gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:32:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 572119 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: July 20, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »

I became a fan in 1995, when that period started getting recognition, so I  only know those albums as having acclaim.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 20, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

I became a fan in 1995, when that period started getting recognition, so I  only know those albums as having acclaim.

Only good part was, you could find those albums in the 25 cent bin, mint condition Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 20, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »

running into the whole "I lost all interest after Pet Sounds" thing or stuff like "Anything not a Brian song sucks" like "Sail On Sailor is great, but the rest of Holland sucks" "20/20 sucks other than Cabinessence" etc etc etc..... It was rough.

No I mean, who said these things?

"real" music fans back in those days.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1153 on: July 20, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »

Hey Starscream...can I bum another handful of quarters from you? I feel like playing another round.  Grin

Now it's the writer of the RS piece who's the target. Unreal.

I hope those here who have worked in journalism can chime in to clarify some of how it works from the initial setup, to the interview/research itself, to the point where it actually makes the publication stage. There are only so many columns and words given to any piece, and what could have been a 90 minute interview gets broken down into a workable draft, then gets edited further by the publication who will print/publish it. This is unless you're self-publishing a blog or a newsletter with no restrictions on length or content.

As for the writer's "bias", what happens when any writer working the music beat down to the local papers gets contacted by an artist or their PR manager/agent to arrange an interview in relation to promoting an upcoming album or concert in that paper's area? You get a scheduled time saying basically "Artist X will be on the phone from 2:30 to 2:45 Thursday, here are some bullet points to discuss. And don't talk about this or this or that, the artist won't discuss this now...". It happens. It's also why perhaps the publicity "interviews" that appear in areas where a band like, say, The Beach Boys are performing often have the same set of questions and replies when Mike is on the phone, or as of a year ago when Al was out promoting his shows. Ever notice that?

It's part of the game everyone has to play when doing promotions and when writing for that kind of publication promoting an upcoming event or project.

Hell, I'd pay money to see and read a no-holds-barred interview with Mike Love, for one, where he can talk freely about things like Jones Beach, new projects, any feelings related to any of this stuff that's even on this thread and board in general. Is that realistic to read in, say, the Newark Ledger's "music beat" weekly arts section the week before he's coming to the area to play a show? Hell no. It's not part of the promotion. The "interview" or article is designed to sell tickets and promote the show, as it is in almost all of these cases.

So why is the RS piece about Brian's new album under a different standard? It's simply what is done, period, end of story.

Or in the last few pages here since it came out Friday, is it another case of not wanting to challenge what's actually said in the article (or not being able to...) so the writer himself gets called into question?

Let me see if I can find the interview just before Jones Beach, maybe we can contact that writer and ask them why not a word was mentioned about Al Jardine considering his non-appearance seemed pretty significant to a number of fans here, yet *nothing* has been said about it.

Yeah, I'll go with that for now...the part about not wanting to or being able to challenge the actual words written.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 20, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »

Hey Starscream...can I bum another handful of quarters from you? I feel like playing another round.  Grin

I hope those here who have worked in journalism can chime in to clarify some of how it works from the initial setup, to the interview/research itself, to the point where it actually makes the publication stage. There are only so many columns and words given to any piece, and what could have been a 90 minute interview gets broken down into a workable draft, then gets edited further by the publication who will print/publish it. This is unless you're self-publishing a blog or a newsletter with no restrictions on length or content.

As for the writer's "bias", what happens when any writer working the music beat down to the local papers gets contacted by an artist or their PR manager/agent to arrange an interview in relation to promoting an upcoming album or concert in that paper's area? You get a scheduled time saying basically "Artist X will be on the phone from 2:30 to 2:45 Thursday, here are some bullet points to discuss. And don't talk about this or this or that, the artist won't discuss this now...". It happens. It's also why perhaps the publicity "interviews" that appear in areas where a band like, say, The Beach Boys are performing often have the same set of questions and replies when Mike is on the phone, or as of a year ago when Al was out promoting his shows. Ever notice that?

It's part of the game everyone has to play when doing promotions and when writing for that kind of publication promoting an upcoming event or project.

Hell, I'd pay money to see and read a no-holds-barred interview with Mike Love, for one, where he can talk freely about things like Jones Beach, new projects, any feelings related to any of this stuff that's even on this thread and board in general. Is that realistic to read in, say, the Newark Ledger's "music beat" weekly arts section the week before he's coming to the area to play a show? Hell no. It's not part of the promotion. The "interview" or article is designed to sell tickets and promote the show, as it is in almost all of these cases.

So why is the RS piece about Brian's new album under a different standard? It's simply what is done, period, end of story.

Or in the last few pages here since it came out Friday, is it another case of not wanting to challenge what's actually said in the article (or not being able to...) so the writer himself gets called into question?

Let me see if I can find the interview just before Jones Beach, maybe we can contact that writer and ask them why not a word was mentioned about Al Jardine considering his non-appearance seemed pretty significant to a number of fans here, yet *nothing* has been said about it.

Yeah, I'll go with that for now...the part about not wanting to or being able to challenge the actual words written.

But you don't see any articles blaming Brian for any situation that Mike's in or anything he's doing ..... And all Mike does is praise Brian in interviews ..... Not that any/all Mike interviews don't get raked over the coals on this board. But that's all fine and good when it's Mike.

Just look at this! It's like, ah, so Brian's people did this awful thing? ..... But but but, what about this awful thing Mike's done!!!

Yawn!

How many decades of this crap have we gotten?

And, ummmm, BECAUSE it's the name of the game to go into an interview situation with a slant/angle/"bias" this means the reader has no right to be annoyed by this?

Yeah, OK.

And the writer's the target of whom? .... A bunch of people on a messageboard harmlessly talking about things? ...... If this is so bad, then don't go around publishing things! Eeek! I mean, they still publish reader responses in rags like RS and some of them are pretty brutal.... I'm sure the writer in question can handle it...... My first journalism teacher's mantra was "be able to accept criticism"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:37:00 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: July 20, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »

But you don't see any articles blaming Brian for any situation that Mike's in or anything he's doing ..... And all Mike does is praise Brian in interviews ..... Not that any/all Mike interviews don't get raked over the coals on this board. But that's all fine and good when it's Mike.

Really? He never mentions the drug use or Brian's "people"?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 20, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »

Really? He never mentions the drug use or Brian's "people"?

Yeah and that's when we usually diss the interviewers for asking all the same ole questions
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 20, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »

Ugh, I say, ugh!

In a time when a lot of our most-beloved musicians are slowly dying off, here we have Brian Wilson, one of our dear favorites, still creating music for us. The guy has lived through hell and now he's back, as a 72 year old, making us more of his wonderful music. We are incredibly lucky that he's still going and we're even more lucky that he seems to be having a late-career revival, similar to Bob Dylan's. The last few albums have really been great, and I can only hope that Brian pulls through once again and puts out another wonderful collection of tunes that I can really dig. A lot of my musical heroes have very sadly passed, but one of my favorites is still right here, giving me more. I am extremely grateful that he's still working, as he has a knack for music unlike almost any other.

However, most of you just want to seem to have stupid, petty arguments. Who cares who ends up showing up? I trust Brian enough to know that he'll use them well, and he will get the best out of them. We saw it reported with Kacey Musgraves: he had her keep going until he got that one special take. And who cares about what the journalist says? Ignore adjectives and focus on the facts. Brian's making new music; he's getting new faces to work with, so it will be unlike any other album he's made before; he's got Blondie, Al, and Matt on the album, so you know it'll have some great singing and perhaps inspire him to work harder with his former collaborators; he seems to be enjoying himself, or at least his prolific-ness(?) would make it seem so.

Come on, these arguments are dumb and they accomplish nothing. Has anyone's opinions actually been changed at all yet? And if they did, so what? Who cares. Just be happy we're getting new music from the great Brian Wilson and shut the hell up.

Thank you.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1158 on: July 20, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »

Ugh, I say, ugh!

In a time when a lot of our most-beloved musicians are slowly dying off, here we have Brian Wilson, one of our dear favorites, still creating music for us. The guy has lived through hell and now he's back, as a 72 year old, making us more of his wonderful music. We are incredibly lucky that he's still going and we're even more lucky that he seems to be having a late-career revival, similar to Bob Dylan's. The last few albums have really been great, and I can only hope that Brian pulls through once again and puts out another wonderful collection of tunes that I can really dig. A lot of my musical heroes have very sadly passed, but one of my favorites is still right here, giving me more. I am extremely grateful that he's still working, as he has a knack for music unlike almost any other.

However, most of you just want to seem to have stupid, petty arguments. Who cares who ends up showing up? I trust Brian enough to know that he'll use them well, and he will get the best out of them. We saw it reported with Kacey Musgraves: he had her keep going until he got that one special take. And who cares about what the journalist says? Ignore adjectives and focus on the facts. Brian's making new music; he's getting new faces to work with, so it will be unlike any other album he's made before; he's got Blondie, Al, and Matt on the album, so you know it'll have some great singing and perhaps inspire him to work harder with his former collaborators; he seems to be enjoying himself, or at least his prolific-ness(?) would make it seem so.

Come on, these arguments are dumb and they accomplish nothing. Has anyone's opinions actually been changed at all yet? And if they did, so what? Who cares. Just be happy we're getting new music from the great Brian Wilson and shut the hell up.

Thank you.

Well done sir.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: July 20, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »

Ugh, I say, ugh!

Thank you.

It's beyond "ugh" going back to the first pages of this stuff. It's been beyond "ugh" since I saw some doing the same thing before Brian's Christmas album came out last decade, when the "message board" thing was one of the major forces of fan interaction and reactions, instant feedback for artists with both the good and the worst being on display for all to see. But in too many cases, it's about things that haven't even been heard...which leads me to think:

I don't even think it's as much about Brian or whatever he's working on as it is about some kind of negativity held against people who like Brian's music and are excited to hear more. It's also about pissing on someone else's campfire because folks are having fun and are happy about something. Some of us like to see Brian's music talked about in a positive way, and like to see him get recognition. Others don't. *Edited*

Someone asked "what would be the ideal Brian Wilson album?", and honestly it's a rhetorical question because no matter what the man releases, it's not about identifying that notion of someone's ideal BW album as much as it is countering the people who are made happy by it as a result.

I think it was Groucho Marx who was asked "Is a glass half empty or half full?", to which Groucho replied "That depends on who is pouring...". And in this case, some people - I think - want to suggest and convince others that whatever Brian does is half-empty and that will always be the case they'll try to make.

There, I've said it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:03:09 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #1160 on: July 20, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

It's beyond "ugh" going back to the first pages of this stuff. It's been beyond "ugh" since I saw some doing the same thing before Brian's Christmas album came out last decade, when the "message board" thing was one of the major forces of fan interaction and reactions, instant feedback for artists with both the good and the worst being on display for all to see. But in too many cases, it's about things that haven't even been heard...which leads me to think:

I don't even think it's as much about Brian or whatever he's working on as it is about some kind of negativity held against people who like Brian's music and are excited to hear more. It's also about pissing on someone else's campfire because folks are having fun and are happy about something. Some of us like to see Brian's music talked about in a positive way, and like to see him get recognition. Others don't. Some even post things suggesting the '93 box set was "too Brian-centric" and needed more Al Jardine tracks...and at that point it's not an "ugh", it's a WTF?

Someone asked "what would be the ideal Brian Wilson album?", and honestly it's a rhetorical question because no matter what the man releases, it's not about identifying that notion of someone's ideal BW album as much as it is countering the people who are made happy by it as a result.

I think it was Groucho Marx who was asked "Is a glass half empty or half full?", to which Groucho replied "That depends on who is pouring...". And in this case, some people - I think - want to suggest and convince others that whatever Brian does is half-empty and that will always be the case they'll try to make.

There, I've said it.

Again though you are turning things into a Brian versus the other band members with this sort of comment.

It`s also a very bad example as it has been said that Carl had to fight to get Dennis songs on the 1993 box set and that All This is That was nearly not included.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 20, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »

Yeah, people just need to stop having opinions or caring so much about music that has been with them for their entire lives to the point where they might care to discuss details and might, by gosh, disagree with each other. We need to all get on whatever that drug was in Brave New World and wait for the album to float down from the sky. But it would never work. Even if all of us did nothing but praise Brian day in/day out someone would eventually disagree or take issue with someone's specific praise.

Like Chuck said: you can't stop the train, gotta let it roll on!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:45:29 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 20, 2014, 02:42:59 PM »

Yeah, people just need to stop having opinions or caring so much about music they has been with them for their entire lives to the point where they might care to discuss details and might, by gosh, disagree with each other. We need to all get on whatever that drug was in Brave New World! But it would never work. Even if all of us did nothing but praise Brian day in/day out someone would eventually disagree or take issue with someone's specific praise.

If you like it so much, say something fucking positive!
Is it really so hard to just not respond to people you disagree with?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 20, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »

Yeah, people just need to stop having opinions or caring so much about music they has been with them for their entire lives to the point where they might care to discuss details and might, by gosh, disagree with each other. We need to all get on whatever that drug was in Brave New World! But it would never work. Even if all of us did nothing but praise Brian day in/day out someone would eventually disagree or take issue with someone's specific praise.

At least I manage to avoid swearing at people generally....

And I say many a positive thing, but know how easy it is to focus on the negative.

And if we all took your advice, this board would grind to an absolute halt
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:48:00 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: July 20, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »

I don't even think it's as much about Brian or whatever he's working on as it is about some kind of negativity held against people who like Brian's music and are excited to hear more. It's also about pissing on someone else's campfire because folks are having fun and are happy about something. Some of us like to see Brian's music talked about in a positive way, and like to see him get recognition. Others don't. Some even post things suggesting the '93 box set was "too Brian-centric" and needed more Al Jardine tracks...and at that point it's not an "ugh", it's a WTF?

There, I've said it.

Again though you are turning things into a Brian versus the other band members with this sort of comment.

It`s also a very bad example as it has been said that Carl had to fight to get Dennis songs on the 1993 box set and that All This is That was nearly not included.

I'm doing nothing of the sort, and I won't be forced into defending what I said or now having to discuss the box set as you see it. If you want to try diverting away from the main points of what I wrote, at least use something I actually said instead of trying to tell me what I was thinking as I wrote those words since you wouldn't have a clue in that regard. I'm 100% sure of that. Unless you're tapping in via ESP or something.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 20, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »

Ugh, I say, ugh!

Thank you.

There, I've said it.

Thank you both for these posts. Agree wholeheartedly.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 20, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »

And I say many a positive thing, but know how easy it is to focus on the negative.

And now you want to argue with me...
Why must everything be an argument?

I'll say this and I'm done:

Not everything has to be an argument. You don't have to take every opportunity to force your opinions down everyone's throats. Arguments in this thread have literally been going for days non-stop. And for what? So you can be right? Big deal. Would this board grind to a halt if people didn't constantly battle each other over things that don't matter in the slightest? Is it impossible that people would agree on something and have a normal conversation about things they like? I'd rather be at a board that was less active and people weren't so hell-bent on fighting each other with words, rather than one just filled with constant fighting.

But, fine, if that's your bag, have at it. Keep this board afloat with your pointless arguments.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1167 on: July 20, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »

I'm doing nothing of the sort, and I won't be forced into defending what I said or now having to discuss the box set as you see it. If you want to try diverting away from the main points of what I wrote, at least use something I actually said instead of trying to tell me what I was thinking as I wrote those words since you wouldn't have a clue in that regard. I'm 100% sure of that. Unless you're tapping in via ESP or something.

Fine. You`re the one who brought up both Al Jardine and the box set when they have no relevance to what anybody else was talking about.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 20, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

Oh mah gah! It's unreal! Unreal! Who would question that Pulitzer Prize winner Jason Fine for issuing PR shill stuff in the guise of a news article! Ooops, I shouldn't have said that! I'm sooooo sorry! That's real journalism, end of story! END OF STORY! I have to get my smug, condescending, patronizing hat on and start writing five paragraph posts how we should only write positive things about the music of 72 year old Brian Wilson, who is FULLY in control of every note written on his new album. He wrote every song, every note! He arranged every flyspeck on e every chart played on by Jeff Beck and all other session players. He decided every song that was to appear on the album. He produced it all, sliding every slider. He hand-picked every singer who appeared on the album, deciding all the way to last year to have Lana Del So and So and Frank Ocean to sing on his album, because they are his favorite artists, because Jason Fine said they are his favorite artists. Sure, I have to believe that, he's 72  I can't wait to hear it. It will be the best thing since "Pet Sounds" and every bit of an example of how Brian is in total control.  Joe Thomas is just there to worship him from afar. Probably working for free, like a student auditing a master class.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 20, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

Not everything has to be an argument. You don't have to take every opportunity to force your opinions down everyone's throats. Arguments in this thread have literally been going for days non-stop. And for what? So you can be right? Big deal. Would this board grind to a halt if people didn't constantly battle each other over things that don't matter in the slightest? Is it impossible that people would agree on something and have a normal conversation about things they like? I'd rather be at a board that was less active and people weren't so hell-bent on fighting each other with words, rather than one just filled with constant fighting.

But, fine, if that's your bag, have at it. Keep this board afloat with your pointless arguments.

Those are great questions.... Now, only if they didn't just apply to me apparently Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: July 20, 2014, 03:02:07 PM »

Fine. You`re the one who brought up both Al Jardine and the box set when they have no relevance to what anybody else was talking about.

Fine. So to totally remove your attempts to divert away from the other 99% of what I did write, and which you had neither a comment nor a challenge against choosing instead to zero in on one statement, I'll go back and remove the part about Jardine and the box set. Then, perhaps, the crux of what I did say and mean to say will be the focus and no attempts will be made to derail it.

Done.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 20, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »

People are so negative here, it's like they hate BW or something. I swear they would have hate pet sounds since it was against the BBs formula. BW is the same guy who wants to do something in 2014

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 20, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »

Those are great questions.... Now, only if they didn't just apply to me apparently Wink

No, no, Pinder, nothing like that. I would like everybody to shut the hell up.

Although it's clear to see that one person in particular has no plans of saying anything positive.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:10:07 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #1173 on: July 20, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »

Fine. So to totally remove your attempts to divert away from the other 99% of what I did write, and which you had neither a comment nor a challenge against choosing instead to zero in on one statement, I'll go back and remove the part about Jardine and the box set. Then, perhaps, the crux of what I did say and mean to say will be the focus and no attempts will be made to derail it.

Done.

Ah, now who is claiming to have ESP?

I wasn`t attempting to derail anything as could be seen by the fact that I applauded eh for his post where he called for more positivity.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »

No, no, Pinder, nothing like that. I would like everybody to shut the hell up.

On a positive note, and to answer an earlier question: I think TLOS is a good example of an ideal Brian release.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx