gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:06:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564738 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2500 on: January 11, 2015, 02:42:53 AM »

Beck collaboration, ergo not considered unless things have changed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gohi
« Reply #2501 on: January 11, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »

a.k.a: I don't know.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2502 on: January 11, 2015, 09:10:15 AM »

"Danny Boy" was one that everyone got a chance to hear/preview when it was performed on Jimmy Fallon's show if they didn't see the Brian/Beck shows in person or didn't hear it properly on YouTube cel phone clips. It was really unique, it was different, and I thought it was a great performance and arrangement of a song you'd probably never consider could be done that way. Guitar instrumental with backing, really interesting version. If it were worked up in the studio and done up with those backing vocal harmony stacks from Brian, and possibly (or possibly not) Al since he was on the Fallon stage with Beck, it would be worth hearing for sure.

Unfortunately given the events and various press blurbs since the tour, the track would seem to be in limbo, I'd lean more toward it not showing up on the official album for those reasons. But that remains to be seen.  Smiley

For those who don't want to wade through audience cel-phone vids of the song from the tour, here is the Fallon appearance in good quality, Our Prayer segue into Danny Boy. For my money, this is one mother***ker of a guitar performance and the vocals kick it into high gear when they come in.  Smiley  I've had issues with Jeff Beck based on the obvious stuff around that tour, but holy cow the guy plays his ass off on this one. Like a classic guitar instrumental from the 50's or 60's. Neat stuff.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15tmpi_brian-wilson-jeff-beck-our-prayer-danny-boy-live-on-jimmy-fallon_music

PS: If not on the album, maybe a limited edition 45RPM release suitable for jukeboxes to be played in bars just before last call... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 11, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »

Also possible that Beck tracks have been reworked with another soloing instrumentalist -- Mark Isham, for instance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:24:47 AM by Wirestone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2504 on: January 11, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »

Mark Isham played the Vegas show with Brian, sure, but for studio recordings I think Jeff Beck pretty much owned Danny Boy on guitar, and his unique guitar style was the hook of the whole song. Beck made it sound like a combination of a lap steel/Hawaiian slide mixed in with Roy Buchanan/Jerry Donahue/Danny Gatton string bending. Not to take anything away from Isham's trumpet playing which is terrific, but Danny Boy worked as a guitar instrumental, I'd hate to see it released without that guitar being the hook. You'd lose most of the appeal and sonic signature if Beck's quirky 50's/60's guitar playing was replaced by a horn.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: January 11, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

"Danny Boy" was one that everyone got a chance to hear/preview when it was performed on Jimmy Fallon's show if they didn't see the Brian/Beck shows in person or didn't hear it properly on YouTube cel phone clips. It was really unique, it was different, and I thought it was a great performance and arrangement of a song you'd probably never consider could be done that way. Guitar instrumental with backing, really interesting version. If it were worked up in the studio and done up with those backing vocal harmony stacks from Brian, and possibly (or possibly not) Al since he was on the Fallon stage with Beck, it would be worth hearing for sure.

Unfortunately given the events and various press blurbs since the tour, the track would seem to be in limbo, I'd lean more toward it not showing up on the official album for those reasons. But that remains to be seen.  Smiley

For those who don't want to wade through audience cel-phone vids of the song from the tour, here is the Fallon appearance in good quality, Our Prayer segue into Danny Boy. For my money, this is one mother***ker of a guitar performance and the vocals kick it into high gear when they come in.  Smiley  I've had issues with Jeff Beck based on the obvious stuff around that tour, but holy cow the guy plays his ass off on this one. Like a classic guitar instrumental from the 50's or 60's. Neat stuff.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15tmpi_brian-wilson-jeff-beck-our-prayer-danny-boy-live-on-jimmy-fallon_music

PS: If not on the album, maybe a limited edition 45RPM release suitable for jukeboxes to be played in bars just before last call... Grin
That was absolutely beautiful.  Thank you for sharing the link with us, gf2002.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but it sounds like a great way to close an album to me.

Now, I understand that some unpleasantness may have arisen between the respective BW and Jeff Beck camps; and I also know Mr. Beck has stated that he feels he wasn't given the opportunity to lay down a proper take of the number.  But if what was recorded in the studio in any way approaches what I just experienced while watching that clip, I think it would be an awful shame for "Danny Boy" not to appear on No Pier Pressure.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 11, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »

a.k.a: I don't know.
It's been stated several times that none of the Beck collaborations (except Danny Boy) would be included in the album.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 11, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

Capital record employee I follow on Instagram posted these pictures to his account yesterday. States Brian and Zoey were filming for "On The Island" and "God Only Knows".

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 11, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »

Capital record employee I follow on Instagram posted these pictures to his account yesterday. States Brian and Zoey were filming for "On The Island" and "God Only Knows".

Not appearing for me… anyone else? Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 11, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »

Annnnnnnnnnnnd looks like the pictures won't post. Great.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 11, 2015, 11:16:25 AM »

RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: January 11, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »

Awesome, thanks GV33.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 11, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »

AWESOME!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: January 11, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

Awesome, thanks GV33.

Seconded… and thanks also to you! Smiley

RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »

Awesome, thanks GV33.

Seconded… and thanks also to you! Smiley

You're welcome!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 11, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »

Don't know how the copyright would work but any chance of getting the Fallon version of 'DB' added to NPP as a bonus track? Ideally if grumpy Beck signs off on it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 12, 2015, 03:36:39 AM »

How long have we been waiting for this album  LOL

When we eventually get a release date, track list etc it will seem like a dream

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »

Just beautiful; thank you for sharing the link.

Funny, I’ve listened to the Smile Sessions so much that it’s now weird for me to hear Our Prayer lead into anything other than Heroes and Villains. 

RZA
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: January 12, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »

I thought Beck said that DB was recorded truing his guitar tuning and without his knowledge or approval--something like that eh?  I can't listen to a minute of this. . . .other may love it, of course, but the entire Beck debacle is best forgotten. It produced no creative nor preformed work of merit.

Just beautiful; thank you for sharing the link.

Funny, I’ve listened to the Smile Sessions so much that it’s now weird for me to hear Our Prayer lead into anything other than Heroes and Villains. 

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 12, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »

That was the first time I'd heard this "version" of Danny Boy … I'd held off for the album version but now it looks like it's not coming, well…

… and listening, I can't help but think this is how it would sound if it was part of a Sponge Bob Squarepants soundtrack. Crabby Patty beats this hands down. Sorry…

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: January 12, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »

The killer woke before dawn, he put his earth shoes on
"I woke up in the morning and I got myself a pier!"

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2521 on: January 12, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »

... but the entire Beck debacle is best forgotten. It produced no creative nor preformed work of merit.

Ah, so you've heard all the Wilson/Beck sessions, have you ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 12, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »

'Sorry Jeff....The professor says I have to let you go.'
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 12, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »

The worst part about that picture is how Beck said in that interview the facebook pictures we're staged.

Brian just showed up, took a few shots for facebook then left  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 12, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »

The worst part about that picture is how Beck said in that interview the facebook pictures we're staged.

Brian just showed up, took a few shots for facebook then left  LOL

A bit depressing imo.

Have to say I'm very glad "Danny Boy" didn't make the album. Sorry, I'm just really not interested in something like that being on a Brian album. On a single or something, sure, but taking up space on an album, ehhh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx