gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:24:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564705 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 07, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »

So lovely that Daria made the cover art for her dad's new rec. And how! At 1st, those pilings reminded me of giant bishops from chess. Beautiful cover with ugly name. Altho, I might say that it does look very cool written in small letters and a little curved to the left. Modern touch, kind of. Dig the color contrast of gloomy & bright.

I hadn't realized this, but it's supposed to be a sign attached to one of the columns. Not immediately noticeable unless you look at it full sized.

Really?  I figured that was obvious, it being a pic of the bottom of a pier and all

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2276 on: November 07, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »

From FB

"I wanted to share some very exciting news with you – my new album ‘No Pier Pressure’ is finally finished and will be out in Spring of 2015! Full details will be announced after the first of the year. Check out the album art designed by Daria Wilson. Love and Mercy - Brian"

Leans back in chair, crosses arms and adopts expression of insufferable smugness.  Cheesy
then Mike Love gives you a back rub.

Works for me...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 07, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »

Hey, isn't that the Santa Monica Pier, the one Brian almost drove off of in the early 70's?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 07, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »

Here it is. Smiley

I think it's rather lovely for an album called No Pier PressureGrin

Brilliant! The best of his solo career. Can't wait to own this on vinyl.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #2279 on: November 07, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

Autotuna fish

I knew it, I knew it!  Brian used to make great tuna fish salad - put crunchy stuff in it that was terrific...I should have known he auto-tuna'd it...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: November 07, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »

FWIW, Daria posted on FB that she collaborated with a friend on the cover -- her contribution was the photo.

And really, the photo is my favorite part, so ...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: November 07, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »

FWIW, Daria posted on FB that she collaborated with a friend on the cover -- her contribution was the photo.

Wonder if that friend might be Mark London?

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: November 07, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

Wonder if that friend might be Mark London?

I wondered the same thing ...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2283 on: November 07, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »

Autotuna fish

I knew it, I knew it!  Brian used to make great tuna fish salad - put crunchy stuff in it that was terrific...I should have known he auto-tuna'd it...

LOL Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: November 07, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »

Does anyone know which pier this is? Huntington Beach perhaps?

Make waves, not love
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 08, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »

I'm with Mikie thinking its Santa Monica.

http://fineartamerica.com/products/under-the-santa-monica-pier-iii-heidi-reyher-art-print.html

http://fineartamerica.com/products/1-under-the-santa-monica-pier-heidi-reyher-art-print.html

I think its had some additions and rebuilds over the years.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:28:07 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2286 on: November 08, 2014, 03:53:21 AM »

I really like that cover! This would also have fitted well for TWGMTR or the ending suite at least.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: November 08, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »

For some reason I wonder if Joe Thomas has ever heard the Wiod Honey or So Tough albums....

Maybe just me.

No , me too

Interesting...

Neither myself, Joe Thomas, or anyone else on Earth has ever heard the "Wiod" Honey album! Sorry I should have been more clear about this, just a poor attempt at corrective humour on my part.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2288 on: November 08, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »

For some reason i read that as 'Wood Honey' LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: November 08, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

Why are there no young musicians who just are really good and really love what they do and put out album after album like Brian did. Sure, the music companies would be against it but someone wishing to grow musically and is changing and improving with each album is a uniquely Brian Wilson story.

I've never heard of a musical endeavour and odyssey quite as unique and inspiring as his.

Well, there's a couple things about this.

1. There's nobody like Brian Wilson... so of course nobody else is doing that

but your bigger point I think is, you're lamenting that there's no talent that works hard to get better, and releases album after album until they get incredibly good.

The reason that doesn't happen, right now, is because the entire music industry has changed.  It used to be profitable to release album after album, when Brian was coming up Capitol was behind them in a big way, and yes, he could release an album every 6 months if they were selling and Capitol would do it.  That would NEVER happen with a major label like Capitol today, no matter how talented you are. 

A similar thing happened in the country music industry; back in the day, if you were a promising artist like... oh Ronda Vincent or T.G. Shephard or Patty Loveless, they would sign you to a contract, and then do an album.  If the album didn't sell, they might help you go a different direction, try a different sound, a different band, more ballads, more upbeat, whatever.  Then if the second album didn't sell, they might try you as a duo with another artist, or whatever.

Today, if your first album doesn't sell VERY well, you'll get dropped in a heartbeat by the label.

All of that is different with indy labels and smaller labels, but they don't have the advertising budget or distribution connections that big labels have, so even the very talented musicians signed to these labels often never even get noticed by the mainstream... and without any kind of radio play to back them up, nobody knows who they are.

The major labels get the songs on the radio, get the music in stores, etc. but won't give the artist any kind of creedence when it comes to growing their careers like Brian did, and won't accept any mistakes or misfires. 

ALL of even THAT is changing as we speak since CD's and physical media is basically 10 years out of date and on it's death bed. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: November 08, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »

Seems to be a very contemporary and modern cover.  Sort of happy it isn't a cheesy sunset or surfboard.

... it's a cheesy picture of underneath the pier, right next to the surfboards and the sun.  It's like instead of taking a picture of the surfboard and the sunset, they just turned the camera around and took a picture, from the same spot, pointing another direction Smiley

With that said, I really like the album cover, i'm just saying if you had a problem with the surfing stuff you should probably still have a problem with this (clever pun notwithstanding)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: November 08, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »

If I had to nitpick, I personally would probably have gone for a slightly more subtle typography instead of the big bold yellow letters, but still: excellent cover art!

I like the font, it has a kind of goofy look to it, that identifies with big 'ol loveable Brian Wilson.  It's a little fat, a little loud, a little old fashioned, a little plain.  Fits Brian pretty well in my opinion.  I mean none of that as an insult, it just LOOKS right. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't like the cover art then...

Looks quite amateurish to me. The  "no pier pressure" sign doesn't blend with the background as it looks too shiny and out of place with its surroundings. It a nice pic but I'm not really feeling it for an album cover. Maybe when I hear the music or see it in high res, it will make more sense.

Opinions eh...what ya gonna do  Smokin

The only thing I would question is the font they used for "Brian Wilson".  But that is nitpicking to the nth degree.  This is a pretty good cover.  Just hope the music within the album is satisfying.

I agree...and size and color.  The "Brian Wilson" doesn't fit with the vibe of the picture in any way.

Brian's kind of like that though... listen to "Love & Mercy", where he writes about how his heart is breaking for the world.... and then listen to how he sings it like he's happy, oh so happy!!!!!

That's part of his mystique, sometimes he looks so sad, and then you get this immediate, huge teethy grin and he looks so happy!!! oh so happy!!!!  He has a manic way of emoting sometimes, I don't know if the medication is behind all that or not, but that's part of who the man is.

So his name in big bold Happy! oh so happy! Letters in front of a somber picture of under the pier is very fitting, in my opinion.  It's a great album cover. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: November 10, 2014, 06:11:20 AM »

Apologies if this has been posted already. December Las Vegas date to be filmed for AXS TV special:

http://www.venetian.com/entertainment/shows/brian-wilson.html

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »

Does anyone know which pier this is? Huntington Beach perhaps?

In Huntington and Malibu they're shooting the pier.

Photoshoot, that is Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2295 on: November 10, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »

I'm also given to understand that at Rincon they're walking the nose.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2296 on: November 10, 2014, 07:02:47 AM »

Apologies if this has been posted already. December Las Vegas date to be filmed for AXS TV special:

Soundstage = Joe "MORE AUTOTUNE !!!" Thomas.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:33 AM »

Brian's vocals are too sketchy in a live setting to realistically expect anyone to leave them alone in a live recording, so something--auto tune or rerecording or whatever--would be likely regardless.  (Not a knock on Brian, just the reality of "live" recording these past few, decades. And BW is on the shakier side of the pitch and confidence spectrum.) Hopefully the JT Delight has been retired for more tasteful treatment, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: November 10, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »

New guests confirmed for the album too -- Capitol Cities and Mark Isham.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »

Brian's vocals are too sketchy in a live setting to realistically expect anyone to leave them alone in a live recording, so something--auto tune or rerecording or whatever--would be likely regardless.  (Not a knock on Brian, just the reality of "live" recording these past few, decades. And BW is on the shakier side of the pitch and confidence spectrum.) Hopefully the JT Delight has been retired for more tasteful treatment, though.

Realistically, the special isn't even going to have live vocals -- even processed ones. It will be BW and co miming to the album tracks. Mark my words.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx