gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:38:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 567339 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

Don't know if this has been talked about here and I don't even have the magazine handy, but I was flipping through it last night and there's a blurb about Brian's new album in the current issue of Rolling Stone in the "In The Studio" column that mentions Brian deciding whether to include a duet he recorded with Zooey Deschanel. He says "I can't believe we pulled it off". 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »

Zooey who?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »

How long have Brian & Co been recording this album now?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Zooey who?

She has a sitcom called New Girl. Or at least she did. Sings fairly well.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »

Brian deciding whether to include a duet he recorded with Zooey Deschanel. He says "I can't believe we pulled it off". 
Rerecording of Let's Put Our Hearts Together?   Grin

But seriously, can't wait to hear it, whatever it is!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 08:35:37 PM »

I like Zooey's group, She & Him. They sometimes work in a few Beach Boys related tracks into their albums too.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »

Zooey who?

She's nerdy hot.  Goofy, but yet pretty.  Funny, but yet a little annoying. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »

Zooey is cute, funny, quirky, and has an awesome style - very vintage. Talented musician, too.

And her cinematographer dad Caleb worked on Brian's Good Vibrations promo film back in 1966, so there is a direct connection through generations working with Brian, which is actually a very cool thing to have happen in 2014. If they didn't already, that would be a great angle to cover.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

The blurb mentioned another female duet partner, but I didn't recognize the name. It also mentions song titles. Does anyone have the current issue handy?

Now with this information and all the pics of Blondie, Al, etc. I'm wondering if this is going to be an all-duets album.  
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »

The blurb mentioned another female duet partner, but I didn't recognize the name. It also mentions song titles. Does anyone have the current issue handy?

Was it Kacey Musgraves?  She posted a photo of her and Brian, in the studio, on her Instagram account not too long ago.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »

In The SUN by She and Him - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3cTwI9bIw&list=RDpZ3cTwI9bIw#t=6 LOVE that tune!!!!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »

I think it should be NEW songs by people like Kacey or Zooey or whoever, and Brian does all the background vocals, either as a wall of Brian or on some songs arranging him and his band singing everything.  Then a couple minor leads by Brian (couple lines, or sing the bridge, etc.), and have Brian produce the whole thing.  

Back in the day, there was no shame in that.  It would be different, would highlight Brian's strengths that really only he can do, would negate Brian's weaknesses (writers block), and would allow Brian to be creatively sparked by some of the youngest and most talented musicians out right now.  

People like Kacey Musgraves have a hundred songs in them, she can write a fucking GREAT song right now, on that piece of paper, if you want her to.  Brian can't do that anymore.  Brian can flesh out the background and the melody, and the production like Kacey can only dream of.  

I hope it's going to be something along those lines, but I'm afraid it's just going to be the same old tired "Old guy sings his old songs with hot new act" album.  
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »

Was it Kacey Musgraves?  She posted a photo of her and Brian, in the studio, on her Instagram account not too long ago.

That was it! Thanks. It said she recorded another duet.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

I think it should be NEW songs by people like Kacey or Zooey or whoever, and Brian does all the background vocals, either as a wall of Brian or on some songs arranging him and his band singing everything.  Then a couple minor leads by Brian (couple lines, or sing the bridge, etc.), and have Brian produce the whole thing.  

Back in the day, there was no shame in that.  It would be different, would highlight Brian's strengths that really only he can do, would negate Brian's weaknesses (writers block), and would allow Brian to be creatively sparked by some of the youngest and most talented musicians out right now.  

People like Kacey Musgraves have a hundred songs in them, she can write a fucking GREAT song right now, on that piece of paper, if you want her to.  Brian can't do that anymore.  Brian can flesh out the background and the melody, and the production like Kacey can only dream of.  

I hope it's going to be something along those lines, but I'm afraid it's just going to be the same old tired "Old guy sings his old songs with hot new act" album.  

The titles mentioned were new, but considering Brian's past solo output I'm guessing there may be a few re-records on it. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »

That would be slightly better if it's unreleased stuff, I just don't want to hear remakes of classic Beach Boys songs. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »

Just found a pretty good interview where he mentions writing with others younger than him, but not singing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/brian-wilson-s-united-states-of-music-1.1823177?page=1

...He doesn’t believe collaborators are necessarily the answer. “I’ve had it with collaborators. I still work sometimes with Scott Bennett – he writes lyrics – but he’s the only one I work with. I don’t really know who would want to work with me at this stage. Young people? People my own age? I don’t know. I’d be very interested if someone approached me. I’m open to that...

Pretty good answers for a Brian phone interview. Nothing new but sounds like he is doing ok.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »

I wonder when the decision to bring young singers was made. I guess it's a good selling point i.e. "Brian works with the hipsters". I'm guessing we won't be hearing much Jeff Beck on this album, if at all.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »

Well he's exercising, which is a good sign, and of course he's in an up, relatively expansive mood for Brian Wilson.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 10:35:55 PM »

I wonder when the decision to bring young singers was made. I guess it's a good selling point i.e. "Brian works with the hipsters". I'm guessing we won't be hearing much Jeff Beck on this album, if at all.

Yeah, a dubious attempt at connecting Brian with the indie market - and a cred boost for Z/D, who was the featured talent in the WIBN chapter of Mark Dillon's (mostly) great 50 sides of the BB's.

A talented muso perhaps, but a terrible singer by any measure and makes my ears hurt.

The B-side of the 45 of the above mentioned In the Sun is an unpluggedish style cover of "I Can Hear Music".

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »

He takes a slap at Mike Love in the Irish Times interview, saying that he himself wrote a lot of lyrics for Beach Boys' songs and that Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks were much better lyricists than the other Beach Boys. You know he means Mike. So much for Mike's ambitions to write more with Brian.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »

I dunno.  I didn't take that as a swipe at Mike.  I took it as Brian being Brian, i.e. rambling on and saying whatever comes out of his mouth.

"We used to write songs.  That was a long time ago.  I like cake."

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »

Well over a year. Fifteen months or so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »

Here is Brian and Zooey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJkBdEIFur8.

6 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:27:34 AM by Awestralian Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:59 AM »

Well over a year. Fifteen months or so.

This burst of creative energy that was at one stage amassing enough material for three albums must surely have evolved into a 10-album chest of treasures by now!

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 01:08:12 AM »

Don`t Brian`s comments about touring entirely contradict his earlier comments? Maybe I`m misremembering...

Seems like this new project almost has more guests than the Stars and Stripes sessions.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx