gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:24:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564840 times)
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »

Wow. What a thread. 17 pages of talking about next to nothing. I must join in!

I don't know what page features the link to Zooey D. singing Wouldn't It Be Nice. But gosh, she does
a nice job. Not an easy melody to pull of for a vocalist.  And it is live.  I think.  Even if she is basically
an amateur...a nice job.

So I'm rooting for her and the old guy.  Who knows.  To me the problem is putting out an "album"
(12 bloody songs)--an ancient pose given to us by Bob Dylan and the Beatles.  Why not put out
one song?  A great song.  Even this old fart (yours truly) purchases songs one-at-a-time these days.  

Gohi
« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »

So I'm rooting for her and the old guy.  Who knows.  To me the problem is putting out an "album"
(12 bloody songs)--an ancient pose given to us by Bob Dylan and the Beatles.  Why not put out
one song?  A great song.  Even this old fart (yours truly) purchases songs one-at-a-time these days.  
And this 24 year old buys albums and still loves the artform that is an LP.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 11, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »

Which makes you...an anecdote.  Nothing wrong with that.

Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 11, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »

I'm just gunna harbour a dream of what could be (!) until we get more details/hear tracks/reality

"It's called Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy. It's about some guys who took a hike, and they found a place called Pleasure Island. And they met all kinds of chicks, and they went on rides and — it's just a concept. I haven't developed it yet. I think people are going to love it — it could be the best thing I've ever done."

Imagine Brian, Al, Blondie and friends duetting with 'the chicks', taking in all the fun rides, ft Hal Blaine as Pleasure Island tour guide/barker :D

It could be the best thing in a long time!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »

And the back cover can be Mike, Bruce, and Stamos stuck in Kokomo looking over at the others wishing they could have joined them.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 11, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »

I should have just noted how very un-rock and roll it is to defend the legacy of something created to be rebellious, young, aggressive, sexual, etc. To grow old with and defend the institution is the antithesis of rock and roll, so it's ironic, is all.

I think a lot of people are over that now.

Reading this over again, I feel compelled to comment on one last thing because I wonder if it's a common experience others share: For me the reason why I find myself defending rock and roll has to do with the reason I embraced it in the first place which had very little to do with rebellion.  Personally I look at the embrace of rock and roll music as a means of rebellion as being as antiquated as Elvis Presley appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show and Sullivan refusing to allow him to be filmed below the waist.  To me that is something that is back there in the fifties with phrases like "juvenile delinquency" or whatever tag you want to stick on it.  I understand that the rebellious nature of rock and roll music is still a draw to some but as the decades have rolled on, those people who view rock and roll music in that regard have from at least my standpoint become the minority.

For me, my first experiences with rock and roll music was one of a positive nature.  Much like John Lennon, I felt that rock and roll music was the first thing to really get through to me during the years when I was searching for some form of identity outside of what had been given to me by my parents during my formative years.  But it wasn't a form of rebellion against what I had already known as it was actually my mother who turned me on to The Beatles and The Beach Boys in the first place as they were her favorite bands.  But regardless that music was really the first medium that ever had anything positive to say to me.  It was a new experience but at the same time felt like I was being embraced by an old friend that I had somehow lost along the way and was now rediscovering.  I don't know if I'm explaining it right but as John Denver once put it, it was like "coming home to a place I'd never been before".  So from that standpoint my initial experience with this music was a positive one, not one borne out of anger or malice towards someone else or a group of people.  So my feeling is that since this music entered my life all those years ago and from my first experiences with it felt so familiar and comforting, what would that say about me if I didn't defend it at those moments where I felt it needed defending?  

My guess is that experiences such as the one I just related to you all are far more common (or at the very least becoming far more common) than the experiences of people who embrace rock and roll as a vehicle to let out their aggressions on a particular subject or group of subjects.  I really think that in the main those experiences went out decades ago and the only people who revel in them are those who try to recreate or reappropriate those experiences in order to feed their own desires.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:15:34 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »

Speaking of album covers, is the cover for GIOMH the worst of all time?

It is pretty ugly, but it's done by the Sgt. Pepper cover designer, so they thought it was an honor. They would have been better off with Mark London as designer.

It looks like it was done by the Sgt. Pepper designer's teenage daughter, who didn't get around to finishing her high school journal collage. It is awful.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 11, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »

I should have just noted how very un-rock and roll it is to defend the legacy of something created to be rebellious, young, aggressive, sexual, etc. To grow old with and defend the institution is the antithesis of rock and roll, so it's ironic, is all.

I think a lot of people are over that now.

Reading this over again, I feel compelled to comment on one last thing because I wonder if it's a common experience others share: For me the reason why I find myself defending rock and roll has to do with the reason I embraced it in the first place which had very little to do with rebellion.  Personally I look at the embrace of rock and roll music as a means of rebellion as being as antiquated as Elvis Presley appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show and Sullivan refusing to allow him to be filmed below the waist.  To me that is something that is back there in the fifties with phrases like "juvenile delinquency" or whatever tag you want to stick on it.  I understand that the rebellious nature of rock and roll music is still a draw to some but as the decades have rolled on, those people who view rock and roll music in that regard have from at least my standpoint become the minority.

For me, my first experiences with rock and roll music was one of a positive nature.  Much like John Lennon, I felt that rock and roll music was the first thing to really get through to me during the years when I was searching for some form of identity outside of what had been given to me by my parents during my formative years.  But it wasn't a form of rebellion against what I had already known as it was actually my mother who turned me on to The Beatles and The Beach Boys in the first place as they were her favorite bands.  But regardless that music was really the first medium that ever had anything positive to say to me.  It was a new experience but at the same time felt like I was being embraced by an old friend that I had somehow lost along the way and was now rediscovering.  I don't know if I'm explaining it right but as John Denver once put it, it was like "coming home to a place I'd never been before".  So from that standpoint my initial experience with this music was a positive one, not one borne out of anger or malice towards someone else or a group of people.  So my feeling is that since this music entered my life all those years ago and from my first experiences with it felt so familiar and comforting, what would that say about me if I didn't defend it at those moments where I felt it needed defending?  

My guess is that experiences such as the one I just related to you all are far more common (or at the very least becoming far more common) than the experiences of people who embrace rock and roll as a vehicle to let out their aggressions on a particular subject or group of subjects.  I really think that in the main those experiences went out decades ago and the only people who revel in them are those who try to recreate or reappropriate those experiences in order to feed their own desires.  

Interesting. I don't think it's accurate to say those experiences "went out," because it has been repeated again and again in every era of rock and roll, though evolving out of what was once considered rock and roll. But I certainly wouldn't dispute anyone's individual experiences.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 11, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »

Didn't the sgt pepper artists also do the TLOS cover too. That was also pretty poor

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »

kind of gives me an idea for another thread...we've all ranked the albums, songs, ect...but not the album covers. Could be interesting. Or not, I dunno.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: June 11, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »

Merged Howie's Billboard post with here as well. Going to try to keep all discussion related to this in one place. I'm certainly going to be adding my two cents in soon. Hopefully my shift keys will stay functioning...this laptop is about had it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »

It is pretty ugly, but it's done by the Sgt. Pepper cover designer, so they thought it was an honor. They would have been better off with Mark London as designer.

It looks like it was done by the Sgt. Pepper designer's teenage daughter, who didn't get around to finishing her high school journal collage. It is awful.

actually I like the cover! and I like the concert poster for the album (which is the cover)..... I have it signed and hanging in my house...

its no sgt. pepper....... but to me, nor is 'pepper' to the 'pet sounds' cover....

the 'pet sounds' cover is 'da bestest'..

to me the worst would be the BW 2004 'Smile' album cover ...... very bland indeed..

RickB
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:19:25 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »

".....to me the worst would be the BW 2004 'Smile' album cover ...... very bland indeed.."

True, but aren't we glad the real deal was held over for the BB release a few years later?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:27:39 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »

".....to me the worst would be the BW 2004 'Smile' album cover ...... very bland indeed.."

True, but aren't we glad the real deal was held over for the BB release a few years later?

I actually really 'love' Brian and the guys 2004 version of 'Smile'........ incredible actually... I got so drunk and 'off' on that at the time...

BUT........ the cover was a down play just the same.......

(it should have had a 'GIOMH' cover kind of appeal)......... much like the original 'Smile' artwork.......

each to their own I guess..

RickB

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »

And now i'm going to thrown in a whole dollar. Forget the two cents.

First of all...I get quite angry when I read posts about how so and so has no talent, and their music sucks, ect. It's one thing to say that you don't like something. Music is subjective, and not everybody is going to like the same stuff. But despite what some may feel, you cannot have a sustained career without possessing some modicum of talent. As a songwriter myself, I cannot claim someone has no talent just because I don't like their sound. That's just...wrong. For someone to work on something, to put their all in it, and then get told that they're hacks, or that what they did has no redeeming value? Well, it had value to the person who made it. Obviously I'm not referring to novelty hits that were intentionally bad for comedic value.

Second...people are acting like Brian's working with Lady Gaga or something. (That would be a massive clash of styles on a personal AND musical level!) I know the common belief seems to be new=bad. Modern=trash. I think there was a certain bald headed musician who has been criticized over the years for allegedly feeling that way in 1966. What was his name? I'd Love to remember.... In any case, actually try reading up on these folks first. I run a bit hot and cold with Lana Del Rey, but when she's 'on' she does have an interesting vocal style and is certainly not a cookie-cutter pop princess. (Personally, I think Marina Diamandis would be a better fit, but what the hell do I know!) Kacey Musgraves I'm not too familiar with, but she's also an accomplished writer for others in addition to her own work. I personally love She & Him (M.Ward is not only a talented musician, but was a pretty cool dude the times we talked...almost led to a collaboration had fate not intervened, but that's a story for a different time...), so I'm happy as hell to see Zooey on board as well.  'In the Sun' is one of my favorite songs of the past 5 years.
And if Brian does work with Frank Ocean?  He's definitely one of the better hip hop artists around, and is highly underrated.

The kicker is, Brian's put out very safe music in his solo career. I've liked most of it, but he's taken very few chances. Until now. I said this earlier, and it got ignored, so I'll say it again...this is nothing like GIOMH. Did Brian do any real promotion for that, aside from that infamous interview where he was apparently in a bad state? Of course not...even though it is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and works on the level of 'official bootleg', GIOMH was the classic 'zombie Brian' who couldn't give two shits. That's not the case here. Hell, don't believe me. I'd personally take huge stock in what Ray has said in this thread. He'd know. I swear, I think if 1966 Brian was here there'd still be pissing and moaning.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:43:02 PM by Mike's hands have rings all around them » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »

I think if 1966 Brian was here there'd still be pissing and moaning.

Was thinking the same last night.

"You're writing a song about dogs barking because of vibrations? WTF!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: June 11, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »

Lost in all this is the fact Brian is writing lyrics again...

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »

Brian wrote lyrics on TWGMTR. "The Private Life of Bill and Sue." Lyric writing is not his strong suit,  but if that's how he wants to express himself, so be it. His child-like zaniness worked well enough on "Love You."

The fact these artists were shoe-horned in at apparently a latter stage of the album making process, after months of work, make people wonder a bit about what it will turn out to be. Along with Brian's statement on Facebook last night. If that even was Brian. That was ill-advised no matter who was responsible for it, IMO, and he should have let the fans sort it out for themselves, because he had more pro than anti people posting. He got coverage for that post today, but there is an unflattering tone to the stories on Billboard and Facebook, mainly centered around what people have observed here on this board and the blueboard, as well (I was surprised in checking out the blueboard that there are some less than laudatory posts on it), that the album has changed directions after a different emphasis in earlier publicity releases.

When Brian started out working on this album, it seemed like a chance to get his creative vision for the Beach Boys out there, minus Mike Love. Al, David, and Blondie were on board. That generated a lot of fan excitement. The Jeff Beck thing was something I think people weren't quite as excited about. But the chance to have a new Beach Boys type project, in the wake of the C50 PR fiasco? It looked like a chance to turn lemons into lemonade. I think if that Beach Boy presence is preserved on the album, and people get some good songs with Al and Blondie contributing vocals, then no one will care that much about the duets with the newer artists. If they're good or fantastic duets, that will be a bonus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: June 11, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »

I know about TWGMTR...he wrote lyrics on Spring Vacation, Bill and Sue, and Strange World. He wrote lyrics for Good Kind of Love off TLOS, as well as Oxygen to the Brain, along with Message Man  and Just Like Me and You. Point is, this is something he's rarely done unless he's fully engaged, so this a real good sign

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 11, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »

All I know is that if Joe Thomas is producing and the songs are Landy/Paley outtakes than its going to blow. The new vocalists could be cool if it works well in the contexts of the individual songs, and don't feel like unnecessary decoration to bolster sales among a younger demographic.

I'm skeptical about Kacey and Frank, though. Country and hip hop singing might not be a comfortable fit with his music.

This is a weird, weird project and we'll see if it turns out to be a debacle. I tend to think it will.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: June 11, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »

The Musgraves song probably will sound like a Lay Down Burden type trip.

As for Zooey..go listen to She and Him's song 'In the Sun' and get back to me. Video is meh...just listen to th err song on some decent headphones.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »

I agree that M. Ward is a talented guy. I'm not really crazy about his voice, but he's a very good musician and songwriter. I wouldn't mind seeing Brian collaborate with him, with or without Zooey.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:49 PM »

I knew him through Dick Johnston (Daniel's brother) and he at the time fancied himself more as a guitarist/songwriter who also sang. I doubt thats changed in the past 7 years.  He would work well with Brian. He's a fan too

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 11, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »

No, the album doesn't have to be good. It just has to have a fan base that will buy and uncritically praise no matter what this particular artist does,

...And there we have another of the classic Big Lies:  dismissing people who aren't prejudging the album as a disaster as "uncritically praising".  When you're pretty clearly "uncritically bashing" it -- given that you haven't heard a single note of the music to critique it.

Regards,
Jon Blum
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 11, 2014, 10:58:11 PM »

actually I like the cover! and I like the concert poster for the album (which is the cover)..... I have it signed and hanging in my house...

its no sgt. pepper....... but to me, nor is 'pepper' to the 'pet sounds' cover....

the 'pet sounds' cover is 'da bestest'..

to me the worst would be the BW 2004 'Smile' album cover ...... very bland indeed..

RickB

The BWPS cover looked like actual clip art. Really a missed opportunity. Almost as bland as the Imagination cover art.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx