gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:23:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 568125 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: June 10, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »

I LOVE BRIAN WILSON!!!

Just for being Brian Wilson!

Good on him!  a shame he still has to fight for his artistic freedom as he says, after 50 years!!!

Stupid People..... and we are the smartest species???.....  Roll Eyes

RickB

Be careful not to judge the bullshit of a few agitators to be representative of the majority.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 10, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »

It's rare to see Brian fight back like that - IF THAT IS HIM.
Either way, it's pretty ballsy of them to up and use "f***" in a Facebook post.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 10, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »

For those of you keeping score at home:

Collaborators:
Jeff Beck, (Don Was), (Jim Keltner), Al Jardine, (David Marks), Vinnie Colaiuta ,Tal Winkenfeld, Blondie Chaplin, (Burt Bacharach), Kacey Musgraves, Zooey Deschanel, Lana Del Rey, (Frank Ocean), Matt Jardine
[Parentheses signifies uncertain involvement]

Songs:
"Right Time", "Guess You Had to Be There", "Metropolis", "He Come Down", "Sail Away", "Last Song", "Sharing a New Day", "On the Island", "Special Love", the Life Suite

I stole this from Judd
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:33:02 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 10, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

oh you piece of sh*t
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:25:24 PM by Judd » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: June 10, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »

Who gets the feeling that the person who wrote that post was also aiming it at this board

... Just a thought

I think people declaring music they haven't even heard one second of a "failure", a "disaster", or any of the other negatives is considered 100% bullshit far beyond this board and Facebook.  Grin

...and the same thing goes for movies.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: June 10, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »

For those comparing this (which we have not heard) to GIOMH, I must ask the following...did Brian show the least bit interested in it during the 'promotion' (if we can even call it that) of that album? This is the most hyped I've seen Brian about any of his solo projects, BWPS excepted.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »

Who gets the feeling that the person who wrote that post was also aiming it at this board

... Just a thought

I thought the same thing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: June 10, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »

... Just a thought

I thought the same thing.

... Just a thought

I think people declaring music they haven't even heard one second of a "failure", a "disaster", or any of the other negatives is considered 100% bullshit far beyond this board and Facebook.  Grin

If the shoe fits...

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 10, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »

For those comparing this (which we have not heard) to GIOMH, I must ask the following...did Brian show the least bit interested in it during the 'promotion' (if we can even call it that) of that album? This is the most hyped I've seen Brian about any of his solo projects, BWPS excepted.
That's true. Plus the fact that I think this is the longest he's ever worked on an album. I do believe we've passed up the Smile sessions...

I stole this from Bubbly Waves
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:34:15 PM by Judd » Logged

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 10, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »

... Just a thought

It's a strange contradiction. We love this guy's music because he dared to get out of the box. But, then we want to keep him stuck in the box he made in 1966.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: June 10, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »

... Just a thought

It's a strange contradiction. We love this guy's music because he dared to get out of the box. But, then we want to keep him stuck in the box he made in 1966.

That's a valid point, yes. The fact that no one has heard it yet somehow folks here and on Facebook already know what it sounds like enough to form a negative opinion is infuriating enough for an outside observer. How about the guy actually making the music who is reading this stuff?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: June 10, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »

good point cyncie!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 10, 2014, 08:40:12 PM »

... Just a thought

A very good point.

We should all hang our heads.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: June 10, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »

Not everyone is doing that, so there isn't as much of a "we", right?

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 10, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »

This just posted to Brian's Facebook:

To my fans: it kind of bums me out to see some of the negativity here about the album I’ve been working so hard on. In my life in music, I’ve been told too many times not to f*** with the formula, but as an artist it’s my job to do that – and I think I’ve earned that right.
I’m really proud of these new songs and to hear these great artists sing on them just blows me away. I love what we’ve done.
I would think that after making music for more than fifty years, my fans would understand that I’ll always do what’s in my heart – and I think that’s why you are my fans. So let’s just wait until the album comes out because I think you just might dig it as much as I do.
Love and Mercy, Brian

I like it.   Thumbs Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 10, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »

Not everyone is doing that, so there isn't as much of a "we", right?

It was a small minority, yes.

But hey, at least I can check "get told off by brian wilson" off my bucket list.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »

There may be some auto-tune in use on Al's vocals, but it's nowhere near as bad as anyone is claiming. They used the same processing chain for the rest of the lead vocals in the suite.

Indeed ? First you tell us most emphatically there's no autotune on the track at all, now there "may" be some. A little consistency, please.

And I never claimed it was bad (the contrary actually), just that it was unsubtle enough for me to catch it.

Here's what I've said:

"The auto-tune on TWGMTR (exempting the IIT single remix) is actually done very subtly. There's one particular moment in TLOS where the auto-tune jumps out far worse than anything on TWGMTR."

"Al's performance is pretty tight on this, and there is probably a bit of auto-tune, but it's not what everyone is making it out to be."

"Not that auto-tune itself has no artifacts but that the most common artifacts aren't all over From There To Back Again."

"There may be some auto-tune in use on Al's vocals, but it's nowhere near as bad as anyone is claiming. They used the same processing chain for the rest of the lead vocals in the suite."

Which part of that is inconsistent? I've said all along there's auto-tune on the record but I've also stated that what most people believe they hear as auto-tune is actually as a result of different types of vocal processing, most of which doesn't have the negative connotation that the term "auto-tune" does.

There is most definitely a liberal use of that pitch correction effect going on throughout the reunion album.  Same with their live album.  But if you *really* want to talk about horrible use of pitch correction, look (or hear) no further than Paul McCartney's live album, Good Evening New York City.  Holy crap do they take it to another level...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: June 10, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »

I LOVE BRIAN WILSON!!!

Just for being Brian Wilson!

Good on him!  a shame he still has to fight for his artistic freedom as he says, after 50 years!!!

Stupid People..... and we are the smartest species???.....  Roll Eyes

RickB

Except it probably wasn't even Brian that wrote it. 

By the way, has anyone actually told Brian he's working on a new album??? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 10, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »

I really doubt Brian said/wrote most, if any of that. Why do they continue to do this sort of stuff?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 10, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »

well cause maybe 'others' have Brian's interest at heart....

perhaps he didn't write it, but being Brian, who knows.....

but it sound like someone is 'pissed' just the same,

RickB
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: June 10, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »

By the way, has anyone actually told Brian he's working on a new album??? 

Save your money, man.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »

Why do they continue to do this sort of stuff?
Well, as silly as that "love & mercy" signoff is, it might as well be Brian. I think it'd be dumb to start speculating this is an attempt by the 'handlers' to prevent negative publicity, especially considering we haven't heard a thing yet. Either way, as stated above, someone's pissed.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »

... Just a thought

That's a valid point, yes. The fact that no one has heard it yet somehow folks here and on Facebook already know what it sounds like enough to form a negative opinion is infuriating enough for an outside observer. How about the guy actually making the music who is reading this stuff?

Poor Brian, having to read criticism of decisions he din't even make. Did you ever think it might be a good thing that people realize that Brian did not pick up the phone to call Lana Del Rey to be on his album, and maybe he's not that crazy about the idea, either, and the people criticizing or being skeptical are actually in Brian's corner? Brian isn't stupid and perhaps his saying he's not quite sure who Lana is is his way of saying, in a passive aggressive way, help, get me out of here, folks. Brian also told the Irish Times he's sick of collaborators. Maybe he's not happy with the way things are going, either.  Some fans would rather defend Brian than Joe Thomas or his management. Let Joe and Melinda see what they're writing on Facebook and maybe they will change what's on the album and make it more Brian-centric in the end.

BTW, I don't believe Brian wrote that paragraph on Facebook. I'm thinking Michael DeMartin or his wife. Either that, or they "gently urged" him to put a stop to the negative talk and guided him in what to say. It flies in the face of what he told the Irish Times, and that was an objective outsider who got the words directly from Brian.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:07:20 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 10, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »

I don't think it's Brian that wrote that. He wouldn't say "f*** with the formula". Even Mike has said he never said "f*** with the formula".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 10, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »

I don't think it's Brian that wrote that. He wouldn't say "f*** with the formula". Even Mike has said he never said "f*** with the formula".

I thought that same thing. That small bit makes me suspicious.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx