gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:00:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564774 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 28, 2014, 06:34:52 PM »

Right Time - AJ Lead Vocals
Run James Run - AJ Lead Vocals
Last Song - LDR
On the Island - Zooey
Sharing a New Day - Kacey
Guess You Had to Be There - Kacey
Special Love - Frank Ocean
Sail Away - ??

Hopefully Brian will have more than 8 songs.  I didn't realize how much of a collaboration album it was until I made this list...

Add:
Sail Away - that would be AJ & Blondie Chaplin vocals.
Summer Means New Love [1965 track with lyrics]
Danny Boy - ? has this been nixed?
Saturday Night on Hollywood Boulevard - ?

here's hoping for - Last Song w BW lead as the japanese bonus track!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:36:18 PM by thetojo » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: September 28, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »

Last Song - LDR
On the Island - Zooey
Sail Away - ??

Hopefully Brian will have more than 8 songs.  I didn't realize how much of a collaboration album it was until I made this list...

Add:
Sail Away - that would be AJ & Blondie Chaplin vocals.
Summer Means New Love [1965 track with lyrics]
Danny Boy - ? has this been nixed?
Saturday Night on Hollywood Boulevard - ?

here's hoping for - Last Song w BW lead as the japanese bonus track!!

Didn't "Summer Means New Love" have guest vocals?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 28, 2014, 07:13:56 PM »

Didn't "Summer Means New Love" have guest vocals?

Possibly so, but I haven't seen any detail yet.
Gohi
« Reply #2053 on: September 29, 2014, 06:50:24 AM »

I wonder if they'll go another week without announcing this... getting impatient... Sad
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 29, 2014, 07:52:01 AM »

Ah, it'll come when it comes! Patience, Grasshopper. Put something else on (I'm currently mainlining everything Rufus Wainwright has ever done via his absurdly over-the-top House Of Rufus red velvet boxed set, which is keeping my ears and brain busy while I wait)... go for a walk in the Autumn mists, plan a nice surprise or trip for your significant other or for yourself. And it doesn't need to be a grandiose flight on the Orient Express, Calais to Dover, or even the Atchison Topeka. Even a spontaneous walk to the corner shop on your own can contain a moment of beauty which makes the whole day worthwhile. Especially if a Walls Magnum is involved. Total expenditure: some oxygen and 80 UK New Pence (they're on special at my corner shop right now, as according to the manager, they're trying to clear all the ice cream out to make way for - get this - tinsel and Christmas decorations, Gawd help us).

It works for me...

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound so 'Zen'. But really, there is more to life than waiting for Brian's new album. Don't get me wrong - when it's out, there won't be anything else I want to do more than get it and listen to it ASAP... but until then, there's plenty of other stuff to keep us busy.

At the moment, the (at least moderately) pressing question for me is: does Brian consider this album to be that rock and roll record he's been promising for years? The spiritual successor, if you like, to the much-mentioned Pleasure Island? Can that title be considered, in its relationship to No Pier Pressure, to be the same as 'Dumb Angel' is to SMiLE? Or is 'Pleasure Island', or whatever he might now be calling 'the rock album', still lurking in his creative subconscious? Or... was the whole thing nothing more than a gigantic put-on? Or a passing crazy concept that never got anywhere?

I mean - we know nothing about what this new album sounds like. What if we put it on in a few weeks for the first time, and it sounds like an Elvis Presley record from 1959? With a splash of Jerry Lee Lewis, and a pinch of Buddy Holly? Like, I don't know... the soundtrack to Grease or something. Despite all the super-modern guest stars and all of that?

THAT... would be a surprise (although in a way it ought not to be, as that's what Brian has been intermittently claiming he wants to do next for well over a decade). But it might nonetheless turn out not to be an unwelcome surprise, depending of course on the execution. And I say that as someone who has no time for late 50s rock and roll at all, or rather perhaps, as someone for whom that music has never really clicked. Apart from some Buddy Holly stuff that I can't even remember the name of now.
Gohi
« Reply #2055 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »

I'm currently listening to 3 new albums and have lots of new music I listen to every year.
But this just seems so weird :O
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: September 29, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »

Well Frank has said that the Beach Boys were going to be an influence on the new album, though of course that could have changed by now. I reckon his fans would be pretty accepting of the idea of a Brian Wilson guest spot or collaboration.

It's funny because a couple of years ago the idea of Brian Wilson appearing on a Frank Ocean album would have been inconceivable. I love the guy but he's not exactly hip these days. Not many artists his age are, however great their past achievements might be.

However since Daft Punk had that Giorgio moroder monologue on Random Access Memories, I think old guy guest spots are now de rigueur. As evidence I present bryan ferry's shaky vocal on the recent Todd Terje album.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 29, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

Well Frank has said that the Beach Boys were going to be an influence on the new album, though of course that could have changed by now. I reckon his fans would be pretty accepting of the idea of a Brian Wilson guest spot or collaboration.

It's funny because a couple of years ago the idea of Brian Wilson appearing on a Frank Ocean album would have been inconceivable. I love the guy but he's not exactly hip these days. Not many artists his age are, however great their past achievements might be.

However since Daft Punk had that Giorgio moroder monologue on Random Access Memories, I think old guy guest spots are now de rigueur. As evidence I present bryan ferry's shaky vocal on the recent Todd Terje album.

I'm not sure it was so much a Daft Punk thing as it is an artist-specific thing. Some people always tip their hats publicly to their predecessors, and I think Ocean seems like that kind of artist. (Others act as if they have--and sometimes claim to have--invented every last chord, rhythm, and rhyme from thin air.) But you do see the phenomenon recently, such as Janelle Monae having Prince guest on a track on her 2013 album (as MugginsXO noted elsewhere).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 29, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »

I wish some newer acts would draft Al Jardine and make use of his remarkable voice on some great tracks.  He is underutilized.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: September 29, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »

I'm not sure it was so much a Daft Punk thing as it is an artist-specific thing. Some people always tip their hats publicly to their predecessors, and I think Ocean seems like that kind of artist. (Others act as if they have--and sometimes claim to have--invented every last chord, rhythm, and rhyme from thin air.) But you do see the phenomenon recently, such as Janelle Monae having Prince guest on a track on her 2013 album (as MugginsXO noted elsewhere).

Yeah, I think it greatly helps a lot when you are heavily influencing so many good new people. There is a defensive thing I think in a lot of Rap and R&B to a lesser extent about being seen as wholly original. The best people do tend to tip the hat I think and are open-hearted in their love of the music that got them there in the first place. There were very few musical people who would have turned down a Michael Jackson collaboration when he was alive, no matter how uncool it might have seemed. He had that huge an impact on so many people making music. The same can be said I think for Brian Wilson. When it comes down to it, he was the guy who did all that amazing music.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:35:40 PM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »

I think buddhahat's point is different than the MJ experience, though, in that he wasn't talking about younger people guesting on established legends' art, but the other way around. And that is really a rarity.

Though I guess thinking on that example now, Daft Punk is hardly a young act...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »

I think though it is a relevant example of how and when guest spots are more than a cash-grab and can give a project a unique, almost creative-dream team quality. I do agree though that there is perhaps a touch of the Tarantino, re-discovering forgotten talent thing going on and that's no bad thing I guess.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2062 on: September 29, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »

FWIW...Daft Punk are also fans of Brian...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »

When Brian Fans Get Together

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: September 29, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »

Who isn't? I'm listening to the latest Marc Maron WTF, which is with Rivers Cuomo, and within the first couple minutes, who gets mentioned? Good ol' Brian...

(Interestingly, Maron says he can't tolerate much Beach Boys because there is so much pathos and "I can't help you!")

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 29, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »

When news came that guests would be featured on this album I was willing to bet my car that Daft Punk would be a feature.

They could still be, going by the silence regarding this album I wouldn't be shocked to find out they added a few last minute guests.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2066 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

That'd rule

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2067 on: September 29, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »

It's not really forgotten talent though, because Brian hasn't left the scene and since about 1991 or so (that I can remember), his name has been continuously "checked" by any number of alternative, rock, and even rap/hip-hop musicians. I noticed it really take off around 91-92, when you'd read various interviews and 'zines and Brian would get a nod, from musicians listening to and being influenced by his songs *and* his productions/arrangements. Rock writers from local to national in the early 90's would often review an album where a song or songs had some vocal harmony, or some off-the-wall chord changes, and no matter what style those writers would name-check Brian Wilson.

Now that era and generation of musicians (of which I'm a part) is middle-aged, and the 18-30 year old musicians have picked up some of that influence from reading and listening when they were kids - now they're the one writing and releasing music.

So it's full circle. I'd wager through that kind of pipeline alone, word-of-mouth among musicians, there are enough younger musicians who had been influenced by Brian enough to even welcome the idea of watching him record, or anything of the sort. I know i would.

Tarantino's deal was in fact bringing various actors out of obscurity, proving those great actors like Robert Forster, Pam Grier, Laurence Tierney, etc. (I deliberately left out Travolta...Pulp Fiction aside, and all that...) could still deliver the goods on screen, and showing new, young audiences how good they really were from the original films up to the present.

But I don't see Brian, at least among musicians, as having ever left the scene, so to speak. It would be like saying George Martin left the scene and fell into obscurity - his body of work is too massively influential, like Brian's, to ever slip too far off the radar.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: September 29, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »

Last Song - LDR
On the Island - Zooey
Sail Away - ??

Hopefully Brian will have more than 8 songs.  I didn't realize how much of a collaboration album it was until I made this list...

:Are we just guessing what will be on the album now or what?

I dont have time to go back and read a bunch of posts somebody give me a holler when theres some (real) noos  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39801820#About+the+Album

Walmart says the release date is 01/03/15  Undecided
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »

Well there you go, that makes sense.

We got a long wait ahead  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 29, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »

This link is for the deluxe edition. These usually come out after the initial album release, yes?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 29, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »

This link is for the deluxe edition. These usually come out after the initial album release, yes?

No.

Here's some cheaper links for US folk
LP: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16966931/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure
CD: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16967557/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure
Dlx: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16967618/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

so this is it.  Amazon US has No Pier Pressure listed, same as bullmoose.com, 4 November, 2014.  Available for pre-order on CD and Vinyl.  None of these sites have the tracks mapped - the WallMart listing is likely wrong.  Wouldn't make any sense to put it up just for pre-orders through the Christmas season.  Amazon UK still has it flagged - sign up to be notified.  I'd have to look back through this thread to check the date, but that site (who listed it early) had the title correct.
Good times coming...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:00:45 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 29, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »

so this is it.  Amazon US has No Pier Pressure listed, same as bullmoose.com, 4 November, 2014.  Available for pre-order on CD and Vinyl.  None of these sites have the tracks mapped - the WallMart listing is likely wrong.  Wouldn't make any sense to put it up just for pre-orders through the Christmas season.  Amazon UK still has it flagged - sign up to be notified.  I'd have to look back through this thread to check the date, but that site (who listed it early) had the title correct.
Good times coming...

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/upcoming-releases/

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx