gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:01:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 569089 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: July 11, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »

[sigh] AutoTune - when used - is applied post recording, not in real time (which would be impossible, actually)

http://www.antarestech.com/products/detail.php?product=Auto-Tune_Live_2

Those coupla seconds sound fun, looking forward to hearing the whole album...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:13:58 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 11, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »

I just sighed so hard I hyper ventilated.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

Guys I just went crazy

That songs sounds incredible. I'm officially as excited as I can possibly be for an album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »

those 10 seconds are nice but there's no way to know if it's a great tune or if it sounds like a soda jingle. Bring more!

The whole way western music works revolves around songs resolving over and over again.... which they don't in 10 seconds... so Yeah, in my opinion I have no opinion about this song based on 10 seconds. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: July 11, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »

[sigh] AutoTune - when used - is applied post recording, not in real time (which would be impossible, actually)
Mark this day on the calendar. .. im actually going to correct you for the first time ever in all the years we've been friends LOL. It is indeed possible to use pitch correction in a live setting in real time. Not just referring to the early C50 dates either (which used Melodyne... or so ive heard).Hell, ive done it myself! It's no different than any other VST plug-in,  although the accuracy used in a live setting of course will not be as good as in the studio fixing only small parts of a track.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 11, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »

Even though it's only a small clip, I feel much better about the album now.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 11, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »

I don't hear any autotune, just about 1500 Brian vocal "double" tracks that he's singing over.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »

I don't hear any autotune, just about 1500 Brian vocal "double" tracks that he's singing over.
Same here

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 11, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »

Same here

Better than one Brian track and 1500 Fosketts  Evil
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 11, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 11, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »

this
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 11, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

This would've been a nice summer song, shame it won't be released on time .

I noticed how brian grabbed his headphones when he started singing, like those famous photos of him recording when he was younger

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 11, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »

Sigh... Even devil horn smiley face isn't enough to convey sarcasm on this board...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: July 11, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »

This would've been a nice summer song, shame it won't be released on time .

I noticed how brian grabbed his headphones when he started singing, like those famous photos of him recording when he was younger

That's a thing a lot of singers do when tracking vocals. I'm no singer but I could stack harmonies when needed, and I did the same thing. You basically push the 'phones right up close to your ears, and it may just be a psychological thing but you hear the track and your "live" vocal a different way. Plus it helps "isolate" the track even more in your head. It also gives a nervous type like me something for my hands to do. Other singers may take one cup of the 'phones off, and even plug that ear with their finger to hear their own voice better. Some of those Beach Boys vocal session clips/photos showed at least one band member with his hands clutched behind his back as he was at the mic.

And still other vocalists sometimes like to record in a "live" atmosphere, so they may have the track out of phase and blasting through the monitors in their face as they do a vocal. An engineer I know personally told me they set that up for Bono when he came to that studio to do a vocal take and wanted a live feel in his performance.

It's a musician thing, you know... Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: July 11, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

Pun intended...Can I "pitch in" one thing or two about Autotune or any pitch correction setup in general?

It's not about whether or not it's audible where someone says they heard it, but just to repeat and clarify stuff that we discussed before.

It depends on the artist and of course the song, but there is one absolute, solid fact about Autotune. If you use it as a tool, as it was designed, it can be set to work transparently, in other words it can do it's job without leaving audible audio residue on the track your applying it to.

That's the beauty of it, when you set it up and get the parameters just right for the track, it can work without noticing an audible change. That also depends on how close the original vocal track actually was on pitch and how much the program would need to "work" in order to smooth out the notes. It's terrific for keeping a pitch steady as a singer's breath runs out at the tail end of a note, it just brings that up in pitch similar to a well-set compression unit evening out the levels.

But it's something so subtle you wouldn't necessarily be able to detect it in that capacity on either an audiophile system and great speakers or an mp4 video taken on an iPhone.

The reverse of that is that where a vocal is really, really well done, pitched very well, and delivered top-notch, you could apply Autotune and it won't trigger...because if the notes are accurate to begin with, it has nothing to correct. Try it with even a snippet of an isolated Pet Sound lead vocal or something, see how close Brian and the gang were in 1966 before all of the newfangled tech tools came around and doing a hit lead vocal was up to the skill of the singer.  Cheesy

And as Kanye and T-Pain and the folks who made the over-correction sound with Cher a radio staple have said, the more you sing deliberately "off", the more the device will correct it and that overuse will give that characteristic T-Pain sound. If you sing it perfectly, no matter how you set it, if it doesn't detect anything out of pitch, it won't trigger.

But unless that overcorrection is the desired sound, the engineer will try to make it as transparent and inaudible of an "effect" as possible on a vocal track. And you can even set the parameters in such a way to leave breath noises and the like audible to keep it sounding human, while subtly correcting trailing notes and the like without being noticed.

Just to add to the discussion as a reminder.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 11, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »

Well, I can say that when I'm hearing something and singing along with it - and if I do a serviceable job - I can hear my voice resonating whoever it is I'm singing along with.
Maybe pushing the headphone closer to his ear is just him trying to listen closer.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 11, 2014, 10:18:13 PM »

You're a fountain of information Guitarfool, great post  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: July 11, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »

But unless that overcorrection is the desired sound, the engineer will try to make it as transparent and inaudible of an "effect" as possible on a vocal track.

So I guess that means... Thomas intentionally made the vocals on the live album sound like robotic sh*t ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
zachrwolfe
« Reply #768 on: July 11, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:06:54 PM by zatch » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 12, 2014, 12:07:04 AM »

Joe Thomas is probably just a big fan of Shania Twain.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: July 12, 2014, 12:42:07 AM »

But unless that overcorrection is the desired sound, the engineer will try to make it as transparent and inaudible of an "effect" as possible on a vocal track.

So I guess that means... Thomas intentionally made the vocals on the live album sound like robotic sh*t ?
pretty much . Guess he thought it sounded good.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 12, 2014, 01:19:55 AM »

pretty much . Guess he thought it sounded good.

Well, T-Pain fans did snatch it up by the boatload ........... right? .........
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2014, 01:35:23 AM »

A clip from Brian's song with Zooey Deschanel:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152548010452241

Sounds great to me!

Ten seconds makes it a bit difficult to judge much. I’m not particularly digging the Busy Doin’ Nothin’/Bill and Sue vibe that it seems to have. A tropical or bossa nova sort of thing doesn’t interest me. But hopefully a longer clip or full track will yield more interesting results.

I'm no expert but is this a clip of Brian actually recording a vocal or is he simply singing along to an already mastered track? The Wall of Brians in the background sounds smooth and polished to me, whereas the live track we're hearing is raw (and no less great to hear for that!). The professional recording folks here will correct me if I'm wrong but surely each overdub wouldn't get that treatment before the next is laid down, even in today's digitalised world of instantaneous gratification?

As everyone's saying, too little on which to form an opinion on the song or the album but as a ten-second clip it's fine!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:37:54 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2014, 04:46:33 AM »

A clip from Brian's song with Zooey Deschanel:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152548010452241

Sounds great to me!

Ten seconds makes it a bit difficult to judge much. I’m not particularly digging the Busy Doin’ Nothin’/Bill and Sue vibe that it seems to have. A tropical or bossa nova sort of thing doesn’t interest me. But hopefully a longer clip or full track will yield more interesting results.

I'm no expert but is this a clip of Brian actually recording a vocal or is he simply singing along to an already mastered track? The Wall of Brians in the background sounds smooth and polished to me, whereas the live track we're hearing is raw (and no less great to hear for that!). The professional recording folks here will correct me if I'm wrong but surely each overdub wouldn't get that treatment before the next is laid down, even in today's digitalised world of instantaneous gratification?

As everyone's saying, too little on which to form an opinion on the song or the album but as a ten-second clip it's fine!

John ; its actually recording a first take on one of the layered background parts of "On the Island"
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:43 AM »

It's very thrilling to have heard this clip!  As short a glimpse as it was, I thought "On the Island" sounded wonderfully sublime and it served to leave me eager for more.

I know it may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but personally?  I've always been a big, big fan of anything produced by Brian/The Beach Boys which exudes that kind of Hawaiian/tropical essence.  It never seems to disappoint me.

I don't know that this is the kind of music Brian had in mind for Pleasure Island (and I'm not suggesting that that's what this album will actually be), but the clip sounded pretty much how I always imagined that project could be.

I'd gladly take an entire album's worth (but I still want that Life Suite more than anything).

Mr. Lawlor, if you please:  Are you in a position to say whether we could expect any more material recorded for this project to share in a similar kind of vibe?  And this is almost certainly a reach, but have you any idea whether this wonderful new track (or, for that matter, anything else Brian may currently be working on) maybe fits into said suite, somehow?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx