influence release of "Lady" a needledrop?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »

It's on his thread, but basically that the original was supposed to be quiet and intimate and the remix is a grand pronouncement with double-tracked vocals ruining the effect.

Which is why it's kinda stupid that this new version is on two higher profile Beach Boys releases, yet to get the original single version of "Lady" you gotta buy either the Super Furry Animals Under the Influence compilation or the Kitsuné Tabloid compilation by Phoenix. And while at least it's available, I don't think one should have to look further for the original version released during the artist's lifetime.

Thanxx for your input!  I'm certain Capitol/Universal Music executives are this very minute scrambling to do a fast track release  of the original Lady , so as not to disappoint you.

Why the dickish reply? I was just putting an opinion out there. I think people would be annoyed if, for instance Capitol or The Beach Boys or whoever started putting  the SMiLE Sessions of "Surf's Up" instead of the 1971 version on CD issues of Surf's Up. I just think it's kinda in bad taste to promote what is basically a fan mix over the finished article.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 05:43:30 AM »

It's on his thread, but basically that the original was supposed to be quiet and intimate and the remix is a grand pronouncement with double-tracked vocals ruining the effect.

Thank you! Smiley 100% agree with Mr. Desper, I'll try to find it in his thread.

Desper was the greatest mixer they ever had, even with Linett generally doing a good job. One of the things that Mike really is to blame for is that he drove away Desper with his TM fundamentalism. (At least that is what I recall having read, if that is untrue please correct me.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »

No prob. That's also true, Mike wanted a TMer and Desper said no. I wonder how that affected Carl and Dennis, they really seemed to flourish in the Desper era...

Watch out for snakes!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 01:49:58 AM »

Which is why it's kinda stupid that this new version is on two higher profile Beach Boys releases, yet to get the original single version of "Lady" you gotta buy either the Super Furry Animals Under the Influence compilation or the Kitsuné Tabloid compilation by Phoenix. And while at least it's available, I don't think one should have to look further for the original version released during the artist's lifetime.

I'd never heard of the Kitsune Tabloid release until this post, so many thanks!

Is this a needle drop also?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »

I'm pretty sure it might be the same one as the SFA comp. It's on iTunes, at least here in America. I'd assume it's probably around the rest of the world too.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »

The original Lady is on Super Furry Animals' 'Under The Influence' CD. So it is out there...

Is this version a needle drop? 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure it might be the same one as the SFA comp. It's on iTunes, at least here in America. I'd assume it's probably around the rest of the world too.

On Amazon downloads too
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »

On Amazon downloads too

Just bought it from Amazon. Thanks SmilinEd!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »

On Amazon downloads too

Thanks a bunch, I just got it off Amazon too!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx