gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680714 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 12:01:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 566820 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »

I, for one, come to this thread on a daily basis looking for exactly what Ray has just given us.  Thank you, Ray!

Quoted for the truth.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 23, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »

Ray once again wins the thread.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 23, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »

Ray is the all time champ

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »

OK! Then no more song snippets please! When people hear such things it can sometimes lead to an opinion, and we can't have those around here... Knowing all the details behind the scenes is one thing but people's ears can still tell them something else.

Sometimes it's better to just say "yeah, man! I hope not" or something when someone expresses a bit of opinionated concern. But this war on opinions here will only end in a quagmire....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:21:54 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 23, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »

when someone expresses a bit of opinionated concern.

Half of this thread is bashing Zooey's career, her vocal on the 10 second snippet, the way Brian sounds on the snippet...not to mention the bs Frank Ocean speculation, the Joe Thomas concerns, GIOMH somehow being a crystal ball that shows this how awful this new album may sound, the negative opinions based on song titles.

If you call 30 pages of this drivel "a bit" of opinionated concern, I'd hate to know what your definition of "a lot" is.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 23, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »

OK! Then no more song snippets please! When people hear such things it can sometimes lead to an opinion, and we can't have those around here... Knowing all the details behind the scenes is one thing but people's ears can still tell them something else.

Sometimes it's better to just say "yeah, man! I hope not" or something when someone expresses a bit of opinionated concern. But this war on opinions here will only end in a quagmire....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »

OK! No more song snippets please! When people hear such things it can sometimes lead to an opinion, and we can't have those around here...

There is no war on opinions. It's all in your mind, dude.

You fundamentally misunderstand how free speech and open discourse works. You share this misunderstanding with a lot of people. You (and they) believe that they should be able to say whatever insane thing they want and have others accept it automatically as valid.

But it doesn't work that way. No one is censoring you. But if you say something that a lot of people disagree with -- or even some people disagree with -- you do not get a pass. You do not get patted on the head. You don't get a gold star. You get pushback. And you don't have to engage with that pushback if you don't want, but it's entirely legitimate.

It's just bizarre. You claim that you want people to express themselves, but you just don't want them to express disagreements with you.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 23, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »

OK! No more song snippets please! When people hear such things it can sometimes lead to an opinion, and we can't have those around here...

There is no war on opinions. It's all in your mind, dude.

You fundamentally misunderstand how free speech and open discourse works. You share this misunderstanding with a lot of people. You (and they) believe that they should be able to say whatever insane thing they want and have others accept it automatically as valid.

But it doesn't work that way. No one is censoring you. But if you say something that a lot of people disagree with -- or even some people disagree with -- you do not get a pass. You do not get patted on the head. You don't get a gold star. You get pushback. And you don't have to engage with that pushback if you don't want, but it's entirely legitimate.

It's just bizarre. You claim that you want people to express themselves, but you just don't want them to express disagreements with you.

I made a valid point even if you disagree. I don't pretend to be an expert on discourse or ..... on anything. And I've been very very clear as to what disturbes me about these conversations. It's not being disagreed with that does it, but it's the flaming and aghast indignation that seems to happen when certain posters are disagreed with. We've seen all manner of put down and insult when daring to disagree. I've posted many positive comments about this album and have let many an insult roll off with a joke or two because, no, I do not get a free pass. That is correct. Why don't you guys take a look at your own behavior for a moment. Just because the majority agrees with your views on this subject it does not mean only those who don't completely agree need to practice common decency.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:46:11 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »

Great post Wirestone  Happy Dance

I still don't understand how or why these arguments (its not really discussion) are taking place. Like I said, I figured there would be nothing but excitement for this album. I can understand skeptics who might have some issues due to problems with past BW album...but every sign is pointing towards this one NOT having those issues. The more I hear about this album, the more excited I get - its release cannot come soon enough!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »

When there are people who haven't heard the album who are already saying it may be a great album, how is that different than people saying they think it might not be? They're both uninformed opinions. It's the battle of guessing games.

I'm not basing opinions on total nonsense like the quality or lack thereof of song titles, or trying to make comments about things that happened or didn't happen in someone's life or in the creative process in general based on things I know absolutely nothing about.

I'm excited simply because it's a new Brian Wilson album with new Brian Wilson vocals, new Brian Wilson songs, and new Brian Wilson arrangements. And I'm a fan of Brian Wilson's vocals, songs, and arrangements.

If I were not a fan of Brian Wilson and didn't care about this new album, I might say I'm not excited about this new album and simply *not buy it* when it comes out. But I wouldn't go pissing on other people's enthusiasm especially by using points like bland song titles to say the songs won't be good before hearing them. Or trying to suggest a lack of inspiration or focus will be a factor when I don't know jack squat about either subject enough to even qualify the statement.

I've said all along, about this and the movie and everything else: Save your money, don't buy the album, don't buy a ticket. Simple as that. Just don't try to sell others here on how bad it will be by using faulty logic or information as a basis.

OK ; where do I start ? First , with what my ears have told me over the years. In 1962 I was a kid hanging out in the Sugar Shack in Breezy Point , NY , when I heard "Surfin Safari " on the juke box ; I knew at that moment it was the most different thing I have ever heard.  In 1965 I went to the Brooklyn Academy of Music to see The Beach Boys in Concert ; the first of over 100 Beach Boys concerts I attended until 1993 at The Paramount in NYC. My ears told me this was the best band I would ever hear, and I have not changed my mind since. In 1966 I opened my first copy of Pet Sounds; my ears told me this was the greatest record of all time ; today in 2014 , my ears tell me the same thing. Sunflower, Today, Summer Days , Holland , Love You.....you get the drift ; my ears told me all I need to know. A friend gave me a cassette copy of Summer in Paradise when it first came out; my ears told me to walk down the street and throw it into the Atlantic Ocean before my neighbors had me arrested for crimes against humanity if I were ever were insane enough to play it again. I have spent several months added up in my life , in recording studios with Brian Wilson. My ears tell me when he is inspired , when a track is good , or when he doesn't give a damn and a track or take is sub par or mediocre. So I will reiterate what my ears tell me about this new BW product . There are 7-8 tracks on this record which should be extremely satisfying to the "purist core" (of which I feel  am one) of the fan base. These tracks include alternating leads by Brian  and Al, alternating leads by Brian , Al and Blondie, a few leads by Brian that are as good as , or better than his leads on TWGMTR. And as I have said before , if none of that is appealing to your individual taste or requirement, don't buy it.  As for the collaborative tracks ; I will only say that I personally was prepared to not like , for example, the Kacey Musgraves track, as I am not a fan of country music.  In this case , I am glad I listened to it and gave it a chance.  I won't comment at all on the other collaborations other than to say that they are different and you should just make up your own mind when you hear them. Point is , and I have said this before; if you are predisposed to not like this record for whatever  reason ;save your money and don't buy it. End of story.  I started posting this stuff because there are actually people who are on this board who are passionate about the music and want to get an idea of what is coming down the turnpike; I have said all I want to say about this record , so I will not comment on it any longer; it serves no purpose to do so, especially given some of the "wankery" that has gone on in the last several pages of this thread.  You should hear it in a few months and judge for yourself; buy it ; don't buy it. Up to you. It is of supernatural indifference to me who buys it/does not buy it ; listener's choice.

My second point is this "handler " fallacy. I have asked several times on this board for the names of these handlers, and nobody has been able to identify them ; why are they as elusive as Dick Cheney's WMD in Iraq ? It is the same scenario; they don't exist. I have been in the Wilson homes , traveled to the UK, continental Europe , Asia and Australia with BW; I never saw any of these handlers; I didn't check under the couches though , maybe they were hiding there !  All artists have managers and publicists; most have wives ; I don't consider them handlers , but rather people doing their jobs for the artists in question . I believe calling these people "handlers" is derogatory; someone posted earlier that handlers work at Sea World; I concur.

Last points ; how do you know that Frank Ocean or Danny Boy are even on this record ? How do you ascertain the quality of a track from a working title ? What was the working title for California Girls ? It was "I Don't Know" ....if you knew that would you say it can't be any good based on this title ?? Why is it a negative that Rolling Stone is paying attention to this release ?

Here is what I know; Brian worked his ass off on this record whether some here want to believe that or not; let the music speak for itself.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

Great post Wirestone  Happy Dance

I still don't understand how or why these arguments (its not really discussion) are taking place. Like I said, I figured there would be nothing but excitement for this album. I can understand skeptics who might have some issues due to problems with past BW album...but every sign is pointing towards this one NOT having those issues. The more I hear about this album, the more excited I get - its release cannot come soon enough!

Also like to add: don't expect us to sit back and twiddle our thumbs if you're claiming there is rap on the album (when no one has even heard the album). Don't expect us to sit on our hands when we're being accused of saying "Brian is in full control of this album" when no one has said that.

That's half the reason why these confrontations start...Because people are claiming things as fact when they're not.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 23, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »

I'm not really a fan of rap, but if any rapper is going to be on a BW album, it needs to be Frank Ocean.  Frank Ocean is more of an R&B rapper.  I think Brian will make it sound great, I just hope the song will be able to flow with the album.   

I'm not so excited about Danny Boy, probably because I heard it on a Late Night show and thought it was...meh.   However, that doesn't mean Brian can't make it great.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 23, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »

I'm not really a fan of rap, but if any rapper is going to be on a BW album, it needs to be Frank Ocean.  Frank Ocean is more of an R&B rapper.  I think Brian will make it sound great, I just hope the song will be able to flow with the album.  

I'm not so excited about Danny Boy, probably because I heard it on a Late Night show and thought it was...meh.   However, that doesn't mean Brian can't make it great.

No one knows whether or not he'd be rapping! I think its more likely Frank would be singing.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 23, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »

I'm not really a fan of rap, but if any rapper is going to be on a BW album, it needs to be Frank Ocean.  Frank Ocean is more of an R&B rapper.  I think Brian will make it sound great, I just hope the song will be able to flow with the album.  

I'm not so excited about Danny Boy, probably because I heard it on a Late Night show and thought it was...meh.   However, that doesn't mean Brian can't make it great.

No one knows whether or not he'd be rapping! I think its more likely Frank would be singing.

I'm pretty sure in the article it said he was rapping.  But also that it might not even make the album.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 23, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »

I'm not really a fan of rap, but if any rapper is going to be on a BW album, it needs to be Frank Ocean.  Frank Ocean is more of an R&B rapper.  I think Brian will make it sound great, I just hope the song will be able to flow with the album.   

I'm not so excited about Danny Boy, probably because I heard it on a Late Night show and thought it was...meh.   However, that doesn't mean Brian can't make it great.

OK! This post is a great example of someone expressing specific concerns yet being positive and hopeful overall.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: July 23, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »

OK! This post is a great example of someone expressing specific concerns yet being positive and hopeful overall.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »

I think its more likely Frank would be singing.

How can you say that? All we've heard is a 9 second clip of Brian and Zooey. Has Brian talked specifically about the Frank Ocean track? Has Frank Ocean commented on the track? Did Larry Fine say that Frank was singing or rapping? That's like judging a song by it's song title. How can you make a comment like this? You're just trying to influence people into thinking what YOU'RE thinking. Don't try to influence others into thinking what the Frank Ocean track will sound like. I can make up my own mind. You are trying to turn your speculation into fact and that's bull--it. And, before you know it, people will start believing it. That's not fair to Brian. You think it's more likely Frank would be singing than rapping. What are you basing this meaningless speculation on? A YouTube video? You're forming your opinion on a YouTube video? Maybe a couple of songs you heard? Youu probably don't like rapping, right? Well just because you don't like rapping doesn't mean Brian doesn't like rapping, and Brian can use Frank Ocean any way he chooses. Who are you to suggest that Brian has to have Frank Ocean sing instead of rapping? What a load of crap! This speculation has got to stop. At least wait until you hear the album to say that Frank Ocean would be singing. You really won't know for a fact until then. The track might not even be released, so why are you talking about it in the first place?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »

I was hanging out with Frank and he told me so I know

"At least wait until you hear the album to say that Frank Ocean would be singing"

I didn't say he would be singing, I said IT'S MORE LIKELY he would be singing. I CAN BE PEDANTIC ALSO>>>YOU HAVE NOT WON
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:31:57 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »

Grin
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

The article clearly states Frank was rapping on his song.  I'm not sure why some of you are ignoring that. 
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 23, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »

The article clearly states Frank was rapping on his song.  I'm not sure why some of you are ignoring that. 

Frank told me otherwise so...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »

"At least wait until you hear the album to say that Frank Ocean would be singing"

I didn't say he would be singing, I said IT'S MORE LIKELY he would be singing. I CAN BE PEDANTIC ALSO>>>YOU HAVE NOT WON

It's OK, Woodstock. You didn't have to edit your post because of what I wrote. I don't mind when people opine, or speculate, or maybe don't express their opinions in a totally clear fashion. However, I was a little disappointed that you did edit the post to try to make your case more clearly because I was hoping you would realize that I was using what you wrote to show how disrespectful and hypocritical some posters have been. This thread continues to show that people on this board do not understand what an opinion is, and more importantly, they do not know how to respect one.

Also, I'm not trying to win anything. But, by your post and Wirestone's above post, apparently you and others are. And that's really sad. Not surprising, but still sad.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »

LOL

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em Huh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 23, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »

Frank told me otherwise so...

I was hanging out with Lana Del Rey, and sadly she had no interest in continuing her "sleeping her way to the top" thing with me  Huh
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 23, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »

It's OK, Woodstock. You didn't have to edit your post because of what I wrote. I don't mind when people opine, or speculate, or maybe don't express their opinions in a totally clear fashion. However, I was a little disappointed that you did edit the post to try to make your case more clearly because I was hoping you would realize that I was using what you wrote to show how disrespectful and hypocritical some posters have been. This thread continues to show that people on this board do not understand what an opinion is, and more importantly, they do not know how to respect one.

Also, I'm not trying to win anything. But, by your post and Wirestone's above post, apparently you and others are. And that's really sad. Not surprising, but still sad.

Good post. You win this round SJS.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx