gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564781 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »

Who gives a f*** about Frank Ocean, Lana Del Ray etc...? This album has Al, Blondie and Dave on it, that's what I'm looking forward to.

We give a f*ck about Frank Ocean, Lana Del Rey, etc BECAUSE this is an album with Al, Blondie, and Dave on it!!!!

But the chips will fall as they may once it's released. And once it's released let's all brace ourselves, because even then people will still be free to express their opinions.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:23:36 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:33 AM »

And once it's released let's all brace ourselves, because even then people will still be free to express their opinions.

Yes, that would be an appropriate time to do so.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:57 AM »

And once it's released let's all brace ourselves, because even then people will still be free to express their opinions.

Can't argue with that.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:31 AM »

Can't argue with that.

That's a first  Tongue
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »

Im sayin this album gonna blow not that it alreAdy blew duh bubbly cheese
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1455 on: July 23, 2014, 01:16:40 AM »

The only thing that I can think of that's recycled is "Summer Means New Love" for this album.
And to counter your point, That Lucky Old Sun, one of his most-loved solo albums also has one recycled song in "Can't Wait Too Long", similar to this album.

Two. "California Role" started life as "Wondering What You're Up To Now" some years earlier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:30:54 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 23, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »

What else did Joe Thomas dig from the toilet for the new LP? I heard Last Song was a Landy era track and Brian has mentioned most of the songs date back quite far.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1457 on: July 23, 2014, 02:03:35 AM »

If Joe Thomas is such a great guy, and if he's worthy of not being regarded with "contempt" in spite of what he did with the C50 live album, then why did Melinda Wilson once sue him? It wasn't just a suit about business matters either, it had charges about Joe trying to make a name for himself off the name of Brian Wilson. And Joe Thomas countersued Melinda Wilson, making some pretty nasty charges about her and making it way more personal than she did in her suit against him. Just wondering how so many fans of Brian don't find it weird that they're working together again and why it's not logical to have some residual mistrust of the man. That, and the fact that "Imagination" is such an Adult Contemporary style of album. Though lots of fans like that album, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Funny that the glaring omission from these examples of Joe Thomas working with Brian is an album that went to #3 on the billboard charts. TWGMTR is pretty damn good proof that Joe Thomas is the right guy to be working with Brian. The life suite at the end of that album is perfect, and according the Ray the majority of the album sounds like the last four songs on TWGMTR. I've no reason to "mistrust" Joe Thomas. And apparently neither does Brian.

By the time I reach the second song on TWGMTR, the pitch correction is like fingernails scraped down a blackboard. I've been consistent in my contempt for the production of this album since it was released.

Judging by the 10 second clip, this album will be no different. Thomas cannot use pitch correction transparently. Speaking as someone who uses it regularly (my voice is not what it was unfortunately), I can tell you it can be used transparently.

Sadly my fandom has taken a bit of a knock thanks to Joe Thomas. Same thing happened with Imagination back in the day. Still, if Brian wants to use him, that's fine. He doesn't owe me anything. Conversely though, I don't owe him anything either, and will happily not be buying this album based on the ten second, auto tune slathered clip.

Thanks Joe for ruining the Beach Boys / Brian Wilson's final output for me!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:09 AM »

Perspective check on a detail:

Jason wrote about Brian's album last fall, and never mentioned any guest artists besides Al, Blondie, Dave, and Jeff Beck.  If it's such big news now, you would think he would have mentioned it back then, nor did he mention any plans of contemporary recording artists being part of the album if names had not yet been decided upon at that point.

Jason wrote about Brian's album last June, even before the Beck tour.  It's no way a stretch that a decision taken "last year" happened some time after the year was half over.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 23, 2014, 02:39:46 AM »

I think we all have different reasons for coming to the same conclusion.... personally, I don't have a problem with Joe Thomas because I dont' think he's the one pulling the strings... to be honest, I have more of a problem with Brian writing something like "The Last Song"... AGAIN.  Yet again we get Sad Brian (cute little trademark symbol my keyboard doesn't have).  Sad Brian (TM) pops up and all the hipsters go crazy. 

I guess I can appreciate it from a "Hey, Brian's screwing Hipsters out of money again because they're so easy" point of view, but He's doen this, at the end, of every album, for the past 10 years, right?  He worked up Smile to put Good Vibrations on the end and made it sound like he was singing from beyond the grave or something, he put "Goin' Home" on the end of TLOS to tell us about how he'll be dead soon... he put "When You Wish Upon A Star" at the end of the Disney album and made it sound like a funeral Dirge.... on the end of That's Why God Made The Radio he put "Summer's Gone" which again, is very beautiful but is another "I'm dying" song.  Now we get "Last Song" which I suppose is again about Brian dying.

Can I just give this a massive "Huh"?

"Good Vibrations" being on the end of "Smile" because he's "singing from beyond the grave"?  What?  It's on the end because it's a big uplifting finale to an album called SMILE ferchrissakes.  "Goin' Home" being about dying?  Nah -- it's explicitly about coming back from his depression.  It isn't even the end of the album -- that's "Southern California".  "When You Wish Upon A Star" being a funeral dirge?  In what universe?  And ending with Rhapsody In Blue?

This just does not touch reality at any two contiguous points.

If you wanted to point to melancholy Brian, you could point to "Midnight's Another Day" and "Summer's Gone", sure.  Course, they happen to be gorgeous, and move rather more people than just hipsters...

Boggled,
Jon Blum
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:10 AM »

What else did Joe Thomas dig from the toilet for the new LP? I heard Last Song was a Landy era track and Brian has mentioned most of the songs date back quite far.

When did Brian mention this? I don't think you can cite me a source, because I don't think it exists. From what I know, there are some tracks from the late 90s, and newly written stuff too.

I was the one who talked about the Last Song being cited before, but I was mistaken.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:58:53 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:08 AM »

Edited because I was feeling especially crabby this morning.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:35:20 AM by Wirestone » Logged
leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 23, 2014, 05:19:22 AM »

Ya know what? I just realized that perhaps it's good to keep Brian working and busy. Perhaps it's part of a therapeutic approach that's working and perhaps they are doing the right thing overall.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:20 AM »

I think Ron has made a prefectly valid point, and one that represents a concern some of us have from time to time. That is, that having said that he hates rap, and having said that he only to oldies radio, and having shown that he is not familiar with the name of at least one of th guests, maybe Brian is not calling the shots while his entourage is trying to have us believe he is.

He usually seems lost and strange in public situations, we know that in-the-studio footage of recent vintage with Brian giving directions was staged (representative, we are told, but alas staged), we have the Jeff Beck account... Hell, we love the man and we have reason to be concerned.

That doesn't mean that we're not looking forward to this new album though.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 23, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »

Guitarfool, I think the whole project(s) sounds forced. He's even rerecording a Summer Days track just like on mediocre Imagination. I might not have heard anything but I know Brian's worst albums are those with the most recycling and guest stars. He's even keeping the summer alive by rerecording New Love, as well as the reported car song Run James Run, not to mention the island song. I wasn't a fan of the reunion fan, and my worst fears are coming to pass.

I'm being honest and open here by saying how reading what you wrote saddens me, and it would if you said it about any artist, ignoring that it's Brian Wilson for the moment.

You're basing an opinion on notions that in some cases aren't even available to judge, you're using a flurry of negative words before even hearing a full song, and you've already convinced yourself that it won't be good BEFORE EVEN LISTENING TO A FULL SONG.

I'm just saying as a music fan in general, open your mind and cast aside your expectations for something being bad before even hearing it. You'll find a lot of incredible, life-affirming music and art that way, by simply being more open to the possibility that something (or someone...) will be *good* rather than expecting it or them to be bad. It's a happier life, trust me. If I could take back the time I was cynical, negative, or expected the worst out of things or people based on preconceived notions I later found were totally false, I would in a heartbeat.

Just give things a chance, and do it with an open mind (and heart) before thinking the worst and being negative.

If *ONE TRACK* on this upcoming album happens to hit your soul the way "Wouldn't It Be Nice" hits me every time I hear it, isn't it worth it? Isn't it worth leaving that one door of positivity at least cracked open with a nightlight on in the dark to welcome that if and when it comes instead of closing and locking the door entirely?

sh*t, isn't it more fun to go into anything in life thinking something good will happen instead of telling yourself and others ahead of time it will all be bad without experiencing it first?  Grin

If this man and his music didn't affect me in the past, I wouldn't care at all about any new music from him. But if even a few lines of one song do what his previous music has done, isn't it at least worth giving it a listen first before thinking the worst?

That's me being 100% open and honest, ultimately it's up to you and everyone else if they want to think it will be good or bad before actually experiencing it. But I know which one of the two makes me more happy today. And I like being happy.  Smiley

This is a great post!  Bravo!

This is Brian Wilson we're talking about.  He's made some great music in the last 26 years, and he has made some not-so-great music as well.  There are songs I really like on every album that he's released since '88.  There are songs I don't really like on every album that he's released since '88.  Guitarfool's "Wouldn't It Be Nice" example is perfect.  If there is anything on this new album that fills me with pure joy, the way that "Melt Away" or "Midnight's Another Day" or "Pacific Coast Highway" does, then it's money well spent.

I don't know how these songs with the guest singers will turn out.  I know I like Brian's backgrounds on Linda Ronstadt's "Adios", and I like his duet with Carole King on "I'm Into Something Good" (did Brian even know Linda Ronstadt or Carole King?  Roll Eyes ).  I also know that I am looking forward to hearing what Brian comes up with on this new material.  I may or may not like it, but I do know that if I dislike one tune, there's a better than average chance that the next one will blow me away.  My 2 cents, anyway.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:41 AM »

I think Ron has made a prefectly valid point, and one that represents a concern some of us have from time to time. That is, that having said that he hates rap, and having said that he only to oldies radio, and having shown that he is not familiar with the name of at least one of th guests, maybe Brian is not calling the shots while his entourage is trying to have us believe he is.

He usually seems lost and strange in public situations, we know that in-the-studio footage of recent vintage with Brian giving directions was staged (representative, we are told, but alas staged), we have the Jeff Beck account... Hell, we love the man and we have reason to be concerned.

I agree with you. So do most people. And, Ron did make some valid points. People tried to shout him down but that's because he hit some nerves, and sometimes the truth hurts.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 23, 2014, 06:06:23 AM »

I agree with you. So do most people. And, Ron did make some valid points. People tried to shout him down but that's because he hit some nerves, and sometimes the truth hurts.

Nah.  Sometimes one's perception of the truth ain't the truth at all.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:09 AM »

I'm really impressed that you're sad about that fact that Brian Wilson is collaborating with some talented musicians who aren't old white men.

Hey, have the Al Jardine tracks been dropped? I guess Blondie is still alright.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 23, 2014, 06:26:00 AM »

This is Brian Wilson we're talking about.  He's made some great music in the last 26 years, and he has made some not-so-great music as well.  There are songs I really like on every album that he's released since '88.  There are songs I don't really like on every album that he's released since '88.  Guitarfool's "Wouldn't It Be Nice" example is perfect.  If there is anything on this new album that fills me with pure joy, the way that "Melt Away" or "Midnight's Another Day" or "Pacific Coast Highway" does, then it's money well spent.

This. As well as Guitarfools excellent post.

People here are basing their negativity partly on "bland song titles". Partly because the songs are "recycled" (songs were recycled for Pet Sounds, songs were re-recorded for Summer Days - recycled material isn't always a bad thing). Partly because GIOMH had guest artists. Partly because Frank Ocean recorded a rap (yet none of us know how this rap transpired during the sessions). One person is refusing to buy the album based off a 10 second iphone clip.

The reasons some of you are using to justify your negativity are downright hilarious. "Others don't sound very promising based on their bland song titles." Really?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 23, 2014, 06:38:13 AM »

Ron's a jerk, enough said!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: July 23, 2014, 06:41:36 AM »

I’ve noticed something concerning the “recycling” of old song ideas. Why is that bad? I’m not talking about remakes of BB songs and whatnot. But when someone condescendingly points out “Brian was just recycling a demo from 1983” or something, so what?

If the discussion is about how much Brian presently writes from scratch, I suppose that is a pertinent piece of information. But if we’re just trying to ascertain whether a piece of music or an album is good, why does it matter when the song was written, especially if it’s something we haven’t heard?

This came up as well during some discussions of Al’s album. If you think “And I Always Will” is totally boring schlock, that’s fine. But the fact that it apparently was written and possibly tracked (though never booted or heard) back during the BB ’85 sessions has nothing to do with whether the song is good or bad.

I understand that heavily mining old material can be a sign of how a project is going. But I think this is often overstated. We also don’t have full access to their brains or their demo recordings. How do we know some of our favorite, “totally new” tracks weren’t actually demoed a decade earlier and we simply didn’t/don’t know?

Something like the GIOMH album was somewhat different. Simply perusing the tracklisting revealed a number of songs we had already heard. If you didn’t like “Rainbow Eyes” and then you saw it on the GIOMH tracklisting, then it wouldn’t be completely out of line to start to guess that you probably wouldn’t like the new recording either, while still hopefully reserving final judgment.

But with this new Brian album, it’s mostly pure conjecture as to what might be newly-written. More importantly, it appears as though *very little* of what could end up on the new album would be compositions we're already heard. If I haven’t heard it before, and if it’s good, I don’t care if some track Brian wrote with Thomas was written in 2013 versus 1998.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 23, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »

The life suite from TWGMTR was recycled material - doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the final product one bit.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1472 on: July 23, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »

If Joe Thomas is such a great guy, and if he's worthy of not being regarded with "contempt" in spite of what he did with the C50 live album, then why did Melinda Wilson once sue him? It wasn't just a suit about business matters either, it had charges about Joe trying to make a name for himself off the name of Brian Wilson. And Joe Thomas countersued Melinda Wilson, making some pretty nasty charges about her and making it way more personal than she did in her suit against him. Just wondering how so many fans of Brian don't find it weird that they're working together again and why it's not logical to have some residual mistrust of the man. That, and the fact that "Imagination" is such an Adult Contemporary style of album. Though lots of fans like that album, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Funny that the glaring omission from these examples of Joe Thomas working with Brian is an album that went to #3 on the billboard charts. TWGMTR is pretty damn good proof that Joe Thomas is the right guy to be working with Brian. The life suite at the end of that album is perfect, and according the Ray the majority of the album sounds like the last four songs on TWGMTR. I've no reason to "mistrust" Joe Thomas. And apparently neither does Brian.

By the time I reach the second song on TWGMTR, the pitch correction is like fingernails scraped down a blackboard. I've been consistent in my contempt for the production of this album since it was released.

Judging by the 10 second clip, this album will be no different. Thomas cannot use pitch correction transparently. Speaking as someone who uses it regularly (my voice is not what it was unfortunately), I can tell you it can be used transparently.

Sadly my fandom has taken a bit of a knock thanks to Joe Thomas. Same thing happened with Imagination back in the day. Still, if Brian wants to use him, that's fine. He doesn't owe me anything. Conversely though, I don't owe him anything either, and will happily not be buying this album based on the ten second, auto tune slathered clip.

Thanks Joe for ruining the Beach Boys / Brian Wilson's final output for me!

So you're convinced based on a ten-second video clip recorded on a phone that you hear Autotune? That's absurd. It's this kind of thing that bothers me because you've already convinced yourself of a reason not to like something based on not only a phone video but more importantly, your insistence that you hear Autotune.

Just let me run a hypothetical or two here: What if it were to be reported that no Autotune was used on those specific vocals you claim were Autotuned, or even more obvious what if when the album is actually released and you can hear a final mixed and mastered version of that song, you hear no traces of Autotune? What if...Joe Thomas wasn't even there as that clip was being recorded, or any of the previous vocal stacks were being overdubbed?

Or is it better to find a way to not like something you're convinced won't be good, even when we don't know yet what actually happened?

What if?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1473 on: July 23, 2014, 07:09:19 AM »

Exactly right. But don't try to tell some of these folks who are already convinced they won't like it, who already know it will be bad before even hearing a full track from the album, and who seem to enjoy wallowing in the mud of being negative and telling others how "the truth" equals taking pessimistic assumptions based on nothing but personal hang-ups and biases established before hearing the actual music to get a circle-jerk going with others who like to spread the misery instead of share in the anticipation and excitement people may have over hearing new music like this.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 23, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »

No, he is being shouted down because (as usual) he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx