gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:20:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 572115 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »

Lenny, I've said for years I'd love it if Brian did an album where he wrote and produced songs for current artists. It would increase his exposure for sure.

I agree... I've been saying for years I want him to arrange and produce a girl group.  Maybe that's just what he's doing?Huh  LOL 

Hearing that Zooey is singing lead is actually good news imho.  I just have bad nightmares being conjured up of some corny ass back and forth duet. 

I would imagine some stuff would leak pretty soon, wouldn't it?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 12, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »

All of that ^ has nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with whether (or not) SOME fans want, hope for, desire, look forward to, or will buy duets of Brian Wilson singing with Lana Del Rey, Zooey Deschanel, and Kasey Musgraves. And, just because SOME fans express those wants, hopes, and desires - in other words, expressing an opinion of what they wish for, or not - it doesn't make them ignorant. People who tell fans how they are supposed to feel are the ignorant ones.

And again:  This is not about "how they are supposed to feel".  People can feel any way they want -- but if they're a dick about how they feel, they're going to get pushback.

And my more specific beef is still about people attributing their unhappiness with this development to Brian.  Acting like he shares our distaste or disinterest in the idea.  That, as I said, is bulls*** in the classic Penn&Teller definition of the word -- asserting something as true, when we not only don't have any evidence that it's true, we don't particularly care about having evidence.

Regards,
Jon Blum

Jon, you keep saying things like that, but we DO have evidence.  The evidence is: Brian doesn't know the name of certain people he's working with.  He's doing a song with "Lana somebody". 

Does he seem that interested in her?  Does he seem interested in that song he recorded with "Lana somebody" ? 

Here's some more evidence for you.  If Brian's so interested in making this album, and recording with these people, why did it take him 15 months to get around to it?  When has he ever spent 15 months recording an album?  The last long, strung out album we had was GIOMH and most people feel that Brian was disinterested and the album suffered for it.

Another bit of Evidence: Jeff Beck collaborated with him, and then later said that Brian was disinterested, to the point he didn't even speak to Jeff.  Isn't that evidence, Jon, that Brian is being made to do something he's not excited about?

Claiming that nobody has any reason to be reacting negatively is wrong.  There are red flags popping up. 

Hopefully we're wrong, and Brian's super excited to work with "Lana somebody" and loves the song he did with "Joey" and thinks Jeff Beck is a genius, and puts out an album that is not only Rock & Roll, a Jeff Beck collaboration, AND features 3 songs that aren't duets with 3 different women he doesn't know the name of.... and the Album will be great.

Hopefully.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 12, 2014, 10:05:54 PM »

Here's some more evidence for you.  If Brian's so interested in making this album, and recording with these people, why did it take him 15 months to get around to it?  When has he ever spent 15 months recording an album?  The last long, strung out album we had was GIOMH and most people feel that Brian was disinterested and the album suffered for it.
GIOMH was recorded at a time when Brian was suffering from writer's block and had to search through the likes of Sweet Insanity and the Cocaine Sessions for new material; this album is  born of a creative burst after the 50th tour (apparently imnotsure blah). 15 months' work on the album could mean they've been spending time perfecting it just as much as it could mean he's disinterested. As I said earlier, I think it looks like this could be a big one.

Another bit of Evidence: Jeff Beck collaborated with him, and then later said that Brian was disinterested, to the point he didn't even speak to Jeff.  Isn't that evidence, Jon, that Brian is being made to do something he's not excited about?

I was at several of the Beck/Wilson shows and can pass on my observations of the view from the cheap seats.  As anyone who has followed the career of Brian and the Beach Boys knows , Brian is notoriously shy and can be very withdrawn...I don't think this is news for anyone who frequents this or any other board. Jeff Beck , from my observation , is your classic Rock and Roll guy ( and the greatest guitarist); gig is over and he is hanging out at the bar with Scott and Jenny , Lizzie Ball and various other members of the respective bands. Brian , on the other hand, goes back and hangs out in his hotel room or on the tour bus, so you could not have two more disparate personalities. I did not see much interplay between the two of them , other than when Brian took both bands to Del Frisco's in New York for dinner. JB sat next to Brian and they seemed to get along ok. It takes a while for Brian to warm up to someone he barely knows; I am sure that threw JB off.  On the other hand , other than sound checks , I don't know when there would be much time for socializing for either of them.

I was not in the studio for the sessions with JB and Brian , so I can only speak to sessions I have been in (SMiLE, Scott , TLOS, Gershwin, Getting in Over My Head, Everything I Need, What Love Can Do).  I have sat next to him at the board when he hasn't said a word or done anything for an hour , finally asking him ;" Brian , what the hell are you doing Huh"  Answer : " I am working"...he was working out arrangements in his head; then went out and taught them to the guys. I have also had him tell me to give directions to the guys as well , which I had the good sense not to do ; so I get that somebody in the booth could have been dictating to Jeff what to play......probably Jeff Foskett, maybe Joe Thomas; I don't know, but I can take an educated guess; I have experienced a very quiet BW in the booth.

But I also could see that JB can be a very obstinate guy ;I did see a few things at The Beacon in NY that I can't talk about in a public forum that would back that up, and I know this is not the first time he has had issues with one of his peers; I think it's an occupational hazard.

Hopefully we're wrong, and Brian's super excited to work with "Lana somebody" and loves the song he did with "Joey"

the Wilson's know Zooey Deschanel pretty well , for example . She followed the UK "SMiLE" tour and in my recollection even babysat the girls one night, so I guess it bothered the hell out of him that someone he really likes, who did a great job on his record , was getting slammed .  My two cents anyway.

I don't see much reason for not keeping your hopes up anyway; it's not like they'll cut out the guests at this point.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »

GIOMH was recorded at a time when Brian was suffering from writer's block and had to search through the likes of Sweet Insanity and the Cocaine Sessions for new material; this album is  born of a creative burst after the 50th tour (apparently imnotsure blah). 15 months' work on the album could mean they've been spending time perfecting it just as much as it could mean he's disinterested. As I said earlier, I think it looks like this could be a big one.

In before somebody else (likely AGD) corrects you. From what we know, according to AGD and maybe some others, Brian apparently hasn't written a new song in quite a while (maybe even 2011 or so?) and that most (maybe all) of the new songs on this album have been developed from unreleased recordings Joe Thomas had of Brian dating from 1997 to 1999 or so.

However, I do wanna say I'm still super excited for this album. The fact that Ray is saying how great Brian sounds is important to me on two levels: the first being that Brian sounds great and that's just awesome in a musical way and the second being that good vocals probably means he's putting a bunch of effort into it, and therefore this project is of importance to him.

But anyways, besides that there's also the fact that Al and Blondie has done a bit of recording with Brian and will likely each feature on a few songs a piece. THAT to me is awesome. Hearing Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin on a track together in 2014 will be mindblowing. Maybe even more mindblowing than hearing Brian, Al, Mike and Bruce together in 2012.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

I appreciate Ray's comments on all this, and it's giving creedence to the idea that the great master IS still painting, that there's a few symphonies left in old Ludwig, and that Brian is interested, hard at work, and doing great things.

I'm just saying, you don't have to AGREE with the negativity, but most people should be able to UNDERSTAND the negativity. 

In the end, the album will come out and hopefully it will live up to the quality we've come to expect from Brian over the last few years.  He's had a hell of a run with Smile/What I Really Want for Christmas/TLOS/Gershwin/Disney/That's why God Made the Radio.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »

All of that ^ has nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with whether (or not) SOME fans want, hope for, desire, look forward to, or will buy duets of Brian Wilson singing with Lana Del Rey, Zooey Deschanel, and Kasey Musgraves. And, just because SOME fans express those wants, hopes, and desires - in other words, expressing an opinion of what they wish for, or not - it doesn't make them ignorant. People who tell fans how they are supposed to feel are the ignorant ones.

And again:  This is not about "how they are supposed to feel".  People can feel any way they want -- but if they're a dick about how they feel, they're going to get pushback.

And my more specific beef is still about people attributing their unhappiness with this development to Brian.  Acting like he shares our distaste or disinterest in the idea.  That, as I said, is bulls*** in the classic Penn&Teller definition of the word -- asserting something as true, when we not only don't have any evidence that it's true, we don't particularly care about having evidence.

Regards,
Jon Blum

My response to guitarfool2002's post, which you quoted above, is how I interpreted his post. I interpreted him as saying that because Brian Wilson gave us this and that and this and that - in the past - that, going forward, we should feel a certain way - in the future. I think he was basically implying that A + B + C + D + E + F should = G. And, it doesn't always work that way. Fans are gonna think, feel, and want whatever they ACTUALLY think, feel, and want; not what they are SUPPOSED to think, feel, and want. Is it so hard to believe that many, many fans have set, fixed, and maybe even stubborn feelings about Brian & The Beach Boys' music and nothing is gonna change that?

As far as the fans' bulls**** behavior and dickish actions, if you are suggesting that we should abide by the old adage, "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all", well, OK, yeah, that would nice. Nice, but unrealistic, especially in today's social media outlets. Or, if you are suggesting that people SHOULD WAIT AND  HEAR the finished product before opining, again, that's unrealistic. This is nothing new. Fans always discuss and opine BEFORE albums are released, based on the information that is out there, as limited as it may be. We've done it for every BB-related album for as long as the board has been in existence. And, I have to repeat...some fans already know what they will and will not like and what they want and don't want with BW and The Beach Boys and nothing's going to change it. I know a lot of people like that. Actually I believe that to be true with majority of Beach Boys' fans (Mike Love's made a career by realizing that Wink). Yes, of course there will be a percentage of fans who will ultimately be proven wrong and won over by Brian's new music, music that they thought they wouldn't like. But I don't think going on Facebook or Smiley Smile and saying this or that makes them dicks, bulls***ers, or ignorant. And finally, if this stuff is too hard on someone as sensitive as Brian Wilson, maybe he should not have a Facebook page or refrain from reading it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 12, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »

In before somebody else (likely AGD) corrects you. From what we know, according to AGD and maybe some others, Brian apparently hasn't written a new song in quite a while (maybe even 2011 or so?) and that most (maybe all) of the new songs on this album have been developed from unreleased recordings Joe Thomas had of Brian dating from 1997 to 1999 or so.

The songwriting thing is simply wrong, SDJ. We know that nearly half of TWGMTR was newly composed. I don't think AGD has ever said or suggested that all the material on the new album is from Imagination era leftovers. Given that he hasn't heard a note of it, I doubt he would stick his neck out that far. I'm sure some songs on the album will be older, given that every BW solo record has featured recycling. But I seriously suspect we get a clutch of fresh songs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:34:41 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 12, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »

Regards,
Jon Blum

My response to guitarfool2002's post, which you quoted above, is how I interpreted his post. I interpreted him as saying that because Brian Wilson gave us this and that and this and that - in the past - that, going forward, we should feel a certain way - in the future. I think he was basically implying that A + B + C + D + E + F should = G. And, it doesn't always work that way. Fans are gonna think, feel, and want whatever they ACTUALLY think, feel, and want; not what they are SUPPOSED to think, feel, and want. Is it so hard to believe that many, many fans have set, fixed, and maybe even stubborn feelings about Brian & The Beach Boys' music and nothing is gonna change that?

As far as the fans' bulls**** behavior and dickish actions, if you are suggesting that we should abide by the old adage, "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all", well, OK, yeah, that would nice. Nice, but unrealistic, especially in today's social media outlets. Or, if you are suggesting that people SHOULD WAIT AND  HEAR the finished product before opining, again, that's unrealistic. This is nothing new. Fans always discuss and opine BEFORE albums are released, based on the information that is out there, as limited as it may be. We've done it for every BB-related album for as long as the board has been in existence. And, I have to repeat...some fans already know what they will and will not like and what they want and don't want with BW and The Beach Boys and nothing's going to change it. I know a lot of people like that. Actually I believe that to be true with majority of Beach Boys' fans (Mike Love's made a career by realizing that Wink). Yes, of course there will be a percentage of fans who will ultimately be proven wrong and won over by Brian's new music, music that they thought they wouldn't like. But I don't think going on Facebook or Smiley Smile and saying this or that makes them dicks, bulls***ers, or ignorant. And finally, if this stuff is too hard on someone as sensitive as Brian Wilson, maybe he should not have a Facebook page or refrain from reading it.

Right on brother.  There's a point to be made too... when you get to the point where everybody waits to hear your music, and doesn't discuss it before it comes out... you've lost your fans.  Fan is a contraction of FANATIC.  It takes somebody as big and important as Brian to have FANATICS that discuss (negatively or positively) every little smidgen of information that leaks out.  When the people stop talking you've lost your fanbase.

Nobody's arguing about menudo's new album.  Nobody is having an in depth discussion at 1:30 in the morning about the next Master P song. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 12, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »

However, I do wanna say I'm still super excited for this album. The fact that Ray is saying how great Brian sounds is important to me on two levels: the first being that Brian sounds great and that's just awesome in a musical way and the second being that good vocals probably means he's putting a bunch of effort into it, and therefore this project is of importance to him.

But anyways, besides that there's also the fact that Al and Blondie has done a bit of recording with Brian and will likely each feature on a few songs a piece. THAT to me is awesome. Hearing Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin on a track together in 2014 will be mindblowing. Maybe even more mindblowing than hearing Brian, Al, Mike and Bruce together in 2012.

The songwriting thing is simply wrong, SDJ. We know that nearly half of TWGMTR was newly composed. I don't think AGD has ever said or suggested that all the material on the new album is from Imagination era leftovers. Given that he hasn't heard a note of it, I doubt he would stick his neck out that far. I'm sure some songs on the album will be older, given that every BW solo record gas featured recycling. But I seriously suspect we get a clutch of fresh songs.

I hope Kacey wrote her song, not sure if Lana or Zooey write.  In that recent interview Brian said he wants to write everything himself, so who knows maybe he's just kickin' ass right now and writing all kinds of stuff.  I enjoyed the stuff he wrote on TWGMTR, Strange World had that quirky Brian sound to it, I love that sh*t. 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #534 on: June 12, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:33:23 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2014, 01:12:44 AM »

Right on brother.  There's a point to be made too... when you get to the point where everybody waits to hear your music, and doesn't discuss it before it comes out... you've lost your fans.  Fan is a contraction of FANATIC.  It takes somebody as big and important as Brian to have FANATICS that discuss (negatively or positively) every little smidgen of information that leaks out.  When the people stop talking you've lost your fanbase.

And then what?

A key part of fans' fanaticism is overestimating our own importance in the big scheme of things.  If every single one of us on this message board spontaneously combusted, the sales for the upcoming album wouldn't even blip.  You want see how much selling to the die-hards gets you?  GIOMH spent a week at #100.  "Lucky Old Sun" got to #21.  It sold to Brian Wilson's audience; GIOMH sold to his fanbase.

Artists sell records because a lot of people love them a little, not because a few people love them a lot.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »

The whole issue was the last item on the Today programme this morning (for those who don't know it, it's the most important current affairs radio programme in the UK).  The interviewee chosen to present the case for the allbum, a member of the Blueboard, was not the best advocate they could have chosen.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2014, 01:55:08 AM »

You want see how much selling to the die-hards gets you?  GIOMH spent a week at #100.  "Lucky Old Sun" got to #21.  It sold to Brian Wilson's audience; GIOMH sold to his fanbase.

One other not insignificant factor: GIOMH sucked, and the reviews reflected that. TLOS is, in the eyes of many, Brian's best solo album, and the reviews reflected that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:15 AM »

The whole issue was the last item on the Today programme this morning (for those who don't know it, it's the most important current affairs radio programme in the UK).  The interviewee chosen to present the case for the allbum, a member of the Blueboard, was not the best advocate they could have chosen.

Alas, my fault: I was away from the laptop when the request to take part came. Missed out by minutes. Ask Lucy Hall in FB if you don't believe me.  Smiley

Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm sure you would have done a fine job.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:20 AM »

Alas, my fault: I was away from the laptop when the request to take part came. Missed out by minutes. Ask Lucy Hall in FB if you don't believe me.  Smiley

Just listened on the iPlayer… really needed a properly measured "let's wait and hear it" response from a fan and putting in context. Don't agree with his opinion but Tim Chipping came across very well and though the anti-collaboration brigade is in the minority the piece made it seem like a majority of BW's fans hate the concept (theory?).  Overall, note, the piece came across as a filler.

There was a clip from a Lana Del Ray track, which (brief as it was) sounded a very good match for some of the TWGMTR suite.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: June 13, 2014, 02:49:08 AM »

It's basically a silly season story, just like the post-C50 rumpus. I've given Brian's management a hard time in the past but this time, gotta admire how they spun some free positive publicity out of a small storm in an even smaller teacup.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 13, 2014, 05:00:41 AM »

The songwriting thing is simply wrong, SDJ. We know that nearly half of TWGMTR was newly composed. I don't think AGD has ever said or suggested that all the material on the new album is from Imagination era leftovers. Given that he hasn't heard a note of it, I doubt he would stick his neck out that far. I'm sure some songs on the album will be older, given that every BW solo record gas featured recycling. But I seriously suspect we get a clutch of fresh songs.

I hope Kacey wrote her song, not sure if Lana or Zooey write.  In that recent interview Brian said he wants to write everything himself, so who knows maybe he's just kickin' ass right now and writing all kinds of stuff.  I enjoyed the stuff he wrote on TWGMTR, Strange World had that quirky Brian sound to it, I love that sh*t. 

Zooey does write.  I love the She & Him albums.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 13, 2014, 05:05:29 AM »

Brian's working his ass off getting it right. He's putting care into his vocals as well. It's going to be worth the wait. I set my watch and warrant on it. It's going to be an exciting time. Those who've known me on and off this board know I've been very critical of past releases; sometimes I've even tried to temper misplaced enthusiasm when ive known it was indeed misplaced.  I'm going to venture that I'll be proven right in this case on the side of positivity. 
I'm getting the same feeling. Brian is inspired and engaged. I'm expecting something at least as good as TLOS.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 13, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »

For Ron in response to his post, and in general, let's take a minute and put it into a larger perspective.

First, we're talking about a musician who it was assumed up until the 90's would not do anything close to what he's done since the 90's, both touring, recording, and writing.

More important, look at the body of work in the albums since "Imagination" that we've gotten from Brian.

We wanted more from the Van Dyke - Brian collaboration, we got that.

We wanted Smile, we got that.

We wanted the original Smile, we got that.

We wanted new Beach Boys songs with the surviving members participating, we got that.

We wanted Brian to stretch out a bit musically, not rely on the trademark sounds from the 60's and whatnot...

...we got an album of Brian covering the American Songbook and jazz standards on the Gershwin album, we got him covering classic film music on the Disney album.

We wanted something new, like a concept album: We got Lucky Old Sun.

We got Brian adding various musical elements to other artists' projects, like Neil Diamond and others.

Adding it all up, that's quite a body of work, right? Are other artists from Brian's hitmaking era in the 60's or even the 70's giving the fans that much *musical diversity* in their album releases?

I guess I don't see what all the doubt is in light of a simple review over what the man has given his fans musically over the past decade. He's definitely not locked into one sound or style of music, and he's crossing all kinds of genres and generations on these releases.

Cut him some slack, maybe, if he's now working with different and younger artists? It's actually nothing new for him to be trying something outside of the expected BW realm, again looking at that span of recent albums.

Wink Damit I wont be satisfied till Brian does a Turtles cover album.

2 Cee Dees worth.  Happy Together and Eleanor must be included.

Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 13, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »

My guess: The change of focus for the "next album" was made so that Brian would get enthusiatic again about going to the studio. Working with Al, David, Blondie and Jeff Beck was fine for a while but Brian needed a new angle and the "guest singers young enough to be his grandchildren" angle made it. As long as the tracks keep the quality of the last decade of Brian's career, I think it's ok. So yeah, Brian doesn't mastermind projects and hasn't since the 60s, what's new about that? He must be prompted to write songs, record albums, go on a stage and basically live a normal life, what's new about that? It doesn't make him a vegetable or a puppet in the hand of his handlers, just Brian Douglas Wilson circa 2014.

Now, PERSONALLY, I would be disgusted if the presence of the young ones was used by the hype machine as evidence that "Brian's more relevant than ever". Come on, it's just some duets, just like he did with carole King and Burt Bacharach some years ago. Brian Wilson is a giant and doesn't need to be hyped in a cheap way.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 13, 2014, 07:38:45 AM »

I'm a little late to the conversation, but it sounds like a great idea to me that Brian is trying something new with several younger female artists. Taylor Mills added a lot to the shows and records for years, and I always thought she should have had some lead vocals. I may be in the minority but Zooey is more interesting to me than Jeff Beck. I don't know much about her and don't know the other people mentioned but I gotta say....getting a bunch of 'rock legends' together does nothing for me. It rarely works and is never fresh. The Brian/Beck thing never peaked my interest. This does. Personal preference being a factor since a lot of albums played routinely on my ipod feature female lead singers.

I should really verify this but I need to get off the computer....however.....I'm pretty sure it was the winnie the pooh dvd I saw with with my daughter a few months back, that Zooey had a song in it she wrote. Yeah it was just a kid oriented tune for a kid movie but it was catchy and there was an obvious Brian Wilson influenced vibe in it. Her pairing with Brian makes a lot more sense than a famous guitarist.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 13, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »

You want see how much selling to the die-hards gets you?  GIOMH spent a week at #100.  "Lucky Old Sun" got to #21.  It sold to Brian Wilson's audience; GIOMH sold to his fanbase.

One other not insignificant factor: GIOMH sucked, and the reviews reflected that. TLOS is, in the eyes of many, Brian's best solo album, and the reviews reflected that.

Yes -- that's kind of my point: those of us who bought GIOMH were overwhelmingly the die-hards, the fanatics as described above.  So, that's about the size of us...  and we're not enough to make a hit.  The fact that the other albums sold more show that even Brian's more usual level of success reaches well beyond us.

I just get tetchy when people pull the "an artist who loses their fanbase is in trouble" routine.  On Brian's level, it's not his fanbase he needs to reach, more like everyone *but* us...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Gohi
« Reply #548 on: June 13, 2014, 07:49:07 AM »

lol they posted a photo with brian and kacey and called her stacey.
Maybe Brian does make his own posts. Tongue
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: June 13, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »

From Facebook:

Kacey Musgraves with Brian in the studio after recording "Sharing a New Day." From Kacey: "Getting to work with one of my musical heroes – the one and only Brian Wilson. So honored. Sweet man."

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx