gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:08:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564855 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »

Theakstons Old Peculiar. Dark, strong and has a hint of dandilion and burdock to it. Next time you're in Yorkshire, Ray, allow me to introduce you to some of the world's greatest beers (they're not generally referred to as 'ales' in the country of their birth, outside of London).

I used to drink Old Peculiar at the Harbor Inn in The Flats, Cleveland.  Now THAT'S a taste you remember!

......um yeah, about Brian's new album........
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:40:39 AM by Heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 24, 2014, 10:08:02 AM »

Ray, I still have one pair of JBL L-100 studio monitors and one pair of 4311's that I bought around 1973. They've been sitting in a closet for years, but back in the 70's I had a Marantz receiver/amp (w/ the gyro wheel) driving them and they sounded great. I can imagine what a Mac (or Carver) amp sounded like hooked up to them. I need to find new brown or orange foam grill covers for them because they just evaporated over time.....

Mikie; how is the sound on the 4311 's ? Are they bookshelves ?  The 4320's were mammoth ; three feet by three feet. I bet the Marantz receiver/amp could drive them ; before I got the McIntosh stuff as there were economic limitations on my wallet at that time, I was powering the 4320's with a Marantz and it wasn't bad. I changed the grill covers on the 4320's twice before the ocean got them !

Ray, the 4311 was a bookshelf studio monitor, very close to the sound of the made-for-consumer L-100's which were very popular for a long time in the 70's. Both were made in Glendale Cali. The 4311 had the same crossover and drivers (mounted closer together) except the woofer was tied directly to the amp, which gave it a little brighter and punchier sound and better imaging.

Mikie, you can get great original looking L100 Quadrex foam grill inserts from Sculpted Foam Innovations on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JBL-L100-CENTURY-QUADREX-FOAM-GRILLE-INSERTS-L-100-/271556575346?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f3a088072.  They are available in the original factory colors of Russet Brown, Burnt Orange, and Ultra Blue for $150 + shipping.  A few months ago I brought my L-100's back to life with a new pair of Ultra Blue inserts, replacing the original and more sedate brown grilles, figuring the ultra blue would give me a cool retro 70's look, although I must admit that the reaction to the ultra blue from my wife and other females has been rather tepid, my saving grace being that those speakers are in the family room and not the living room.

Ray, yeah, those 4320's put out thunderous bass from two 15 inch woofers per pair, and four in Brian's set up!  I'm sort of disappointed but not surprised to hear that Brian has gone for a more sedate in-wall set up, but that's what all the designers are pushing today.  Maybe another pair of 4320's at home would inspire him to make that rock n roll album he's been talking about for years!  For sure a nice pair of 4320's would be hard to find today.  The last time I saw a pair was about 20 years ago at the home of a guy who had personally known Jim Lansing and was restoring and reselling classic JBL's, which filled his house and garage, with many of them being shipped to Japan.  Another JBL two way speaker with 15 inch woofers and horn loaded tweeters from the era is the L200 Studio Master.  Not sure if they use the exact same drivers, and I've not heard them so as to offer an opinion on their sound compared to the 4320's.  The L200's were sold by the JBL consumer division and are somewhat similar in size to the 4320's.  If you're interested, here's some spec sheet comparison info for the L200's and 4320's - http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1973-l200.htm  and  http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4320.pdf.

CM, thanks very much for this information! I will definitely look into this. Gives me another reason to pull my speakers out and rejuvenate them with new grille inserts. My original ones were Russet Brown, but I might spring for the Burnt Orange ones this time. I use to play all of my vinyl through my L-100's in the 70's and 80's as they were built for Rock & Roll. Great bass and good mid range. I bought the pedestals for them at the time so they were suspended off the floor and against the wall. They obviously don't sell them in the U.S. anymore but I heard you can still get them out of Japan, including original parts.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:19:41 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »

Theakstons Old Peculiar. Dark, strong and has a hint of dandilion and burdock to it. Next time you're in Yorkshire, Ray, allow me to introduce you to some of the world's greatest beers (they're not generally referred to as 'ales' in the country of their birth, outside of London).

I used to drink Old Peculiar at the Harbor Inn in The Flats, Cleveland.  Now THAT'S a taste you remember!

......um yeah, about Brian's new album........

I've grabbed me a few too many bottles of if on my way home from work in my day Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

With all the good beer recommendations so far, I wanted to offer one for the whiskey drinkers. This is terrific whiskey, among the best if not the best of its kind I've ever had. I've had it mixed in a Manhattan, rocks, etc...but the best way by far is to sip it straight. This is WhistlePig, straight rye 100 proof bottled in Vermont. Fantastic.

I tie it into the thread because as the photo shows, I'm low on the one bottle but still have a full bottle waiting. And I'm planning to make some of it last until whenever this new album gets released, and I can pour a glass for the listening session.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »

LOVE me some Whistle Pig!!

Talisker is a fave Scotch of mine, of late
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:11:34 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: July 24, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »

“We live in divisive times.”
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: July 24, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »

Wow, eleven new pages since I last checked the topic! I wonder if they released a new ten-second video!

No, but I now know a lot more about beer.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: July 24, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »

Wow, eleven new pages since I last checked the topic! I wonder if they released a new ten-second video!

But it will be nice to sit back and listen while nursing something good when the album comes out, so read up! These guys know their stuff!!!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: July 24, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »

But it will be nice to sit back and listen while nursing something good when the album comes out, so read up! These guys know their stuff!!!

I'll still have another two and a half years to wait before I'll be able to buy any for myself.

And at the rate this album has been progressing... it'll be right on time for my first legal purchase.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: July 24, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »

I'll still have another two and a half years to wait before I'll be able to buy any for myself.

And at the rate this album has been progressing... it'll be right on time for my first legal purchase.

haha same here!  I've never even heard of most of the brands these guys are talking about.  At least I'll know what to look for when I'm able to buy.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »

haha same here!  I've never even heard of most of the brands these guys are talking about.  At least I'll know what to look for when I'm able to buy.

Same here too. Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1611 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

meh...I'm 36 in a few weeks, and I don't drink. Smoke a lot of weed, but no drink for me.

Anyway, back on topic...surprised Brian hasn't worked with ?uestlove, considering he's a huge fan of Brian.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: July 25, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »

Anyway, back on topic...surprised Brian hasn't worked with ?uestlove, considering he's a huge fan of Brian.

?uestlove collaborator D'Angelo shares a lot of "reclusive genius" traits with Brian Wilson.  The drumming on his album "Voodoo" is so in the pocket that it's part of the fabric.  Yeah, would love to see ?uestlove do some session work with Brian.  Can you imagine the groovy version of "Shortenin' Bread" they could come up with?  Afro

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1613 on: July 25, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »

The frustrating thing is I'll try a new or different brew, then forget the name! I guess there is a joke in there somewhere.

One import I really enjoyed was Geffel Kolsch, and I wondered how it works in the actual country of origin when judging these beers. Like the Geffel Kolsch, I thought it was a great brew, but how is viewed in Germany?

Well, the "Kölsch" style of brewing is the favorite beer type in Cologne, and is only brewn there, but outside many people don't consider it worth drinking. As it seems to get stale very quickly, it is served in unusually small glasses, very thin ones called "poles" - you know, like telegraph poles. I only have one friend who loves Kölsch, but I don't know if the Gaffel brand is one of those Kölsch brands that he likes or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_(beer)

Kölsch is not my kind of beer, however, my favorite one served in pubs here is called "Staropramen dark", a Czech beer.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: July 25, 2014, 02:25:57 AM »

The frustrating thing is I'll try a new or different brew, then forget the name! I guess there is a joke in there somewhere.

One import I really enjoyed was Geffel Kolsch, and I wondered how it works in the actual country of origin when judging these beers. Like the Geffel Kolsch, I thought it was a great brew, but how is viewed in Germany?

Well, the "Kölsch" style of brewing is the favorite beer type in Cologne, and is only brewn there, but outside many people don't consider it worth drinking. As it seems to get stale very quickly, it is served in unusually small glasses, very thin ones called "poles" - you know, like telegraph poles. I only have one friend who loves Kölsch, but I don't know if the Gaffel brand is one of those Kölsch brands that he likes or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_(beer)

Kölsch is not my kind of beer, however, my favorite one served in pubs here is called "Staropramen dark", a Czech beer.

I love Kölsch! As well as Krombacher, Bitburg, and other German light coloured beers - their colour is such that they sometimes, under the right lighting conditions, seem to be luminescent, radiate light themselves.

Others: Bavarian stuff (e.g. Erdinger, and a couple the names of which I forgot, probably due to drinking too much of them).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1615 on: July 25, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »

I love Kölsch! As well as Krombacher, Bitburg, and other German light coloured beers - their colour is such that they sometimes, under the right lighting conditions, seem to be luminescent, radiate light themselves.

Others: Bavarian stuff (e.g. Erdinger, and a couple the names of which I forgot, probably due to drinking too much of them).

I like Krombacher dark, a friend of mine is really into Bitburg, but the Erdinger beers I think are all wheat beers, which I can't get into. I like the dark Bavarian beers like Löwenbräu dark or König Ludwig dark.

I have no idea what you mean with "light coloured beers" though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »

I hate to make this post, but I literally can't find the 10 second clip. Can anyone help? I tried wading through this monstrous thread, but...
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: July 25, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »

I hate to make this post, but I literally can't find the 10 second clip. Can anyone help? I tried wading through this monstrous thread, but...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152548010452241&set=vb.34250497240&type=2&theater
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: July 25, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »

Ok, the booze talk is getting tired.  Can we please get back to bickering?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: July 25, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »

Now that I've heard the clip, I give the album 8/10.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »

One more off topic post.  Has anyone seen this clip that Brian appeared in sometime in the late 80s?  It's pretty ridiculous lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdwhxyYDXE
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »

BRUNO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zTA1SdB2G4
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »

OMG, they have some crazy new Brian Wilson clips on Youtube. I hadn't looked in awhile...

"And Marilyn Wilson is the former wife of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson, whom she says will never be the same again because of drugs."

WOW! What an introduction...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:37:40 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152548010452241&set=vb.34250497240&type=2&theater

Spot the autotune.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: July 25, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »

Spot the autotune.

Well done auto tune, doesn't sound robotic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx