gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681321 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 10:15:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 573281 times)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 20, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »

That is utter nonsense. Did either of you even read the article?

Here, let me refresh your memory. Sail Away is an entirely new song. Thomas says a couple of others come from the late 90s.

This new material is not a reprise to [TWGMTR] at all; it’s taking it further. We played this song for Capitol Records and they were very pleasantly surprised. “Sail Away” is a brand new song, but there a couple of tracks from songs that we wrote back in the late 1990’s.

The problem isn't that you didn't read the article, which is fine I suppose -- it's odd to link to something you didn't look at, but whatever -- it's that you perpetuate untruths.

So the Joe Thomas quotes aren't the same ones that appeared in ESQ?

Cos here's what the author of both pieces says in the Examiner piece:

Thomas spoke with me about the song “Sail Away” in the Spring 2014 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly (published in March). Here is an excerpt from that conversation.

Recycled

Not having read the ESQ article and without any reference to it, I also thought the comments were about the album content.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 21, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »

That is utter nonsense. Did either of you even read the article?

Here, let me refresh your memory. Sail Away is an entirely new song. Thomas says a couple of others come from the late 90s.

This new material is not a reprise to [TWGMTR] at all; it’s taking it further. We played this song for Capitol Records and they were very pleasantly surprised. “Sail Away” is a brand new song, but there a couple of tracks from songs that we wrote back in the late 1990’s.

The problem isn't that you didn't read the article, which is fine I suppose -- it's odd to link to something you didn't look at, but whatever -- it's that you perpetuate untruths.

So the Joe Thomas quotes aren't the same ones that appeared in ESQ?

Cos here's what the author of both pieces says in the Examiner piece:

Thomas spoke with me about the song “Sail Away” in the Spring 2014 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly (published in March). Here is an excerpt from that conversation.

Recycled

Not having read the ESQ article and without any reference to it, I also thought the comments were about the album content.

Thank you. It was an easy assumption to make, given some of the previous messages in this thread.

But it was an assumption, nonetheless, which seems to be incorrect. My apologies to those involved.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 22, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

I actually like Joe Thomas, seems like a great guy.  Glad to see he thinks Brian's on another level right now, we'll see when the album comes out!

well its not as if Joe is gonna come out and say, 'well what were workin on now is crap and its not like the early Brian, but what we have is salvageable'....

Roll Eyes

like yourself, I hope the stars align for this album, and it's earth shattering........

but I am on the fence until it comes out...........  Brian always seems to come back with a few extra punches from time to time..

RickB
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 22, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »

He's been on a very good run since smile, every album has been at least good

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »

I agree.  I think Brian's been releasing some fine work, pretty consistently, for a decade, now.  I'd be surprised if the new material is anything but quality BW material, the likes of which we've grown accustomed to over that span.

The one thing which still piques my interest more than anything else is whether or not the new album will feature any more of the 'Life Suite' material.  Though I'd definitely prefer all of the Beach Boys continue to lend their voices to those pieces, I'm still very, very interested in seeing that work completed, even if it has to be without contributions from Mike or Bruce.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 24, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »

well its not as if Joe is gonna come out and say, 'well what were workin on now is crap and its not like the early Brian, but what we have is salvageable'....

By comparing the new material to Wild Honey and Carl and the Passions, hasn't he essentially said just that?
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »

By comparing the new material to Wild Honey and Carl and the Passions, hasn't he essentially said just that?

Wild Honey? Carl and the Passions? Crap? Whoa.

Beyond the obvious (that those albums are far from crap), I think Joe's point was that this album has a harder edge than say, the final tracks of TWGMTR.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 24, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »

Pretty much, yeah.  At least to my ears.  Wild Honey is ok, but to be honest it's tough for me to listen to anything that comes after it.

Beyond the obvious (that those albums are far from crap), I think Joe's point was that this album has a harder edge than say, the final tracks of TWGMTR.

I hope you're right.  I hope he doesn't mean what I fear he means by that comparison, which is that earlier BB sound (which Brian's latest albums have embraced, IMO) will be largely abandoned, that harmony goes to the back burner, that the "voices as instruments" concept won't apply.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »

Pretty much, yeah.  At least to my ears.  Wild Honey is ok, but to be honest it's tough for me to listen to anything that comes after it.

I hope you're right.  I hope he doesn't mean what I fear he means by that comparison, which is that earlier BB sound (which Brian's latest albums have embraced, IMO) will be largely abandoned, that harmony goes to the back burner, that the "voices as instruments" concept won't apply.

I have a pretty hard time believing Brian is going to let "harmony go to the back burner." That's what he lives for!!!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 26, 2014, 05:39:36 AM »

"Close to finishing this record."

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 26, 2014, 05:45:26 AM »

"Close to silencing the speculation."

“We live in divisive times.”
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 26, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »

Rock!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 26, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »

Ron, its the same guy! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:40 PM »

Sure is great to see that. Can't wait to hear this new album!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »

Ron, its the same guy! Smiley

Can't be… one is wearing a red-striped T-shirt, the other a slightly more formal button-up collar shirt.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 27, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »

Seeing brian next week in concert, I wonder if he'll play a new song

I'll have my phone at the ready  Grin

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 27, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »

The question we're all wondering: why is he singing into a frying pan?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »

It's that Shane again… Shane Soloski, with Michelle Livings, according to Scott Bennett on Facebook.

Soloski:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/shane-soloski-mn0001620274/credits

Livings:
www.michellelivings.co.uk

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 08, 2014, 02:22:18 AM »

Brian looks a bit like the good side of Michelle's conscience.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 08, 2014, 07:44:31 AM »

Enough shane more release date

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 08, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »

GIOMH was awful.  The Xmas, Gershwin & Disney stuff doesn't count...all covers.  There has been no good run.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:03:15 AM by job » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

GIOMH was awful.  The Xmas, Gershwin & Disney stuff doesn't count...all covers.  There has been no good run.

Well I suppose they shouldn't count as albums of original material, but as a performer they certainly do count. The Gershwin and Disney albums feature some of Brian's best vocals since the early 70's and the production has been top notch.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »

What an absurd thing to say. First off, the Christmas album and Gershwin album include original songs. And Brian wrote and produced an entire album of original material in 2012, too, for his group. You know, the Beach Boys.

In terms of vocals, arrangements and overall listenability, Brian is indeed on a run that rivals his 60s output. Not in terms of sheer inspiration, of course, but in terms of sustained craft and musicality.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 08, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »

GIOMH was awful.  The Xmas, Gershwin & Disney stuff doesn't count...all covers.  There has been no good run.

What an absurd thing to say. First off, the Christmas album and Gershwin album include original songs. And Brian wrote and produced an entire album of original material in 2012, too, for his group. You know, the Beach Boys.

In terms of vocals, arrangements and overall listenability, Brian is indeed on a run that rivals his 60s output. Not in terms of sheer inspiration, of course, but in terms of sustained craft and musicality.

Well said. Me thinks not everyone here is a fan…

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx