gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681322 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 10:26:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 573286 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 18, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »

Frank Ocean rapped on "Special Love," though the track remains unfinished and may not make the album.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilsons-girl-powered-lp-in-the-studio-with-the-beach-boy-20140718#ixzz37pXBzi7m
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Thank goodness for that.

Indeed. I don't like to criticize anything before I've actually heard it, and there are actually quite some rappers that I really like, but seriously... If you're making music that has nothing to do with hip hop, please don't ever bring in a "guest rapper". Please.

Frank Ocean is a tremendous singer. He does falsetto and harmonies. He does rap too but he is very versatile. Trust me when I say I would vouch for this collaboration as Frankie Ocean is a huge Brian Wilson and Beach Boys fan.

Apparently he is a studio perfectionist just like Brian was in his heyday and takes his music extremely serious and is far to smart to allow something 'cheesy' to get out. If it's released it will be good. Very happy for him actually. Happy for them both.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:47:06 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1001 on: July 18, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »

This IS the Beach Boy album the Mike Love haters have been waiting for.

Meh. If it was a Mike Love solo album with contributions by Kacey Musgraves, Frank Ocean, Lana Del Ray, the Fun period guy, and Zooey Deschanel, everyone would be bagging on him. If Brian does has these people on his album, it's "creative" and "different".
considering im a fan of most of them, i'd think it'd be pretty cool...just like i already do

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 18, 2014, 03:07:30 PM »

May I note that not a single person on this board has heard more than a 10-second iPhone clip from this album?

... Apparently not.

Brian Wilson is not perfect, but he's no idiot. He can still write, arrange, sing and play. He's making a new record, and hopefully it will have some good tunes on it. He's worked with some younger singers, and folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality). So what is the problem?

It's going to be a splashy record, with big-name guests, released to coincide with a movie and book. It's a 21st-century multimedia extravaganza. It's why someone like Joe is still involved (making trains run on time), and why Brian still has a major-label deal. So I look forward to rolling with it and seeing what happens.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 18, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »

folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality)

They have nothing to gain, but they do have something to lose.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 18, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

May I note that not a single person on this board has heard more than a 10-second iPhone clip from this album?

... Apparently not.

Brian Wilson is not perfect, but he's no idiot. He can still write, arrange, sing and play. He's making a new record, and hopefully it will have some good tunes on it. He's worked with some younger singers, and folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality). So what is the problem?

It's going to be a splashy record, with big-name guests, released to coincide with a movie and book. It's a 21st-century multimedia extravaganza. It's why someone like Joe is still involved (making trains run on time), and why Brian still has a major-label deal. So I look forward to rolling with it and seeing what happens.

Wirestone I am most grateful you are here to inject a bit of logical thought into these threads.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »

This is unfortunately sounding like it's going to be something like Gettin' In Over My Head, an album with no real sense of direction recorded over a period of a few years with a mix of old and new songs and random guest stars.  I can't say my expectations are especially high for this one.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 18, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »

folks involved feel positively about how the project is evolving (including folks from the outside like Ray Lawlor and Don Was, who have nothing to gain by lying to fans about a record's quality)

I think what Wirestone is forgetting is the fact that when you put your name to something you essentially have to own your words which strikes a contrast to the candidness and frankness that many enjoy on internet forums where they are essentially just a screen name.  That being said in no way should anyone interpret this as my way of saying that anyone who has had the privilege of hearing Brian Wilson's latest recordings is being anything other than frank and candid because I personally believe that they are.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 18, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »

... Apparently not.

I think the problem with most of us who's expectations for the album are somewhat tempered, is just a nagging feeling that Joe Thomas is up to tricks that are not exactly in line with presenting the best Brian possible .... Given Brian's history, these are not illogical concerns. Like Savonarola with Botticelli, such situations don't generally end well.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: July 18, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »

I'm well aware that these Rolling Stone articles are written by the guy who presumably will be doing Brian's eventual book. But if there is even some truth to the description of Brian's feelings, then the theory that Brian got over the fizzling out of the reunion very quickly may not be accurate, and that does indeed make the whole debacle sadder.

I'm glad though that the article doesn't mince words over who functionally ended the reunion.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:01:58 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 18, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »

Yeah, but it's obvious Brian and Mike don't get along, so you can't force somebody to continue to work with you and walk on eggshells. The only legit beef fans can have is that Mike still has that tour license, but Brian gave that to him, too. It's sort of funny they both keep talking about how they want to work together, but they don't seem to like each other, and that dislike was there even during the reunion. In any case, their wives don't like each other, and that's just as bad.  Again, not sure why fans who hate Mike wanted him to continue working with Brian. It's not merely what Mike did or did not do to Brian in the past, but the fact that they just plain don't like his singing or his personality. I'm not sure what Brian gains by bringing up someone he doesn't like or get along with anyways. Other than to stir up the more extreme fans that want Mike Love to literally die (one of the comments left on the Rolling Stone story, with at least four thumbs-up from like-minded fans).
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 18, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »

Really ? Please enlighten me with what I have to lose , and what for .
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 18, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »

The Rolling Stone articles are just a proxy used for press releases, which are then referenced back by real journalists to make a contrived "hype machine".

This "market it to the 'young people'" scheme was for nothing. Nobody who is interested in a new Brian Wilson album wants to hear it for [X], and nobody interested only in [X] is even aware of a new Brian Wilson album.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 18, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »

The Rolling Stone articles are just a proxy used for press releases, which are then referenced back by real journalists to make a contrived "hype machine".

This "market it to the 'young people'" scheme was for nothing. Nobody who is interested in a new Brian Wilson album wants to hear it for [X], and nobody interested only in [X] is even aware of a new Brian Wilson album.

The young folks will know when they type their faves' names in iTunes and Amazon search. I'm not sure how many will buy the entire album, but they surely will sell some stand-alone tracks to fans of Lana, Frank, etc. And Zooey, who is known more as She & Him, but since Him is onboard, they can tag it as She & Him.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

"Last Song," the album's centerpiece, is a heartbreaking ballad that was recorded in two versions – one with a haunting vocal by Del Rey and one with Wilson's lead vocals. The song recounts his sadness about the Beach Boys' dissolution. "It started out being about lost love," says co-producer Joe Thomas. "But after the tour fell apart it became more about a missed opportunity for Brian and the guys to ride into the sunset together."

Sounds exciting, yes?

I can only assume that the version of "Last Song" released on the album will be the version with the guest vocalist featured.  That's okay by me.  Depending on the material, a "haunting" female vocal might be the perfect choice.

Suffice it to say, though, I desperately hope the version of "Last Song" with Brian's lead vocal sees an official release, too.

However Brian is envisioning it, I welcome this new album with open arms.  But that said, as much as these guest turns may result in wonderful performances, as much as I'm open to hearing and experiencing whatever it is which has Brian so excited about these collaborations, I won't sit here and deny that I want to hear Brian Wilson (and/or other Beach Boys) sing on his material, too, if it is at all possible.

This is especially true if, as has been reported here, some of this material is essentially what was earmarked in Brian's mind as the Beach Boys follow-up to TWGMTR.

If anyone in Brian's camp is reading this (and I don't know, maybe someone is), please consider my post as a vote for releasing the Brian-sung lead vocal versions, too.

Whether as bonus tracks, B-Sides, exclusive downloads -- however you care to do it -- please make it happen!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1014 on: July 18, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »

And Zooey, who is known more as She & Him, but since Him is onboard, they can tag it as She & Him.

Not sure where you pulled that out of, but the 'Him' is M.Ward, who is quite an accomplished musician in his own right and a pretty cool guy to boot.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 18, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »

And Zooey, who is known more as She & Him, but since Him is onboard, they can tag it as She & Him.

Not sure where you pulled that out of, but the 'Him' is M.Ward, who is quite an accomplished musician in his own right and a pretty cool guy to boot.

I didn't mean that in a negative way, actually. That's why I mentioned "Him" as being "onboard," since he's in the photo, it can be considered a She & Him track, not just a Zooey D. track.  They've both sold more under that name, I'm sure, than either has under their own name, and would get more search hits under that name. I do like some of M's solo work, such as "Chinese Translation" (which has quite a few views on YouTube). 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 18, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »

I imagine Brian's camp wouldn't be too enthused if you started to say bad things about the project.
I'm not insinuating that you're lying to us, I'm just making a point that there could be consequences for saying negative things.
Sloop John
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 18, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »

"I was writing for the Boys, so I thought, 'What am I gonna do without them?'" Um, the same thing you've been doing for the last 25 years? Sorry to spring this on you Brian, but Dennis died over 30 years ago and hadn't sung on a Beach Boys' album for 5 years prior to that. Carl sadly passed away 16 years ago. David Marks is available and you already got Al and Matt Jardine. I guess that leaves Bruce and Mike. Bruce is the one who had zero lead vocals on That's Why God Made The Radio with the exception of a few lines. I guess that leaves your cousin Mike. But not having him hasn't stopped you from releasing live albums of Beach Boys' songs, cover albums that resemble Beach Boys' albums, studio albums that sound more like Beach Boys' albums than solo albums, and numerous re-recordings of old Beach Boys' songs. If you're talking about the harmonies, may I remind you of your pronouncements that YOUR BAND was better than The Beach Boys, and that you had no desire to work with The Beach Boys again. Now I can hear the whining posters saying, "But he changed his mind. He changed his mind...". Yeah, right.

"He invited some of his favorite young singers to Ocean Way Studios in Hollywood, including Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves, and Zooey Deschanel. Frank Ocean rapped on "Special Love"....a track with Nate Ruess from fun was more successful" Brian invited them? His favorite singers? Frank Ocean rapped? What a croc. It insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry.

Chill out Mike Love fan boy!  The examples you cite merely confirm Brian's central importance to The Beach Boys.  What's a croc is people like you and the other Love circle jerkers here who are trying to preemptively discredit this album because it's likely to make an impact---along with the film---and do even FURTHER damage to already discredited reputation of your idol, Mike Love.  I guess a better offense is better than defense except there IS no offense from the Mike Love side.  Mike Love milks the Beach Boys legacy as he trudges across the state fair circuit giving free tix away to fair goers.  The only reason the legacy isn't more in shambles is because Brian returned and wrote and produced a final Beach Boys album so the fans could erase the stink of Summer in Paradise.  Now go and defend Mike Love's multiple law suits against the bandmembers, his 8 wives, and his masterminding of 9/11
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 18, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »

I imagine Brian's camp wouldn't be too enthused if you started to say bad things about the project.
I'm not insinuating that you're lying to us, I'm just making a point that there could be consequences for saying negative things.

I am not an apologist.  If I thought it was lousy I would say nothing about it , much less on a public forum.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 18, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »

The only impact Brian's album is likely to make is to further stir up the pathetic Beach Boy "fan" camps.

Anything Beach Boys/Brian related (when it comes down to it) other than the hits is strictly hardcore-fans-only territory (yes, I know about all the Grammys and how many units TWGMTR sold, but I mean AN IMPACT)

And why would it ever be wrong to be a Mike Love fanboy? ..... No one's ever stepped up to the plate and answered that question without resorting to insults...... But when a "Mike Love fanboy" merely questions anything Brian's people do!!!!!! Shite hits the fan.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:15:15 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: July 18, 2014, 07:41:03 PM »

"I was writing for the Boys, so I thought, 'What am I gonna do without them?'" Um, the same thing you've been doing for the last 25 years? Sorry to spring this on you Brian, but Dennis died over 30 years ago and hadn't sung on a Beach Boys' album for 5 years prior to that. Carl sadly passed away 16 years ago. David Marks is available and you already got Al and Matt Jardine. I guess that leaves Bruce and Mike. Bruce is the one who had zero lead vocals on That's Why God Made The Radio with the exception of a few lines. I guess that leaves your cousin Mike. But not having him hasn't stopped you from releasing live albums of Beach Boys' songs, cover albums that resemble Beach Boys' albums, studio albums that sound more like Beach Boys' albums than solo albums, and numerous re-recordings of old Beach Boys' songs. If you're talking about the harmonies, may I remind you of your pronouncements that YOUR BAND was better than The Beach Boys, and that you had no desire to work with The Beach Boys again. Now I can hear the whining posters saying, "But he changed his mind. He changed his mind...". Yeah, right.

"He invited some of his favorite young singers to Ocean Way Studios in Hollywood, including Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves, and Zooey Deschanel. Frank Ocean rapped on "Special Love"....a track with Nate Ruess from fun was more successful" Brian invited them? His favorite singers? Frank Ocean rapped? What a croc. It insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry.

Chill out Mike Love fan boy!  The examples you cite merely confirm Brian's central importance to The Beach Boys.  What's a croc is people like you and the other Love circle jerkers here who are trying to preemptively discredit this album because it's likely to make an impact---along with the film---and do even FURTHER damage to already discredited reputation of your idol, Mike Love.  I guess a better offense is better than defense except there IS no offense from the Mike Love side.  Mike Love milks the Beach Boys legacy as he trudges across the state fair circuit giving free tix away to fair goers.  The only reason the legacy isn't more in shambles is because Brian returned and wrote and produced a final Beach Boys album so the fans could erase the stink of Summer in Paradise.  Now go and defend Mike Love's multiple law suits against the bandmembers, his 8 wives, and his masterminding of 9/11
As someone who lost a friend due to 9/11 im going to ask you very nicely to think before you post something like that again. Not amusing in the slightest. Hell of a first post...welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:52:54 PM by Starscream » Logged

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »

... Apparently not.

Well I think that is the way to approach it ; roll with it and see what happens; I think you have captured the essence of it.  See if there is stuff there that hits you.  I have heard the whole thing , and can only give you my opinion. I think that for the core fan base there are 7-8 tracks that I would consider "no brainers" ; "Sail Away" kind of reminds me of "Sloop John B" ; lead vocal's by Brian, Al and Blondie , swapping off ; background vocals are great; there are two tracks with rotating lead vocals of Brian and Al which I think are great. There is a ballad sung by Brian that , in my opinion , can be placed with anything he has done (except "SMiLE) ; one track has a jazz feel , with great harmonies; the remake of "Summer Means New Love' is one of my favorites; I always loved the melody of that track;  Brian decided he wanted to sing it so now its a vocal piece , with lead by Brian , and Brian and Al in the chorus; I had read somewhere on the board that this sounded like it could be a "vapid remake " or some such description.....wrong. There is a track that would fit right in with the three part suite that ends TWGMTR, but is definitely not part of it....then there is "Last Song" ...two versions are cut ; one with lead vocal by Lana Del Ray and one with lead vocal by Brian....I find them both essential, and hope the Brian lead sees daylight.   The guest artists ; well I am sure that there will be controversy here ; I love "On the Island" and I was prepared to really dislike the Kacey Musgraves track , simply because I am not big on country.  The track itself reminds me of " I got Plenty Of Nothin" from BWRG; and I really like the song, and her performance. "Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd." is a gas. There are a few more, and I like each and every one of them. The songs are great on this record ; my opinion , and so are all the performances, both lead and background vocals.  What I can tell, by what I heard, is that there are a few backgrounds that are Brian stacked; the rest are Brian, Al, Matt and Jeff Foskett; I believe. .....so there is a very different sound to this record, than any other Brian solo record. There are four legitimate Beach Boys on this record;  Brian , Al, David and Blondie; I think they all sound great, and that is good enough for me.  But if none of that is "your thing "(not you personally, figure of speech) , and the guest artist participation offends your sensibilities, what can I say other than don't buy the goshdarn record !
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 18, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »

... Apparently not.

Well I think that is the way to approach it ; roll with it and see what happens; I think you have captured the essence of it.  See if there is stuff there that hits you.  I have heard the whole thing , and can only give you my opinion. I think that for the core fan base there are 7-8 tracks that I would consider "no brainers" ; "Sail Away" kind of reminds me of "Sloop John B" ; lead vocal's by Brian, Al and Blondie , swapping off ; background vocals are great; there are two tracks with rotating lead vocals of Brian and Al which I think are great. There is a ballad sung by Brian that , in my opinion , can be placed with anything he has done (except "SMiLE) ; one track has a jazz feel , with great harmonies; the remake of "Summer Means New Love' is one of my favorites; I always loved the melody of that track;  Brian decided he wanted to sing it so now its a vocal piece , with lead by Brian , and Brian and Al in the chorus; I had read somewhere on the board that this sounded like it could be a "vapid remake " or some such description.....wrong. There is a track that would fit right in with the three part suite that ends TWGMTR, but is definitely not part of it....then there is "Last Song" ...two versions are cut ; one with lead vocal by Lana Del Ray and one with lead vocal by Brian....I find them both essential, and hope the Brian lead sees daylight.   The guest artists ; well I am sure that there will be controversy here ; I love "On the Island" and I was prepared to really dislike the Kacey Musgraves track , simply because I am not big on country.  The track itself reminds me of " I got Plenty Of Nothin" from BWRG; and I really like the song, and her performance. "Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd." is a gas. There are a few more, and I like each and every one of them. The songs are great on this record ; my opinion , and so are all the performances, both lead and background vocals.  What I can tell, by what I heard, is that there are a few backgrounds that are Brian stacked; the rest are Brian, Al, Matt and Jeff Foskett; I believe. .....so there is a very different sound to this record, than any other Brian solo record. There are four legitimate Beach Boys on this record;  Brian , Al, David and Blondie; I think they all sound great, and that is good enough for me.  But if none of that is "your thing "(not you personally, figure of speech) , and the guest artist participation offends your sensibilities, what can I say other than don't buy the goshdarn record !

I didn't say 'goshdarn " record....I got censored !!!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 18, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »

... Apparently not.

I didn't say 'goshdarn " record....I got censored !!!
Evil

Thanks for clearing all that up, Ray. Very interested to hear a vocal SMNL.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 18, 2014, 08:14:06 PM »

They should probably release a first single soon to capitalise on the press this news is getting.

Releasing a single a few months before an album release is fairly typical

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:15:06 PM by Surfin' S.H.A.D.Y » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx