gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 05:51:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 572158 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: June 14, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »

Whenever Brian is genuinely smiling (as opposed to being told to smile), he looks about 10 years younger.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 14, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »

Except that I've seen him fake (or at least "turn on") smiles that seem incredibly genuine, and then drop them immediately after the photo was taken. He's wilier (and smarter) in public than many give him credit for ...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »

Whenever Brian is genuinely smiling (as opposed to being told to smile), he looks about 10 years younger.

Yeah!  it's the same quirky smile he had when he was 20. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 14, 2014, 07:18:35 PM »

Such a great picture, he's still in there somewhere!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 14, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »

Who in the blue gravy hell is Conchita Wurst? Any relationship to Liver?

LOL  Liver and Knack are Conchita's older brothers, there is a younger sibling called Frickin.

Drag queen winner of Eurovision this year.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 14, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: June 14, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »

Except that I've seen him fake (or at least "turn on") smiles that seem incredibly genuine, and then drop them immediately after the photo was taken. He's wilier (and smarter) in public than many give him credit for ...

Always remember this - when it comes to being an ace manipulator, since the time he could walk Brian's had some of the best hands on, one on one teachers in the business.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #607 on: June 15, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:38:56 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #608 on: June 15, 2014, 03:29:09 AM »

This is certainly a much better picture than the previous one taken with Miss Musgraves.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »

Been listening to Lana Del Rey's new album since yesterday. I get why people dislike her and still there's something totally brilliant about some of the things she does, like "Brooklyn Baby" with its pretentious lyrics but irresistible overall atmosphere.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »

My beef with Lana, and this is why she got some really bad publicity to start her career, is that she really didn't pay her dues too much before getting the prime guest musical guest artist spot on Saturday Night Live,  which catapulted her to instant stardom. If only other struggling young musicians and singers would get such a big break before their first album is barely released. Of course, she wound up getting bad reviews for it, because she gave a bad performance on the show, but as they say, bad publicity is still publicity.  It worked for her. Along with the lies she told about living in a trailer park instead of her reality of nice big houses and New York City condos.

Listening to her music, whoever puts it together for her isn't too bad; I seriously doubt she has much to do with things like string arrangements. As a singer, she seems heavily influenced by Marianne Faithfull. Even the gown she wore for SNL reminded me of Marianne appearing in a long formal frock in the Rolling Stones' "Rock 'n' Roll Circus." I suppose there are worse musical influences.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 15, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »

I think he looks quite a bit older in these pics than he did even 2 years ago. Even the pics that weren't photoshopped.

He looked like a man in late  middle age during the TLOS era (albeit with gray hair). Now he looks genuinely geriatric...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:21:11 PM by Gabo » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 15, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »

I think he looks quite a bit older in these pics than he did even 2 years ago. Even the pics that weren't photoshopped.

He looked like a man in late  middle age during the TLOS era (albeit with gray hair). Now he looks genuinely geriatric...

TLOS was some time ago. Brian could look worse considering how hard his life has been at times. I know it's  a weird thing to notice, but in Brian's Memorial Day picture with his family, he's barefoot, and his lower legs, ankles, and feet look healthy. His ankles and feet aren't swollen and everything is a good color. If his legs and feet are healthy at 72, that's a good sign.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 15, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »

TLOS was some time ago. Brian could look worse considering how hard his life has been at times. I know it's  a weird thing to notice, but in Brian's Memorial Day picture with his family, he's barefoot, and his lower legs, ankles, and feet look healthy. His ankles and feet aren't swollen and everything is a good color. If his legs and feet are healthy at 72, that's a good sign.

The Memorial Day photo is old - they just reused it.  I wanna say at least 4 years old? (2 years old I guess:  http://www.brianwilson.com/news/2012/11/30/brian-featured-in-people-magazine) However, they just posted a new one:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:12:32 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »

Wow, excuse me while I fall in love with kacey

yeah, brian looks ok, I guess  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »

My beef with Lana, and this is why she got some really bad publicity to start her career, is that she really didn't pay her dues too much before getting the prime guest musical guest artist spot on Saturday Night Live,  which catapulted her to instant stardom. If only other struggling young musicians and singers would get such a big break before their first album is barely released. Of course, she wound up getting bad reviews for it, because she gave a bad performance on the show, but as they say, bad publicity is still publicity.  It worked for her. Along with the lies she told about living in a trailer park instead of her reality of nice big houses and New York City condos.

That's the way it's always been. Only a few make it really big. At least with social media and the increased popularity of independent music many more musicians than ever before can gain at least some degree of fame, even if only in the underground.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: June 16, 2014, 03:54:18 AM »

I don't mind Lana Del Rey, I just hope the track they did together isn't a re-recording of "Lana" from the SUSA album... Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 16, 2014, 05:02:17 AM »

That's the way it's always been. Only a few make it really big. At least with social media and the increased popularity of independent music many more musicians than ever before can gain at least some degree of fame, even if only in the underground.

The old Momus quote comes to mind, "In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen people".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: June 16, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »

I was reading through the new book "Turn Up The Radio" and found this quote, it's from Phil Spector talking about Brian. These are the lines which stood out and made me think of something posted in this thread, and though a source isn't specifically named for this quote, the Spector quotes in general are attributed to a 1969 KRLA radio program:

Phil Spector: "I remember when "Fun Fun Fun" came out. He (Brian) wasn't interested in the money, but a Top 10 record. He wanted to know how the song would do against the Beatles, and if KFWB would play it. But I never saw Brian as a competitor."

It reminded me of this quote from Ray:

Brian will be 72 in less than two weeks and is still in the studio working. Does he have an agenda ? Unequivocally yes. He wants to hear his songs on the radio; that's his internal barometer that gives him satisfaction.

Similar sentiments from 1964 to 2014, Brian wants to hear his songs on the radio.   Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 16, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »

Yeah I want to hear Brian on the radio too. Thats the first place I heared him.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: June 16, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »

I was reading through the new book "Turn Up The Radio" and found this quote, it's from Phil Spector talking about Brian. These are the lines which stood out and made me think of something posted in this thread, and though a source isn't specifically named for this quote, the Spector quotes in general are attributed to a 1969 KRLA radio program:

Phil Spector: "I remember when "Fun Fun Fun" came out. He (Brian) wasn't interested in the money, but a Top 10 record. He wanted to know how the song would do against the Beatles, and if KFWB would play it. But I never saw Brian as a competitor."

It reminded me of this quote from Ray:

Brian will be 72 in less than two weeks and is still in the studio working. Does he have an agenda ? Unequivocally yes. He wants to hear his songs on the radio; that's his internal barometer that gives him satisfaction.

Similar sentiments from 1964 to 2014, Brian wants to hear his songs on the radio.   Smiley

God, even when he's giving him a compliment (saying he doesn't care about money) Spector still comes off like a smug SOB. It's sad Brian's music doesnt get more airtime on the radio. I wish he didn't see that as the sign of success and public acceptance. The songs on the radio are mostly oldies or crap like the latest bland Miley Cyrus song. Brian has a lifetime of work he's left us. Each album is unique and experimental in its own way. I hope he recognizes that, and is proud for it. It's a more impressive achievement than just being featured on some trashy pop station.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: June 16, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

Yeah I want to hear Brian on the radio too. Thats the first place I heared him.  Wink

A hit record and radio airplay aren't even the same thing anymore, though. At least, when we're talking about albums. Brian could put out a #1 album that wins numerous Grammies and gets critics all on board, and still not get played on the radio. These aging fogey guys like McCartney sell albums and hit the album charts, not the singles charts. They get grammy nods based on good reviews and album sales.

Wasn't there an interview from the last few years where they asked Brian what *current* music he likes, and he named that 80's song "Take my Breath Away?"  LOL

Brian's probably too caught up in own thing at his age for anyone to explain how unrealistic radio airplay and hit singles are at this stage. I guess if it motivates him to continue to record and release music, then that's good enough for me.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 16, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »

It's like that Simon & Garfunkel Song, "The Boxer".

"In the clearing stands a boxer, a Fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders, of every glove that layed him down
and cut him till he cried out
in his anger and his shame
'I am Leaving! I am leaving!
but the fighter still remains"

He's saying that some people (maybe all people) are what they are, and will always be what they are.  He's painting the picture of this old boxer who even though he's got to the point where he can't go anymore, and he SWEARS he's done... he's still a Boxer whether he gets in the ring or not, it's his essence.

Brian's the same way.  When he was 18 he wanted to hear his songs on the radio; when he was 20 he did and he loved it... back when he was young and full of future.

So even though the music industry has changed and left what once was behind, Brian still wants what he's always wanted... and always will. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: June 16, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »

Also Brian has said these days  he mainly listens to satellite radio 'on my DirecTV' so he may be referring to that rather than traditional radio.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »

"Brian in the studio today at Ocean Way Recording in L.A."

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx