gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680881 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:05:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 569224 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 11, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »

As I recall, most of the odd range of artists that Mick Jagger dueted with on his last tour were all connected to the same concert promoter as the Rolling Stones. So, maybe there is some kind of business demand for synergistic cross promotion between acts that are on the same label or promoter group.

Maybe?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 11, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »

I'd rather not go around the Mulberry bush again on this one because there really is no definitive answer in this debate.  You can easily make the argument that many people of each generation despises the music of the ensuing generations (for example it's probably not too much of a stretch to say that most baby-boomers dislike rap) and that is a common trend that has been ever thus.  But you can also argue that what qualifies as popular music today is so banal and devoid of any value that it's not at all surprising that it rates so low with music fans who either came up in or prefer music of a previous generation.

I still think there is something admirable about defending what you love and believe in and what had a major impact on your life.  I think that is part of the essence of who we are as human beings to take the experiences that are close to, make them a part of your life and defend them at all costs.  Patti Sciafa mentioned on the "Born To Run" DVD that there is this inherent dream of rock and roll music in that it has the power to move you and deliver you which is obviously something that it has done for a great many people.  I don't hold anyone at fault for wanting to defend that and in defending that passion or what you are passionate about is essentially what the rock and roll music or the love of rock and roll music has taught me and I suspect many others.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 11, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »

But seriously, classic rock fans are the worst.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »

I still think there is something admirable about defending what you love and believe in and what had a major impact on your life.  I think that is part of the essence of who we are as human beings to take the experiences that are close to, make them a part of your life and defend them at all costs.  

Perhaps I could have worded my response to that particular part differently. Maybe what I should have just noted how very un-rock and roll it is to defend the legacy of something created to be rebellious, young, aggressive, sexual, etc. To grow old with and defend the institution is the antithesis of rock and roll, so it's ironic, is all.

As for what is admirable, I'll rescind my statement, not that I totally disagree with it, but that I'd rather more carefully consider it.

And yes, this isn't a topic to be rehashed, especially in this thread and forum. That's what General Music Discussions are for. Sorry, all. (Not really sorry, though.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 11, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »

This thread has become truly bizarre.

Do all bands have fans like this?

I'm embarrassed to be considered a part of it.

Wasn't that another thread...?

Yep. And this one too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: June 11, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »

If this is the fun island (or whatever it was called) concept then I'm really happy.  Sounds like the Zooey track is from that idea at the very least.

Be nice to have a concept like TLOS.

It's not Pleasure Island. Thankfully.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »

I want pleasure island! Cheesy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

If this is the fun island (or whatever it was called) concept then I'm really happy.  Sounds like the Zooey track is from that idea at the very least.

Be nice to have a concept like TLOS.

It's not Pleasure Island. Thankfully.

Thankfully?

You just killed my hopes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #408 on: June 11, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »

I should have just noted how very un-rock and roll it is to defend the legacy of something created to be rebellious, young, aggressive, sexual, etc. To grow old with and defend the institution is the antithesis of rock and roll, so it's ironic, is all.

I think a lot of people are over that now.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 11, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »

One day Brian Wilson will sneak into the recording studio with his moog synth and belt out an album of beautiful Pleasure Island tunes.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »

One day Brian Wilson will sneak into the recording studio with his moog synth and belt out an album of beautiful Pleasure Island tunes.

I think it was mainly going to be covers, a couple of leftovers from the Scott Bennett sessions, and a "Pleasure Island Theme."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 11, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

Quote from: me
Poor Brian, having to read criticism by people who don't actually know whether he made (or agreed with) a particular decision or not.  No matter how sure of themselves they are.

I'm really sick of fandom's tendency to treat the objects of their fandom as a Rorshach test.

Regards,
Jon Blum

Do you know what's really sickening? Having fans tell other fans how they are supposed to think and feel. Who the hell are you?

Just a guy.  That's all I need to be, to have the right to say when I think people are talking bulls***.

Which is what this is.  Not one of us knows whether Brian looked over Melinda's shoulder at Facebook and she transcribed what he said, or what.  Not one of us knows whether he liked the idea of collaborating with Lana/Zooey/Kacey/whoever or not.  People here are inventing insights they don't have.

Oh, shudder, fans are stating and opining what kind of music, album, and collaborators (or lack of) that they PREFER from their favorite artist.

Read the posting I was responding to:  it had *nothing* to do with the music, and *everything* to do with making up a mental state and attributing it to Brian.

We can speak for ourselves; we do not have the right to speak for Brian.

Regards,
Jon Blum

Nobody's questioning your RIGHT to say whatever you want; I'm questioning the content of what you're saying. Just in your above post, you are referring to what people are saying as "bulls***". That is condescending and pompous, as if what you write has merit, but if others don't agree with it, it's bulls***.

You're mentioning things like "none of us knows whether he liked the idea of collaborating with Lana/Kacey/whoever or not." Of course we don't know. Who said that they did know? People are offering WHAT THEY THINK, not what they know. It's offering opinions, it's speculating, it's trying to get inside the mind of the artist. It's called being a fan. And, it's called a rock & roll message board. But, you, Jonathan, don't seem to get that. You disrespect posters with smug, condescending responses - primarily because posters' views don't agree with yours.

You also wrote, "We can speak for ourselves; we do not have the right to speak for Brian." Again, that's exactly what people are doing, speaking for themselves. I am speaking for me. I ain't speaking for you. And, I don't see anybody speaking for Brian Wilson. Trying to figure him out? Yes. Speaking for him? No. And the reason we have to try to figure him out is because he gives you basically nothing in the way of HIS thoughts and feelings. He or hiswifeandmanagers give us what THEY want us to know. It's rarely what we want to know. And, I think THEY want it that way. I don't think they really want us to know too much. See, there I go again...speculating. Or as you call it...bulls***
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:48:51 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 11, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »

I really wanna hear Brian working with Lana Del Rey. I think she has an amazing voice, a really cool attitude and she's just...perfect in every sense Smiley

Imagine her singing 'Honkin' down the highway', you know? That kind of obscure post-surf pop melodies are perfect for her voice. And if she has a saying in the words, we might actually get something very interesting there.

Dont care about Zooey, she's cute and a big fan of Brian, but naah, her music sucks. Dont know the other people.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 11, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »

I think it was mainly going to be covers, a couple of leftovers from the Scott Bennett sessions, and a "Pleasure Island Theme."

Well that's fairly disappointing.

I thought it was supposed to be Love You Part II. My life will never feel complete now Sad

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 11, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

Poor Brian, having to read criticism of decisions he din't even make.

Poor Brian, having to read criticism by people who don't actually know whether he made (or agreed with) a particular decision or not.  No matter how sure of themselves they are.

I'm really sick of fandom's tendency to treat the objects of their fandom as a Rorshach test.

Regards,
Jon Blum

Do you know what's really sickening? Having fans tell other fans how they are supposed to think and feel. Who the hell are you?

Oh, shudder, fans are stating and opining what kind of music, album, and collaborators (or lack of) that they PREFER from their favorite artist. And on a rock & roll message board no less. How dare they do that! Fans have just as much right to express skepticism or displeasure at what they are reading as people who are posting optimistic feelings. And I'll repeat - what they are reading. Of course they haven't heard the music, but it's not the music they are criticizing. They are speculating and predicting on a message board about "things" that they don't care for.

Brian's Facebook message/response falls right in line with the rest of the decisions being made about this...er...project. He probably didn't think of it, he probably didn't compose the content, and he probably didn't physically type it. But they want us to believe he did. In my opinion, of course...

Did Brian post that or author it word for word? Probably not. My guess is that it was Melinda that wrote it, given the time of day that the post went up, probably reflecting Brian's reaction to some comments on the FB thread, as well as possibly those on this board. But your phrasing also seems to suggest that Brian has no input, creatively or otherwise, in this entire project. Am I misunderstanding? Or are you just referring to the public "updates" that we've been getting?

It's both, ToneBender631. It's both Brian's input and the public updates. In regard to Brian's input into his own career, everybody has an opinion or a gut feeling or an educated (or uneducated) guess as to how much Brian is actually involved. And, like EVERY issue, there are varying takes and degrees on the issue. Everybody has an opinion! And, guess what, they aren't going to all agree. Some people think that Brian is on top of things and is very involved in decisions. Conversely, others think that Brian is being led, talked into things - and, starting at the very beginning - having ideas as to what to do suggested by associates other than Brian. Which is basically saying that the ideas as to what to do are not even Brian's. It doesn't matter where I fall on the scale, but it does bother me when people can't at least let fans have an opinion based on whatever means they are using to form such opinion. Which leads into the public updates that many times form opinions.

I have learned from being a Brian Wilson fan for forty years that his "team" or advisors are going to let us know what THEY want us to know. And, I have found that it isn't always true. I don't have to expand on the reasons why the public releases aren't true. Let's just say that Brian's team is very, very protective of his image. So, after years and years of being fed untruths, you become jaded and cynical and questioning. And, again, some people don't like when you question things. They consider it disrespectful of Brian. Like Brian Wilson cares what a fan from Palookaville things about his dueting with Joey Deschanel or Billy Ocean...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 11, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »

Like Brian Wilson cares what a fan from Palookaville things about his dueting with Joey Deschanel or Billy Ocean...

I truly love you, SJS.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »

I want to see a cd cover with Brian sitting on a throne wearing bling. a hat with a feather in it, a red robe and sunglasses with two hot half naked babes standing on both sides of the throne.. Grin
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »

Speaking of album covers, is the cover for GIOMH the worst of all time?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »

It is pretty ugly, but it's done by the Sgt. Pepper cover designer, so they thought it was an honor. They would have been better off with Mark London as designer.

If all three duets that Brian recorded are released, and he tours and uses any of the songs in his sets, how will they be done? If they're love duets, he'd have to have a female singer. I suppose he could bring Taylor back. Or he could have one or two of those women touring with him, and be their opening act or vice verse. She and Him, Zooey's band, toured with Emmylou Harris last year, which would seem like an odd pairing, but the shows sold well and brought in both groups of fans. It could be a kinder, gentler alternative to touring with someone as hard-hearted as Jeff Beck.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »

It is pretty ugly, but it's done by the Sgt. Pepper cover designer, so they thought it was an honor. They would have been better off with Mark London as designer.

That's pretty symbolic of GIOMH's failure: using someone famous and well-respected with the assumption that it will automatically make your product better.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »

If all three duets that Brian recorded are released, and he tours and uses any of the songs in his sets, how will they be done? If they're love duets, he'd have to have a female singer. I suppose he could bring Taylor back. Or he could have one or two of those women touring with him, and be their opening act or vice verse. She and Him, Zooey's band, toured with Emmylou Harris last year, which would seem like an odd pairing, but the shows sold well and brought in both groups of fans. It could be a kinder, gentler alternative to touring with someone as hard-hearted as Jeff Beck.

Good question as there is a marketable difference between a collaboration and a duet.  For example Paul McCartney has never performed "You Want Her Too" in concert because it's a song that needs to be performed with a collaborator for it to make any sense.  Brian Wilson however has performed "How Could We Still Be Dancing" as a solo performance a song that he traded off with Elton John on GIOMH.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »

It would depend partly on how the songs actually are constructed: are they true duets, or just songs where lines are traded? And either way, is a female essential, or could a male singing in the same register (let's be honest, several members of the BW band could handle the vocal ranges of these women) handle the chore?

But a joint tour with, for example, She & Him seems feasible. The latter crowd would almost certainly enjoy BW, and a certain segment of BW fans woudln't hate showing up early to catch S&H as an opening act. (It would absolutely be a thrill for M. Ward and Zooey to have the experience.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »

(It would absolutely be a thrill for M. Ward and Zooey to have the experience.)

Just remembered re M. Ward ... after all, Brian is down a guitarist with Jeff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhEuD6hG3vk

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2014, 03:56:10 PM »

Yep , sadly rather like the music contents   Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »

I really want a release date for this thing

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx