gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:37:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564866 times)
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:55 AM »

Chill out people. Go take a nap.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »

like "Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim" , one of my favorite records of all time.

YES! Times 100. I love that album. Those chords, the voices, the arrangements...I think Sinatra was quoted as saying that was the quietest and softest he ever sang on a record, and he nailed it. The follow-up Jobim-Sinatra is good, but nowhere near that first one. Beautiful record, beautiful songs.

I don't know how many people haven't heard it, but if there are some, *run* out to buy it...or, er, download it I mean, or whatever.  Grin

I'd also like to see Brian do more Bossa Nova, apart from what he's already done since the 60's and this new one. Maybe even mix some of the Jobim standards with some new originals, I'd like to hear what he'd do with a full album in that style.

Jobim says when Sinatra gave him a call (in Rio de Janeiro) to make an album together he thought it was a prank call.  Smiley

"Francis albert sinatra and antonio carlos jobim" is a really great album, very respected also in Brasil. The next one ('Sinatra Jobim', which became half of  'And Company') isn't as magical, though it has great arrengements by Eumir Deodato of Also Sprach Zarathrusta and Kool & the Gang fame. Back then in the 60s this guy had a golden hand (listen to 'Inutil Paisagem', 1964).

Great information, thanks for posting! Can you imagine getting a call and someone says "Hey, this is Frank Sinatra, let's cut a record together! " in the 1960's?   Grin

I want to add a bit of a connection to Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys that's pretty slim, but still interesting in terms of musicians involved in the original Bossa Nova popularity and Jobim.

Another favorite jazz album of mine is by Julie London from 1955, called "Julie Is Her Name", produced by Bobby Troup. Julie also did a follow-up in '58. The key feature os this album that was sort of a revolutionary thing at the time for jazz was Julie only had a guitar and bass backing her vocals. No piano, no drums. All of the "space" including percussion sounds had to be filled by guitar and bass. "Cry Me A River" was the big hit from that album. I always liked Julie's version the best.

I've read that among Jobim's musician friends, that first "Julie Is Her Name" album caused a near earthquake musically in that circle of musicians. They were blown away by the way the guitar was voicing chords like a piano, ditching the traditional way a guitarist would back a vocalist, and also adding that hint of rhythm to make up for the drums. Jobim and his fellow guitarists would study and learn those guitar parts and chord voicings and trade notes and ideas with each other on how those sounds were created for Julie's album.

I might be wrong, but I think I read Jobim himself or maybe one of his friends said that the Julie London record and the guitar style on the album was a major influence (if not the major influence on the chords and the Bossa guitar style in general) on how Jobim played and wrote the Bossa Nova classics he became known for. You hear Jobim's guitar style, and the voicings, and you can hear the connection.

What do the Beach Boys' records have to do with this, what's the connection with the musicians? The guitarist on the first Julie London album who so profoundly influenced Jobim was Barney Kessel. The guitarist on the second one was Howard Roberts.  Wink

The Julie London albums were hits in Brasil, for sure. Chet Baker wasn't, but he was a vocal reference between musicians 'in the know'. When you think about bossa nova, think about Tom Jobim (the composer) but also João Gilberto (the guitar player and singer). You gotta have both to get what a revolution it was in 1958 to have 'Chega de Saudade' in the nearest radio.

Thank you again for adding to the discussion! Chet Baker, you can trace that very soft, quiet vocal delivery to some of his vocal records. Julie London's albums have some of that quiet style in her vocals too, but not to the level of Chet. He's all but whispering on some of those tunes. You can't really "belt" a Bossa Nova vocal and have it ring true, you know?

Things evolved after 1962. But yeah, inside Brazilian culture, if you had that groove in the acoustic guitar (or piano) and a whispered vocal, it was bossa nova. You change it, it's 'popular music'. But it's semanthics.

I will say, for 1968 and considering it was on a Beach Boys album, Brian's "Busy Doin' Nothing" is a pretty authentic sounding Bossa, although the lyrics aren't quite what Jobim probably would have done!

Except that, for authencity, the acoustic guitar would be plucked, and not strummed.  Smiley

But seriously, if you threw it in a 60s Brazilian album with lyrics in Portuguese no one would raise a eyebrow. Except, slightly, for the strumming.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 15, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »

2. Zooey is an actress, and a singer

And a songwriter.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »

Zooey's qualifications:

That looks like a music career to me.

True, but there will always be that nagging possibility/idea that she was only handed a musical career because she was a known quantity as an actress. Much like several TV or movie stars who decided they wanted to become recording artists..... She's certainly not any better than singers with similar voices who weren't gifted that route

She was pursuing a music career before she was an actress.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 15, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »

True, but there will always be that nagging possibility/idea that she was only handed a musical career because she was a known quantity as an actress.

True, but I bought her music before I found out she was an actress or realized she is hot.  Love that voice!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: July 15, 2014, 08:43:19 AM »

Brian didn't even know who Zooey was in 1994. 

Are you sure you want to stand by that, Ron? Seriously?  Grin

I'll assume you made a typo on the date because in 1994, Zooey was 14 years old, and her first recognizable acting role was playing what amounts to a bit part in "Almost Famous". She only became a recognized name in 2002-03.

If you really meant 1994, then I wouldn't expect Brian Wilson or anyone else outside her friends and family to know a girl in 8th or 9th grade whose acting breaks wouldn't come until the next decade.

And no matter what the date, what does it have to do with the song in 2014?
I think you misread that.

Anyway, I'm not bothered by Deschanel's voice at all. She has the charm and charisma to win me over in a performance. Brian's voice obviously isn't in flawless condition these days, so if people are able to stand that I don't see why they wouldn't be able to stand Deschanel's.

Okay, I'll play along: What or how did I misread this:  "Brian didn't even know who Zooey was in 1994."

Is there a reference in an earlier post I missed that Ron was commenting on?

1. Brian Wilson is a famous songwriter
3. Brian Wilson hasn't written a song since 1994
4. Brian wrote Island
5. Since Brian didn't know Zooey in 1994, he couldn't have written Island with her in mind.

Now, if you take issue with any of that... maybe you should calm the f*** down and realize maybe it was a joke.  It was also much more funny before you got offended and made me explain it.

The only serious part of the original post was the final sentence. The rest is sarcasm. That's why I put the smile-face icon thing next to it. If you didn't pick up on that, I guess that's as much your fault as it was mine for not getting your connection to Brian in 1994.

Ron, are you sure Brian hasn't written a song since 1994? Are you talking specifics as in music-lyrics, or just saying he hasn't written a song period, or is it clarifying his collaborations versus anything he wrote by himself?

Maybe you should clarify these things before making blanket statements like "Brian hasn't written a song since 1994"? You should also lay off statements like "calm the f*** down" unless you want to turn a conversation with humore into a pissing match with anger. Just a friendly suggestion.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »

Anyone who seriously believes that Brian hasn't written a song since 1994 should have his or her head examined. My guess is that Ron -- who certainly knows better -- was just making a joke.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »

And a songwriter.

And a Grammy-nominated songwriter too. See the previous page for more details on that.  Smiley

I think we can pretty much slam the door shut on the bizarre suggestion that Zooey is somehow less than a "real" musician, or somehow is reaping the benefits of something she didn't earn or work for or have the talent to succeed in doing. Things like recording albums, performing, touring, writing songs, being nominated for awards for those songs...all of that stuff "real" musicians aspire to.

Liking or disliking her music is one thing...trying to discredit her qualifications or "cred" as a musician is approaching batshit crazy levels at this point considering the info that's been posted here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: July 15, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »

Anyone who seriously believes that Brian hasn't written a song since 1994 should have his or her head examined. My guess is that Ron -- who certainly knows better -- was just making a joke.

Thanks for adding this...I'm sorry, but I don't see what the joke is in that context.

Seriously. Brian hasn't written a song since 1994...that's a real knee-slapper, isn't it?  Cheesy

Sarcasm.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 15, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »

Hey, Jessie and the Rippers were a great act as well. M&B should go by that name instead of the BBs if they want to keep pimping Stamos around.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: July 15, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »

Hey, Jessie and the Rippers were a great act as well. M&B should go by that name instead of the BBs if they want to keep pimping Stamos around.

They did reunite on Jimmy Fallon's show and the audience loved it.  Grin

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 15, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »

And a songwriter.

And a Grammy-nominated songwriter too. See the previous page for more details on that.  Smiley

I think we can pretty much slam the door shut on the bizarre suggestion that Zooey is somehow less than a "real" musician, or somehow is reaping the benefits of something she didn't earn or work for or have the talent to succeed in doing. Things like recording albums, performing, touring, writing songs, being nominated for awards for those songs...all of that stuff "real" musicians aspire to.

Liking or disliking her music is one thing...trying to discredit her qualifications or "cred" as a musician is approaching batshit crazy levels at this point considering the info that's been posted here.

I, for one, was not trying to discredit Zooey as you describe. I was merely explaining something that people tend to do. There's a difference between talking about something and doing something.... It ain't rocket science or even algebra.

And does anyone really care about The Grammies? I mean, what decade were they last relevant.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 15, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »

In the rolling stone article in mentions a fall release. That's exciting!

It mentions Zooey, Frank Ocean, Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves, Jeff Beck, Nate Reuss from Fun and Don Was all makes appearances.

The last track apparently titled "Last Song" is said to be his last song which Lana Del Rey sings on.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:12:39 PM by chrs_mrgn » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 15, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »

The last track apparently titled "Last Song" is said to be his last song which Lana Del Rey sings on.

Thanks for the info! Could you elaborate more on this^ a bit? Does that it mean it's his last song ever? Or just the last song he recorded?

Nate Reuss from Fun

This is especially promising to me! I'm not really a big fan of Fun, but that guy has a great voice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:28:50 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 15, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »

Thanks for the info! Could you elaborate more on this^ a bit? Does that it mean it's his last song ever? Or just the last song he recorded?

Well, this came out of the ESQ interview with Joe Thomas:
The one thing that I’ve noticed with Brian on this record, the theme is definitely his place in life right now. With this record, nobody knows what to expect, and that’s a really cool place for Brian to be, because I think Brian feels that he can make any kind of record that he wants. “Last Song” was (always) supposed to be the last song, but we’re trying to be a little sneaky twist on it now, so maybe now it isn’t the “Last Song.” There’s an optimism in Brian’s music right now that is really making me happy.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 15, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

Ahhh, thanks Judd. I forgot about that ESQ piece. Makes sense now.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »

Well I read it at a friends house so I don't have it with me but it said there was two versions of the "Last Song"

One with Lana and one with Brian. It didn't give much info except that it's a ballad and that it is about his Beach Boys dissolution. Don Was was quoted saying something about how if it is truly his last song it would be an amazing coda.

It also talked about some track names: Summer Means New Love which is a remake of a 1965 beach boys instrumental. "On The Island" which was on his instagram. as well as "Danny Boy" and "Special Love' with Frank Ocean. Kacey Musgraves sings on a track called "Guess You Had To Be There". But I guess none of the tracks are final and could be cut from the final album.

Brian mentioned how the guy from Fun reminds him of Carl.

Someone else is quoted saying that the entire album is on the same level as Summer's Gone.

I would recommend picking up the July issue of rolling stone with Lana Del Rey on the cover to read the whole thing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 15, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »

Will do! And thanks for elaborating.

A remake of Summer Means New Love?? Hell yes. I wonder if we'll ever hear Metropolis? Even if some of these don't make the cut, I hope they'll be available via Amazon or iTunes as extras.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: July 15, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »

I kinda doubt we'll hear any of the Beck collaborations, unless they've been re-recorded. As for the remakes, those on the 1998 album were... insipid.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 15, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »

I kinda doubt we'll hear any of the Beck collaborations, unless they've been re-recorded.

Except that the new Rolling Stone article says he's one of the guests. So ...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 15, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

As for the remakes, those on the 1998 album were... insipid.

Agreed - however TWGMTR (album) has given me hope that Joe has mostly ditched that vapid sounding studio production.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 15, 2014, 04:04:24 PM »

How much advanced publicity can Rolling Stone give this album? They just did a blurb about the guest vocalists about a month ago. They also said the past that Brian had three albums worth of material and made is sound like it was all recorded, and that was over a year ago. I had read that the album was completely finished weeks ago, it just needed mixing and mastering, yet Brian went back to do yet more recording recently. Who knows what it will wind up being. That's an awfully diverse list of guest artists.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 15, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »

No Foskett vocals, what a treasure this album is going to be  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »

Rolling Stone ... also said the past that Brian had three albums worth of material and made is sound like it was all recorded, and that was over a year ago.

I never took that story to actually mean they had three albums worth of material, or that three albums were forthcoming, but rather that there was a lot of material that could be categorized into three distinct styles.

[T]he record that Wilson started working on with longtime collaborator Joe Thomas almost immediately after wrapping up the Beach Boys' 50th-anniversary tour last fall has morphed into what could be three records: an album of new pop songs, recorded with his touring band and Beach Boys Al Jardine and David Marks (both of whom will also join Wilson at solo shows this Summer); a set of mostly instrumental new songs with an unlikely collaborator, British guitar legend Jeff Beck (who may also appear on the Wilson solo album); and a complex, melancholy group of interwoven tracks he calls "the suite," created in the modular style of SMiLE, and dealing with loss, vulnerability and hope as Wilson approaches the final chapter of his career. ... Over a lunch of takeout chicken tacos, Wilson plays back a dozen unfinished songs, including an unnamed Motown-like organ jam; the lush pop tracks "Right Time" (featuring a superb Jardine vocal) and "Guess You Had To Be There," which recounts wild nights in the 1960s at the L.A. club the Troubador; and a heavy jam with Beck called "Metropolis" that sounds like prof surf music.

The most exciting track features Beck picking a 12-string electric guitar over a haunting "ooh-na-na" vocal line from Jardine, bathed in layers of Wilson's vocal harmonies. It may be the spookiest song he's ever recorded.
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/2013/6/20/brian-wilson-rocks-with-jeff-beck-plans-new-lps

It's clear that music is unfinished at that point. It could optimistically be taken to mean there are three albums, but I don't think that's the only, or even the most reasonable, reading of the full piece. Yes, it's optimistic (as one might expect from the guy writing Brian's autobiography), but that's the case with pretty much every Brian-album leak. Read the Paley sessions work, and there is talk of it being as good as anything he's ever done, great album(s) coming soon! Some of that is just the way it is...

The article itself says Brian has a lot of songs, that there are three types (yes, that the writer says could end up three albums), and that there are at least a dozen unfinished songs he hears. The item after the Oxford comma probably should take precedence.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 15, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

No Foskett vocals, what a treasure this album is going to be  Grin

Does Foskett now have no contact with Brian? I hadn't thought about this, but I guess that's the case.
I like Matt's singing. I hope his involvement works out well for the album (TWGMTR did not for Foskett...)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx