gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681099 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:10:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 572113 times)
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: July 19, 2014, 07:28:10 AM »

I for one am sick of the idea that if you like/respect one, you have to hate the other. All of them were extremely talented...there was no weak link in that band.

Gonna disagree there...Bruce Johnston is the weak link

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 19, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »

I for one am sick of the idea that if you like/respect one, you have to hate the other. All of them were extremely talented...there was no weak link in that band.

Rather they all took turns being the "weak link" at times.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 19, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »

For them as might be unaware, Fine is working with Brian on his second autobiography, to be published next year.

If the RS article is indicative of the tone and perspective of the new autobiography, I'll pass. I'm sick of the "Brian rules because Mike sucks" approach.

Some of us are equally sick of "Poor Mike!  Damn that evil Brian and his media buddies!"

word.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »

For them as might be unaware, Fine is working with Brian on his second autobiography, to be published next year.
Lest not we forget https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/468497041128448002 and https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/476748061729767426
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 19, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »

If the RS article is indicative of the tone and perspective of the new autobiography, I'll pass. I'm sick of the "Brian rules because Mike sucks" approach.

Some of us are equally sick of "Poor Mike!  Damn that evil Brian and his media buddies!"

word.

That's uncalled-for. I was referring to the tone of Brian's autobiography co-writer. Can't you disagree with it without remarking that other folk praise Mike at Brian's expense?

Geeez... See? That's what I'm talking about. Where does this stupid sense of reciprocity come from? What's wrong is wrong. I don't like people praising one beach boy at the expense of the other. This "Brian sucks, but more so Mike", its reciprocate formula ("Mike sucks, etc.), and its subrogate forms are sickening. They are not representative of the way the vast majority of normal people here and elsewhere listen to this music. Nor is it relatable on a real one-on-one personal level. It is not informative. It hinders. It does not help. It is utter garbage. And as fun as it may be to keep debate going among us, it is likewise tiresome.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 19, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »

word.

That's uncalled-for. I was referring to the tone of Brian's autobiography co-writer. Can't you disagree with it without remarking that other folk praise Mike at Brian's expense?

Fine is SUPPOSED to be writing from Brian's perspective. He is not supposed to be fair to Mike, which means there's probably going to be a lot of butt hurt Mike Love fans.  Keith was hardly fair to Mick in his book, but it was still a great book.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »

Fine's piece on the reunion was one of the single best pieces of writing on the band I've seen. He seemed to get everyone -- even Mike -- to reveal themselves.

I think the BW in the studio stuff was just talked about way too soon. In retrospect, I bet there's some regret from the pr from last year. As for Brian's people taking it easy on Mike -- this is how old bands work. Read the coverage of Page and Plant lately? These guys know how to get under one another's skin -- and they're not going to stop.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 19, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »

My problem with Fine is that I don't believe some of the things he wrote in his latest article, mainly that Brian had planned to call in guest artists since last year and that the people Brian called were his personal favorites. When the reality seems to be that he had not done this until fairly recently and most of these artists are not only not his favorites, but that it's quite possible he had not heard of them before in at least some instances (Lana "Something" doesn't sound like he knew who she was). Why re-spin a back story like that?  Fine should have quit while he was ahead and just said the basic facts, that these artists have recorded with Brian and some of their tracks may be on the album. There's no need to say why they're there or how they got there. I assume his little stories were to appease the hard-core Brian fan base, but it came off as patronizing. And it also gives me less faith in the job he'll do as Brian's "auto" biographer.

That, and how he handled Van Dyke Parks. Ouch. And Van Dyke was once a personal friend of Brian. Even if he no longer is, he deserved to be treated better and in a professional manner.  How many other interviews for important sources for his book did he pass of to his assistant? Jason should most definitely be doing that himself, not somebody else.  Then to add insult to injury, the assistant attempts to communicate with Van Dyke via public Twitter instead of private channels, as professionals are supposed to do.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:39:40 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »

KittyKat -- You don't have the slightest clue about how journalism works. Don't act like you do, and don't lecture people about it, because it only reveals the not-inconsiderable depths of your ignorance.

It is entirely appropriate to try to contact sources through the ways they're reachable. Van Dyke is very active on Twitter. There's nothing wrong about someone reaching out to VDP in that manner. His reaction has nothing to do with how he's approached, and everything to do with the fact he's on the outs with the BW camp these days.

As for you not believing what Fine writes about the origin of the album, what you say about him is actually libelous. Don't accuse journalists of fabricating things. We take that very seriously, and Fine's piece is quite carefully written. What he actually says is this:

"But last year he got the idea to bring in guest singers to finish the songs."

Fine doesn't say what guest singers. He could just as well be referring to Al and Blondie.

"Wilson had loved working with female vocalists since his early Beach Boys days, when he'd moonlight producing tracks for girl groups like the Honeys, which featured his first wife, Marilyn Rovell."

Nothing wrong there.

"He invited some of his favorite young singers to Ocean Way studios in Hollywood, including Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves and Zooey Deschanel."

Again, Fine doesn't state that Brian knew who they were before this project began, or that he'd been buying their albums for years. He only says that these were some folks that he liked. It's possible that Universal gave him a stack of CDs to listen to and tell them which label mates he wanted on the record.

Now, there are some implications in the piece that may be a stretch, or that people might take the wrong way. But that doesn't mean it's not accurate, and it's most certainly not fabricated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:05:07 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 19, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »

gee what a negative collection of people  Grin
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 19, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

KittyKat -- You don't have the slightest clue about how journalism works. Don't act like you do, and don't lecture people about it, because it only reveals the not-inconsiderable depths of your ignorance.

It is entirely appropriate to try to contact sources through the ways they're reachable. Van Dyke is very active on Twitter. There's nothing wrong about someone reaching out to VDP in that manner. His reaction has nothing to do with how he's approached, and everything to do with the fact he's on the outs with the BW camp these days.

As for you not believing what Fine writes about the origin of the album, what you say about him is actually libelous. Don't accuse journalists of fabricating things. We take that very seriously, and Fine's piece is quite carefully written. What he actually says is this:

Fine doesn't say what guest singers. He could just as well be referring to Al and Blondie.

"Wilson had loved working with female vocalists since his early Beach Boys days, when he'd moonlight producing tracks for girl groups like the Honeys, which featured his first wife, Marilyn Rovell."

Nothing wrong there.

"He invited some of his favorite young singers to Ocean Way studios in Hollywood, including Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves and Zooey Deschanel."

Again, Fine doesn't state that Brian knew who they were before this project began, or that he'd been buying their albums for years. He only says that these were some folks that he liked. It's possible that Universal gave him a stack of CDs to listen to and tell them which label mates he wanted on the record.

Now, there are some implications in the piece that may be a stretch, or that people might take the wrong way. But that doesn't mean it's not accurate, and it's most certainly not fabricated.

Journalists put their work out there for the world to see and absorb/criticize/praise/agree with/disagree with/refute/defend ....... Nothing wrong with someone speaking their mind regarding a published article....

Along with your thinking though, couldn't Mike or Brian or Al or Dave or Bruce easily come on here blasting us saying "You guys don't have the slightest clue about Being a Beach Boy"? .....

C'mon man.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:20:30 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »

Speaking your mind about an article is worlds different from accusing its author of fabrication.

Along with your thinking though, couldn't Mike or Brian or Al or Dave or Bruce easily come on here blasting us saying "You guys don't have the slightest clue about Being a Beach Boy"? .....

Of course they could. And they would be entirely within their not-inconsiderable rights to do so.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1062 on: July 19, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »

Fine`s piece is obviously spin but there aren`t that many previews for albums that state, `This is bilge and you will all hate it`.

His biography of Brian is obviously welcome as any book on the band would be, but it won`t be any more of an autobiography than any of the other efforts imo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 19, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »

Speaking your mind about an article is worlds different from accusing its author of fabrication.

Of course they could. And they would be entirely within their not-inconsiderable rights to do so.

But we'd still sit here and talk about them all day/night, so allow someone to express their perhaps not so highly educated opinion. A journalism degree isn't required to read Rolling Stone, is it?

If a Beach Boy were to say that though, I'd say "Yeah, but you don't have the slightest clue about being a Beach Boys fan" ;P
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 19, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »

Damn. Do you people ever just be glad that he's alive and still making new music? That is what we should talk about. Not all this feuding crap. This place is turning into the FECC forum. That place is full of negative argumentative people. Don't turn into that place. Don't ruin this place. Not many forums are good as this one. Please keep it that way.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 19, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »

Damn. Do you people ever just be glad that he's alive and still making new music? That is what we should talk about. Not all this feuding crap. This place is turning into the FECC forum. That place is full of negative argumentative people. Don't turn into that place. Don't ruin this place. Not many forums are good as this one. Please keep it that way.

Of course we're happy! But alive people making music also create anticipation and discussion!

The Beach Boys have such an insanely long and career, that it's nearly impossible to everyone to be on the same page!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 19, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »

I feel incredibly happy that brian is still creating. I can't imagine ever feeling anything less than excited for anything brian wilson is about to release.

Brian could release his own brand of diapers and id be first in line to buy it,

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1067 on: July 19, 2014, 12:03:55 PM »

Nothing wrong there.

Thank you for answering that hogwash with logic. And yeah,  I wouldnt be surprised if Brian either heard some cds given to him by the label...or maybe heard some stuff played to him by his younger children and became familiar that way.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 19, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »

Nothing wrong there.

Journalists put their work out there for the world to see and absorb/criticize/praise/agree with/disagree with/refute/defend ....... Nothing wrong with someone speaking their mind regarding a published article....

C'mon man.

And you do realize you are responding to someone who is, you know, a journalist, right?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »

Nothing wrong there.

Wirestone, why are you attacking me personally? And why are you so butt-offended by what someone else says? I don't take back a single word of what I said. Not a word of it is libelous.  Wow, talk about over-sensitive.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 19, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »

Nothing wrong there.

C'mon man.

And you do realize you are responding to someone who is, you know, a journalist, right?

And I minored in journalism in college and have had journalistic items published over the years....  So what?

However, I'm not going on about the depth of other poster's ignorance, so I've no need to buffer up my qualifications.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:31:26 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 19, 2014, 12:23:17 PM »

May I note that not a single person on this board has heard more than a 10-second iPhone clip from this album?

... Apparently not.

Brian Wilson is not perfect, but he's no idiot. He can still write, arrange, sing and play. He's making a new record, and hopefully it will have some good tunes on it. He's worked with some younger singers, and folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality). So what is the problem?

It's going to be a splashy record, with big-name guests, released to coincide with a movie and book. It's a 21st-century multimedia extravaganza. It's why someone like Joe is still involved (making trains run on time), and why Brian still has a major-label deal. So I look forward to rolling with it and seeing what happens.

Well I think that is the way to approach it ; roll with it and see what happens; I think you have captured the essence of it.  See if there is stuff there that hits you.  I have heard the whole thing , and can only give you my opinion. I think that for the core fan base there are 7-8 tracks that I would consider "no brainers" ; "Sail Away" kind of reminds me of "Sloop John B" ; lead vocal's by Brian, Al and Blondie , swapping off ; background vocals are great; there are two tracks with rotating lead vocals of Brian and Al which I think are great. There is a ballad sung by Brian that , in my opinion , can be placed with anything he has done (except "SMiLE) ; one track has a jazz feel , with great harmonies; the remake of "Summer Means New Love' is one of my favorites; I always loved the melody of that track;  Brian decided he wanted to sing it so now its a vocal piece , with lead by Brian , and Brian and Al in the chorus; I had read somewhere on the board that this sounded like it could be a "vapid remake " or some such description.....wrong. There is a track that would fit right in with the three part suite that ends TWGMTR, but is definitely not part of it....then there is "Last Song" ...two versions are cut ; one with lead vocal by Lana Del Ray and one with lead vocal by Brian....I find them both essential, and hope the Brian lead sees daylight.   The guest artists ; well I am sure that there will be controversy here ; I love "On the Island" and I was prepared to really dislike the Kacey Musgraves track , simply because I am not big on country.  The track itself reminds me of " I got Plenty Of Nothin" from BWRG; and I really like the song, and her performance. "Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd." is a gas. There are a few more, and I like each and every one of them. The songs are great on this record ; my opinion , and so are all the performances, both lead and background vocals.  What I can tell, by what I heard, is that there are a few backgrounds that are Brian stacked; the rest are Brian, Al, Matt and Jeff Foskett; I believe. .....so there is a very different sound to this record, than any other Brian solo record. There are four legitimate Beach Boys on this record;  Brian , Al, David and Blondie; I think they all sound great, and that is good enough for me.  But if none of that is "your thing "(not you personally, figure of speech) , and the guest artist participation offends your sensibilities, what can I say other than don't buy the goshdarn record !
Am I missing something?   Sail Away is a VDP song. Why no chatter about that? I love that song.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 19, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised if Brian either heard some cds given to him by the label...or maybe heard some stuff played to him by his younger children and became familiar that way.

I would be stunned.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 19, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »

May I note that not a single person on this board has heard more than a 10-second iPhone clip from this album?

... Apparently not.

Brian Wilson is not perfect, but he's no idiot. He can still write, arrange, sing and play. He's making a new record, and hopefully it will have some good tunes on it. He's worked with some younger singers, and folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality). So what is the problem?

It's going to be a splashy record, with big-name guests, released to coincide with a movie and book. It's a 21st-century multimedia extravaganza. It's why someone like Joe is still involved (making trains run on time), and why Brian still has a major-label deal. So I look forward to rolling with it and seeing what happens.

Well I think that is the way to approach it ; roll with it and see what happens; I think you have captured the essence of it.  See if there is stuff there that hits you.  I have heard the whole thing , and can only give you my opinion. I think that for the core fan base there are 7-8 tracks that I would consider "no brainers" ; "Sail Away" kind of reminds me of "Sloop John B" ; lead vocal's by Brian, Al and Blondie , swapping off ; background vocals are great; there are two tracks with rotating lead vocals of Brian and Al which I think are great. There is a ballad sung by Brian that , in my opinion , can be placed with anything he has done (except "SMiLE) ; one track has a jazz feel , with great harmonies; the remake of "Summer Means New Love' is one of my favorites; I always loved the melody of that track;  Brian decided he wanted to sing it so now its a vocal piece , with lead by Brian , and Brian and Al in the chorus; I had read somewhere on the board that this sounded like it could be a "vapid remake " or some such description.....wrong. There is a track that would fit right in with the three part suite that ends TWGMTR, but is definitely not part of it....then there is "Last Song" ...two versions are cut ; one with lead vocal by Lana Del Ray and one with lead vocal by Brian....I find them both essential, and hope the Brian lead sees daylight.   The guest artists ; well I am sure that there will be controversy here ; I love "On the Island" and I was prepared to really dislike the Kacey Musgraves track , simply because I am not big on country.  The track itself reminds me of " I got Plenty Of Nothin" from BWRG; and I really like the song, and her performance. "Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd." is a gas. There are a few more, and I like each and every one of them. The songs are great on this record ; my opinion , and so are all the performances, both lead and background vocals.  What I can tell, by what I heard, is that there are a few backgrounds that are Brian stacked; the rest are Brian, Al, Matt and Jeff Foskett; I believe. .....so there is a very different sound to this record, than any other Brian solo record. There are four legitimate Beach Boys on this record;  Brian , Al, David and Blondie; I think they all sound great, and that is good enough for me.  But if none of that is "your thing "(not you personally, figure of speech) , and the guest artist participation offends your sensibilities, what can I say other than don't buy the goshdarn record !
Am I missing something?   Sail Away is a VDP song. Why no chatter about that? I love that song.
Dave....its newly written by BW....same title as the VDP song
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1074 on: July 19, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »

Nothing wrong there.

Wirestone, why are you attacking me personally? And why are you so butt-offended by what someone else says? I don't take back a single word of what I said. Not a word of it is libelous.  Wow, talk about over-sensitive.

Accusing someone of fabrication IS libelous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx