gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:54:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564871 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 30, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »

Not regular Bud Light, but the "Lime A Rita" and "Strawberry-Rita" or whatever they're called...the novelty of a premixed faux-tropical mixed drink as served in a can and labeled Bud Light! Sounds like a perfect specialty night drink for Club Kokomo. I won't detail the reasons why.  Wink

Grimbergen Dubbel was a favorite a few years ago. That and Duvel, Brooklyn IPA, Saranac Black Forest ale, and a few other pretty "heavy" brews when I was into them. I cut back on beer and got more into mixed drinks and white wine. Been into the microbrews recently, though, like Troegs, Stoudt, and whatever looks interesting at the store or whatever is in the growler at the party. For imports I go for Belgian white ales, like Hoegaarden...but I don't have that cool glass to really enjoy them at home. Still like Stella too.

Has anyone noticed how often these threads diverge into discussions of BEERLOL

Maybe I just don't have a sophisticated enough palate, but it seems like all beer just tastes like crap to me. I can't get past the bitterness.

Now you're sounding like AGD....   

Beer. [sigh]

For me, it's right up there with coffee - smells utterly amazing, tastes awful. Never, ever forget my first sip: I was expecting this lovely, yeasty, hoppy, rounded taste, just like it smelled and it was just... bitter water. One of the more major disappointments in my entire 58 and counting years. Whisky, ah... now you're talking, even if my considerable (past) affection for it has cost me a goodly slice of my recall. Same with cider and wine: tasted like it smelled, so I dove right in. Frequently.  Grin
Even before health reasons forced me to avoid alcohol pretty.much, never ever cared for beer.

Coffee? Love the hell out of it. Doctor said no caffeine,  but decaf tastes like liquid ass, and i happen to love the taste (and especially the smell) of a good pot of coffee.

Uh,   Liquid ass? A taste sensastion I've been lucky enough to mis out on so far.....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 31, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »

Andrew, you should try some American beer.  Of course British beer is bitter.  Don't they call it "bitters"? Wink
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »

Brian enjoying a Hamm's ?

I LOVE this picture. I wish those guys got in a room more often to make music. It was one of their peaks.

From the land of sky-blue waters, comes the beer that most refreshing.

Hamms the beer refreshing, Hamms the beer refreshing.

Pulled that  TV jingle rite out of the old memory cells, no google search needed. The vocals and music had a Native American flavor and beat and their mascot was a big furry animated bear.... amazing what useless info I can remember and all the important stuff I forget!  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

I had a very cool dream last night where I as listening to Brian's new album for the first time and he had an awesome cover of Cat steven's "wild world" on it

Unfortunately I woke up

Hey shady is there a thread here of Songs You'd like to hear Brian to Cover?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:25 PM »

I had a very cool dream last night where I as listening to Brian's new album for the first time and he had an awesome cover of Cat steven's "wild world" on it

Unfortunately I woke up

Hey shady is there a thread here of Songs You'd like to hear Brian to Cover?

Not to my knowledge, would be a cool one though

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1780 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »

Heard something on the radio yesterday that I thought related to some parts of this long thread.

The number one album on the charts this week is a new record from Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Also in the top albums this week is an Eric Clapton tribute to JJ Cale album. Last month, the big news was Weird Al scoring a number one album, news which surprised even Weird Al himself who got choked up and emotional talking about it on a talk show appearance.

I thought it related to this thread in a way because here are artists whose biggest commercial appeal in a mainstream sales sense was arguably 25 years ago and beyond. In the current musical climate, and what defines a successful mainstream artist in 2014, how possible would we have assumed it would be for Tom Petty to score a number one album? I'd say he's considered in the classic rock format, not exactly a format which sells number one albums in 2014, but look what happened...

His fans bought the record, he gets a news headline for scoring a number one album. With that in mind, how implausible is it then for Brian to potentially score at least a top-10 album if the fans show up that first week to buy it? That would be huge.

I'm seeing a grassroots thing starting here...let's make it happen.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1781 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »

Heard something on the radio yesterday that I thought related to some parts of this long thread.

The number one album on the charts this week is a new record from Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Also in the top albums this week is an Eric Clapton tribute to JJ Cale album. Last month, the big news was Weird Al scoring a number one album, news which surprised even Weird Al himself who got choked up and emotional talking about it on a talk show appearance.

I thought it related to this thread in a way because here are artists whose biggest commercial appeal in a mainstream sales sense was arguably 25 years ago and beyond. In the current musical climate, and what defines a successful mainstream artist in 2014, how possible would we have assumed it would be for Tom Petty to score a number one album? I'd say he's considered in the classic rock format, not exactly a format which sells number one albums in 2014, but look what happened...

His fans bought the record, he gets a news headline for scoring a number one album. With that in mind, how implausible is it then for Brian to potentially score at least a top-10 album if the fans show up that first week to buy it? That would be huge.

Either that or there just aren't any interesting new artists out right now.  I was stoked for Weird Al though.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 07, 2014, 07:30:07 AM »

I am sure BW's new album will be a top 15 hit at least.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1783 on: August 07, 2014, 07:32:45 AM »

Either that or there just aren't any interesting new artists out right now.  I was stoked for Weird Al though.

With Petty, do you think many people under 25 bought his album in enough numbers to hit #1? Or do you think people who bought "Damn The Torpedoes" on vinyl back in the 70's are going to be buying the new Nicki Minaj album? I remember a few years ago, Petty was the halftime show at the Super Bowl, and it almost created a backlash. There were all kinds of young, hip, and phony commentators and outlets snickering and saying he was "too old", and questioning why they didn't have someone more current and young doing the show...suggesting Petty was too old to appeal to the audiences, I guess. Not fashionable enough, not trendy enough, I guess that was the issue.

This #1 album in 2014 sort of proves those jokers wrong, doesn't it? People obviously bought it and I doubt it was the audience who either didn't know Petty or thought he was too old for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Beach Boys scored a #3 in 2012 too, remember...no reason to think if enough fans buy it that first week that Brian's upcoming album couldn't go top-10 as well, if not top-5 or beyond.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 07, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

Record sales are low enough now that whenever an established artist has a new release they'll get a respectable showing in the first week and generally fall off a cliff the week after.  That said, I think the last 10 years have given us a pretty good idea of what the ceiling for BW is.  This isn't going to do as well as the Beach Boys album.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 07, 2014, 07:52:38 AM »

Record sales are low enough now that whenever an established artist has a new release they'll get a respectable showing in the first week and generally fall off a cliff the week after.  That said, I think the last 10 years have given us a pretty good idea of what the ceiling for BW is.  This isn't going to do as well as the Beach Boys album.
There's the not-too-improbable chance that at least one of the tracks with Lana Del Rey or Zooey Deschanel becomes a hit with their respective audiences (despite most teenage Lana Del Rey fans probably never having heard of BW) and in the process help selling the album. It's not such a stretch. Lana Del Rey sells records like crazy. Acquiring her talent might have been an incredibly smart move by Brian('s people).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:57:06 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1786 on: August 07, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »

Record sales are low enough now that whenever an established artist has a new release they'll get a respectable showing in the first week and generally fall off a cliff the week after.  That said, I think the last 10 years have given us a pretty good idea of what the ceiling for BW is.  This isn't going to do as well as the Beach Boys album.

You know this for a fact?  Smiley

It doesn't matter whether Weird Al's album sinks like a stone and doesn't sell 750 a week after this, he got a number one album and it made headlines, and it seems to have warmed his heart just to reach that accomplishment.

Seriously, take a look at YouTube view counts for some of the guest artists on the album. Lana has a Youtube video for "Born To Die" with 160 million views. "Young And Beautiful" with over 93 million views. Have her singing on a song Brian wrote, release it...her fans will buy and access it, even if it's just to listen once or to support Lana as her fanbase. If even 25% of the people access the song that viewed either of those two previous releases, it's a big number. End of story.

Do not underestimate this.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »

This will chart in the top 40, yes.  Top 20...maybe.  No way this will be in the top 10.  You can write that down and call me out if it does.  I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

I'm predicting number 23.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1788 on: August 07, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »

This will chart in the top 40, yes.  Top 20...maybe.  No way this will be in the top 10.  You can write that down and call me out if it does.  I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

How do you think any possible singles would do, given the guest artists with their fanbases and whatever they decide to put out or promote as singles from the album featuring those artists?

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 07, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »

How do you think any possible singles would do, given the guest artists with their fanbases and whatever they decide to put out or promote as singles from the album featuring those artists?
Right. I still don't think they'll put out an actual single. Who knows. But if certain tracks get enough airplay or exposure otherwise, it will directly boost album sales. I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a TOP10 album.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 07, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »

Oh, I'm sure there will be more individual track purchases online than there would otherwise be from a new BW album.  Definitely.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »

Clapton and Petty are both mature (emotionally mature, not just in age) artists who appeal to a mature audience with a MOR kind of easy-on-the-ear melodicism.

The Beach Boys are a kind of gimmicky fun-in-the-sun act with hawaiian shirts, which is a popular angle to have but kind of limiting. The Brian Wilson brand seems somehow to be less than that. You take away the fun-in-the-sun angle, and what's left? Brian Wilson previously tried to take the Clapton/Petty mature route with Imagination (which i really like), but has since gone back to original material of cluttered plasticky pop songs. I think a core audience of Brian Wilson fans will buy the album and because record sales for the more superficial stars have fallen away, this will boost BW's chart placing.

It could do well. It could stall at #28.

Maybe i'm just in a bad mood.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1792 on: August 07, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »

That's the wild card - In a lot of ways, the music business in 2014 is a lot about singles, and buyers purchasing individual songs rather than full albums, then combine that with official videos on YouTube and whatever else gets calculated for the chart position. It's entirely possible that *if* a decision is made to release or promote a single from this album featuring one or more of the guest artists, and their fans buy it up, there could be a hit single out of the deal. It's not implausible.

What did seem implausible was if we were talking back in January about albums coming out, and someone mentioned a new Tom Petty album or a new Weird Al album and predicting that either one would hit #1 on the album charts in the summer of 2014. Yet it happened within the past few weeks in both cases.

Having said that, I do think the possibility of a single given the artists involved might have the better chance of hitting the higher end of the charts, depending on how they decide to promote it.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 07, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »

You'd think that BW would have accumulated sufficient following over the last 50+ years to score a decent hit album.

But I know it don't always work like that. Too many "fans" willing to illegally download rather than buy, maybe… just one factor…

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 07, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

That's the wild card - In a lot of ways, the music business in 2014 is a lot about singles, and buyers purchasing individual songs rather than full albums, then combine that with official videos on YouTube and whatever else gets calculated for the chart position. It's entirely possible that *if* a decision is made to release or promote a single from this album featuring one or more of the guest artists, and their fans buy it up, there could be a hit single out of the deal. It's not implausible.

What did seem implausible was if we were talking back in January about albums coming out, and someone mentioned a new Tom Petty album or a new Weird Al album and predicting that either one would hit #1 on the album charts in the summer of 2014. Yet it happened within the past few weeks in both cases.

Having said that, I do think the possibility of a single given the artists involved might have the better chance of hitting the higher end of the charts, depending on how they decide to promote it.

Interesting in that Weird Al, in the newest RS states this is his last Album, because he wants to be able to release his parodies while they're timely. .
Evidently he wanted to release "Word Crimes" while "Blurred Lines" was peaking, but the label refused...

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 07, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »

Brian IS cool, but except for the die-hards, people are interested in his work from 40-50 years ago. It's like with Ray Davies, loving the Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society and buying a new Ray Davies CD are two very different things.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 07, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »

What's the highest one of his albums charted?  21 with TLOS?  With social media being bigger than it was back then and there being guest artists on the album could propel it into the top 10.  Maybe top 5 if there is enough marketing done.  Sure Tom Petty's album hit number 1, but I don't think Paul McCartney's album even got into the top 15, so it's really a toss up.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 07, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »

Brian Wilson presents Smile charted at 13 in 2004, which would easily equate with a top 10 or top 5 album these days.

McCartney's latest, "New" hit No. 3. And that only sold 67,000 copies. "Weird Al" broke 100,000 his first week.

As for Brian's latest, I would say the Top 10 is possible, given the market today. A lot depends on the week it comes out.

Singles will absolutely be released, given the guest artists. My guess is more than one.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 07, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »

Brian Wilson presents Smile charted at 13 in 2004, which would easily equate with a top 10 or top 5 album these days.

McCartney's latest, "New" hit No. 3. And that only sold 67,000 copies. "Weird Al" broke 100,000 his first week.

As for Brian's latest, I would say the Top 10 is possible, given the market today. A lot depends on the week it comes out.

Singles will absolutely be released, given the guest artists. My guess is more than one.

For Weird Al, quoting RS: 

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »

I think the key post of all the ones above is the one mentioned Lana Del Rey's YouTube views. I wonder if someone at, oh, Capitol Records might keep track of these things. Let's look at some YouTube numbers. These are all for the official versions of videos posted by the artists / record label.

.fun (Nate Ruess's band): "We Are Young" -- 261 million views
Lana Del Rey: "Born to Die" -- 161 million views
Zooey Deschanel: "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" -- 14.7 million views
Kasey Musgraves: "Follow Your Arrow" -- 5.6 million views

And these are just the guest artists that have been mentioned in the press.

Now take a look at the numbers at Brian's official YouTube channel. Nothing over 100,000 views, and most well below 50,000.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brianwilsonlive/videos

The business has changed. Capitol knows that, and Brian and his people know it now too. If you're going to be on a major label, you have to adjust and market differently. The guests are absolutely key to this album's strategy. If it works (a big if, but still), it could be the biggest record Brian has released commercially since the '60s.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:13:06 AM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx