gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680879 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:52:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 569134 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »

There are ways to use pitch correction tastefully and make it 100% undetectable - Joe Thomas has just made it clear that he is astonishingly lazy with this and especially the live album.

The only album I've ever felt ripped off about buying. Although there are some great moments on there, that first disc is completely unlistenable. That purchase was pretty much $20 down the toilet.
Joe Thomas just sucked all the life out of that live CD. I have cell phone recordings that sound better than anything on that CD. I can't imagine what he was thinking releasing it in that fashion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw&feature=kp
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »

Heh, I remember complaining a lot about the sound of TWGMTR when it came out and cadres of users of this board saying it wasn't that bad and that I didn't know what I was saying.

Good to see that the disappearance of the shiny new sheen has killed that notion.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »

The auto-tune on TWGMTR (exempting the IIT single remix) is actually done very subtly.

I'm guessing you've never listened to "From There To Back Again". Because if you had, you'd not be making that statement. Actually, I don't mind RoboAl, but subtle it ain't.

Now, compared with what Thomas did to the live album, the autotune on Cher's "Believe" is subtle.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

Heh, I remember complaining a lot about the sound of TWGMTR when it came out and cadres of users of this board saying it wasn't that bad and that I didn't know what I was saying.

Good to see that the disappearance of the shiny new sheen has killed that notion.
I still have very little complaints about TWGMTR. I definitely do not like what I hear autotune-wise on disc one of the Live CD, nor do I like that the life & energy was sucked out of the whole recording.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

I do have a question for AGD, however....  Mentioning that GIOMH almost didn't get released, I have always been kind of curious why it even was?? Being so close to BWPS, it almost seemed unnecessary. I agree it is much flawed. So, who pushed it out there to begin with?

GIOMH was recorded, mixed and mastered by early fall 2003 and was shopped around LA... and everyone turned it down flat. Because it sucked. Scotty Bennett told a fan as much in early 2004, it was posted on the BBB board (where I was then admin) and in very short order I got an email strongly urging us to remove that post. I've been told by different sources, independently, that it was part of the BWPS deal: you release that, you have to take GIOMH too. My favorite comment about it came from a long-term BB fan when I asked them if the mix really was as bad as I was thinking: "nope, it really is everything louder than everything else".

I may get another email for relating this, but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

As far as noticeable autotune goes, I can handle TWGMTR.  But I still think the heavy use of autotune that has been prevalent in modern times is one of my most hated things in music.  Excessive 80's production have nothing on autotune when it comes to making me cringe.
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »

I just hate the production on TWGMTR all around. Plasticky.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »

I do have a question for AGD, however....  Mentioning that GIOMH almost didn't get released, I have always been kind of curious why it even was?? Being so close to BWPS, it almost seemed unnecessary. I agree it is much flawed. So, who pushed it out there to begin with?

GIOMH was recorded, mixed and mastered by early fall 2003 and was shopped around LA... and everyone turned it down flat. Because it sucked. Scotty Bennett told a fan as much in early 2004, it was posted on the BBB board (where I was then admin) and in very short order I got an email strongly urging us to remove that post. I've been told by different sources, independently, that it was part of the BWPS deal: you release that, you have to take GIOMH too. My favorite comment about it came from a long-term BB fan when I asked them if the mix really was as bad as I was thinking: "nope, it really is everything louder than everything else".

I may get another email for relating this, but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

But if someone quoted your post, it'd be preserved even if you edited the original, yes? Then it'd have to be up to the mods, who're generally in favour of freedom of speech and defending the truth?

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »

For what it's worth,  I recall reading the story about GIOMH being tied in with BWPS elsewhere as well...assumed it was common knowledge.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

People like Kacey Musgraves have a hundred songs in them, she can write a fucking GREAT song right now, on that piece of paper, if you want her to.  Brian can't do that anymore.  Brian can flesh out the background and the melody, and the production like Kacey can only dream of.  

Just make sure she only gets paid for the 10 minutes she spent writing it, right?  Wink

Exactly!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »

I take it all back, brian is probably a big fan of the opening lyrics to the lana del ray song "cola"

Evil

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »

You still don't know what you're saying.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:33:54 PM by Wirestone » Logged
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »

musically, brian needs a rick rubinesque reinvention, sans handlers/hangers-on.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

The auto-tune on TWGMTR (exempting the IIT single remix) is actually done very subtly.

I'm guessing you've never listened to "From There To Back Again". Because if you had, you'd not be making that statement. Actually, I don't mind RoboAl, but subtle it ain't.

Now, compared with what Thomas did to the live album, the autotune on Cher's "Believe" is subtle.

I'm guessing you're speaking about the opening line, particularly the "...there's no where else I'd rather be" line. The tell-tale artifacts of fast re-pitching aren't there like they are on say, the opening line of "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl". Al's performance is pretty tight on this, and there is probably a bit of auto-tune, but it's not what everyone is making it out to be.

Also, Thomas didn't mix either album; he was the producer. The mixing "honors" go to Frank Pappalardo, who handled both TWGMTR and the live album. The auto-tune on sections of the live album, that's a different conversation altogether...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

Since when do producers not have final say or influence on the mix?
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »

Since when do producers not have final say or influence on the mix?

They do, but in a project like this, they're probably not the one setting retune times on the auto-tune plug-ins...But it will really vary a lot from project to project and producer to producer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:06:20 PM by ToneBender631 » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »

Too bad Rubin has done very little actual work in the last two decades and is paid millions solely to have his name attached to a project nowadays.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »

Too bad Rubin has done very little actual work in the last two decades and is paid millions solely to have his name attached to a project nowadays.

He actually produced Lana Del Rey's 2012 single, "Ride". Shocked
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »

These collaborations sound exciting, mostly because they're completely out of left field. Could the project end up being a complete disaster? Certainly. But the artists involved are talented, critically-respected performers. Would you rather have Zooey Deschanel or Katy Perry? Frank Ocean or Drake? Kacey Musgrave or Taylor Swift?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2014, 08:01:49 PM »

I agree that they're interesting choices, but who's choosing them?  BTW dont' hate on T Sweezy. 

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »

Probably Capitol, maybe somebody in Brian's band.

I'm staring to turn. While I was slightly familiar with lana del rays music,while listening to her song "born to die" on the way home from work, I started liking the idea of her voice blending with Brian's.

I'm feeling better about this news

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »

Probably Capitol, maybe somebody in Brian's band.

I'm staring to turn. While I was slightly familiar with lana del rays music,while listening to her song "born to die" on the way home from work, I started liking the idea of her voice blending with Brian's.

I'm feeling better about this news

I would like to add to this. For the record , I hate the idea of duets, so I was initially in my WTF mode on this idea.  I wouldn't know Lana Del Ray from Marina Del Rey so I was essentially clueless about her work.  But I love the thought of new idea's , which make things fresh and vibrant. And this is certainly different, that is for certain. But when I hear about "duets"; I tend to vibrate, and not in a good way !  But I ask ; does anyone consider "Sloop" or "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" or "Salt Lake City" or "Kiss Me, Baby , for example, a duet ; or rather , is this just an example of Brian , producing those records, juxtaposing the vocals , changing the dynamic on these great songs ?

I guess what I am saying is that I don't consider this a "duets " album ; for example is Alan singing verse one; Brian singing verse two and Blondue singing verse three a duet ; or is it a Beach Boys trademark  switching off on vocals , changing the dynamic of the production ?

Who knows , maybe everyone will be surprised and will like it , and then we'll have world peace !

Cheers. Ray

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

If the songs are good I don't care if Brian is singing a duet with Charles Manson. "A Friend Like You" sucked not because Paul's voice didn't blend with Brian's, it sucked beacause it was a forgettable dittie. If Paul had guested in "Midnight's Another Day" they would have sounded good together.

Of course, the concept of good songs is very subjective.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »

If the songs are good I don't care if Brian is singing a duet with Charles Manson. "A Friend Like You" sucked not because Paul's voice didn't blend with Brian's, it sucked beacause it was a forgettable dittie. If Paul had guested in "Midnight's Another Day" they would have sounded good together.

As Ella Fitzgerald sang :  it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Agree  .   Just no singing with Stamos please
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »

Dude, I'd love to hear Brian collab with Manson!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx