gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:32:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 567321 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: September 20, 2014, 08:51:16 PM »

It is 😔

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gohi
« Reply #1976 on: September 21, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »

It sure looks like the title 'No Pier Pressure' could be the real deal.
It definitely is.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: September 21, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »

Another day..............

Nothing.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 21, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Well I wouldn't expect anything on a Sunday, but yes I wish they would release a single or at least some concrete info!
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:58 AM »

From an interview with Jim Peterik:

Now Brian's putting a solo album out on Capitol, it's coming out in January I believe, it's called No Pier Pressure and I wrote a song for it called "Sail Away." Again it was myself, Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas the producer and Larry Millas of the Ides. It's kind of like "Sloop John B" in the nautical field, so it's continuing. I still pinch myself with the Brian Wilson thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/shades-of-blue-tiger-eyes_b_5859226.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: September 22, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »

From an interview with Jim Peterik:

Now Brian's putting a solo album out on Capitol, it's coming out in January I believe, it's called No Pier Pressure and I wrote a song for it called "Sail Away." Again it was myself, Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas the producer and Larry Millas of the Ides. It's kind of like "Sloop John B" in the nautical field, so it's continuing. I still pinch myself with the Brian Wilson thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/shades-of-blue-tiger-eyes_b_5859226.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

This is an interesting bit of info. Thanks.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 22, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »

January release date?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

January release date?
Sure, they want to make sure they miss out on all those potential holiday gift buyers.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 22, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »

January release date?

Hopefully this guy is wrong and the 11/4 release date is still accurate.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 22, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »

Probably is January, IMO we would've heard something by now if it was November the 4th

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »

It definitely is.

Oh buoy!

"Jeff, you care." --BW
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 22, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »

Seen another release schedule today listing 4/11.

New issue of Uncut has 2-page article on L&M saying the film will be released in the UK "later this year".

So the two could still be heading for mutually supportive concurrent releases.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 22, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

Ahhh, The Beach Boys, love to let you know something is happening but love to keep you waiting and waiting...... and waiting

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 22, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »

Now we're talking…

NPP now listed on Amazon Uk in three formats, as imports. no date, no details, but first sniff of an authentic listing.

Pre-order at amazon.com: November 4 date seems set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NSOP9Y2/

Yes I know they've been wrong before…!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:21:26 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1989 on: September 22, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »

It definitely is.

Oh buoy!

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 22, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »

Now we're talking…

NPP now listed on Amazon Uk in three formats, as imports. no date, no details, but first sniff of an authentic listing.

Pre-order at amazon.com: November 4 date seems set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NSOP9Y2/

Yes I know they've been wrong before…!

Day made!!

Now I just have to wait for the UK Amazon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:01:47 PM by Shady » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1991 on: September 22, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

For those interested, Zooey Deschanel was a guest on the Conan O'Brien show tonight, and was asked about working with Brian Wilson on the new album. Conan posts videos of his shows right after they air, so anyone interested in Zooey's comments on getting the call and working with Brian in the studio will shortly be able to find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamcoco/videos

or here:

teamcoco.com

And another note, Conan is doing a tribute to George Harrison this week, having guest musicians play some of George's solo songs. Tonight it's Beck playing "Wah Wah", can be found at those same links above. Musicians playing George's tunes later this week are Paul Simon, Dhani Harrison, and Norah Jones.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:25:04 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

Sweet Lord, that is a horrible album title. Yuck.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1993 on: September 22, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »

Sweet Lord, that is a horrible album title. Yuck.

Coming from someone using the name Wah Wah Wah Ooooo?  LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: September 22, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

Can Anyone guess what the album cover will be like?

I get a very "surfs up"/blue album cover feel with the name, but the songs that look to be on the album seem very joyful.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »

"Pier Pressure" is the obvious better title, but I can easily see Joe Thomas or whoever coming up to Brian with that title, and Brian mulling it over before saying "I don't like Peer Pressure. Call it 'No Peer Pressure'."

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »

Brian is so hip he knew the title was taken! LOL

http://www.discogs.com/D-Block-Peer-Pressure/release/1717281
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: September 23, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »

I get a very "surfs up"/blue album cover feel with the name, but the songs that look to be on the album seem very joyful.

A crappy/cheesy cover with a wooden pier and a yellow/orange sunset. Maybe a man/woman silhouette too.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: September 23, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »

A crappy/cheesy cover with a wooden pier and a yellow/orange sunset. Maybe a man/woman silhouette too.

I'd expect something similar. Except for BW88 none of his solo records ever had good cover art. Even BWPS looked like they couldn't care less.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: September 23, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »

This may be a few months late but I feel the need to address the possibility of Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey featuring on the next Brian Wilson album. Let me state that Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys are a long term love and I have the required experience and knowledge to understand the obsession and the occasionally troublesome insularity that can come from such a love. I also sympathise with people on here and elsewhere that have effectively given up caring about new artists and are locked into the idea that the only worthwhile music comes from a creative force that hit their creative peak five decades ago. This is common of course and for the most part a harmless, if slightly depressing, thing.

Let me address the particular suitability of Frank Ocean and LDR recording with Brian. First they both hold his music in high regard. Frank Ocean stated his appreciation for The Beach Boys last year when talking about what he felt would influence the sound on the follow up to Channel Orange.

What were you listening to when you were writing?

Lana Del Rey:  I love jazz. I love Chet Baker’s documentary Let’s Get Lost, which influenced my video for “West Coast,” which Bruce Weber shot. I love Nina Simone and Billie Holiday like everybody else. I have a ’70s playlist that I listen to daily. A lot of Bob Seger, who I love. He’s probably the main person I listen to, and also the Eagles and Chris Isaak, Dennis Wilson and Brian Wilson.

Both have recorded outright beautiful love songs – Thinkin’ Bout You, Brooklyn Baby – Both are not only current as in hit makers, but are current as in creatively vital. Frank Ocean is one of the reasons why R&B is not only resurgent but is just about the best and most exciting music being made today. He matters a great deal in how music will be shaped in the next decade. His tastes and influences are diverse. LDR, along with Ocean, The Weeknd, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, ASAP Rocky and the many other exciting new Rap/R&B/Pop folks share a tone and subject matter that is fresh and provocative; that can just as easily subvert an otherwise aggressive rap song with a beautiful melodic chorus as it can invert a Beach Boys vision of California into one of immense degradation while still wrapped in a gorgeous production.

While I doubt that Ocean and LDR will bring such a noir flavour to proceedings, I do think that both are immensely capable of delivering on that darker side of BW, of making real in 2014 a certain vision of place and time and feeling that has not been quite expressed by anyone related to the Beach Boys since some time in the 1970s. Working with two genuine creators, who have already done great work but who still have their best ahead of them, is as far away as possible from the Eric Clapton/Elton John/Paul McCartney show that was Gettin In Over My Head. That was I think an appeal to exactly the crowd that fear and misunderstand who these people are and what they represent. If this is simply an attempt to drive sales up and gain more relevance, it is one which might actually work. Not because it is cheap, but because it is utilizing musicians who produce works of substance, who are major contributors to an immensely satisfying style of music happening RIGHT NOW and who will,  given half a chance produce something quite unusual and brilliant for Brian Wilson. Possibly not the thing for people who think in 2014 that there is any legitimacy in saying “A bad Brian Wilson/Beach Boys album is still better than everything else!” But for people who have not given up on music it really is something to see.  

I will leave you with a song that shows the sad, beautiful, all too perfect for a BW song side of Lana Del Rey:

Old Money

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx