gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:36:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564857 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 22, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »

If Joe Thomas is such a great guy, and if he's worthy of not being regarded with "contempt" in spite of what he did with the C50 live album, then why did Melinda Wilson once sue him? It wasn't just a suit about business matters either, it had charges about Joe trying to make a name for himself off the name of Brian Wilson. And Joe Thomas countersued Melinda Wilson, making some pretty nasty charges about her and making it way more personal than she did in her suit against him. Just wondering how so many fans of Brian don't find it weird that they're working together again and why it's not logical to have some residual mistrust of the man. That, and the fact that "Imagination" is such an Adult Contemporary style of album. Though lots of fans like that album, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Funny that the glaring omission from these examples of Joe Thomas working with Brian is an album that went to #3 on the billboard charts. TWGMTR is pretty damn good proof that Joe Thomas is the right guy to be working with Brian. The life suite at the end of that album is perfect, and according the Ray the majority of the album sounds like the last four songs on TWGMTR. I've no reason to "mistrust" Joe Thomas. And apparently neither does Brian.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:43:12 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »

If Joe Thomas is such a great guy, and if he's worthy of not being regarded with "contempt" in spite of what he did with the C50 live album, then why did Melinda Wilson once sue him? It wasn't just a suit about business matters either, it had charges about Joe trying to make a name for himself off the name of Brian Wilson. And Joe Thomas countersued Melinda Wilson, making some pretty nasty charges about her and making it way more personal than she did in her suit against him. Just wondering how so many fans of Brian don't find it weird that they're working together again and why it's not logical to have some residual mistrust of the man. That, and the fact that "Imagination" is such an Adult Contemporary style of album. Though lots of fans like that album, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I believe that I said he seemed like a nice guy! I know nothing of his problems with Melinda. I met the gentleman one time. He had a very nice jump shot. Seemed like an athlete. He was working with another artist. I spent a  few days listening  as an assistant in the studio. Brian Wilsons name never came up. He was there the next month with Stevie Nicks. I did not work on that session. All I said is that the guy seems to be respected as none of these artists are slouches. Neither are Dave Matthews or Tom Petty.  I used to work at a pretty big studio in Nashville. He was always there. How do you make a name for yourself off of Brian Wilson anyway? History is history. You either work with people or you don't . You either get hired back or you don't. In Brians case it looks like he was hired back. You are kind of making my point though. If he was sued by Melinda, which I did not know, then i doubt if he has any real authority with Brians day to day decisions. So either you can blame the guy for one or the other, but my point is, and getting off of Thomas specifically, it seems that everyone on this site blames either him, or Mike Love or management or Jeff Foskett or someone for everything they do not like. Brian would have to be involved in some of these decisions good or bad? No? Including how the albums sound.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 22, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »

Does Kittykat ever say anything positive about a BBs/BW project? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:55:43 AM by BW IS A GENIUS! » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 22, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

Am I wrong in thinking that the presence and involvement of producer Don Was on bass, who is into organic recordings, might have an influence on the way the record will be produced?
Maybe he makes Joe Thomas up his game. He can't get away with bad auto tune in the presence of a more well known colleague.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »

Does Kittykat ever say anything positive about a BBs/BW project? Roll Eyes

No one seems to notice when lots of people make positive statements about BW or agree with a certain cadre of posters ...... But when something not so positive, or something they take as negative gets uttered ...... it's RUN FOR THE HILLS TIME!!!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: July 22, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »

I had my JBL 4320 Studio Monitors wiped out in Superstorm Sandy, and I bought a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's to replace them as I couldn't find any....that Sinatra /Jobim record on the DQ20's with a bottle of Opus One 2001 to accompany it is a beautiful thing.

Bummer to hear about your JBL 4320's!

I'm curious how you would compare the sonic signature of your Dahlquist DQ-20's to your previous JBL 4320's, both with and without the benefit of a bottle of Opus 1.

(For those not into classic loudspeakers, the JBL 4320 professional studio monitors featured a huge 15 inch woofer and horn loaded tweeter.  They were introduced in 1968 as the D50's and renamed the 4320's in 1970.  The Dahlquist DQ-20's are classic 3 way speakers, but I have never heard a pair.)

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »

Nothing will give. There will be no next BB album.

As Sean Connery learned when saying he'd never play the role of James Bond again, never say never again.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »

Am I wrong in thinking that the presence and involvement of producer Don Was on bass, who is into organic recordings, might have an influence on the way the record will be produced?
Maybe he makes Joe Thomas up his game. He can't get away with bad auto tune in the presence of a more well known colleague.

I would rather Don Was made BRIAN WILSON up his game, but you are probably more correct in the way you worded it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »

But take note, even a current "star" in music like Robin Thicke had a recent album that literally collapsed with a dull thud and sold next to nothing when it dropped. Here are the numbers: Robin Thicke's Paula has bombed in both the U.S. and the U.K. It sold just 24K copies in its first week in the U.S., which allows it to enter the Billboard 200 at No. 9. It did much worse in Britain, where it sold just 530 copies (you read that right) and entered the chart at No. 200.
Lest we think the system of charts and all that is on the up-and-up, note that in the UK this turkey of an album sold 530 copies.

O/T but this makes me really happy.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »

But take note, even a current "star" in music like Robin Thicke had a recent album that literally collapsed with a dull thud and sold next to nothing when it dropped. Here are the numbers: Robin Thicke's Paula has bombed in both the U.S. and the U.K. It sold just 24K copies in its first week in the U.S., which allows it to enter the Billboard 200 at No. 9. It did much worse in Britain, where it sold just 530 copies (you read that right) and entered the chart at No. 200.
Lest we think the system of charts and all that is on the up-and-up, note that in the UK this turkey of an album sold 530 copies.

O/T but this makes me really happy.

With Spotify and the like, it's rather amazing anyone buys albums at all these days! Especially someone like Robin Thicke! His fans likely aren't exactly pining for a quadrophonic release on 180 gram vinyl.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:51:49 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1310 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:11:11 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: July 22, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »

Hey his fans deserve to hear his songs about date rape in perfect high fidelity.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »

All the conjecture in threads like this one is the reason people are driven away from this board and the reason this board kind of sucks sh!t until we actually get to hear the BW/BB music about to be released and all the naysayers and sh!tsuckers fall back into the woodwork.

Everybody needs to take a shutthefuckup pill and stop badmouthing musical projects until they actually get to hear them.

I am not at all a fan of any of the "featured modern radio vocalists" that will be appearing on this release but this is Brian "I Write The Fuckin' Songs And Produce Them As Well" Wilson about to release an album and everything he's been involved with in the past 11 years has been SOLID GOLD DON'T YOU FORGET THAT.

Still I'd like to know how somebody involved in garbage like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWZkiIGVIM can end up singing or "rapping" on a BDub track.

Anyways. Back to your regularly scheduled bitching about music nobody hear but Ray Lawlor has hear more than a solid NINE SECONDS of.

No mas, por favor.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 22, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »

it's rather amazing anyone buys albums at all these days! Especially someone like Robin Thicke! His fans likely aren't exactly pining for a quadrophonic release on 180 gram vinyl.
  They should be .  It's the only mix personally supervised by Robin.

there may be, but after most original members have passed, and whoever is left adds addition vocals to pre recorded tracks.....

seems to be a popular thing after death.....

RickB
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 22, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »

it's rather amazing anyone buys albums at all these days! Especially someone like Robin Thicke! His fans likely aren't exactly pining for a quadrophonic release on 180 gram vinyl.

there may be, but after most original members have passed, and whoever is left adds addition vocals to pre recorded tracks.....

RickB

Can't wait to hear the newly finished in the year 2039 Beach Boys album SMiLE completed by the hologram versions of 1966 (before he lost it) Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al and Miguel Eduardo Amor.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »

Gee, I hope Brian releases his album soon.

“We live in divisive times.”
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: July 22, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »

RickB

Can't wait to hear the newly finished in the year 2039 Beach Boys album SMiLE completed by the hologram versions of 1966 (before he lost it) Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al and Miguel Eduardo Amor.

as Bruce finally gets his old/new come re-new version of 'she believes in love' released in 2026, with original vocals by original Beach Boys....

available at an iTunes download for 99c.....

RickB
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: July 22, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »

May I note that not a single person on this board has heard more than a 10-second iPhone clip from this album?

... Apparently not.

Brian Wilson is not perfect, but he's no idiot. He can still write, arrange, sing and play. He's making a new record, and hopefully it will have some good tunes on it. He's worked with some younger singers, and folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality). So what is the problem?

It's going to be a splashy record, with big-name guests, released to coincide with a movie and book. It's a 21st-century multimedia extravaganza. It's why someone like Joe is still involved (making trains run on time), and why Brian still has a major-label deal. So I look forward to rolling with it and seeing what happens.

I think the problem with most of us who's expectations for the album are somewhat tempered, is just a nagging feeling that Joe Thomas is up to tricks that are not exactly in line with presenting the best Brian possible .... Given Brian's history, these are not illogical concerns. Like Savonarola with Botticelli, such situations don't generally end well.

I think we all have different reasons for coming to the same conclusion.... personally, I don't have a problem with Joe Thomas because I dont' think he's the one pulling the strings... to be honest, I have more of a problem with Brian writing something like "The Last Song"... AGAIN.  Yet again we get Sad Brian (cute little trademark symbol my keyboard doesn't have).  Sad Brian (TM) pops up and all the hipsters go crazy. 

I guess I can appreciate it from a "Hey, Brian's screwing Hipsters out of money again because they're so easy" point of view, but He's doen this, at the end, of every album, for the past 10 years, right?  He worked up Smile to put Good Vibrations on the end and made it sound like he was singing from beyond the grave or something, he put "Goin' Home" on the end of TLOS to tell us about how he'll be dead soon... he put "When You Wish Upon A Star" at the end of the Disney album and made it sound like a funeral Dirge.... on the end of That's Why God Made The Radio he put "Summer's Gone" which again, is very beautiful but is another "I'm dying" song.  Now we get "Last Song" which I suppose is again about Brian dying.

I'm with Mike on that one.    I know.  It sucks.

I love that the guy's writing new stuff (I thik he is), but motherfucker, can he give us an "I'm still Alive" song instead of a "I'm Almost Dead" song every once in awhile?

/rant off

I hate to tell people that their opinion is wrong, but I think you're ignoring quite a number of songs from Brian in the past 10 years that feature uplifting lyrics and uplifting vocals. Just off the top of my head Morning Beat, Oxygen to the Brain, Spring Vacation, and plenty more. All of these songs say "I'm still alive" pretty loudly.

It's fairly typical for the last track of an album to be more reflective, whomever the artist. But are you really criticizing a 72-year old artist, who has struggled with some form of depression for much of his adult life, for writing reflective music as his career and life winds down? I think it's fair to say we've had more than our share of uplifting Brian Wilson music over the past 50 years that we can "forgive him" for a few reflective songs at the end of his recent albums.

This. x 1000.

Oh and Goin' Home?  Funeral dirges don't sound like three chord rock and roll, Ron!

At 25, he turned out the lights, but now he's back!  Until the next track! 

It's just all too somber for me.  I like his ass-kicking songs better, Goin' Home is pretty ass kicking, I should have said "In Southern California"... you know, the one that sounds like we're all standing graveside.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: July 22, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »

We are all here because of Brian (and maybe a few other guys) yet some feel the need to complain while he's working his ass of to make us new music, at 72 years of age.

I genuinely think some people should be shamed for criticising the man. He owes us noting and should at his stage of the game be allowed to do as he pleases with nothing but our full support.

If the music sucks then of course voice your opinion when reviewing it but support Brian in his efforts.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1320 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

All the conjecture in threads like this one is the reason people are driven away from this board and the reason this board kind of sucks sh!t until we actually get to hear the BW/BB music about to be released and all the naysayers and sh!tsuckers fall back into the woodwork.

Everybody needs to take a shutthefuckup pill and stop badmouthing musical projects until they actually get to hear them.

I am not at all a fan of any of the "featured modern radio vocalists" that will be appearing on this release but this is Brian "I Write The Fuckin' Songs And Produce Them As Well" Wilson about to release an album and everything he's been involved with in the past 11 years has been SOLID GOLD DON'T YOU FORGET THAT.

Still I'd like to know how somebody involved in garbage like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWZkiIGVIM can end up singing or "rapping" on a BDub track.

Anyways. Back to your regularly scheduled bitching about music nobody hear but Ray Lawlor has hear more than a solid NINE SECONDS of.

Amen

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »

Haven't people been basically unhappy with whatever Brian's doing since ............ 1967?

Think about it.....

And this is why, deep down, I'm happy we're getting all riled up here ...... Brian either does what he wants or what's the path of least resistance in order to get ....... what he wants.

I've mentioned it before, he should be happy, HAPPY I TELL YOU that people still give a sh*t enough to talk about it.  If nobody had message boards talking sh*t about Brian's new album, that would illustrate nobody cared.  

BTW, are there any messageboards that I can go bitch about the latest Barry Manilow record???
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 22, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »

Hopefully not

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 22, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »

Yeah, people just need to stop having opinions or caring so much about music that has been with them for their entire lives to the point where they might care to discuss details and might, by gosh, disagree with each other. We need to all get on whatever that drug was in Brave New World and wait for the album to float down from the sky. But it would never work. Even if all of us did nothing but praise Brian day in/day out someone would eventually disagree or take issue with someone's specific praise.

Preach it, Brother.  not saying I agree with it though, I don't like the font you typed it in, asshole!    Tongue
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 22, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

Yeah, people just need to stop having opinions or caring so much about music they has been with them for their entire lives to the point where they might care to discuss details and might, by gosh, disagree with each other. We need to all get on whatever that drug was in Brave New World! But it would never work. Even if all of us did nothing but praise Brian day in/day out someone would eventually disagree or take issue with someone's specific praise.

Like Chuck said: you can't stop the train, gotta let it roll on!

If you like it so much, say something fucking positive!
Is it really so hard to just not respond to people you disagree with?

you are literally, responding to someone you're disagreeing with right now.  Calm down Sugar.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx