gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:45:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564848 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: September 23, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »

Excellent post.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:58 AM »

Can Anyone guess what the album cover will be like?

I get a very "surfs up"/blue album cover feel with the name, but the songs that look to be on the album seem very joyful.

A crappy/cheesy cover with a wooden pier and a yellow/orange sunset. Maybe a man/woman silhouette too.
I picture the cover to be Brian tied up to a chair on a pier somewhere, with Joe Thomas telling him "You are going to write and record songs with me or I'll throw you off"...lol...(just kidding, although that would be funny)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2002 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »

Zooey Deschanel talking about recording with Brian, last night on Conan O'Brien's show:

Skip ahead to 27:30

http://teamcoco.com/video/full-episode-mon-9-22-zooey-deschanel-breckin-meyer-and-musical-guest-beck

Off-topic:  Near the end of the episode, Beck and the core rhythm section of his "Sea Change" era band (Joey Waronker, Smokey Hormel, Justin Meldal-Johnsen) cover George Harrison's "Wah Wah" for those interested. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: September 23, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »

I get a very "surfs up"/blue album cover feel with the name, but the songs that look to be on the album seem very joyful.

A crappy/cheesy cover with a wooden pier and a yellow/orange sunset. Maybe a man/woman silhouette too.

That is exactly what I think the cover will look like.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

Wow! Al Jardine just uploaded this onto his facebook page!

The full post was this:

"This is the cover for the new CD Brian has been working on this past year! It has me, Dave, my son Matt, and our old pal Blondie on there, and I think it sounds really swell. I had planned to record a new version of "Waves of Love", which has Carl Wilson on one of his last vocals he recorded before he passed away, but when I suggested recording it, Brian had other plans and went hiding under a table.

Anyway, Mary Ann just wants to add that the kids (and dogs!) are all fine here as we're preparing for fall (and the Santa Anna Winds) here in Big Sur, and that Jaqueline Love is chickenshit to get onstage with her to fight her.

Don't Fight the Sea,

Al"

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2005 on: September 23, 2014, 11:01:12 AM »

This may be a few months late but I feel the need to address the possibility of Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey featuring on the next Brian Wilson album. Let me state that Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys are a long term love and I have the required experience and knowledge to understand the obsession and the occasionally troublesome insularity that can come from such a love. I also sympathise with people on here and elsewhere that have effectively given up caring about new artists and are locked into the idea that the only worthwhile music comes from a creative force that hit their creative peak five decades ago. This is common of course and for the most part a harmless, if slightly depressing, thing.

Let me address the particular suitability of Frank Ocean and LDR recording with Brian. First they both hold his music in high regard. Frank Ocean stated his appreciation for The Beach Boys last year when talking about what he felt would influence the sound on the follow up to Channel Orange.

What were you listening to when you were writing?

Lana Del Rey:  I love jazz. I love Chet Baker’s documentary Let’s Get Lost, which influenced my video for “West Coast,” which Bruce Weber shot. I love Nina Simone and Billie Holiday like everybody else. I have a ’70s playlist that I listen to daily. A lot of Bob Seger, who I love. He’s probably the main person I listen to, and also the Eagles and Chris Isaak, Dennis Wilson and Brian Wilson.

Both have recorded outright beautiful love songs – Thinkin’ Bout You, Brooklyn Baby – Both are not only current as in hit makers, but are current as in creatively vital. Frank Ocean is one of the reasons why R&B is not only resurgent but is just about the best and most exciting music being made today. He matters a great deal in how music will be shaped in the next decade. His tastes and influences are diverse. LDR, along with Ocean, The Weeknd, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, ASAP Rocky and the many other exciting new Rap/R&B/Pop folks share a tone and subject matter that is fresh and provocative; that can just as easily subvert an otherwise aggressive rap song with a beautiful melodic chorus as it can invert a Beach Boys vision of California into one of immense degradation while still wrapped in a gorgeous production.

While I doubt that Ocean and LDR will bring such a noir flavour to proceedings, I do think that both are immensely capable of delivering on that darker side of BW, of making real in 2014 a certain vision of place and time and feeling that has not been quite expressed by anyone related to the Beach Boys since some time in the 1970s. Working with two genuine creators, who have already done great work but who still have their best ahead of them, is as far away as possible from the Eric Clapton/Elton John/Paul McCartney show that was Gettin In Over My Head. That was I think an appeal to exactly the crowd that fear and misunderstand who these people are and what they represent. If this is simply an attempt to drive sales up and gain more relevance, it is one which might actually work. Not because it is cheap, but because it is utilizing musicians who produce works of substance, who are major contributors to an immensely satisfying style of music happening RIGHT NOW and who will,  given half a chance produce something quite unusual and brilliant for Brian Wilson. Possibly not the thing for people who think in 2014 that there is any legitimacy in saying “A bad Brian Wilson/Beach Boys album is still better than everything else!” But for people who have not given up on music it really is something to see.  

I will leave you with a song that shows the sad, beautiful, all too perfect for a BW song side of Lana Del Rey:

Old Money

Thank you for that well-written post....I tried to make the same point previously but you put it better than I did by far.

I dug the song...at the very beginning of this thread I wasn't too familiar with LDR's music as I could've been. My daughter's been trying to get me into her music (along with Ladytron and Camera Obscura), so I'd actually heard that song recently. Great pick.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »

I tweeted that actor who posted those pics from the filming of the music video with the couple in space age swimsuits on a beach, asking him if it was really for the new BW album. His response:

"@Schraderbrau88 haha, it is. He has a solo album coming out with a bunch of amazing guest musicians..."

Guess that confirms it. The first single will be "On the Island," the duet with Zooey Deschanel.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:08:44 PM by coco1997 » Logged

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2007 on: September 23, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »

Thank you for that well-written post....I tried to make the same point previously but you put it better than I did by far.

I dug the song...at the very beginning of this thread I wasn't too familiar with LDR's music as I could've been. My daughter's been trying to get me into her music (along with Ladytron and Camera Obscura), so I'd actually heard that song recently. Great pick.

You mentioned M Ward in an earlier post, you'll be interested to know that in Zooey's interview last night (I reposted the link here), she mentioned specifically that M Ward got "the call" as well, and along with the studio photos of them working with Brian, it sounds like it may be a "She & Him" song as much as a Zooey song on Brian's new album. Perhaps? Or maybe M Ward was just there for musical support? We shall see.  Smiley

Zooey Deschanel talking about recording with Brian, last night on Conan O'Brien's show:

http://teamcoco.com/video/full-episode-mon-9-22-zooey-deschanel-breckin-meyer-and-musical-guest-beck

Off-topic:  Near the end of the episode, Beck and the core rhythm section of his "Sea Change" era band (Joey Waronker, Smokey Hormel, Justin Meldal-Johnsen) cover George Harrison's "Wah Wah" for those interested. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »

I'd expect something similar. Except for BW88 none of his solo records ever had good cover art. Even BWPS looked like they couldn't care less.

um

Lucky Old Sun had great cover art but yes Key of Disney was ca-ca.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2009 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »

You mentioned M Ward in an earlier post, you'll be interested to know that in Zooey's interview last night (I reposted the link here), she mentioned specifically that M Ward got "the call" as well, and along with the studio photos of them working with Brian, it sounds like it may be a "She & Him" song as much as a Zooey song on Brian's new album. Perhaps? Or maybe M Ward was just there for musical support? We shall see.  Smiley

Man, I hope Matt is on this for real. He used to always go on about how cool it would be to work with Brian, so I imagine he'd be over the moon about this.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: September 24, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »

His instrumental cover of You Still Believe in Me is quite lovely.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 24, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »

I'd expect something similar. Except for BW88 none of his solo records ever had good cover art. Even BWPS looked like they couldn't care less.

um

Lucky Old Sun had awful cover art, absolutely awful
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:01:15 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2012 on: September 24, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »

So's his version of That's Not Me. Don't know if he ever released it or not, but what he let me hear some years ago sounded pretty damn sweet.

NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 24, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »

Reimagines Gershwin's cover art wasn't that bad either.

This photo posted on Brian's facebook page looks like it could be a photoshoot for the new album.  Looks good.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2014 on: September 24, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »

Good picture

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 24, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »

Very nice picture

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 25, 2014, 02:08:02 AM »

um

Lucky Old Sun had awful cover art, absolutely awful

TLOS is nearly as bad as GIOMH. BW solo artwork has got to be some of the worst amateurish photoshop fodaing shite i have ever seen outside of rap/hip-hop album covers (which at least have humour value).
p.s. BWPSmile and Gershwin aside, which were quite classy.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 25, 2014, 05:34:27 AM »

So's his version of That's Not Me. Don't know if he ever released it or not, but what he let me hear some years ago sounded pretty damn sweet.
Oh that's cool. I'll keep an eye out for it!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2018 on: September 25, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »

It's been almost eight years...i dont think he's going to release it, as it was more of a 'hey, guess what I'm fooling around on'. The site he uploaded it on is long dead, and i no longer have his contact info. Might not even remember me either, which is kind of my fault but everything got put on hold when my daughter was born.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:00:15 AM by ♩♬ Salmon Chanted Evening ♯♫♩ » Logged

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 25, 2014, 06:15:51 AM »

Ah that's a shame. I like his stuff quite a bit.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »

We should contact capitol and make them aware that this album is coming out in just over a month and they should probably start promoting it.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 25, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »

We should contact capitol and make them aware that this album is coming out in just over a month and they should probably start promoting it.

No! Don't do that. Capitol will cancel its release entirely if you phone up and ask them about it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2022 on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »

No! Don't do that. Capitol will cancel its release entirely if you phone up and ask them about it.

You should add a smiley, or someone will think you mean it. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: September 25, 2014, 09:14:04 AM »

Pretty funny, I caught it Smiley

That's a good picture of Brian.  Looks very hip-hopish.  Can't wait for that rap song!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 25, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »

Pre orders up on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/No-Pier-Pressure-Brian-Wilson/dp/B00NSOP9Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411687778&sr=8-1&keywords=brian+wilson+no+pier+pressure

And now Barnes and Noble, both showing the date as November 4th. So I guess there's no doubt now

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/no-pier-pressure/28101837

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx