gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:30:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564791 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »

Honestly, it does surprise me that anyone would have thought it a good idea to say that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:33:58 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: June 10, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »

Who gets the feeling that the person who wrote that post was also aiming it at this board

... Just a thought

I think people declaring music they haven't even heard one second of a "failure", a "disaster", or any of the other negatives is considered 100% bullshit far beyond this board and Facebook.  Grin

...and the same thing goes for movies.

It's a strange contradiction. We love this guy's music because he dared to get out of the box. But, then we want to keep him stuck in the box he made in 1966.

That's a valid point, yes. The fact that no one has heard it yet somehow folks here and on Facebook already know what it sounds like enough to form a negative opinion is infuriating enough for an outside observer. How about the guy actually making the music who is reading this stuff?

Poor Brian, having to read criticism of decisions he din't even make. Did you ever think it might be a good thing that people realize that Brian did not pick up the phone to call Lana Del Rey to be on his album, and maybe he's not that crazy about the idea, either, and the people criticizing or being skeptical are actually in Brian's corner? Brian isn't stupid and perhaps his saying he's not quite sure who Lana is is his way of saying, in a passive aggressive way, help, get me out of here, folks. Brian also told the Irish Times he's sick of collaborators. Maybe he's not happy with the way things are going, either.  Some fans would rather defend Brian than Joe Thomas or his management. Let Joe and Melinda see what they're writing on Facebook and maybe they will change what's on the album and make it more Brian-centric in the end.

BTW, I don't believe Brian wrote that paragraph on Facebook. I'm thinking Michael DeMartin or his wife. Either that, or they "gently urged" him to put a stop to the negative talk and guided him in what to say. It flies in the face of what he told the Irish Times, and that was an objective outsider who got the words directly from Brian.

You seem to know a lot about this new album project and what's happening behind the scenes, can you fill us in on any more details about the music and the studio sessions? I'm curious. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »

What makes it even more suspicious is that the "Brian" response exactly paraphrases what some of the fans were saying in the thread below that. There were a couple of people who mentioned the "f*** with the formula" thing.  That "Brian" response, which seems to be from someone in his management team, is a little more revealing about what's going on in Brian land than his people may have wanted. They probably should have re-thought that and just shut up and let the fans argue among themselves. There were more people saying nice things and defending Brian against the criticizers than there were people doing any criticizing. His management seems very controlling of the dialogue around Brian. I haven't been on the blueboard in a long time but I wonder if they censor discussions there. They might as well delete the negative comments instead of posting that weird response.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 10, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »

I don't think it's Brian that wrote that. He wouldn't say "f*** with the formula". Even Mike has said he never said "f*** with the formula".

I thought that same thing. That small bit makes me suspicious.

Why simply and rationally defend Brian's work when you can throw in yet another subtle stab at Mike and be totally transparent, too? Don't they realize this sort of stuff, over time, only serves to further harm Brian and the Beach Boys' image and legacy?

I'll grant you this is one of the more minor examples, but these guys are so obvious and transparent and, again, all these small little things add up in the long-term. Don't they care? Don't they realize any short-term gain from the stuff they do is negated by the long-term damage it does?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 10, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »

I would like to add to this. For the record , I hate the idea of duets, so I was initially in my WTF mode on this idea.  I wouldn't know Lana Del Ray from Marina Del Rey so I was essentially clueless about her work.  But I love the thought of new idea's , which make things fresh and vibrant. And this is certainly different, that is for certain. But when I hear about "duets"; I tend to vibrate, and not in a good way !  But I ask ; does anyone consider "Sloop" or "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" or "Salt Lake City" or "Kiss Me, Baby , for example, a duet ; or rather , is this just an example of Brian , producing those records, juxtaposing the vocals , changing the dynamic on these great songs ?

I guess what I am saying is that I don't consider this a "duets " album ; for example is Alan singing verse one; Brian singing verse two and Blondue singing verse three a duet ; or is it a Beach Boys trademark  switching off on vocals , changing the dynamic of the production ?

There is a world of difference between having family members in a group singing the lead vocals of different sections of a song...

And having a 72 year old and a 20 something trading lead vocals.

That`s not to say it can`t work but people don`t consider the Beach Boys songs to be duets because...they weren`t. Not in the same way at least.

I didn't say anything about Brian trading lead vocals with a twenty something; I talked about trading vocals with Alan and Blondie , and that should not be considered a duet And my point is that the Beach Boys songs were not considered duets , because they weren't, same as some of these new songs.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »

Hey Ray, thanks so much for hangin' around here. Anyways, music-wise, from what you've heard, what Beach Boys or Brian Wilson albums would you compare it to? And how do Brian's vocals compare to his recent work? Anything as sweet as "Summer's Gone"?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 10, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »

None of this would be happening, either, if they simply would not keep making statements and posting photos in the studio of a work in progress. People can say all they want how folks shouldn't jump the gun until they hear the released record, but I don't recall any other artist having that many constant updates about what's going on in the studio, and it's human nature to try to figure out what the final product could wind up being with the given information. I'm sure when bands like Fleetwood Mac were taking years to make an album, no one knew what was going on or who was in and out of the studio, or which tracks were rejected and which ones made the cut. I suppose the Internet creates the demand of constant updates. Still, not a good thing when they're still up in the air as to what they want the final album to be.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 10, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »

Hey Ray, thanks so much for hangin' around here. Anyways, music-wise, from what you've heard, what Beach Boys or Brian Wilson albums would you compare it to? And how do Brian's vocals compare to his recent work? Anything as sweet as "Summer's Gone"?

You're welcome.  I would say that Brian's vocals sound like "Summers Gone" and "Pacific Coast Highway" , my opinion , a bit better but that's a subjective opinion.  As to what Beach Boys / BW record to compare it to ; that's tough as this is really different in many ways. I love the background harmony blend of Brian/Al/Blondie/Matt ; sounds brilliant to me. Hard to compare it though to any of its predecessors ; I have to think about that one.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: June 10, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

Glad you're here Ray! I'm personally excited over the album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 10, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »

Thanks, I am as well.  I think it's close to being finished
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 10, 2014, 10:18:52 PM »

i'm not totally signed off that the album will be bad

but when the time comes that we hear snippets and samples...

and it turns out there is even one second of identifiable autotune...

If you liked Brian's vocals on TWGMTR , you will like it. If you liked the background vocals on TWGMTR , then you will like it. If you don't like any of that , then you won't like this record.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »

That is great Ray! Would it be ready in time for the release of the movie?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »

That is great Ray! Would it be ready in time for the release of the movie?
Gee I hope so !  I think it will be finished in the next several days
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: June 10, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »

Of course Brian didn't write that, as we do here: he's always admitted he's not comfortable with computers. He said way back that Melinda shows him comments, he replies and she types in those responses. Old history. Are all the words actually his ?  Who knows, who wasn't there ? I'm guessing the overall tenor is his. Sounds like it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:39:02 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #339 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:09 PM »

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:11:13 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »

Give me a "Deluxe Edition" with the "original versions" of the duet tracks and I'll be stoked. Michael Jackson's most recent album had this, with an original version of the track without Justin Timberlake. I know it's different since the released version was remixed and reworked by Timbaland. But it got me hoping that they could do a similar thing here. Sorry for the alarmist post the other day! If Brian is actually bummed about comments like mine, that sucks. But this is a place for hardcore obsessives, and if I can't whine and moan about Joe Thomas and my suspicions about his dubious influence here, then where can I???  Huh Smiley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »

I'm sensitive, too, Brian. I don't think your feelings are more important than your fan's rights to express their opinions. I dunno, maybe I'm burned out on Brian Wilson, or at least the whole scene around him and the list of rules that are supposed to be obeyed. He's turned into the Wizard of Oz in the minds of some of his fans.  I'd rather hear an album by Al Jardine or go to an Al Jardine show. He's neurotic, too, and he certainly doesn't have Brian's gifts,  but at least no one puts him on an unassailable pedestal where he can do no wrong and no one is allowed to criticize him. Talent and a gift doesn't give you the right to disrespect people's rights to have an opinion.
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »

I love the background harmony blend of Brian/Al/Blondie/Matt ; sounds brilliant to me.

This sounds amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »

Often a negative tone comes about due to a lack of information. If you sign on again Ray, can it be suggested to those that decide these things that a little bit of detail about release dates for both the album and the movie would not go amiss. Both were started last year and we still a none the wiser for either of them.
Thanks.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »

I love the background harmony blend of Brian/Al/Blondie/Matt ; sounds brilliant to me.

This sounds amazing.

Much as I'm looking forward to the whole deal, this is the bit that has me salivating. Call me a fan, can't help it…

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »

None of this would be happening, either, if they simply would not keep making statements and posting photos in the studio of a work in progress. People can say all they want how folks shouldn't jump the gun until they hear the released record, but I don't recall any other artist having that many constant updates about what's going on in the studio, and it's human nature to try to figure out what the final product could wind up being with the given information. I'm sure when bands like Fleetwood Mac were taking years to make an album, no one knew what was going on or who was in and out of the studio, or which tracks were rejected and which ones made the cut. I suppose the Internet creates the demand of constant updates. Still, not a good thing when they're still up in the air as to what they want the final album to be.

Often a negative tone comes about due to a lack of information. If you sign on again Ray, can it be suggested to those that decide these things that a little bit of detail about release dates for both the album and the movie would not go amiss. Both were started last year and we still a none the wiser for either of them.
Thanks.

So do we want Phil's Wall of Silence or leaks? We oughta present a unified front
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:39:51 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »

An album cover and a release date are all I'd need. Tongue

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »

I'm sure it's Brian who wrote the message, just like I'm sure that it's Brian who keeps updating his status with regurgitated quotes from musicians about how great he is. If Brian's proven anything over the last fifty years, it's that he's boastful and full of himself. Roll Eyes

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 11, 2014, 03:18:58 AM »

This sounds amazing.

Much as I'm looking forward to the whole deal, this is the bit that has me salivating. Call me a fan, can't help it…
+1   Cool
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 11, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »

Poor Brian, having to read criticism of decisions he din't even make.

Poor Brian, having to read criticism by people who don't actually know whether he made (or agreed with) a particular decision or not.  No matter how sure of themselves they are.

I'm really sick of fandom's tendency to treat the objects of their fandom as a Rorshach test.

Regards,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx