gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:52:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sound Of Free on MIC  (Read 7384 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »

Does anyone know if the version of Sound Of Free on the Made In California boxset is from a needledrop. It sure sounds like it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »

Why would you say that? It doesn't sound that much better sonically than on the original 45 or the Australian Rarities album or boots. Same old mono. If so, any clicks/pops have been removed.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »

Does anyone know if the version of Sound Of Free on the Made In California boxset is from a needledrop. It sure sounds like it.

I asked pretty much the same thing recently, but I don't think I got an answer.

It sure seems like it's a needledrop to me. It's also odd to me that they used that "Fallin' In Love" remix on Made In California instead of the single version which is entitled "Lady". Seems like maybe they don't have the master for it?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »

I asked pretty much the same thing recently, but I don't think I got an answer.

It sure seems like it's a needledrop to me. It's also odd to me that they used that "Fallin' In Love" remix on Made In California instead of the single version which is entitled "Lady". Seems like maybe they don't have the master for it?

They had access to the multi-tracks for "Lady". For "Sound Of Free", they didn't even have the mono production master to use.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:30:35 AM »

Craig, I knew that the BRI vaults didn't contain a tape of "Sound of Free," but I thought they were able to locate a tape of it of some generation in one of the EMI Europe vaults.  But I agree, aural evidence would indicate otherwise.

Lee
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »

Yeah Lee, it just sounds like it. A very clean copy, maybe an acetate. But it has the aural characteristics of a needle drop. Bringing it up in a sound editor it looks like it too. Alan Boyd, you around?
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »

I know sometimes they just disappear for no reason, but is there any story attached to how this master went missing?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »

I know "Fallin' In Love" was an alternate title for the song, but why was it used for the later remix of the song instead of its released title of "Lady"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:45:00 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Jason
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »

I know sometimes they just disappear for no reason, but is there any story attached to how this master went missing?

Considering the single was never released in the U.S., maybe the master was sent to Europe for the pressings? It's not uncommon.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »

Considering the single was never released in the U.S., maybe the master was sent to Europe for the pressings? It's not uncommon.

That seems reasonable, especially as all the 45 releases were in Europe (except for the New Zealand issue). Perhaps it's still in EMI's UK vaults somewhere, possibly mis-labeled?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

If a phone call couldn't be made to ship it over here or get a good digital transfer, the folks who run Capitol etc. are lazier than I had thought.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »

I know "Fallin' In Love" was an alternate title for the song, but why was it used for the later remix of the song instead of its released title of "Lady"?

Yeah. It really doesn't make sense, and it's also slightly bothersome, since a version was already released as "Lady", which was issued when Dennis was alive (obviously). And to change it just kinda seemed needless. I understand that American Spring's version came out as "Fallin' In Love" and perhaps that's what was in Alan Boyd's head when he scribbled down the tracklist for Capitol when they did Summer Love Songs.

And while I don't understand that need for a posthumous remix for Summer Love Songs, perhaps the compilers thought they could make a better version. However, for Made In California it especially doesn't make sense. They used the original single version for "Sound Of Free", so why not "Lady"? Truly a missed opportunity.

Also, I'm also kinda miffed why they were tinkering with a previously released Denny song anyways. I can understand the editing that was done to stuff like "Where Is She?" and "California Feelin'" since Brian is still here to approve of the results. However, Dennis has no say in these things that are now done to his work.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »

I have listened to this track several times today. This really sounds like a needle drop. A VERY clean one. Mark done good Smiley.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »

Yeah. It really doesn't make sense, and it's also slightly bothersome, since a version was already released as "Lady", which was issued when Dennis was alive (obviously). And to change it just kinda seemed needless. I understand that American Spring's version came out as "Fallin' In Love" and perhaps that's what was in Alan Boyd's head when he scribbled down the tracklist for Capitol when they did Summer Love Songs.

And while I don't understand that need for a posthumous remix for Summer Love Songs, perhaps the compilers thought they could make a better version. However, for Made In California it especially doesn't make sense. They used the original single version for "Sound Of Free", so why not "Lady"? Truly a missed opportunity.

Also, I'm also kinda miffed why they were tinkering with a previously released Denny song anyways. I can understand the editing that was done to stuff like "Where Is She?" and "California Feelin'" since Brian is still here to approve of the results. However, Dennis has no say in these things that are now done to his work.

Alan and Mark's incessant tinkering is a major downer for me re MIC. They've obviously never heard the expression 'If it ain't broke...'
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 03:26:51 AM »

When the BBs performed the song on the David Frost show, Dennis himself introduced it as "Fallin' In Love". Personally, I like "Lady" as a title better. And the "Landlocked" mix is the definite one. It only fades out too soon.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »

Based on what SWD said about Lady vs. the remixed Fallin' in Love, I, too am saddened that the official Dennis-created mix was not included on MIC.

Watch out for snakes!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »

Is this the original mix of Lady? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2pPpeXt4Xs
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »

No, it's not.  This is an interesting version with a few bars of extra intro at the beginning and a few female backing vocals I've never heard before.  Thanks for making me aware of it!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »

The original Lady is on Super Furry Animals' 'Under The Influence' CD. So it is out there...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 03:57:05 AM »

No, it's not.  This is an interesting version with a few bars of extra intro at the beginning and a few female backing vocals I've never heard before.  Thanks for making me aware of it!

That's a combination of the orignal DW/Rumbo version and American Spring's 1973 remake.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 04:18:10 AM »

Based on what SWD said about Lady vs. the remixed Fallin' in Love,

So what exactly did he say?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »

It's on his thread, but basically that the original was supposed to be quiet and intimate and the remix is a grand pronouncement with double-tracked vocals ruining the effect.

Watch out for snakes!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

It's on his thread, but basically that the original was supposed to be quiet and intimate and the remix is a grand pronouncement with double-tracked vocals ruining the effect.

Which is why it's kinda stupid that this new version is on two higher profile Beach Boys releases, yet to get the original single version of "Lady" you gotta buy either the Super Furry Animals Under the Influence compilation or the Kitsuné Tabloid compilation by Phoenix. And while at least it's available, I don't think one should have to look further for the original version released during the artist's lifetime.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »

Which is why it's kinda stupid that this new version is on two higher profile Beach Boys releases, yet to get the original single version of "Lady" you gotta buy either the Super Furry Animals Under the Influence compilation or the Kitsuné Tabloid compilation by Phoenix. And while at least it's available, I don't think one should have to look further for the original version released during the artist's lifetime.

Thanxx for your input!  I'm certain Capitol/Universal Music executives are this very minute scrambling to do a fast track release  of the original Lady , so as not to disappoint you.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx