gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:36:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 567389 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 12, 2014, 05:47:46 PM »

As I said earlier, I think you are an invaluable part of this board Ray, and I hope you stick around.

We've had people like Ray post here before, and they don't post any more, because some half-wit tries to be smart, or thinks they know more than he does.

I enjoy Ray's posts as well as do I most of the honored guests here.  I do however take issue with the notion that other less informed users need to keep quiet in order to facilitate the honored guests remaining on this board.  If we were all to subscribe to such nonsense there would be no forum period as most of what we do here is exchange ideas and opinions in the first place whether right or wrong.  Trolling as they call it is one thing and should be handled immediately by the powers that be in order to preserve the sanity of the forum at large.  The free exchange of ideas and opinions however is another thing entirely and in my tenure on this forum I've unfortunately borne witness to both instances (for lack of a better term) being viewed as interchangeable entities.  Then invariably someone chimes in and says "That is why so and so doesn't post around here anymore".  The problem with that is that as much as I respect the input of those who may have posted here at one point and no longer do, that is nothing other than a choice on their part.  Now if those people left because of a specific troll or agitator, then as I mentioned that is something that probably should've been addressed long before we lost those vital members of the forum.  If they left however, due to the overall tone of the forum then that is obviously a much more malignant problem as it's the general discourse that members of the forum find themselves engaged in which was found to be displeasing to other now regrettably former forum members.
Agreed.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: June 12, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »

As I said earlier, I think you are an invaluable part of this board Ray, and I hope you stick around.

We've had people like Ray post here before, and they don't post any more, because some half-wit tries to be smart, or thinks they know more than he does.

I enjoy Ray's posts as well as do I most of the honored guests here.  I do however take issue with the notion that other less informed users need to keep quiet in order to facilitate the honored guests remaining on this board.  If we were all to subscribe to such nonsense there would be no forum period as most of what we do here is exchange ideas and opinions in the first place whether right or wrong.  Trolling as they call it is one thing and should be handled immediately by the powers that be in order to preserve the sanity of the forum at large.  The free exchange of ideas and opinions however is another thing entirely and in my tenure on this forum I've unfortunately borne witness to both instances (for lack of a better term) being viewed as interchangeable entities.  Then invariably someone chimes in and says "That is why so and so doesn't post around here anymore".  The problem with that is that as much as I respect the input of those who may have posted here at one point and no longer do, that is nothing other than a choice on their part.  Now if those people left because of a specific troll or agitator, then as I mentioned that is something that probably should've been addressed long before we lost those vital members of the forum.  If they left however, due to the overall tone of the forum then that is obviously a much more malignant problem as it's the general discourse that members of the forum find themselves engaged in which was found to be displeasing to other now regrettably former forum members.
Agreed.

Yep, I'd have to say you hit the nail on the head.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »

Sail Away is a Randy Newman cover?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 12, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »

Sail Away is a Randy Newman cover?

Nope, it's an original song, presumably Brian's.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 12, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »

We wanted more from the Van Dyke - Brian collaboration, we got that.

Not to get off topic, but I found a Van Dyke Parks' tweet agreeing that Orange Crate Art is the "pinnacle of Brian's solo albums" slightly conceited.

https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/475153273750822912

@thevandykeparks  ·  Jun 7
“@DelGirlsHoops:  For my money (& I did pay for it), OCA is the pinnacle of Brian Wilson "solo" albums.  I love ALL of it.”VDP: I agree!

That's like Bob Dylan saying his favorite Jimi Hendrix song is "All Along The Watchtower".
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 12, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »

Van Dyke is feeling hurt and excluded by Brian right now. I take that in the spirit that he's pi**ed that Brian no longer calls him. He's very angry that Jason Fine's minion tweeted him to cooperate with Brian's autobiography and the other day mentioned it with the words "Free Brian" and a link to a clip of Month Python's Life of Brian.  He earlier told the minion that Brian himself is the one who should call him, because it's called an autobiography.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 12, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »

Not to get off topic, but I found a Van Dyke Parks' tweet agreeing that Orange Crate Art is the "pinnacle of Brian's solo albums" slightly conceited.

“@DelGirlsHoops:  For my money (& I did pay for it), OCA is the pinnacle of Brian Wilson "solo" albums.  I love ALL of it.”VDP: I agree!

That's like Bob Dylan saying his favorite Jimi Hendrix song is "All Along The Watchtower".

VDP's other tweet about agreeing with Brian that "collaborators are a drag and just want a piece of the bread"....um, not sure how to take that actually. lol

I'm amazed this thread is up to 21 pages! Again, the Rolling Stone article said these songs are in "contention". I still think all three female artists will make the album, and if what Ray says is correct and Zooey sings lead on her cut, that's pretty darn intriguing. Could it be possible that all these gals are singing lead with Brian & co. providing backup?  Are Blondie and Al singing leads too? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'll jump in with a negative comment of my own: There's no release date yet. Boo!    
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 12, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »

1. I'll buy any album that Brian puts out.
2. I don't care for guest artists selling me the album. I'm a BW fan, dammit.
3. Perhaps there is a Phil Spector approach to the new album: Brian at the helm as an author and occasional singer, and a plethora of singers and musicians delivering his vision.
4. The FB response by "Brian" seemed uncalled for. There was no need for it other than promotion. Still, maybe the management of the guest artists expected that bashing of their artists did not go unnoticed by Brian's team.
5. As Ron pointed out, Al's participation has been silenced after he approached Mike.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 12, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »

Are other artists from Brian's hitmaking era in the 60's or even the 70's giving the fans that much *musical diversity* in their album releases?
what an absurd statement; albums of pop songs, oldtime standards, and one or two narrative works are not uncommon to the typical portfolio of a '60s songwriter. so many 'hitmaking artists' who got their start in the '70s have gone infinitely more far out than brian's been since smile. let's keep it realistic
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »

5. As Ron pointed out, Al's participation has been silenced after he approached Mike.

Not true. Shortly after it was revealed that Al would be working with Mike again, Brian's team released a photo of Brian and Al in the studio together.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: June 12, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »

Compared to what Brian did previously in his solo career,  I say I agree with guitarhero

Edit

I mean guitarfool LOL
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:47:18 PM by Mike's hands have rings all around them » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 12, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »

LOL

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »

Lenny, I've said for years I'd love it if Brian did an album where he wrote and produced songs for current artists. It would increase his exposure for sure.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 12, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »

VDP's other tweet about agreeing with Brian that "collaborators are a drag and just want a piece of the bread"....um, not sure how to take that actually. lol

I'm amazed this thread is up to 21 pages! Again, the Rolling Stone article said these songs are in "contention". I still think all three female artists will make the album, and if what Ray says is correct and Zooey sings lead on her cut, that's pretty darn intriguing. Could it be possible that all these gals are singing lead with Brian & co. providing backup?  Are Blondie and Al singing leads too? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'll jump in with a negative comment of my own: There's no release date yet. Boo!    

Let me jump in on a few things; there is a release date , Capitol just hasn't announced it yet; I assume they will do so after it is mixed and mastered, that would make sense to me.  Until they have the actual product it doesn't make sense to announce a release date ( see November 1966 ) I don't know where the information comes from that Al's participation has been silenced since he approached Mike , as Al was cutting vocals in , I think Ocean Way, a week after the Jones Beach participation announcement. This project has been worked on for I think 15 months; Brian has been cutting albums in a matter of weeks ; on this project there are other artists schedules to work around so it has obviously taken a lot more time to put together.  I am personally glad he is taking his time on this rather than rushing through it; the vocals I have heard reflect that level of attention.  Some will love it , some won't ; all I can say us that it is different from any other solo cd that he has ever made; whether it is good different or bad different will be departed in a 2,000 page thread in the near future, after you have all heard it.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »

Let me jump in on a few things; there is a release date , Capitol just hasn't announced it yet; I assume they will do so after it is mixed and mastered, that would make sense to me.  Until they have the actual product it doesn't make sense to announce a release date ( see November 1966 ) I don't know where the information comes from that Al's participation has been silenced since he approached Mike , as Al was cutting vocals in , I think Ocean Way, a week after the Jones Beach participation announcement. This project has been worked on for I think 15 months; Brian has been cutting albums in a matter of weeks ; on this project there are other artists schedules to work around so it has obviously taken a lot more time to put together.  I am personally glad he is taking his time on this rather than rushing through it; the vocals I have heard reflect that level of attention.  Some will love it , some won't ; all I can say us that it is different from any other solo cd that he has ever made; whether it is good different or bad different will be departed in a 2,000 page thread in the near future, after you have all heard it.

Thats debated in a 2000 page thread !
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 12, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »

Ray. I read that as any artist, not just Brian. Wow. Big call!

edit: Ok just Brian. Either way, sounds like it should be different.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:25:43 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 12, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

First, we're talking about a musician who it was assumed up until the 90's would not do anything close to what he's done since the 90's, both touring, recording, and writing.

More important, look at the body of work in the albums since "Imagination" that we've gotten from Brian.

We wanted Smile, we got that.

We wanted the original Smile, we got that.

We wanted new Beach Boys songs with the surviving members participating, we got that.

We wanted Brian to stretch out a bit musically, not rely on the trademark sounds from the 60's and whatnot...

...we got an album of Brian covering the American Songbook and jazz standards on the Gershwin album, we got him covering classic film music on the Disney album.

We wanted something new, like a concept album: We got Lucky Old Sun.

We got Brian adding various musical elements to other artists' projects, like Neil Diamond and others.

Adding it all up, that's quite a body of work, right? Are other artists from Brian's hitmaking era in the 60's or even the 70's giving the fans that much *musical diversity* in their album releases?

I guess I don't see what all the doubt is in light of a simple review over what the man has given his fans musically over the past decade. He's definitely not locked into one sound or style of music, and he's crossing all kinds of genres and generations on these releases.

Cut him some slack, maybe, if he's now working with different and younger artists? It's actually nothing new for him to be trying something outside of the expected BW realm, again looking at that span of recent albums.

All of that ^ has nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with whether (or not) SOME fans want, hope for, desire, look forward to, or will buy duets of Brian Wilson singing with Lana Del Rey, Zooey Deschanel, and Kasey Musgraves. And, just because SOME fans express those wants, hopes, and desires - in other words, expressing an opinion of what they wish for, or not - it doesn't make them ignorant. People who tell fans how they are supposed to feel are the ignorant ones.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 12, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »

So has anyone "in the know" indicated when we might actually hear this album?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 12, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »

So has anyone "in the know" indicated when we might actually hear this album?

Maybe I'm just reading between the lines but from everything Ray has told us it sounds like fourth quarter of 2014. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 12, 2014, 08:33:06 PM »

It would make sense to release it whenever the movie comes out

We have a while to wait yet

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »

Are other artists from Brian's hitmaking era in the 60's or even the 70's giving the fans that much *musical diversity* in their album releases?
what an absurd statement; albums of pop songs, oldtime standards, and one or two narrative works are not uncommon to the typical portfolio of a '60s songwriter. so many 'hitmaking artists' who got their start in the '70s have gone infinitely more far out than brian's been since smile. let's keep it realistic

"Infinitely."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: June 12, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »

Brian's working his ass off getting it right. He's putting care into his vocals as well. It's going to be worth the wait. I set my watch and warrant on it. It's going to be an exciting time. Those who've known me on and off this board know I've been very critical of past releases; sometimes I've even tried to temper misplaced enthusiasm when ive known it was indeed misplaced.  I'm going to venture that I'll be proven right in this case on the side of positivity. 

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »

I enjoy Ray's posts as well as do I most of the honored guests here.  I do however take issue with the notion that other less informed users need to keep quiet in order to facilitate the honored guests remaining on this board.  If we were all to subscribe to such nonsense there would be no forum period as most of what we do here is exchange ideas and opinions in the first place whether right or wrong.

Thing is, so much of this discussion goes over the line between "exchanging ideas and opinions" and "being a dick about them".

Not just trolling; the Facebook thread was full of comments which I find it hard to believe the netwarriors in question would phrase in quite the same way if they were actually saying them to Brian's face in the real world.  Ditto to Mike Love in his own Facebook feed.  (And if they would say things that harshly to their faces in the real world, then people would be edging away from them.)

Bottom line -- civility is not actually the death of discussion.

Regards,
Jon Blum
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 12, 2014, 09:15:45 PM »

I agree and the above sentiments could largely be applied to all the loyal and hardworking honoured guests that have spent the large part of their life devoted to enhancing the legacy of The Beach Boys! Respect!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 12, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »

All of that ^ has nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with whether (or not) SOME fans want, hope for, desire, look forward to, or will buy duets of Brian Wilson singing with Lana Del Rey, Zooey Deschanel, and Kasey Musgraves. And, just because SOME fans express those wants, hopes, and desires - in other words, expressing an opinion of what they wish for, or not - it doesn't make them ignorant. People who tell fans how they are supposed to feel are the ignorant ones.

And again:  This is not about "how they are supposed to feel".  People can feel any way they want -- but if they're a dick about how they feel, they're going to get pushback.

And my more specific beef is still about people attributing their unhappiness with this development to Brian.  Acting like he shares our distaste or disinterest in the idea.  That, as I said, is bulls*** in the classic Penn&Teller definition of the word -- asserting something as true, when we not only don't have any evidence that it's true, we don't particularly care about having evidence.

Regards,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx