gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why are the Beatles the one band people don't allow you to dislike?  (Read 9371 times)
DrZombi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »

Whenever someone figures out I don't like the Beatles, they always go out of their way to call me an asshole and go on a rant about how they 'revolutionized all music forever'. I especially love when they say "the beatles promoted peace and love in the world, jerk!!!!!!'. (give me a break, they're a fuckin rock band.)

Seriously, I don't have to like the beatles, so go screw off in your stupid Sgt Peppers costumes ya fanboys.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »

Why is this posted in General On Topic Discussions?
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:39:49 PM »

Don't gotta like them, but you should respect them.
They really did a lot for music.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »

Not to worry. There are plenty of not-as-successful bands still out there to like. Have you tried listening to Wishbone Ash? They still play shows and have a small following.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »

Admitting you dislike The Beatles is like swearing in church - it just isn't done.  LOL
rogerlancelot
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »

I remember getting picked on as a teenager for liking the Beatles (during the 1980's). Now a young person gets picked on for not liking them? This world gets whackier by the day.

LOL
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »

Don't gotta like them, but you should respect them.
They really did a lot for music.

Exactly.

Besides, we have all known "that guy" who seeks to impress upon everyone (ie force down everyone's throat) just how plebeian it is to like the Beatles and how hip and enlightened they are because they have seen the light that comes from being the soul individual, the maverick, the solitary trail blazer, and the truest and ruggedest individual as a result of their disdain towards all things Beatle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:13:37 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »

Whenever someone figures out I don't like the Beatles, they always go out of their way to call me an asshole and go on a rant about how they 'revolutionized all music forever'. I especially love when they say "the beatles promoted peace and love in the world, jerk!!!!!!'. (give me a break, they're a fuckin rock band.)

Seriously, I don't have to like the beatles, so go screw off in your stupid Sgt Peppers costumes ya fanboys.

You're essentially asking why are the Beatles a band unlike any other, why are the rules different for them, why do people hold them on a pedestal? 

First they're the most popular band of all time.  The second part, and you're probably missing this because of your comments above, the Beatles more than any other band were able to actually affect popular culture in a way that no other band, and no other artist, ever has.  The comment from your friend that they 'promoted peace and love' actually has a lot of merit to it.  You can poo poo it because they were a rock band, but the truth is to a lot of that generation, the Beatles DID promote love and peace, the things they said held a lot of weight with people even though they were simply rock stars.  When they did "All You Need Is Love" it changed things.  Did it 'heal the world' or make people stop fighting?  No, but it helped validate the feelings some people had at the time and it planted a seed in the hearts of others. 

Can't say enough great things about the Beatles.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »

I knew a guy who hated the movie Titanic because it was so successful and everybody was going to see it in theaters. Personally, I think only a soulless bastard could not have felt a bit of emotion sitting through that movie but I respected his choice of avoiding it (he never saw it).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »

Funny, when I started High School, the Beatles were my favourite band. Aside from a friend or two, the Beatles were disliked by virtually everyone (Mainly because they're "old"), and I was made a target because of that.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »

Funny, when I started High School, the Beatles were my favourite band. Aside from a friend or two, the Beatles were disliked by virtually everyone (Mainly because they're "old"), and I was made a target because of that.

My experience was the same in high school and that was 25 years ago. Lol
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »

I knew a guy who hated the movie Titanic because it was so successful and everybody was going to see it in theaters. Personally, I think only a soulless bastard could not have felt a bit of emotion sitting through that movie but I respected his choice of avoiding it (he never saw it).

I'm such a softie, I can't even watch it!  I watched it once and literally walked around for a couple days upset about it. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »

I'm such a softie, I can't even watch it!  I watched it once and literally walked around for a couple days upset about it. 

I find Titanic to be one of those movies which I can never get sick of. Thanks to that movie, it led to years of interest in ocean liners, of which I'm still fond of today.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »

When I was a kid my dad used to tell me about the Titanic, I envisioned it sitting on the bottom of the ocean in 1 big piece.... then they found it, and the video came out, and all the drawings of it clearly broken in two.  I was fascinated by it, read all about it, read all about the people on the ship, how everything looked, learned and read about the two sister ships.

by the time the movie came out I was really excited to see it.  I thought they did an amazing job, and the love story was so great, I'm serious, for the next couple days I was depressed after seeing the movie.

I had the exact same reaction to Forrest Gump, I can't watch either of those movies!  To the point of, if it's on t.v. or something I'll get up and walk out of the room, lol. 

I'm a big history buff, I love anything old like that, I can just imagine what it would have been like to board the ship or eat dinner in the dining room, or how cold it probably was that night.  I've got such a vivid imagination, when something that i'm really into like that gets brought back to life in a huge movie like that, it's overwhelming to me.  Amazing movie, though. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 11:34:21 PM »

I always find it puzzling that people who hate the Beach Boys, the Hollies, the Lovin' Spoonful, Paul Revere and the Raiders and other mid 60's pop groups love the Beatles. They'll tell me their favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, the Stones, and the Beatles. Are they thinking just the White Album Beatles? Abbey Road? Or do these lovers of hard rock really dig "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You" and "Ticket to Ride"?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:54:28 PM »

Other than the White Album, The Beatles to me are just 'meh'.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 04:27:40 AM »

When I was a kid my dad used to tell me about the Titanic, I envisioned it sitting on the bottom of the ocean in 1 big piece.... then they found it, and the video came out, and all the drawings of it clearly broken in two.  I was fascinated by it, read all about it, read all about the people on the ship, how everything looked, learned and read about the two sister ships.

by the time the movie came out I was really excited to see it.  I thought they did an amazing job, and the love story was so great, I'm serious, for the next couple days I was depressed after seeing the movie.

I had the exact same reaction to Forrest Gump, I can't watch either of those movies!  To the point of, if it's on t.v. or something I'll get up and walk out of the room, lol. 

I'm a big history buff, I love anything old like that, I can just imagine what it would have been like to board the ship or eat dinner in the dining room, or how cold it probably was that night.  I've got such a vivid imagination, when something that i'm really into like that gets brought back to life in a huge movie like that, it's overwhelming to me.  Amazing movie, though. 

Interesting. I don't much care for the love story in the movie (though I can understand James Cameron's motive), and I prefer the 1958 film A Night To Remember. Yes, it shows the Titanic sinking in one piece, but back then the wreck hadn't been found and everyone thought it was sunk in one piece. Otherwise, it's generally considered to be the most accurate film on the Titanic, alongside the 1997 film.
I also find her sister ships (the Olympic and the Britannic) to be quite interesting. There was this stewardess called Violet Jessop who was on the Olympic when she hit the HMS Hawke in 1911, survived the sinking of the Titanic, and survived the sinking of the Britannic which hit a mine in 1916.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 04:46:23 AM »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:11:05 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »

Yeah!

(Yeah Yeah)
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »

It's simple really. The Beatles had the "IT FACTOR " way beyond anyone else and I am not just speaking musically. Listen to Eric Claptons
comments in the the George Harrison Doc. " Living in the Material World"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."-  Albert Einstein
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »

let's see...the crapples...er,uh, i mean the beatles, had the entire establishment focused on them (either because they were corrupting the youth of because they were amazing geniuses, either way constant coverage) and had and have nearly endless press (every week since i have been alive one or more beatles are on a magazine cover ) saying matter-of-factly  they are the greatest band ever (i mean, love me do, who can beat that?)  so the debate is settled.
if you don't like them you are obviously wrong, just ask all the aging boomers who have been patting themselves on the back for the last 40years for ending the war, man. they know what's up (note: eternal wars are now good and just let them explain why that is)
! sure they were the wealthiest generation ever, and the first to leave their children worse off than themselves, but the beatles! they win, you lose.
just ask Jan warner. Tongue

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
JohnnyQuest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »

Vesti lol
good stuff SurfsUp67
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:49:41 AM by JohnnyQuest » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »

You can say you personally don't like them.  But saying they weren't good and that they're overrated is just being an ignorant contrarian.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »

What if you don't mind them, think some of their stuff was good but overall consider them absurdly overrated?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »

That damn Celine Dion song pretty much turned me off from ever wanting to see that movie. When I finally did see it, I was 14 at the time and remember responding more to Kate Winslet's breasts in the nude sketch scene than to the climax when the boat was sinking and DiCaprio's character drowns (How did anyone not see that coming from a mile away?). It seemed quite drawn out and over the top to me. But at least James Cameron worked a plot and sympathetic characters into the movie. The special effects served the story rather than the other way around. As overblown as Titanic is, at least it wasn't directed by Michael Bay.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx