gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:27:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564862 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: November 18, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »

Quote from: rab2591
Didn't realize that a music style from two decades ago is considered current.
I agree. That's a valid point that should be taken up with Joe.

Quote from: John Manning
So many folk seem to e writing this album off because it's too contemporary, not contemporary enough, because the guest artists are not their favourites or because it sounds too much like Wild honey or because it doesn't sound enough like Wild Honey…
I expect to enjoy the album. I enjoyed TWGMTR. But why aren't we allowed to be critical about anything? Are we just supposed sit back and say "Brian Wilson 10/10" about everything, unless Mike says something, at which point we're supposed to go "MIKE HAS GREAT POINT SHUT UP HATERZ"? What's the point of even having this board, then?

Folk can be as critical as they like… long as they've heard what they're being critical of. STFU until then, then it's a field day!!!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:28:30 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 18, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »

I'm sorry. Brian Wilson 10/10.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »

Until anything album-ish appears, surely 0/0. Unless you know better…

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 18, 2014, 12:33:55 PM »

Until anything album-ish appears, surely 0/0. Unless you know better…

Can't we agree that SIP is 0/0 and that Brian doin nothing is at least 1/0 or something?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »

I think a Brian-led R&R album would probably sound a lot more like his cover version of I'm Into Something Good than the 70s In Concert album.

I agree...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: November 18, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »

Why the fuck is an album that is done going to come out almost a half a year from now?

Stupid as hell. Brian could write & produce another album between now and then, but for some reason, nah, we gotta wait several months to hear music that is allegedly "done".

YOU SUCK, CAPITOL RECORDS. I probably won't even buy a copy of it anymore, knowing that these suit wearing muhfuckas are bogarting it to release at a time where they think they're more able to make more cash money off of it....

I agree.  I wish he'd just go all Prince or Weezer or Vince Gill on us and release about 30 or 40 songs a year.  We've only got so much time left together, Brian. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 18, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »

Yeah, let's all act like this new Brian Wilson album isn't gonna do well for like a WHOLE ENTIRE WEEK on the charts then sink like a fuckin' rock like that last Beach Boys album did just because it's gonna be released around the same time as some shitty John Cusack movie.

Get real, how bout?

Release this completed album now, since it's, you know, done, finished, sitting there collecting dust. This upcoming movie is already going to boost sales of albums already released, not a collection of songs that have nothing to do with this movie, why not strike while Lana Del Rey is actually still popular? Zooey Deschanel hasn't released a damn thing people have cared about in how many years? Since that Will Ferrell movie "Elf" came out, how many years ago? And that Nate Ruess fool, it's getting to be, what, 2+ years since that "tonight, we are young" song, which is the last thing/only thing by his band anybody actually gave a crap about came out?

Yeah, let's wait to release the album 'til some biopic starring some washed up actor is released to the general public!!! That oughta sell a million copies in January.

Let's all just pretend this is lalaland and that a Brian Wilson album will actually sell enough copies to support the guy, and he won't have to tour to support himself, like 99 out of 100 artists currently in the business have to do to make a living.

LALALAND SURE IS GREAT!!! I AM A PIRATE AND I COMMANDEER SHIPS WITH COTTON CANDY SAILS AND MASTS MADE OF PEPPERMINT TWISTS>

Preach it brother.  That's been my problem with this whole 'fake-hip' thing Brian's been doing with this album.  All of these people he's dueting with he doesn't have sh*t in common with, and they're not cutting edge, they're white-people cutting edge.  I'm white.  I know this.  I couldn't tell you who the 'hot' act is right now because by the time I hear about it, they're already yesterday's news.  By the time Brian hears about them, they're all retired.  He's recording an album with people who are probably sweethearts and all really nice singers, but why in the hell are we going way out of the way to record sh*t with has-beens?  At least when he recorded with Clapton/McCartney/Elton they were legends. 

I wonder why he didn't get 98 degrees, Shaggy, and Susan Boyle to record on the album with him?  Or here's a thought: why doesn't he do sh*t with people he actually knows and respects?  You can make a shaky argument for Zooey but all the others are just a misguided attempt at appearing hip.  I can respect him working with that acapella kid he did the song with a month ago because nobody knows who he is and it doesn't come off as Brian being desperate for relevancy. 

Just my opinion.  I could be wrong. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 18, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »

I think we really do have to sit back and accept what comes our way. Soon as we start saying "Oh Brian, Joe's not good enough for you…" or "Don't listen to your wifi manglers, listen to me Brian!" Or even "here, Brian, let me show you how you want to sound…" then we're part of the problem. So many folk seem to e writing this album off because it's too contemporary, not contemporary enough, because the guest artists are not their favourites or because it sounds too much like Wild honey or because it doesn't sound enough like Wild Honey…

I just want to hear what BW sounds like in 2014.

Or 2015.

John what it comes down to for me is I've always got a little voice in the back of my head telling me "this isn't what Brian wants".  You just cannot tell me that Brian Wilson wants to record a song with Lana Del Ray, or even knows who she is.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it reeks of Brian being manipulated.

Now, with THAT said, Brian if left to his own devices would probably be drinking a beer and eating a steak everyday and never record sh*t, so you have to give his people some credit for pushing him to share his genius with us... however when he's one of the greatest musicians alive and he's working with B list singers it stinks to high heaven. 

So of course his fans are going to be suspicious.  The best way to quell our suspicions is for Brian to release the great album he's completely capable of, where he's on his game and sounds interested in this music he's doing with these artists he's so excited to work with reportedly. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »

I think a few samples should be released myself or I may start to think the suits at the label are sending the album back for some re-working. Just my 2 cents.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2434 on: November 19, 2014, 04:50:56 AM »

We'll never know what goes on behind the scenes.

Oh yes we will. Eventually. Just takes time. And at the risk of invoking the ire of a certain cadre here, there are posters who have a very good idea of exactly what's going on behind the scenes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 19, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »

I'm anticipating "Last Song" the most. LDR's song "Ultraviolence" sounds really nice with harmonies. I think it'll be a great collaboration.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2436 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »

Oh yes we will. Eventually. Just takes time. And at the risk of invoking the ire of a certain cadre here, there are posters who have a very good idea of exactly what's going on behind the scenes.

Define "we" in this case, please. Is "we" all of us on the board or the "posters who have a very good idea of exactly what's going on"?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 19, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »

I can also say that in nearly every case where I've learned what's actually going on behind the scenes, it's virtually never as nefarious as feared. It's generally people being people and trying their best. Including Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2438 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:07 AM »

And that's probably the Beach Boys big problem since summer 1961 - people trying their best, or more precisely, people trying to do what they think is the best. I'm sure Landy and Murry thought they were trying their best...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2439 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »

Define "we" in this case, please. Is "we" all of us on the board or the "posters who have a very good idea of exactly what's going on"?

"We" - you, me, cousin Norman, Fred across the street and Jihadi John. In other words, mankind.

"Posters who have a very good idea of exactly what's going on" - do the math, join the dots, smell the roses, make a wild guess.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: November 20, 2014, 05:47:20 AM »

And that's probably the Beach Boys big problem since summer 1961 - people trying their best, or more precisely, people trying to do what they think is the best. I'm sure Landy and Murry thought they were trying their best...

Well, that's arguably one of the bigger problems with humanity itself, no?
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »

I'm anticipating "Last Song" the most. LDR's song "Ultraviolence" sounds really nice with harmonies. I think it'll be a great collaboration.

Backing vocals on the bridge are by 3 of the 4 Nashville session singers, The McCrary Sisters; the rest of the harmonies in the song are by Lana. That bridge is one of my favorite moments on that album. I am, by far, anticipating "Last Song" more than anything else on NPP, including any leads by Al, which is saying a lot because Al is my second favorite singer in the group, and we all know his voice has barely changed in half a century.

This post is not directed at anyone in particular. I just finally felt compelled to offer a perspective that i think has been lacking here. There is great irony to be found here in fanboys of what is probably the most misunderstood band of all time dismissing another wildly misunderstood and mischaracterized artist--one who has a HUGE body of highly varied, unreleased and lesser-known released music that is both unequivocally uncommercial and perfectly commercial, completely defying the one-dimensional view that the general public has reduced her to due to their failure of just digging a little below the surface. Does any of that sound familiar?

Even without having heard it yet, i feel i could say that this BW/LDR meeting is one of the best things to happen to Brian in a long time. In my mind, this match makes perfect sense, almost too much sense. I actually had what i thought then was a pipe dream about this happening well before it was announced. I've said it here before, but that was before the name Lana Del Rey was on this board's radar, so i'll say it again--she has repeatedly been mentioning her love of The Beach Boys for a long time, years before she became famous or anyone outside of NYC had even heard her name. She mentions them all the time. She's also singled out Dennis. When asked by German Rolling Stone earlier this year to list her top 10 favorite albums from the '70s, her #1 was Sunflower. She loves harmony, idiosyncratic arrangements, and traversing the line between the melancholy and the exuberantly, almost naively optimistic. She has great talent, versatility, character, and vision.   

I have been gradually, over the last few years, informally composing an essay in my mind detailing the myriad parallels between these two eccentric musical artists who were born a day apart from each other. Lana Del Rey and The Beach Boys are really the only pop music that i listen to obsessively, and i've been paying very close attention for a long time now, and the connections are there, they're quite apparent (just to briefly cite a few examples: mental health issues; a certain kind of insularity and alienation; the inability to eloquently discuss their own art even though they put so much of themselves into it; a similar kind of sensitivity and desire to be accepted; pathological about their interests; erratic and capricious personalities; hopelessly out of touch with the music scene despite being such singular artists themselves; certain aspects of family life--they're both the oldest of three siblings, etc.)

By the way, her father's business associate, Chris Hartnett, attended MIU, became close with the Maharishi, and helped build the MIU studio, which prompted the band to invite him on stage for a show in Iowa City (incidentally, i've always thought Hartnett bore an amusing resemblance to Al Jardine--check him out in this picture with Lana in her pre-fame days).

Now i don't buy for a second that it was Brian's idea to bring her in, but i couldn't be happier either way. I just really hope that he took full advantage of her capabilities and wrote a really neat, involved backing vocal arrangement for her to stack her voice to rather than just giving her the lead. I want to hear her all over this song. Really, if one has been paying any attention, the idea of Lana Del Rey singing on a BW record makes perfect sense. Since so many people here have been obstinate about not paying attention, perhaps a slight push in the right direction might do something to quell the concerns that a great, eccentric artist who undeniably travels her own path, and happens to be a big fan of The Beach Boys, is singing a lead on a Brian Wilson record.

I'll just leave two examples.

Listen to how she layers her voice in harmony on some of her laptop demos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqXuynmods

And in the studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4mjqQHOZs

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »

Backing vocals on the bridge are by 3 of the 4 Nashville session singers, The McCrary Sisters; the rest of the harmonies in the song are by Lana. That bridge is one of my favorite moments on that album. I am, by far, anticipating "Last Song" more than anything else on NPP, including any leads by Al, which is saying a lot because Al is my second favorite singer in the group, and we all know his voice has barely changed in half a century.

This post is not directed at anyone in particular. I just finally felt compelled to offer a perspective that i think has been lacking here. There is great irony to be found here in fanboys of what is probably the most misunderstood band of all time dismissing another wildly misunderstood and mischaracterized artist--one who has a HUGE body of highly varied, unreleased and lesser-known released music that is both unequivocally uncommercial and perfectly commercial, completely defying the one-dimensional view that the general public has reduced her to due to their failure of just digging a little below the surface. Does any of that sound familiar?

Even without having heard it yet, i feel i could say that this BW/LDR meeting is one of the best things to happen to Brian in a long time. In my mind, this match makes perfect sense, almost too much sense. I actually had what i thought then was a pipe dream about this happening well before it was announced. I've said it here before, but that was before the name Lana Del Rey was on this board's radar, so i'll say it again--she has repeatedly been mentioning her love of The Beach Boys for a long time, years before she became famous or anyone outside of NYC had even heard her name. She mentions them all the time. She's also singled out Dennis. When asked by German Rolling Stone earlier this year to list her top 10 favorite albums from the '70s, her #1 was Sunflower. She loves harmony, idiosyncratic arrangements, and traversing the line between the melancholy and the exuberantly, almost naively optimistic. She has great talent, versatility, character, and vision.   

I have been gradually, over the last few years, informally composing an essay in my mind detailing the myriad parallels between these two eccentric musical artists who were born a day apart from each other. Lana Del Rey and The Beach Boys are really the only pop music that i listen to obsessively, and i've been paying very close attention for a long time now, and the connections are there, they're quite apparent (just to briefly cite a few examples: mental health issues; a certain kind of insularity and alienation; the inability to eloquently discuss their own art even though they put so much of themselves into it; a similar kind of sensitivity and desire to be accepted; pathological about their interests; erratic and capricious personalities; hopelessly out of touch with the music scene despite being such singular artists themselves; certain aspects of family life--they're both the oldest of three siblings, etc.)

By the way, her father's business associate, Chris Hartnett, attended MIU, became close with the Maharishi, and helped build the MIU studio, which prompted the band to invite him on stage for a show in Iowa City (incidentally, i've always thought Hartnett bore an amusing resemblance to Al Jardine--check him out in this picture with Lana in her pre-fame days).

Now i don't buy for a second that it was Brian's idea to bring her in, but i couldn't be happier either way. I just really hope that he took full advantage of her capabilities and wrote a really neat, involved backing vocal arrangement for her to stack her voice to rather than just giving her the lead. I want to hear her all over this song. Really, if one has been paying any attention, the idea of Lana Del Rey singing on a BW record makes perfect sense. Since so many people here have been obstinate about not paying attention, perhaps a slight push in the right direction might do something to quell the concerns that a great, eccentric artist who undeniably travels her own path, and happens to be a big fan of The Beach Boys, is singing a lead on a Brian Wilson record.

I'll just leave two examples.

Listen to how she layers her voice in harmony on some of her laptop demos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqXuynmods

And in the studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4mjqQHOZs

I don't know whether LDR has a huge body of work as of yet but yes I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Top work and thumbs up, way up for this post.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 20, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »

Great post, moniker. Checked out those links and boy yes I like those arrangements. Kinda reminds me of some of Laurie Anderson's works, only troubled, more personal angst coming out.

I'm looking forward to hearing this collab even more for that.

But hey, I've been slated here for being a fan boy before now!

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

TBH I wouldn't mind if BW was just sitting at his piano/keys through all his shows just doing some backup vocals or something. His leads are not what they used to and tbh there is no shame in allowing others to sing his song. He should still sing some songs but like Darlin' he could give more singing roles out. What matters is he's there, performing his music and he's delegating parts to his band.

If you watch the video for the live album 'In the Flesh' by Roger Waters, most of the performances are by other musicians, who also take more vocal responsibilities. Waters just plays in the background, does a lead here and there and generally just enjoys the show. It sure isn't less an experience as a result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTWsuyDYRM

Something I could imagine Brian might enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:00:39 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2445 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »

"We" - you, me, cousin Norman, Fred across the street and Jihadi John. In other words, mankind.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 20, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »

I don't know whether LDR has a huge body of work as of yet [...]

In relation to the relatively few years she’s been recording (since 2006-ish), she has a staggering amount of recorded material. Most of it is unreleased. But easily available, which is the key point. It’s tricky and exhausting to count it all up because her output is such a confusing mess, but, in addition to 5 released/made available albums, she has, in my cursory estimation, about 8 albums worth of unreleased material, and that’s not including at least 40 demos for songs that went on to receive a proper studio recording, or the plethora of alternate versions/arrangements for a handful of her songs (some of which have up to 4 different recorded versions!)

Some of her best stuff is unreleased, sitting alongside some pretty egregious attempts. But there’s this spirit that comes through in her output, that one can only really see if the time is taken to go through and digest it all, that shows someone who is willing to try essentially anything (in pop form) and is not afraid to fail. Sound familiar again?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »

TBH I wouldn't mind if BW was just sitting at his piano/keys through all his shows just doing some backup vocals or something. His leads are not what they used to and tbh there is no shame in allowing others to sing his song. He should still sing some songs but like Darlin' he could give more singing roles out. What matters is he's there, performing his music and he's delegating parts to his band.

If you watch the video for the live album 'In the Flesh' by Roger Waters, most of the performances are by other musicians, who also take more vocal responsibilities. Waters just plays in the background, does a lead here and there and generally just enjoys the show. It sure isn't less an experience as a result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTWsuyDYRM

Something I could imagine Brian might enjoy.

So I watched the Roger Waters video that you linked and I did see that he had a sideman singing "Money" and a few other songs which originally were Dave Gilmour lead vocals. Interesting decision on Roger's part. However, the thing with Brian is that he's not like Roger Waters is. If he's not singing the lead (actually sometimes even when he is singing lead) he looks like a lost, uncomfortable old man who shouldn't be onstage. Roger Waters on the other hand, is walking around the stage, playing bass, leading his band. So I think it's quite different.

However on the other hand, Roger Waters hasn't released a new studio album in forever, nor a new great new song in a long time, whereas Brian has released That Lucky Old Sun and That's Why God Made The Radio recently, and has penned the arguable new classics "Midnight's Another Day", "From There To Back Again" and "Summer's Gone". So whatever. The stage isn't Brian's thing. Although every so often he gives a transcendental performance.

Lastly, I do think it wouldn't hurt to just have Brian not doing so many of the old Mike leads like "I Get Around", "California Girls" and "Surfin' USA". He never sounds particularly "right" doing them and if Al's gonna be around, why not have him do them? I feel like Al's voice is better suited to those tunes. I personally think it would make it for a better show to concentrate on some of the leads that were originally his where he can still sound good ("Please Let Me Wonder", "Caroline No", "Heroes And Villains", "You're So Good To Me") and a few of the Carl leads where he still sounds "right" ("Good Vibrations", "God Only Knows", "Good Timin"). One Mike lead I do feel like Brian DOES rock is "Do It Again" for whatever reason. Let him keep that one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:11:26 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2448 on: November 21, 2014, 12:58:56 AM »

Well, that's arguably one of the bigger problems with humanity itself, no?

True, dat... but sometimes it seems like The BB and their associates lead the field.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 23, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »

so here it is!  the official cover! from bw.com

What do ya's think?

Designed by Daria Wilson.

RickB
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:28:27 AM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx