gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:01:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why don't we have a true autobiography from the guys? We want one!  (Read 3027 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »

I've mentioned before that I've been a fan of the band for around 40 years.  My favorite band of all time.

But.

We've all been frustrated at times (or all the time, LOL) as to how they present themselves to the fans - we love the guys, the music and the drama but other than Brian's book(s) or the countless written by outsiders, we don't have a voice that unites all of them to tell their story.

Granted Dennis and Carl are gone but surely someone from their family could help fill in some gaps about their thoughts, feelings or experiences as a Beach Boy.  I really wish they would unite to "officially" talk about their careers.

If these guys can do it, why can't the Beach Boys?  I'm genuinely interested in hearing what they all have to say.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »

I support your idea but I guess it's because

1.Beatles are Beatles
2.Stones are some of the biggest legends in rock and led a very rock n'roll lifestyle.

An anthology series would probably not garner much attention because unlike the other two groups the members aren't quite the distinguished personalities people like to read about.That might've been different if Carl and Dennis were still around, because people knew who they were and they were by far the more cool faction of the group as well as being the brothers of the troubled genius in the band. Brian alone would draw quite a few readers,but he doesnt say much about anything so there's limited material to draw from. The man is clearly incapable of delivering a grabbing text or interview. The remaining 4 members are of varying callibre. Bruce and David Marks are relatively unknown to the public (and Bruce is as uncool/unrock n roll as one can get). Al is viewed as the stable member,but he was more a member than the centre of action, wheras Mike certainly is the centre of attention but not in the good way. I think many people get a bad vibe from Mike and his interviews are generally drug bashing and centred around his relationship with Brian than anything else.

Imo a biographer or an 'anthology' story really needs capable and dynamic personalities to make it work and Carl & Dennis are really essential for this.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

Agree with that.

Another issue would be that the poor sod tasked with editing it all together would have to try to align all the lies, misinformation, political obfuscation and family bickering into a coherent thread that told one story from a definitive viewpoint. And I don't think that's possible.

An individual, separate autobiography by each surviving band member might help but that's unlikely also.

• Brian's into his second, which is fair enough.

• Can't see Al having enough to say (and a lot of what he says sometimes seems to be based on things he's read about what he's done!)

• Bruce is too comfortable to write new songs, let alone pen his life story

• Dave's is effectively already out there, thanks to Jon S; just needs updating to take more recent solo work and C50 into account

• Mike… well, his would undoubtedly be one of the more interesting rock and roll biographies, but you'd have to be able to read your way through the piss and testosterone to find your way to a balanced truth:
"So I said to George, 'hey Pisces brother, why don't you check out the Maharishi, he's cool'…"
"So I said to Brian, 'hey cousin – I'm your cousin too, Mike Love – while we're touring Japan, why don't you put together a real artful album of personal, reflective songs we can just lend our voices to when we get back'…"
"So I said to Van, 'hey, what about a kinda cornfield vibe? Cornfields are cool'…"
"So I said to Melinda 'why don't you take Cousin Brian – I'm his cousin too, Mike Love – away for a few years, get him straightened out, then we'll all come back with a 50th anniversary album after which I'll sack him and Al and Dave to rack up a few extra sales'…"
"So I said to the guys, 'why don't we all write our own autobiographies – why sell one band autobiography when we could sell five?'… "
"Hey Jeff, hang out with me for a few years and I'll include you in my autobiography.  You can have your own page and everything…"
"So I said to my biographer, 'I want to accentuate the positive, the creativity, the desire to be always pushing in new directions, them Good Vibrations, those excitations, now'…"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:38:50 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »

Brian's into his second, which is fair enough.

Hhhmmmm. Just getting around to his first is more like it (imo).
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

I agree with that assessment!

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »

If one wanted to be a real nazi about it one might allege that Brian's new book isn't really going to be an autobiography either. Grin
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:40:57 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »

If one wanted to be a real nazi about it one might allege that Brian's new book isn't really going to be an autobiography either. Grin

I was thinking Jeff Fosket would be supervisor of something like that being Brian's bodyguard and maestro and all. With Jeff sailing under a different flag who will step up to protect the glorious image of Brian from the wrath of truth?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »

I was thinking Jeff Fosket would be supervisor of something like that being Brian's bodyguard and maestro and all. With Jeff sailing under a different flag who will step up to protect the glorious image of Brian from the wrath of truth?
Jason Fine. Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »

Exactly. Very few celebrity autobiographies are written by their author. If you get my drift…

“We live in divisive times.”
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 02:18:27 PM »

I feel that there are enough books and videos out there to be honest, nothing like the Beatles anthology of course but enough for a person interested in the Beach Boys to really get deep into the material from either fans or historians. But who knows, maybe if Love and Mercy does well it could spark interest for a book/documentary officially released by the Beach Boys.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »

What about this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Their-Own-Words/dp/0711939403

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Even Keith Richards had a ghost writer. It's very very rare to have a celeb really write their book. Though I bet Keith is a lot easier to collaborate with
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »

I feel that there are enough books and videos out there to be honest, nothing like the Beatles anthology of course but enough for a person interested in the Beach Boys to really get deep into the material from either fans or historians. But who knows, maybe if Love and Mercy does well it could spark interest for a book/documentary officially released by the Beach Boys.
I was a Beatles fan before the BBs' & I'll tell you that I wasn't that fond of "Anthology", be it video or text format. There's little of new, it was nice to see their ante-Beatles formation footage & Sgt. Pepper clips. Hamburg & other later years were in the "Move along, nothing to see here" caliber. So what I'm saying is that I don't wish the BBs following this way of documenting.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »

I was a Beatles fan before the BBs' & I'll tell you that I wasn't that fond of "Anthology", be it video or text format. There's little of new, it was nice to see their ante-Beatles formation footage & Sgt. Pepper clips. Hamburg & other later years were in the "Move along, nothing to see here" caliber. So what I'm saying is that I don't wish the BBs following this way of documenting.

The Beatles Anthology was a great way to introduce a couple of Beatles cynics to the whole Beatles story. Surprisingly, one became engrossed and watched the whole thing and became a big fan. It would be great to have something like that for the BB, but I can't really see it being marketable. Here in the US they showed the Beatles Anthology on ABC TV, and it was a huge hit. But it's the BEATLES.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 03:56:38 AM »

The Beatles Anthology was a great way to introduce a couple of Beatles cynics to the whole Beatles story. Surprisingly, one became engrossed and watched the whole thing and became a big fan. It would be great to have something like that for the BB, but I can't really see it being marketable. Here in the US they showed the Beatles Anthology on ABC TV, and it was a huge hit. But it's the BEATLES.
Really, someone actually became a big Beatles fan through watching Anthology? The wonders never cease, still think it was too much to bear. And you're right, just the brand name "Beatles" makes people go insane.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 04:06:44 AM »

Q: Why don't we have a true autobiography from the guys?
A: Lawyers.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »

• Mike… well, his would undoubtedly be one of the more interesting rock and roll biographies, but you'd have to be able to read your way through the piss and testosterone to find your way to a balanced truth:
"So I said to George, 'hey Pisces brother, why don't you check out the Maharishi, he's cool'…"

"So I said to Melinda 'why don't you take Cousin Brian – I'm his cousin too, Mike Love – away for a few years, get him straightened out, then we'll all come back with a 50th anniversary album after which I'll sack him and Al and Dave to rack up a few extra sales'…"

I like the Melinda one, cruel but true  Cheesy . Are you Mike's script writer?  Grin

Also agree that, if he curbed his macho egotism, an honest Mike Love autobiography (ghost written or not) has the  potential to be absolutely fascinating. If he cut out on the Wilson bashing/ defensiveness etc and instead showed his intelligent, compassionate side, and told HIS side of the story and what he really felt/ feels about his own  life, all the other Beach Boys and related matters, anyway.

Would also be very intrigued to hear Mike's side of his own rumoured/ alleged 'breakdown' and hospitalization in March 1970 - the one documented in Gaines' and Badman's books, during which Mike was replaced by Brian for three shows in the northwest US. Must have been a very strange time in Beach Boy land, with Mike the one with 'issues', needing 'treatment' and Brian the one leading the group on the road  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Never happen though  Smiley .
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »

Exactly. Very few celebrity autobiographies are written by their author. If you get my drift…
Even so, few that I know of have as much talent for total uninvolvement and disinterest in their own autobiographies as Brian Wilson.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx