gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:35:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 567218 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »

Woops, you accidentally compared Brian Wilson to credible mainstream artists again, as if anybody in this reality views him in the same light as Johnny Cash or Tom Petty. Let's keep in mind that we're discussing Daniel Johnston's placid father, could we?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1826 on: August 08, 2014, 09:25:05 AM »

I didn't accidentally do anything - Not knowing your age or your perspective, but Johnny Cash for decades was not known as the "cool" or "hip" Johnny Cash that people view him as today. He was stone-cold, 100% country music. Outside of the country music circuit, he was known as a country artist and had not really crossed over to the point where too many listeners of alternative or rock or punk or whatever were actively buying his music. And like Brian Wilson's appeal, a lot of those "in the know" who knew Johnny beyond him being a country artist were musicians. The Beastie Boys through the Dust Brothers sampled him on Paul's Boutique - how many listeners of that album at the time would have owned one of Johnny's albums?

Let me give some perspective: Until the "American Recordings" revival and other related revisits of him and his music, culminating in the movie bio, do you know what kind of venues Johnny Cash was playing?

I call it the "lawn chair circuit". Outdoor venues where there was a stage and a big field in front of it, and the concert goers would carry their own lawn chairs to the show to see their favorite country acts. And related venues often included a dinner-theater type of atmosphere where the ticket would include a chicken dinner and cold drink to go with the music.

It was "traditional" country music for several decades before Cash became cool, before Willie became cool, and before country became arena and stadium-filling music. Very Americana, very middle America, and a specific demographic.

Now tell me this: Was the same demographic who view Johnny Cash as the ultimate bad-ass, as the real country rebel and punk going to see Johnny perform in the kinds of venues that he'd most often play for the decades before he became cool in a public sense? Were they watching The Nashville Network (TNN) in the 80's and 90's when Johnny would appear and sing gospel and religious-themed music more often than he did "Cocaine Blues"? Were they buying Johnny's traditional country albums before Rubin and the bio pic?

Sometimes it takes a little convincing to get new and untapped audiences to realize how good or even great an artist is regardless of what style or what genre they're lumped into. If marketing Johnny Cash or Tony Bennett as "cool" or "hip" is what it takes, than so be it. Many, many, many folks who would never have considered having a Cash or Bennett record in their collection became fans..and how were they convinced? Think about it.

Consider that. And consider the reaction Tom Petty got before and after he did the Super Bowl.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 08, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »

I am very much looking forward to Brian's new album, and have no doubt it will be excellent.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »

D.    Will I be notified of the release in my monthly AARP magazine?

Hoping to get it with my Social Security direct deposit.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 08, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »

I'm not well versed on Cash or Petty's history, and I am pretty young, so I thought that they were considered "cool" musicians from the get-go. My first impression of BDW was in his brief appearance in that 1987 Sgt. Pepper documentary, and he seemed like a total cracked up square to me, so I didn't give much thought to him. Of course like so many others, I quickly discarded such notions once it became apparent that he was a former avant-pop songwriter.

In my head, I've always classified him as a Daniel Johnston type. Since 1966 anyway. There's no way I can see him occupy the same space as any of his contemporaries, let alone Bennett or Santana. He's just too esoteric and far out. I know @BrianWilsonLive would disagree with me based on how often it uses the hashtag #Rockstar. Square peg in a round role.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »

Much will depend on the material's quality and how the commentariat reacts. It's high-risk, but potentially high reward.

And here's a thought experiment: What if we haven't heard of all the guest artists yet?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 08, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »

Much will depend on the material's quality and how the commentariat reacts. It's high-risk, but potentially high reward.

And here's a thought experiment: What if we haven't heard of all the guest artists yet?

What if?     Its beginning to be a challenge to recall who has NOT played or guested on a BW/BB album, or appeared on one of their bio films.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »

Jardine says Brian’s new solo album — on which he appears — will be released in October.

http://kslx.com/new-movie/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1833 on: September 02, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »

Awesome!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »

Nice news but it's pretty ridiculous they haven't even released a single to promote it

They should get moving

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »

Jardine says Brian’s new solo album — on which he appears — will be released in October.

about time!!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: September 02, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

Did he also say "Waves of Love" would be on it?  Wink

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »

If Al says it, it must be true!

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: September 02, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »

Al Jardine doing what he does best, come release time of any BBs-related product.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:03:40 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: September 02, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

Given that it's September 2nd, I'd be very surprised (but very happy) if the album is really set to be released in October.  I guess if it was late October, that would be a solid month and a half of promotion, but it seems nowadays new albums are announced way in advance.  I guess stranger things have happened in BB land.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1840 on: September 02, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »

Didn't say which October though, did he ?  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »

I have to say I'm very excited for this album.

I think we're in for something special

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 02, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »

I have to say I'm very excited for this album.

I think we're in for something special

Sure!  We all hope for that, right? 
Maybe they'll include some of the "Proposed Brother Reissue tracks" as a bonus for purchase at Best Buy stores....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 02, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

I really hope it's released soon. I hope it's a great masterpiece. It's a big stretch to hope for something like that, but he has it in him. Smiley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »

I wouldn't be surpised if it gets delayed till the end of the year (a la Christmas gift) or Easter, f.ex. Been so many times (TSS, APFC, TWGMTR, whatnot).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: September 02, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »

I wouldn't be surpised if it gets delayed till the end of the year (a la Christmas gift) or Easter, f.ex. Been so many times (TSS, APFC, TWGMTR, whatnot).

Oh come on, TIA, don't be so negative

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: September 02, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »

Nope, I'm being realistic. Deal with it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: September 02, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »

Nope, I'm being realistic. Deal with it.

Yeah, bgas:

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: September 02, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »

YES!!  Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: September 02, 2014, 10:15:12 PM »

We'll see.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx