gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:32:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564847 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 13, 2014, 08:14:30 AM »

Been relistening to Nature is the Law by Richard Ashcroft, with BW's backing vox. Such collaborations with contemporary artists can work well… far better than the Macca & Elton stuff on GIOMH.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 13, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »

Musgraves herself posted this a couple of weeks ago on her own Twitter account. Brian's people are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.. Tongue
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 13, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »

First post in this monster thread, so a few thoughts:

– No matter what you think of Deschanel, Del Ray or Musgraves, I think working with attractive young women could be a good thing for Brian. We've had people "in the know" say Brian comes to life when there's a good-looking woman around, and photos, including those posted by fans, seem to bear that out, showing a smiling Brian and not the stone-faces Brian we sometimes see.

MAYBE working with these women (provided they're in the studio together and not doing their parts separately) gets Brian to work a little harder. Most men, even if they're married, want to look good in front of women, so maybe Brian decides he's not going to pull a GIOMH and only do a few vocal takes and go home. Maybe he's going to show them that he's still Brian Wilson, and go to take 23 if necessary to get the vocals right, and to run the production himself instead of leaving most of it to Joe.

– I thought the whole "Joey" instead of "Zooey" was more of a Brian slur than not knowing her name. Either way that was 6 years ago, so even if he thought she was "Joey" then, he might truly know her well now.

– Judging what Brian's thinking by what he says in an interview is a risky thing. He says a lot of contradictory, and sometimes downright odd, things. Even if saying the SMiLE tapes were destroyed was just a way to get out of answering the question if it would ever come out, does anyone think Brian's favorite movie is "Norbit"?

– Judging ANYTHING before you hear it is impossible. When the song titles for TWGMTR came out, a lot of people on this board singled out "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" as the song they couldn't wait to hear. There's nothing wrong with it, but I think it was a letdown to a lot of people.

– So what's the best thing to do? Wait until it comes out and follow the advice from "Don't Talk": "Listen, listen, listen." And THEN if it's no good, say it.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »

Right on brother.  There's a point to be made too... when you get to the point where everybody waits to hear your music, and doesn't discuss it before it comes out... you've lost your fans.  Fan is a contraction of FANATIC.  It takes somebody as big and important as Brian to have FANATICS that discuss (negatively or positively) every little smidgen of information that leaks out.  When the people stop talking you've lost your fanbase.

And then what?

A key part of fans' fanaticism is overestimating our own importance in the big scheme of things.  If every single one of us on this message board spontaneously combusted, the sales for the upcoming album wouldn't even blip.  You want see how much selling to the die-hards gets you?  GIOMH spent a week at #100.  "Lucky Old Sun" got to #21.  It sold to Brian Wilson's audience; GIOMH sold to his fanbase.

Artists sell records because a lot of people love them a little, not because a few people love them a lot.

Cheers,
Jon Blum

You are conveniently leaving out the fact that GIOMH was a LOT like this new project, because it DID have celebrity duets on it, including Paul McCartney, Elton John, and Eric Clapton  The career sales figures, public profiles, and collective fan bases of those three is far, far bigger than the artists Brian is dueting with now. But that did not help his album sales for GIOMH. Fans of those artists did not rush out and buy that record, nor did the general public who are largely familiar with those artists. So, that approach of using the celebrity of others to get publicity and sales for an album is not a surefire strategy.

If several record labels passed on it after hearing it, but they literally had to force the label that took BWPS to release it in order to get BWPS, they knew they had something subpar on their hands. Even with all that celebrity participation. But they depended on the diehards to sell at least a few copes to save face. Even though it was badly sung by Brian, used very old songs, and was not well-produced. Even record labels know that having big celebrities participate in your record does not make it a sure-fire seller let alone a good record, which is why so many passed on it in spite of McCartney and the other big names being on it and singing duets with Brian.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: June 13, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »

Those three on GIOMH had their best sales days in the past, especially in the case of Clapton.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »

As I said earlier, I think you are an invaluable part of this board Ray, and I hope you stick around.

We've had people like Ray post here before, and they don't post any more, because some half-wit tries to be smart, or thinks they know more than he does.

I enjoy Ray's posts as well as do I most of the honored guests here.  I do however take issue with the notion that other less informed users need to keep quiet in order to facilitate the honored guests remaining on this board.  If we were all to subscribe to such nonsense there would be no forum period as most of what we do here is exchange ideas and opinions in the first place whether right or wrong.  Trolling as they call it is one thing and should be handled immediately by the powers that be in order to preserve the sanity of the forum at large.  The free exchange of ideas and opinions however is another thing entirely and in my tenure on this forum I've unfortunately borne witness to both instances (for lack of a better term) being viewed as interchangeable entities.  Then invariably someone chimes in and says "That is why so and so doesn't post around here anymore".  The problem with that is that as much as I respect the input of those who may have posted here at one point and no longer do, that is nothing other than a choice on their part.  Now if those people left because of a specific troll or agitator, then as I mentioned that is something that probably should've been addressed long before we lost those vital members of the forum.  If they left however, due to the overall tone of the forum then that is obviously a much more malignant problem as it's the general discourse that members of the forum find themselves engaged in which was found to be displeasing to other now regrettably former forum members.

I don't see any trolls or agitators around here, especially on this thread. They never last long. We usually run their asses off the board fast. Or Billy throws a pizza at 'em and they run away.

Now, Mr. Mill, about that derogatory reference in your posts about California sinking into the sea............I'm offended.  Angry
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:13:16 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 13, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

I just wish that they would give a release date for it.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 13, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »

I have not posted anything in this thread yet.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 13, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »

Billy "pizza" Castillo. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 13, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »

Not sure if anyone picked up on this yet: "Sharing a New Day" sounds a lot like it would be a duet rather than just Musgraves on lead. Make of that what you will.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 13, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »

I wonder why Brian doesn't want to write with Mike? Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

Read between the lines, and it's the fourth quarter of this year.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »

Billy "pizza" Castillo. LOL

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 13, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

Read between the lines, and it's the fourth quarter of this year.

I was meaning more of an exact date.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »

Isn't this the same woman who just recorded with Brian? Seems like Brian is a lot more solid than this one:

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/lana-del-rey-wish-dead-already-193000258-us-weekly.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 13, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »

MAYBE working with these women gets Brian to work a little harder.

LOL
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 13, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

Lana Del Rey is a poseur. Poor little rich girl whose father has bought her a music career. Sorry to be such a d*** about it, according to some here. But out of the three women that Brian is dueting with, she has the highest sales figures, so that's why she's there.  I do think her saying such things about wishing she were dead makes her a bit of a bad role model to her younger fans, but that's not Brian's management's problem, is it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 13, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

Being a good role model has hardly been Mr. Wilson's strong suit, either. So let's not worry too much about that.

She was also reportedly about to record with Lou Reed when he died, so if BW is somehow selling out, at least he's not the only indisputable legend to be doing so with Ms. Del Rey.

(That said, I don't much like her work, with a few exceptions.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 13, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »

For what it's worth, I think Lana Del Ray and Lou Reed would have been a much better pairing than her and Brian. Lou and Lana not only have alliteration going for them, but they have similar moods and singing styles.
She tries to do the whole "shock you" thing that Lou was so good at. However, instead, she just says something hackneyed like "I want to die" and receives a collective "Wow, that's cool, Lana...."
I mean, if she really wanted to die, she could have accomplished it by now, yes? It's clearly some lame attempt to get her attention.

I miss Lou.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: June 13, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »

Lana Del Rey is a poseur. Poor little rich girl whose father has bought her a music career. Sorry to be such a d*** about it, according to some here. But out of the three women that Brian is dueting with, she has the highest sales figures, so that's why she's there.  I do think her saying such things about wishing she were dead makes her a bit of a bad role model to her younger fans, but that's not Brian's management's problem, is it?
How many albums have you sold? Is Brian a poseur because Murry hooked them up with the Morgans? Brian's struggled with mental illness and depression so he too is a terrible role model.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:01:57 PM by Mike's hands have rings all around them » Logged

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 13, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

So, I'm trying to listen to the clip they played today of "Sharing a New Day," but when I go to listen to today's episode I only get the first 56 minutes of it instead of the entire program. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0460wj3.  Anyone else having this problem?  I'm in the U.S. so maybe that's why?  Thanks.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #571 on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:36:07 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #572 on: June 13, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:36:17 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: June 13, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »

I don't take her literally . People who want to die kill themselves. What she said was just her casual way of saying 'I wish I'd never been born'. Big difference.
That's how i took it too.  Lord knows ive been there too

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 13, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »

For those interested.  Haven't listened to it yet, but I think this is it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUzDClWO4XM
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx