gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:48:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564757 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1675 on: July 26, 2014, 04:53:52 AM »

Ok, the booze talk is getting tired.  Can we please get back to bickering?

Can we bicker about beer for a compromise? Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 26, 2014, 05:35:19 AM »

I'm really looking forward to the album because
Ray has told us some really cool stuff that bodes well
It is going to have Al and Blondie on it
Brian has released some good stuff of late
The Life Suite

The last studio album he did with JT is outstanding at times, where as Imagination was 16 years ago? and a fair bit different in sound  (For the record I actually enjoyed the Disney album vocals a little more than those on Radio, as far as Bri is concerned).  Anyone who didn't enjoy at least some of TWGMTR will probably not like the new album, in which case I'm not really sure of what more these folk could have to say?

I can definitely appreciate that one would question talk of there being rap on the album given Brian's previous comments on this kind of music, but hey I won't lose sleep about it...and Frank Ocean is hardly Snoop Dog.

I have done a fair bit of work with autotune and melodyne etc in the past and don't hear it particularly on Zooey's voice (unlike something like "thinkin' bout when life was still in front of you" which is still a great Al moment despite the arguably excessive autotune or whatever).  I agree when Billy says he'd be surprised if it wasn't on her voice.

Billy - great to see you looking well.

Of course AGD has it right when he says no one knows till we hear the thing.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: July 26, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »

Is Don Was involved with the album in any other way other than playing bass?

That's a very interesting question, given that he's now a label president, isn't it?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »

Alright...this has gone on too far. Please take it to PMs...

I would try that, but apparently one of us doesn't see them as confidential.

For the record, I do not apologize for defending gay people, especially given that I'm very publicly one. Doing so has consequences, and I accepted that many years ago.

I'll vacate for a couple of weeks, whatever happens. Take care, ya'll.

For the record, here are a couple of the greatest hits of Mike's Beard:

On gay people:

What makes homosexuals so special and delicate that they need 'progressive' sections of society to leap to their defence at the smallest slight?  

Some people it seems can't get their head around the notion that you can be tolerant of gay people and not consider them abominations of god and still not wish to see or hear them act in an overtly homosexual manner, esp when it comes to their choice of entertainment.

On immigrants:

It would take more than a crappy van to send these freeloaders packing. Might I suggest a shotgun barrel pointed square in their face as an alternative?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:40:54 AM by Wirestone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1679 on: July 26, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »

Seems to me the vast majority of comments that I`ve read about the 10 second clip have been positive. The negative opinions are just as valid imo.

Criticism of melody, lyrics or arrangement is totally valid, albeit with limited source material available to judge from. Claiming that "Auto-Tune" has clearly been used when there's nothing to suggest it has been, and presenting this claim as a statement of truth (when it isn't), rather than a statement of opinion (when it would still be a stretch given the total lack of evidence), is not valid.

This post along with Ron's post are common sense, to me. I agree but can't sum up my thoughts enough to make such a clear and concise comment like those!

I'll offer this: I don't hear Autotune on that clip, I don't think given the nature of the clip you would be able to detect Autotune as obviously as some are claiming unless it was of the T-Pain variety, and if it comes out that there is Autotune on the clip, I still don't hear it there. Which to me would make sense because the effect on a song like this would be used transparently enough not to notice it and have it detract from the style of production that a song like this one would call for.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: July 26, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »

Autotune is today's farty synths. We will probably all look back at it fondly eventually.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: July 26, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »

GF.....I have found a place in Maryland that sells that Fordham Lager in bottles I had mentioned earlier.  This will be a nice crisp lager which goes well with a good bacon cheeseburger with jalapeno cheese, or a brick oven pepperoni pizza; or just by itself.  Its kind of a pilsner in a way , but the 5.0 alcohol content gives it a nice kick. I listened tonight to Steely Dan's Aja , over a few bottles of Dos Equiis , a nice Mexican lager .  Kind of got into the production ; a fine record; its great for an audiophile.  I first heard it on a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's without a sub woofer , so I had thought it lacked bass.  Then I heard it on Quad Electrostatics and that was that; it kicked ass .  Kind of how Beach Boys stuff changes textures over different speakers; Love You sounds so different over different sets of speakers , as does Sunflower; for example , the bass on Cool, Cool, Water literally shook my house on my JBL'S , but on the Dahlquist it's not even close to as overwhelming......or maybe its just the beer or whatever else I was drinking that was enhancing the listening experience !

Fantastic! Both the beer and the music!  Smiley

I'll definitely look out for that Fordham Lager, there are several stores somewhat close to me which carry a lot of specialty beers, and maybe if I ask them next time they'd even place a special order for a six, now that I know it's available in bottles.

Steely Dan's "Aja"...much like you described, that album is my "test CD" for any new listening equipment I come across, from speakers to headphones, to receivers/amps. It's been that go-to reference disc for me since the 90's, one of the best mixes ever.

The first track "Black Cow" is my #1, go-to song which I use to check how a set of speakers sound. It's totally personal opinion, but for my money that song and that mix are perfect, you can hear almost every major frequency range from bass to highs, all the standard "rock" instruments and vocals are there (except a low male bass voice), and it's just a perfect balance of everything. Absolutely brilliant mix. So much space, nothing seems forced together or crowded together like most modern mixes can be, especially anything rock.

What I love about "Black Cow" and "Home At Last" are the very first 10-20 seconds or so. I love to get those songs loud through a good set of speakers...well, a decent set at least...flat sounding as possible with a pretty flat amp/receiver as well with no bass boosting and the like, and you can hear so much of the reverb effect trailing off, and each instrument playing seems to cut off at exactly the right time where the echo just blends in perfectly. Those first piano chords of Home At Last are cool, but it's Black Cow that really nails it.

A masterpiece!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:00:57 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1682 on: July 26, 2014, 09:29:52 AM »

For the record, I do not apologize for defending gay people, especially given that I'm very publicly one. Doing so has consequences, and I accepted that many years ago.

On gay people:

What makes homosexuals so special and delicate that they need 'progressive' sections of society to leap to their defence at the smallest slight? 

Some people it seems can't get their head around the notion that you can be tolerant of gay people and not consider them abominations of god and still not wish to see or hear them act in an overtly homosexual manner, esp when it comes to their choice of entertainment.

On immigrants:

It would take more than a crappy van to send these freeloaders packing. Might I suggest a shotgun barrel pointed square in their face as an alternative?

Homophobia (along with racism) will not be tolerated on this b oard, and will result in severe consequences,  no matter who it is. I think i need to remind everyone of that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1683 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »

For imports I go for Belgian white ales, like Hoegaarden...but I don't have that cool glass to really enjoy them at home. Still like Stella too.

Hear me out for a minute...this was kind of bizarre but not unexpected.

So I posted that comment above sometime last week, about liking Hoegaarden but not having that unique glass they're known for.

Today I go on Facebook to check in, post some pics, comment, etc...and on the right-hand column I see a prominent ad to click on: "You can win a Hoegaarden glass!".

Think the internet marketers don't know what you're writing, discussing, and all of that? Tracking, perhaps?  Grin

So anyway, I figured what the hell, it was some contest where they're giving away 25,000 of the glasses online. I'm probably signed up to some mailing list worse than the old Columbia House record and tape club, but if I get that cool glass out of the deal, it was worth it.

But it is strange, isn't it? I had no dealings online whatsoever with Hoegaarden until writing that comment on this board, and within a week they're placing ads and offers on Facebook.

Like I said, I'll take the glass either way, I'll put it next to my Stella glass on the shelf and have it ready to freeze when called on.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »

I dropped $40 at the beer emporium in town after reading this thread -- mainly on odd imports. It's great! Tried some Gulden Draak, which is quite something.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »

Is it one of those big glasses Hoegaarden normally comes in? They always look like way more than a pint.
For bottled beer I'll take a pale ale, Corona or a Hoegarden. With draught beer, anything works as long as it isn't dark or flat. I'm not picky  Smiley

I live in an area with tons of breweries so the local stores are full of just about every type and flavor of beer imaginable. It's kind of neat, and it doesn't cost extra like import beer does.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »

I live in an area with tons of breweries so the local stores are full of just about every type and flavor of beer imaginable. It's kind of neat, and it doesn't cost extra like import beer does.

Ditto. Minneapolis (and surrounding area) went from a beer desert to a real oasis in just the past decade. Every bar (not to mention brewpub and liquor store) stocks regional and local stuff. The "local specialty" is strong, hoppy IPAs here, which is kind of ironic considering the heritage is more typically German styles along the lines of what Schell's as been doing for ... well, forever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1687 on: July 26, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »

That's the glass, I hope this photo comes through:

I've bought a Belgian variety case in the past which has...if I remember...12 Stella, 6 Leffe, and 6 Hoegaarden. Or was it a half-case, 6, 3, and 3? Anyway. I only have the Stella glass, though, hopefully this online contest will get me the Hoegaarden one soon. I like Leffe as well, I'll drink that anytime.

There is a certain way to pour the Hoegaarden too, if you read the small print on the label it gives you the directions!  Cheesy

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: July 26, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »

Redd's Apple Ale is good! Tastes like apple juice, but with 5.0 alcohol in it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 26, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »

Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a Beer Message Board thread that has been derailed by talk of Brian's upcoming album...
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 26, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a Beer Message Board thread that has been derailed by talk of Brian's upcoming album...
This
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1691 on: July 26, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »

LOL

'Dammit, someone used autotune on my Heineken! '

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: July 26, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »

LOL

mtaber that made my day Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: July 26, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »

On gay people:

On immigrants:

Homophobia (along with racism) will not be tolerated on this b oard, and will result in severe consequences,  no matter who it is. I think i need to remind everyone of that.
Please check your PM.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: July 26, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

If it's beer or sniping, I'll take the beer. Actually I did. A Summit Pilsener. (That's how they spell it, so no corrections, please.  Grin ) Well, correction, another Summit Pilsener.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1695 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 26, 2014, 12:14:47 PM »

I tried this for the first time last night!

I highly recommend

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1697 on: July 26, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Classic!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1698 on: July 26, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »

Update on the Fordham Lager search: No luck at my first go-to store. They said at one time they stocked Fordham IPA, which was a good IPA but it didn't catch on around here. Still looking. Have two more places which would be most likely to have it. Got to try a new local IPA, though, 10%. If I were still into the IPA, I'd have bought some to go.

Browsing the shelves, it's overwhelming how many micros there are available now. I did see a 6 of Brooklyn "Pennant Ale", which when I lived in Boston used to be called "55 Pennant Ale"...I used to pay 5.99 per six, today the price was 10.49...inflation or overpricing?

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: July 26, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »

Update on the Fordham Lager search: No luck at my first go-to store. They said at one time they stocked Fordham IPA, which was a good IPA but it didn't catch on around here. Still looking. Have two more places which would be most likely to have it. Got to try a new local IPA, though, 10%. If I were still into the IPA, I'd have bought some to go.

Browsing the shelves, it's overwhelming how many micros there are available now. I did see a 6 of Brooklyn "Pennant Ale", which when I lived in Boston used to be called "55 Pennant Ale"...I used to pay 5.99 per six, today the price was 10.49...inflation or overpricing?

Too many IPA's though, if you ask me. I'm sorta hoping the craze ends.... I love a good IPA but the market seems a bit flooded and lopsided of late.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx