gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681326 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 11:56:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 573326 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 11, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »

As for "Daybreak" -- important to note that it's a rewrite of the traditional "My Bonnie." As, indeed, "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" was.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »

A clip from Brian's song with Zooey Deschanel:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152548010452241

Sounds great to me!

Busy Doin' Nothin' meets Kokomo (= Bill and Sue part 2?)
Actually its one of my favorite's of what I heard; it is more of a Rosemary Clooney / Brian Wilson /Antonio Carlos Jobim vibe......Has a bossa nova thing like Busy Doin' Nothin' but I didn't hear anything in there that reminded me of Bill and Sue , or Kokomo.  Totally different

In short: exactly how you'd expect a BW/JT song called "On an Island" to sound.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »

And there is where having someone like Zooey sing on it is a cool thing. She has the personality, the vibe, and the style to pull off a song like that convincingly...picture her wearing one of those 50's dresses she's fond of, and a flower in her hair, and that whole Tiki-retro-vintage vibe (replete with ukelele) and it's a song for her personality.

Honestly...the opposite of that, as in having, say, Brian sing one of those island-flavored cha-chas on previous solo projects is what didn't work as well for me. I heard a small handful of Zooey's notes, and the vibe felt better.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #728 on: July 11, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »

Ah, Bossa Nova - another unsung influence on our man
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »

Sounds great to me!

Actually its one of my favorite's of what I heard; it is more of a Rosemary Clooney / Brian Wilson /Antonio Carlos Jobim vibe......Has a bossa nova thing like Busy Doin' Nothin' but I didn't hear anything in there that reminded me of Bill and Sue , or Kokomo.  Totally different

Good to hear, Ray.

And I don't mind BW/JT co-writes ...
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 11, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »

And there is where having someone like Zooey sing on it is a cool thing. She has the personality, the vibe, and the style to pull off a song like that convincingly...picture her wearing one of those 50's dresses she's fond of, and a flower in her hair, and that whole Tiki-retro-vintage vibe (replete with ukelele) and it's a song for her personality.

Honestly...the opposite of that, as in having, say, Brian sing one of those island-flavored cha-chas on previous solo projects is what didn't work as well for me. I heard a small handful of Zooey's notes, and the vibe felt better.

I agree ; the vibe on this really fits her voice great ; and I love the song, arrangement , vocals....and production !
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

Really looking forward to this album. I like songs with a bit of an Island vibe. A smooth Brazilian style melody with those beautiful Brian arrangements and vocals will be a treat.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 11, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »

For once, instead of immediately hating a song based on a ten second clip, I rather like this. I don't hear faux-tropical Jimmy Buffett, I hear authentic sounding bossa nova. Like everyone else, apparently, I immediately got a "Friends" vibe.

Man, can Brian sing loudly... But the question remains: DID THEY AUTOTUNE THE IPHONE RECORDING!!!?!?!!!

Evil
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »

Sounds great to me!

Good to hear, Ray.

And I don't mind BW/JT co-writes ...

I am not sure  who wrote the lyrics , but I like them ......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »

I don't hear faux-tropical Jimmy Buffett, I hear authentic sounding bossa nova.

I'd be content living out the rest of my years not hearing another new faux-tropical Jimmy Buffet kind of record. I'm open to all kinds of music, I don't often call out something I'm not into in public, but that tropical/yacht/parrot/retired-pirate-with-docksider-shoes kind of scene really bugs the sh*t out of me... Smiley

Sorry if that offends anyone.  Grin  I haven't eaten lunch yet, I'm grumpy: Maybe I'll head to the grocery store and buy a frozen package of "Margaritaville" brand coconut shrimp and wash it down with a Landshark beer.  LOL 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2014, 11:01:12 AM »

For once, instead of immediately hating a song based on a ten second clip, I rather like this. I don't hear faux-tropical Jimmy Buffett, I hear authentic sounding bossa nova. Like everyone else, apparently, I immediately got a "Friends" vibe.

Man, can Brian sing loudly... But the question remains: DID THEY AUTOTUNE THE IPHONE RECORDING!!!?!?!!!

Evil

Definitely no faux-trop on this track.  to your question which I assume is a joke....NO
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »

It sounds like something from "Imagination." I'm also not a fan of Zooey's singing. Though I will say she makes Brian sounds great by comparison.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »

Impossible to judge anything from a nine second clip. May be the best part of the whole album, may be be the worst: until it's released or leaks, we can't say.

On a purely personal note, and you can hate me now, I find the likes of Tiki and Eden Ahbez a complete and utter anathema. Frankly, it bores me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:29:49 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2014, 11:30:23 AM »

Evil
well it sounds like the autotune is on an earlier track that he is dubbing his voice over..
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »

It sounds like something from "Imagination." I'm also not a fan of Zooey's singing. Though I will say she makes Brian sounds great by comparison.
when you actually hear the track it sounds like nothing on Imagination....
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »

Impossible to judge anything from a nine second clip. May be the best part of the whole album, may be be the worst: until it's released or leaks, we can't say.

On a purely personal note, and you can hate me now, I find the likes of Tiki and Eden Ahbez a complete and utter anathema. Frankly, it bores me.

A good statement on Eden Ahbez can be found in the look on Brian's face when they took that photo at Western. I also never quite agreed with some writers trying to make a connection there...basically Ahbez's thing was "Nature Boy", and Nat King Cole sold that sucker as much as the song itself, no matter who wrote it. So that's one part of the equation I never bought into, and his vibe is separate from the Exotica-retro thing.

Tiki does have a big following, though, not getting into the qualities of the music. It's like a cottage industry that gets into fashion, design, food, all of that. But there are only so many Arthur Lyman albums you can listen to in a session before it does get blurry... Grin

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »

those 10 seconds are nice but there's no way to know if it's a great tune or if it sounds like a soda jingle. Bring more!

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »

Brian just posted a little clip of him recording vocals for "On the Island" on his Instagram. Sounds pretty awesome to my ears!!!!

Hmm, if this song is called 'On the Island', then maybe the concept is that it is ... 'Pleasure Island'!  Evil
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »

well it sounds like the autotune is on an earlier track that he is dubbing his voice over..

If that's meant as sarcasm, put one of these in the post:   Wink   Evil   LOL

If that's for real, I have to ask how can you possibly hear clearly enough that kind of sonic detail via a cel phone recording of a rough cue mix being played over studio monitors? 

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »

Soooooooooo it's ok for a cheeseball sitcom actress to sing on a Brian Wilson album but it's not ok for a cheesy sitcom actor to sing/play with The Beach Boys? Wink

OK, I'm running for the hills......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »

Brian just posted a little clip of him recording vocals for "On the Island" on his Instagram. Sounds pretty awesome to my ears!!!!

Hmm, if this song is called 'On the Island', then maybe the concept is that it is ... 'Pleasure Island'!  Evil

Well there is that interview Zooey did with Brian where he blurts out "you're real pretty" at the end Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: July 11, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »

Be careful when you're running through those California hills, or you might trip on a mound of dirt that hides several thousand unsold/returned cases of Summer In Paradise CD's...I think they were buried there by some hapless rack-jobber who tried to hard-sell the album to his area's big retail buyers as a "can't miss", then had to make a similar run for the hills when it stiffed and they came callin' ...  Smiley

I honestly don't care what Stamos does or doesn't do with the Beach Boys at this point. The tipping point was already reached by the early 2000's that had nothing to do with live concerts.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »

Be careful when you're running through those California hills, or you might trip on a mound of dirt that hides several thousand unsold/returned cases of Summer In Paradise CD's...I think they were buried there by some hapless rack-jobber who tried to hard-sell the album to his area's big retail buyers as a "can't miss", then had to make a similar run for the hills when it stiffed and they came callin' ...  Smiley

I honestly don't care what Stamos does or doesn't do with the Beach Boys at this point. The tipping point was already reached by the early 2000's that had nothing to do with live concerts.

Might there be a Japanese vinyl copy or two among those CDs??

I was just being an ass. The track, and Zooey, sound great to my ears?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 11, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »

What a mixture of oil and water, like Tom Waits cutting a lounge track with <popular contemporary female singer>. That lightweight, "adult contemporary" Steely Dan guitar is killing me. But at least there was no autotune... Was there?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

[sigh] AutoTune - when used - is applied post recording, not in real time (which would be impossible, actually)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx