gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564800 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: October 16, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »

... Brian is currently under embargo ...

"Under embargo" -- meaning that Brian is currently unavailable for interviews?
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: October 16, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »

... Brian is currently under embargo ...

"Under embargo" -- meaning that Brian is currently unavailable for interviews?

It means you can't reveal Brian Wilson until a set date and time so the marketing people can finalize his details.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:19:50 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 16, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »

Peter Hollens Goes From DIY To A Major Label Release And A Duet With Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson has a new album in progress called "No Pier Pressure." Apparently he was initially going to work with Frank Ocean but that collaboration will "be excluded, replaced by a remake of the Beach Boys' 1965 instrumental 'Summer Means New Love.'"

Hollens said that they started with the instrumental and that there are now over 200 vocal tracks that include not only Hollens and Wilson but also other members of the Beach Boys. Plus he's going to shoot a music video, Peter Hollens-style, with Wilson at the LA YouTube Creator's Studio.

The track appears on Hollens' album as "Our Special Love."

Beyond that Hollens is extremely excited to be working with one of the artists who he considers a true inspiration. It's not just that it's Brian Wilson but when you take into account Hollens' background with a capella singing groups and his focus on the voice, it's easy to see the connection to those beautiful Beach Boy harmonies.

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2014/10/peter-hollens-goes-from-diy-to-a-major-label-release-and-a-duet-with-brian-wilson.html
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 16, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »

So "special love" is now minus frank ocean and its set to appear on another guys album??

Weird. I gotta feeling this album gong to be delayed for a while

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »

I read that as saying that the remake of "Summer Means New Love" is called "Our Special Love" on Hollens's album. If you click on the iTunes link to Hollens's album, it has that song as a Hollens/Wilson collaboration, without mention of Ocean, which I think lends credence to my reading. Also, the reference that they started "with the instrumental" (before adding the bazillion vocals and whatnot) seems to be referring to "Summer Means New Love."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »

The Peter hollens album is out in a week

Somethimg to look forward to

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 16, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »

I read that as saying that the remake of "Summer Means New Love" is called "Our Special Love" on Hollens's album. If you click on the iTunes link to Hollens's album, it has that song as a Hollens/Wilson collaboration, without mention of Ocean, which I think lends credence to my reading. Also, the reference that they started "with the instrumental" (before adding the bazillion vocals and whatnot) seems to be referring to "Summer Means New Love."

I tried the above link and it came back "link not found", so I went to www.hypebot.com and read the below attached link.

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2014/10/peter-hollens-goes-from-diy-to-a-major-label-release.html#more

In this article , there is no mention of Brian, No Pier Pressure, Special Love , at all; looks like somebody made them take the original article down.

My thought process remains the same; unless I see it on BW.com , Brian's Facebook page, or something from Capitol, then its not factual.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 16, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »

I tried the above link and it came back "link not found", so I went to www.hypebot.com and read the below attached link.

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2014/10/peter-hollens-goes-from-diy-to-a-major-label-release.html#more

In this article , there is no mention of Brian, No Pier Pressure, Special Love , at all; looks like somebody made them take the original article down.

My thought process remains the same; unless I see it on BW.com , Brian's Facebook page, or something from Capitol, then its not factual.

Seems reasonable. For what it's worth, though, the Hollens iTunes link is still functional and lists "Our Special Love" with Brian Wilson on it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/peter-hollens/id920175204

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »

It is gone now, but I saved it. Here is the full article:

Peter Hollens Goes From DIY To A Major Label Release And A Duet With Brian Wilson

Peter Hollens, an a acapella YouTube star whose music videos often seem much grander than their budgets, is hard at work in preparation for the upcoming release of "Peter Hollens," his first traditional album release on Sony Masterworks. It's an interesting time for Hollens because working with a major label is a new process and one that's he still evaluating. But he has little evaluation of the fact that he's doing a duet with Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys including a Peter Hollens-style music video shot at YouTube's LA Creator Studios. He's just really excited about that!

As with most of my favorite interviewees, talking with Peter Hollens is an intense experience. He can cover a lot of ground in a short time and it's all meaningful in one way or another.

I previously spoke with Peter Hollens about a year ago for a piece on Loudr's cover song platform. We spoke again yesterday because he recently signed to Sony Masterworks and is about to release "Peter Hollens."

From DIY To Major Label Artist

Hollens told me one thing in particular that surprised me to the point that I expected him to say that it should really be off the record.

He did not pick the name of his album and he doesn't recall it ever being a discussion.

That revelation set the tone for the part of our wide-ranging discussion that focused on his transition from being a DIY music and video artist to having his first major label release. He also was very clear that he saw it as an experiment that might or might not work out.

And if it doesn't, Hollens says he'll then have more information to share with his peers about how to make their careers work.

Hollens didn't sound mad, It was almost like he was still processing the album title issue and withholding judgement. I think we'll hear more about that at a future date.

But Hollens also felt the move was the right one to make. He described Sony Masterworks as more of a "boutique" imprint, possibly Sony's smallest, that is expanding what they do to include artists like Hollens and whose overall approach felt like a good fit.

And he felt the process of stepping out of his typical create and release mode to put together a solid body of work is an important part of the label experience that he was unlikely to pursue on his own.

He also went in with a lot of information from The Piano Guys who signed to Sony Masterworks some time ago and whose music appears on "Peter Hollens."

Along with the theme of transitioning from one phase of his career to another, Hollens repeatedly touched on topics of community and education. In discussing his own career and what's he learning he always brings it back to the theme of consciously gathering and sharing information with a community of peers

And when he talks about such things it's always in the context of building a better world which, for the purposes of our talk, seemed to come down to empowering people to take charge of their own music careers, to spread the word about how important it is that everybody should have the opportunity to learn to make music and to share the values of the artist community with which he's been working on YouTube.

It was quite a chat!

On Working With Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson has a new album in progress called "No Pier Pressure." Apparently he was initially going to work with Frank Ocean but that collaboration will "be excluded, replaced by a remake of the Beach Boys' 1965 instrumental 'Summer Means New Love.'"

Hollens said that they started with the instrumental and that there are now over 200 vocal tracks that include not only Hollens and Wilson but also other members of the Beach Boys. Plus he's going to shoot a music video, Peter Hollens-style, with Wilson at the LA YouTube Creator's Studio.

Beyond that Hollens is extremely excited to be working with one of the artists who he considers a true inspiration. It's not just that it's Brian Wilson but when you take into account Hollens' background with a capella singing groups and his focus on the voice, it's easy to see the connection to those beautiful Beach Boy harmonies.

Working With New Music Tech Tools & Platforms

Peter Hollens is a big advocate for the platforms he uses. I actually first found out about him while writing about Loudr (/Peter Hollens), which is not only a cover song platform but comes out of the same a capella subculture with which Hollens and his wife have long been involved.

He's also really positive about Patreon (/Peter Hollens) where he has many supporters. He says he likes this way of seeking fan support much more than a Kickstarter-style crowdfunding campaign. It both better fits his workflow and ongoing needs but also is based on the idea that, rather than seeking funding for future work, he's going to keep doing this work and he'd love for people to join him and help make it happen.

While "Peter Hollens" will be available from the expected digital and retail platforms, it's also available for pre-order at PledgeMusic.

Hollens wanted to give his superfans more and PledgeMusic facilitates fan-focused campaigns even if you work with them only on a pre-sale. Hollens' page is an excellent example of not only PledgeMusic's lovely redesign but of extra goodies to feed superfans.

Hollens expressed serious concern about the future digital landscape for musicians if all music goes to streaming. But what he's doing is not about grabbing the last stack of bills going to physical merch. He's focusing on strong connections with fans, giving them what they want and using tech to further that relationship.

And I believe that he, along with all musicians, will be able to sell tangible goods long after streaming takes over. We're already seeing the resurgence of what is sometimes called "high touch" merchandise such as vinyl.

Humans need direct physical contact not just with other humans but with their physical environment. This will matter in the future especially for artists that don't lose the direct connection with their fans.

Building A Better World

I'll be honest. I originally planned a post about how marketing this album with a major label was different from his previous marketing efforts with some practical examples. But I never took the opportunity to ask those questions because they didn't seem to matter quite as much as where Hollens was headed.

At the end of the conversation Hollens took a moment to make it clear that what he's trying to do isn't just about his own career. It's truly about building a better world.

And he has a very practical vision of realizing that world, at least for those who are willing to take charge of their own lives. For example, his commitment to sharing information with his peers and, in interviews, with whoever's interested has given him the opportunity to help creative people make that move from part-time to full-time using platforms like Patreon.

That might not strike some people as a big deal but that's been one of the driving forces behind what I've tried to do at Hypebot. I want people to take charge of their own lives and stop waiting for some father figure to tell them it's ok to pursue their dreams. And I try to point them to tools and services that might help them achieve those dreams.

Hollens emphasizes the need for artists to connect directly with fans and give them what they want. That's one of the reasons he has folk songs on this album, for example.

But it's not just about the artist and his or her fans. It's also about building community with fellow artists and helping each other out.

Hollens has experienced that on YouTube with artists like Lindsey Stirling who are building with related goals and values. Collaborations are a big part of that scene which is also about sharing one's fanbase.

He doesn't see that happening in the mainstream music industry and he wants to start bringing what he sees as a collaborative YouTube ethos to the mainstream world. He believes music is made to be shared and to be expanded in collaborations and feels that's where musicians should be focused moving forward.

Peter Hollens faces a lot of challenges but he's also achieved quite a bit already. I, for one, am looking forward to following his story.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:26:43 PM by Tord » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2184 on: October 16, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »

Same here...reminds me of attending wrestling house shows back in the 80s and 90s and seeing 'Card Subject to Change' in big bold letters on the programs, and thus not being surprised when all of the good workers or most over stars were inevitably not on the card.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 16, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »

It is gone now, but I saved it. Here is the full article:

Peter Hollens, an a acapella YouTube star whose music videos often seem much grander than their budgets, is hard at work in preparation for the upcoming release of "Peter Hollens," his first traditional album release on Sony Masterworks. It's an interesting time for Hollens because working with a major label is a new process and one that's he still evaluating. But he has little evaluation of the fact that he's doing a duet with Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys including a Peter Hollens-style music video shot at YouTube's LA Creator Studios. He's just really excited about that!

As with most of my favorite interviewees, talking with Peter Hollens is an intense experience. He can cover a lot of ground in a short time and it's all meaningful in one way or another.

I previously spoke with Peter Hollens about a year ago for a piece on Loudr's cover song platform. We spoke again yesterday because he recently signed to Sony Masterworks and is about to release "Peter Hollens."

From DIY To Major Label Artist

Hollens told me one thing in particular that surprised me to the point that I expected him to say that it should really be off the record.

He did not pick the name of his album and he doesn't recall it ever being a discussion.

That revelation set the tone for the part of our wide-ranging discussion that focused on his transition from being a DIY music and video artist to having his first major label release. He also was very clear that he saw it as an experiment that might or might not work out.

And if it doesn't, Hollens says he'll then have more information to share with his peers about how to make their careers work.

Hollens didn't sound mad, It was almost like he was still processing the album title issue and withholding judgement. I think we'll hear more about that at a future date.

But Hollens also felt the move was the right one to make. He described Sony Masterworks as more of a "boutique" imprint, possibly Sony's smallest, that is expanding what they do to include artists like Hollens and whose overall approach felt like a good fit.

And he felt the process of stepping out of his typical create and release mode to put together a solid body of work is an important part of the label experience that he was unlikely to pursue on his own.

He also went in with a lot of information from The Piano Guys who signed to Sony Masterworks some time ago and whose music appears on "Peter Hollens."

Along with the theme of transitioning from one phase of his career to another, Hollens repeatedly touched on topics of community and education. In discussing his own career and what's he learning he always brings it back to the theme of consciously gathering and sharing information with a community of peers

And when he talks about such things it's always in the context of building a better world which, for the purposes of our talk, seemed to come down to empowering people to take charge of their own music careers, to spread the word about how important it is that everybody should have the opportunity to learn to make music and to share the values of the artist community with which he's been working on YouTube.

It was quite a chat!

On Working With Brian Wilson

Working With New Music Tech Tools & Platforms

Peter Hollens is a big advocate for the platforms he uses. I actually first found out about him while writing about Loudr (/Peter Hollens), which is not only a cover song platform but comes out of the same a capella subculture with which Hollens and his wife have long been involved.

He's also really positive about Patreon (/Peter Hollens) where he has many supporters. He says he likes this way of seeking fan support much more than a Kickstarter-style crowdfunding campaign. It both better fits his workflow and ongoing needs but also is based on the idea that, rather than seeking funding for future work, he's going to keep doing this work and he'd love for people to join him and help make it happen.

While "Peter Hollens" will be available from the expected digital and retail platforms, it's also available for pre-order at PledgeMusic.

Hollens wanted to give his superfans more and PledgeMusic facilitates fan-focused campaigns even if you work with them only on a pre-sale. Hollens' page is an excellent example of not only PledgeMusic's lovely redesign but of extra goodies to feed superfans.

Hollens expressed serious concern about the future digital landscape for musicians if all music goes to streaming. But what he's doing is not about grabbing the last stack of bills going to physical merch. He's focusing on strong connections with fans, giving them what they want and using tech to further that relationship.

And I believe that he, along with all musicians, will be able to sell tangible goods long after streaming takes over. We're already seeing the resurgence of what is sometimes called "high touch" merchandise such as vinyl.

Humans need direct physical contact not just with other humans but with their physical environment. This will matter in the future especially for artists that don't lose the direct connection with their fans.

Building A Better World

I'll be honest. I originally planned a post about how marketing this album with a major label was different from his previous marketing efforts with some practical examples. But I never took the opportunity to ask those questions because they didn't seem to matter quite as much as where Hollens was headed.

At the end of the conversation Hollens took a moment to make it clear that what he's trying to do isn't just about his own career. It's truly about building a better world.

And he has a very practical vision of realizing that world, at least for those who are willing to take charge of their own lives. For example, his commitment to sharing information with his peers and, in interviews, with whoever's interested has given him the opportunity to help creative people make that move from part-time to full-time using platforms like Patreon.

That might not strike some people as a big deal but that's been one of the driving forces behind what I've tried to do at Hypebot. I want people to take charge of their own lives and stop waiting for some father figure to tell them it's ok to pursue their dreams. And I try to point them to tools and services that might help them achieve those dreams.

Hollens emphasizes the need for artists to connect directly with fans and give them what they want. That's one of the reasons he has folk songs on this album, for example.

But it's not just about the artist and his or her fans. It's also about building community with fellow artists and helping each other out.

Hollens has experienced that on YouTube with artists like Lindsey Stirling who are building with related goals and values. Collaborations are a big part of that scene which is also about sharing one's fanbase.

He doesn't see that happening in the mainstream music industry and he wants to start bringing what he sees as a collaborative YouTube ethos to the mainstream world. He believes music is made to be shared and to be expanded in collaborations and feels that's where musicians should be focused moving forward.

Peter Hollens faces a lot of challenges but he's also achieved quite a bit already. I, for one, am looking forward to following his story.

Thank you !!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 24, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »

This is not directly related to the upcoming Brian Wilson album. Rather, it's a link to some info about the upcoming She & Him album, which is of course a band comprising apparent new-BW album collaborators Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. Their upcoming album, due Dec. 2, is reportedly a covers album of classics recorded live. Two trailers are embedded in the below link.

Personally, I recommend working hard to twist this information to the evils of autotune, modern music in general, or how Mike Love f***ed up the reunion. But that's just my record-breaking twaddle. Presumably talk of the She & Him album itself will find its way to the general music forum. Hopefully there will be bickering about the motives of those posting. I love that sh*t.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56240-she-him-announce-covers-album-classics-share-dusty-springfield-cover-stay-awhile/

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 24, 2014, 03:52:11 PM »

People who really want to disguise that they can't sing get a talk box. Everyone knows that.

P.S. I am fond of She & Him and Zooey Deschanel.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »

That title is so BW. I love it. Almost as good as Pet Sounds (as a title... get off my back! Tongue)

Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 28, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »

Wasn't Last Song supposed to come out before the end of this month according to Lana's twitter page? Has there been any news of that since?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: October 28, 2014, 09:01:17 PM »

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if the album gets released in 2014

Nobody from Brian's camp has said the album has even been finished, it's all been hear say so far.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 28, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »

The most amazing thing to me is that back when everything was all analog n stuff, BW was producing 170 albums a year for The Boys. Now in 2014 where it's all digital and you can fart into the microphone and have it sound like music, this No Pier Pressure album, which could have been released 2 dozen times over by now, has no release date in sight.

Ain't that something? Don't you think that's weird? It should have taken a lot friggin' longer to release an album back in 1962 than it does here in the second decade of the 21st century.

And it's not just Brian. Other artists who used to brag about the 2 weeks it took them to record an album back in the day now take months or years to come out with a new album full of groovy tunes.

Can I get a comment on this paradox from one of Brian's people?

No mas, por favor.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2192 on: October 29, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »

Yeah. It's called aging. Apparently, you don't have as much energy in your 70s as you do in your early 20s. Kind of annoying, isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:04:13 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 29, 2014, 12:15:09 AM »

Yeah. It's called aging. Apparently, you don't have as much energy in your 70s as you do in your early 20s. Kind of annoying, isn't it?

Don't think ageing comes into it here.

Reportedly enough tracks for three albums, multiple guest appearances on other artists' tracks left right and centre, Macca tribute about to fly, random gigs all over the place, BBC GOK single…

Brian seems to have more energy than he oughta… at his age!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2194 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »

It's because with all the digital trickery, you can spend ages tweaking a certain song indefinitely without worrying about tape degradation. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2195 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:32 AM »

Very good point there. You do get tangled in an endless web of possibilities and tweak things until they turn into mush then start all over again.

Also, record labels don't tend to want to pump out 3 albums by one artist in a single year these days. For the artist, there's not as much money in it either so they have to tour tour tour tour.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:40:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 29, 2014, 01:40:13 AM »

It's because with all the digital trickery, you can spend ages tweaking a certain song indefinitely without worrying about tape degradation. 

That makes sense. But when you hear how perfect something like "Don't Worry Baby" or "I Get Around" sounds, how the hell heck didn't they spend eternity getting those songs sounding perfect? Because so much of BW/BB stuff sounds perfect without the luxury of digital audio files/effects....

It's a strange world....

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 29, 2014, 01:49:50 AM »

I said on one of the threads about a probable campaign for next year  for the album, movie-bio, tour and book. The exec's will want to maximize exposure and their return so are probably working together.

We may not like it but its the business today.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:19 AM »

I said on one of the threads about a probable campaign for next year  for the album, movie-bio, tour and book. The exec's will want to maximize exposure and their return so are probably working together.

We may not like it but its the business today.

Don't forget it's also 50 years of Don't Hurt My Little Sister!!!!

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2199 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:44 AM »

Ugh. ..my least favorite song next to Cuckoo Clock.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx