gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:49:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564868 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 29, 2014, 04:15:45 AM »

The most amazing thing to me is that back when everything was all analog n stuff, BW was producing 170 albums a year for The Boys. Now in 2014 where it's all digital and you can fart into the microphone and have it sound like music, this No Pier Pressure album, which could have been released 2 dozen times over by now, has no release date in sight.

Ain't that something? Don't you think that's weird? It should have taken a lot friggin' longer to release an album back in 1962 than it does here in the second decade of the 21st century.

And it's not just Brian. Other artists who used to brag about the 2 weeks it took them to record an album back in the day now take months or years to come out with a new album full of groovy tunes.

Can I get a comment on this paradox from one of Brian's people?

I am not one of Brian's people, but I would think it is delayed to coincide with the release of the movie.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2201 on: October 29, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »

And keep in mind that when an artist delivers an album to their label per their contract, it's in the label's hands as far as the release details and related issues. When I was trying to be a rock and roller in Boston in the 90's (  Smiley ) there was a band who was known as the "hot" Boston area band at the time. Good sound, great live shows, lot of hype, signed to a major label, they'd pack every club they played in the area, there was buzz about the leader and other band members how they was flying around doing recording work with other artists, etc. One of those big deals.

So they did make that album for a major label, unfortunately in between them delivering the album to that label and actually being able to "push" or promote it, the label had business and financial issues and the band's record basically sat dormant. So not only could they not do what they wanted to do in selling it, but they basically didn't get the promotion or the release events they were told they'd be getting for their major debut. So it basically didn't go anywhere. And I've heard variations of that story from dozens of artists, known and unknown.

I still have that debut album, it's a pretty solid album overall. Great guitar sounds. The last i heard was a total surprise as one of their songs about 8 years ago turned up in a commercial for Nissan or something. So they licensed it out and got placed in some TV spots, pretty cool. Probably made more money that way than actually selling CD's! 

Again, not specifically for this current album but just in general, more often the label is holding all the cards in terms of releasing an album after it's been delivered by the artist.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 29, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »

The music business ain't like it used to be. In the 60's, you could release multiple albums in a short time and expect them to sell well. Nowadays, people don't buy as many albums as they used to and you don't want to spend a lot of money recording and putting albums out when you're not confident you're even going to cover the expenses it took to create your music.

Additionally, record companies would have you sign contracts for something like  five albums to be released within a span of three years. Now, they'll ask for a smaller amount of albums over a much longer time span.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:32:23 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »

My guess is that the album is finished. We wouldn't have "Our Special Love" out and videos being filmed otherwise.

The issue then becomes, as guitarfool said, the record company.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2204 on: October 30, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »

If - IF - there's some kind of album/book/movie tie-in in place, and if the info that the movie won't be released until next summer is credible, well...

Don't hold your breath, that's all. Looks like the Lana Del Ray single announcement was a tad previous (unless it hits the 'net tomorrow, that is).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

A movie would provide much more of a boost for selling the new cd than a BW tour would.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: October 30, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »

If - IF - there's some kind of album/book/movie tie-in in place, and if the info that the movie won't be released until next summer is credible, well...

Don't hold your breath, that's all. Looks like the Lana Del Ray single announcement was a tad previous (unless it hits the 'net tomorrow, that is).

That announcement wasn't from an official Lana Del Rey account anyway.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: October 30, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »

Where did the movie released next summer come from?  I thought it was going to be released early next year.  Are the international dates for December & January accurate that are on imdb?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: October 30, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »

At this point it's looking likely it's delayed until the movie, which is a shame for us who are counting the days  Undecided

I still hope it might be released in December  Smiley

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2209 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »

At this point it's looking likely it's delayed until the movie, which is a shame for us who are counting the days  Undecided

I still hope it might be released in December  Smiley

Just did my Nostradamus routine*. Nope.  Grin

[* - Estant assis de nuict secret estude,
Seul reposé fus la selle d'airain;
Flambe exigue sortant de solitude
Feit proferer qui n'est à croire en vain.

La verge en main mise au milieu des branches,
De l'onde il moulle le limbe & le pied,
Vn peur & voix fremissent par les manches,
Splendeur diuine, le diuin pres s'assied.]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:26:22 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: October 31, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »

Did you use that when that annoying kid was in your candy shop?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: November 03, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

I haven't seen this posted here, but another addition to conflicting release dates. Walmart has it for 3/10/2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: November 03, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »

I saw another website with that date, best bet at this point.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: November 03, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »

that's funny

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:20 AM »

Just got my notification this morning from Amazon that my Pre-Order scheduled to be available on Dec 2 no longer has an availability date.  I kept the order open anyway.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 04, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »

Why are there no young musicians who just are really good and really love what they do and put out album after album like Brian did. Sure, the music companies would be against it but someone wishing to grow musically and is changing and improving with each album is a uniquely Brian Wilson story.

I've never heard of a musical endeavour and odyssey quite as unique and inspiring as his.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 04, 2014, 07:34:10 AM »

Where did that come from? Kind of tangential.

Anyway is say plenty of young or youngish artists put out a lot of work. They're not on major labels, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 04, 2014, 08:00:47 AM »

Why are there no young musicians who just are really good and really love what they do and put out album after album like Brian did. Sure, the music companies would be against it but someone wishing to grow musically and is changing and improving with each album is a uniquely Brian Wilson story.

I've never heard of a musical endeavour and odyssey quite as unique and inspiring as his.
Try looking up Ty Segall. He releases multiple albums a year and gets a pretty good response from the critics.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »

Why are there no young musicians who just are really good and really love what they do and put out album after album like Brian did.

http://www.datpiff.com/

A lot of good people do a lot of music yearly, often for free or in the hopes of getting a record contract so they can make some sort of a living. A lot of good people do mixtapes or use Soundcloud on top of albums with record companies to get new material out without having to put out an album and the hassle that comes with that.

Sure, the music companies would be against it but someone wishing to grow musically and is changing and improving with each album is a uniquely Brian Wilson story.

A strange thing to think. BW is not the one musical island in a sea of shite yo. He is just the tip of a musical continent where they eat melodies for breakfast and rhythm tracks for dessert. LAND ANALOGY GO!  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:20:59 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 06, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »

Just pre-ordered NPP at amazon UK. This is the first time it's been available for pre-order on he UK site so maybe things are moving along again?

£16.16 is a very odd price though!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: November 06, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »

Just pre-ordered NPP at amazon UK. This is the first time it's been available for pre-order on he UK site so maybe things are moving along again?

£16.16 is a very odd price though!

It's also been re-listed on the Amazon US site, but no release date.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: November 06, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »

Nice, feels good to get my pre order in.

Hopefully that price will drop  Grin

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: November 06, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »

From FB

"I wanted to share some very exciting news with you – my new album ‘No Pier Pressure’ is finally finished and will be out in Spring of 2015! Full details will be announced after the first of the year. Check out the album art designed by Daria Wilson. Love and Mercy - Brian"

Ugh.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: November 06, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »

I LOVE THE COVERT ART!!!

Try looking up Ty Segall. He releases multiple albums a year and gets a pretty good response from the critics.
I agree. Some folks here might like him..!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:37:54 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »

Here it is. Smiley

I think it's rather lovely for an album called No Pier PressureGrin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:43:16 PM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx