gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564717 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #1350 on: July 22, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »

Just because he may not be passionate about the guest singers, doesn`t mean that he hasn`t been passionately working on the music for the past 18 months.

Well... no... it kind of does mean he doesn't give a sh*t.  You can get a ton of examples of Brian not giving a sh*t on the last album he did that had guest artists.  Go check it out.  That's the whole point we're all trying to stab you with.  

So because GIOMH was crap then it follows that this will be a carbon copy?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 22, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »

It's only natural to have doubts, but it's no use trying to convince others that the album you haven't heard yet is going to be bad. You can voice your concerns about rapping on a BW album, but you can't outright criticize it before listening.

Sure you can.  You can criticize ideas, can't you?  It's a shitty idea.  I hope he proves me wrong, I hope it's the best rap song Brian Wilson's ever recorded.... but I doubt it.  
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »

What I'm excited about are the reported Al/Brian lead vocal swaps n such!!!!! .... There hasn't yet been quite enough of that in the world!

Yes, that will be a highspot for sure.  It's kind of amazing that they haven't worked more together, since it seems they've never had a falling out or anything.

I wonder how Blondie's voice is holding up these days!

Either way, Blondie, Al, and Brian singing together could never possibly sound as bad as that Sting, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams power ballad thingy from way back when.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »

Yeah, I can't believe that the man who wrote 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' in 1966 is including a pro LGBTQ country artist and an R&B singer who is bisexual on his album. How terrible.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Nicko1234
« Reply #1354 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »

Yes, that will be a highspot for sure.  It's kind of amazing that they haven't worked more together, since it seems they've never had a falling out or anything.

Certainly a falling out between the camps though...

In the BBC documentary from way back Al states, `They won`t let me call him.` or words to that effect.

Al`s lawsuits may not have helped.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »

Just because he may not be passionate about the guest singers, doesn`t mean that he hasn`t been passionately working on the music for the past 18 months.

Well... no... it kind of does mean he doesn't give a sh*t.  You can get a ton of examples of Brian not giving a sh*t on the last album he did that had guest artists.  Go check it out.  That's the whole point we're all trying to stab you with.  

This is the "logic" of the argument it seems.

Yet Ray Lawlor says this new material is just like that of the Life suite on TWGMTR. . . but we'll just ignore that nugget of information for the sake of carrying on this same monotonous argument for another 30 pages.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »

It's only natural to have doubts, but it's no use trying to convince others that the album you haven't heard yet is going to be bad. You can voice your concerns about rapping on a BW album, but you can't outright criticize it before listening.

Sure you can.  You can criticize ideas, can't you?  It's a shitty idea.  I hope he proves me wrong, I hope it's the best rap song Brian Wilson's ever recorded.... but I doubt it.  

There's also the very real possibility that any one of these reported duets might not even make the finished album.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »

The best indicator of future results is past experience.  

Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Fool me once, shame on Brian Wilson.  Fool me twice, shame on me!

etc. etc. etc.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 22, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »

What I'm excited about are the reported Al/Brian lead vocal swaps n such!!!!! .... There hasn't yet been quite enough of that in the world!

I wonder how Blondie's voice is holding up these days!

Either way, Blondie, Al, and Brian singing together could never possibly sound as bad as that Sting, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams power ballad thingy from way back when.

So, you're suggesting then, that three guys who are friends and worked together years ago, will end up sounding better than 3 dudes who got thrown into a recording because they were all commercially successful but didn't know each other?

Nah.... can't be. 
Nicko1234
« Reply #1359 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »

etc. etc. etc.

GIOMH sounds like Brian cut every song in one vocal take and couldn`t wait to get out of the studio.

The new album he has worked on for 18 months.

There is no comparison.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »

etc. etc. etc.

GIOMH sounds like Brian cut every song in one vocal take and couldn`t wait to get out of the studio.

The new album he has worked on for 18 months.

There is no comparison.

No, no, Nicko. Only Brian's handlers, guest singers, and Joe Thomas have been working on this record.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 22, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »

Yet Ray Lawlor says this new material is just like that of the Life suite on TWGMTR. . . but we'll just ignore that nugget of information for the sake of carrying on this same monotonous argument for another 30 pages.

Ray seems like a nice enough guy, but the day I trust Ray's ears of what he says he's heard, over my ears of what I've already heard, will be the day Alzheimer's finally wins.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 22, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »

I can't believe you just insulted Ray like that.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 22, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »

Ray seems like a nice enough guy, but the day I trust Ray's ears of what he says he's heard, over my ears of what I've already heard, will be the day Alzheimer's finally wins.

Oh, you mean the nine seconds that you've heard versus the multiple full songs that Ray has heard?
Yeah, that seems reasonable.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »

Welcome to the smiley smile board Tuesday night round table

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »

And the day I use GIOMH and a 10 second iphone clip as a means to judge this new album with, will be the day I lose any concept of logical thought as well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »

etc. etc. etc.

Every one of the guests on this album is making good music in the last two years and is under 30. It's p much the exact opposite of GIOMH, if you actually knew anything about modern music.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »

Go to bed Ron, you are drunk on moonshine again.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 22, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

Oh, you mean the nine seconds that you've heard versus the multiple full songs that Ray has heard?
Yeah, that seems reasonable.

No, I mean the complete album of half-assed sh*t that I've heard 10 years ago the last time Brian was forced to work with people he didn't really give a sh*t about working with.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 22, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »

And the day I use GIOMH and a 10 second iphone clip as a means to judge this new album with, will be the day I lose any concept of logical thought as well.

If you were around when the stinking turd that was GIOMH dropped, you would have been excited as hell too with all of the Ray's telling us how great it was going to be.  Then... Duh duh duhhhhhh.  Horror.  Shock.  Sadness. 

Just sayin'.  The album might suck.  I hope it doesn't.  Sounds like it will.  Just my opinion, you're free to have yours. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 22, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »

If you actually read this thread, Brian knows Zooey so well that she babysits his kids.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 22, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »

etc. etc. etc.

Every one of the guests on this album is making good music in the last two years and is under 30. It's p much the exact opposite of GIOMH, if you actually knew anything about modern music.

I hope you're right!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:18 PM »

Why is it an insult to Ray Lawlor to say he's entitled to his opinion, but other people may not have an identical opinion once they hear the album? Some people may like it even more than Ray, some people may like it less. Some people may like or love it but not compare it to the life suite. Having people who have heard it in advance and say things about it doesn't make it so for another person's experience once they have the same opportunity. That also goes for Don Was and his remarks in the latest RS article.  The fans and also music critics will form their own opinions once it's released. Maybe it will mirror what has been said -- or not.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »

If you actually read this thread, Brian knows Zooey so well that she babysits his kids.

Really?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 22, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »

Exactly, and Frank painted his house, Kacey washes his car in cowboy boots, and Lana dropped acid in his pool.  We'll see how the album turns out.  
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx