gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:21:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 567484 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: March 23, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »

Of the three songs which have been released, I like "Sail Away" the best. I really liked Blondie's voice too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2601 on: March 23, 2015, 07:52:06 AM »

Great!

Great falsetto by Matt (?) as well!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:55 AM »

Thanks for posting!!

WOW Shocked the whole song is amazing - but this coda is really good. That bass harmonica really adds a great tone to the chorus (I know it's far from a 60s Spector production, but the chorus has so many elements that add up to a sort of 'Wall of Sound' - vocals, instruments, etc - really gives it a classic Beach Boys sound). Blondie sounds really damn good, Al - 'nuff said.

This is probably my favorite upbeat Brian tune since This Whole World. You can really tell he put a lot into this album. Can't wait to hear the whole record!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:03:39 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: March 23, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »

This is the best cut so far.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: March 23, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »

Will Al's voice ever age?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2605 on: March 23, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »

Wow...I've been looking forward to hearing that particular tune, and it does not disappoint!  What a great sound, and a very enjoyable song.  Still can't wait to hear "Saturday Night" in its entirety.

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: March 23, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: March 23, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »

Uh... meh. Once again, sadly, I'm not feeling the love. It's like a third-generation MOR photocopy of Sloop John B, with knowing little hints to the 12-string guitar, the flute riff and the glockenspiel parts from that song.

As I said about Runaway Dancer, I like that Brian is trying new things, even if RD hasn't quite clicked for me. But this is just a watered-down Imagination B-Side.

I don't gain any joy from saying that. Props absolutely to Brian for continuing to do what he does best, especially considering all that he's been through and at his age! But I don't think this track is ever going to be one of my favourite works by him. That's prolly just me... I'm ill in bed with a vomiting virus, so I'm not in the best place to assess...!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

Holy crap! Epic. The Sloop call backs don't bother me much. So powerful and uplifting. This album is shaping up to be better than TWGMTR and Imagination for me. Haven't listend to any samples, so I'm really excited to discover the full album.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »

"He also says he contributed a new song called “One Kind of Love” to “Love & Mercy,” the forthcoming biopic about his life in theaters June 5."

Has this been mentioned before?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: March 23, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »

Ah! This song makes me happy. I can see it being my summer cruise jam this year!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2611 on: March 23, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »

To borrow a masterful one-liner from another fan (whose name I do not know):

When you write Pet Sounds, you can quote whatever the f*** you want.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 23, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »

But I don't think this track is ever going to be one of my favourite works by him.

To each his own, and you're certainly within your rights to not like the song, but this is a pretty high standard to set.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: March 23, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »

The beginning of Sail away starts off super strong. I was even getting a little "Love You" vibe from the bass harmonica. The first verse's melody reminded me of something like Solar System as well.

After Brian's verse it really trails off.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2614 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:55:36 PM by zatch » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: March 23, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »

Doing my very best to abstain from listening to any more clips or full songs from the album, until its release. Gonna be hard, but I want to get the full, proper album experience of listening to songs I've never (sans The Right Time) heard before.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »

Argh, this stuff is always released when I'm at school and can't listen. I was most looking forward to this track, so I can't wait to hear it in a few hours!

Do the right thing and drop out of school.  Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 23, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »

The beginning of Sail away starts off super strong. I was even getting a little "Love You" vibe from the bass harmonica. The first verse's melody reminded me of something like Solar System as well.

After Brian's verse it really trails off.

What do you mean by "trails off".

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2618 on: March 23, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »

Doing my very best to abstain from listening to any more clips or full songs from the album, until its release. Gonna be hard, but I want to get the full, proper album experience of listening to songs I've never (sans The Right Time) heard before.

I can totally understand where you're coming from, but at the same time life is such that we should sometimes take it one day at a time and enjoy what's here and available in the present rather than waiting for things to happen in the future. I'd say listen to a full song like this today along with any of the full songs that are coming out before the album itself, and if you enjoy it, you've done something to make today even better.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 23, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »

The Right Time, Runaway Dancer, Sail Away ... all really great stuff!

No Pier Pressure really benefits from all the added voices.  So far I'm totally blown away by these first three complete tracks from NPP.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 23, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »

Well ... this explains your moniker "Century Deprived".

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 23, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »

"Sail Away" is going to be an earworm, I guarantee it. Very, very nice.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #2622 on: March 23, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »

To borrow a masterful one-liner from another fan (whose name I do not know):

When you write Pet Sounds, you can quote whatever the f*** you want.  Grin

LOL  Somehow I missed that quote.  Love it and agree, of course.  Sail Away is so rich I want to lick it or something...Yep - just played it on the big speakers - Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche, for sure...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:50:45 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 23, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »

So many synths! This is one of those tracks where you hear more and more each time you listen through. Wish Blondie had more lead vocal lines, though.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »

This is THE BEACH BOYS! They're back.

Great song, Sail Away is my fave so far. I am pretty sure the Vegas version will blow us away too.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx