gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You Didn't (Demo): original song  (Read 2943 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

A couple of months ago I was singing some "ba ba bas" over the chord progression which became the chorus of this song.  I added the verse melody, recorded it, and accidentally "smashed" the guitar track and two vocal tracks into one.  I re-discovered it a few nights ago and this is what I came up with.  All instruments (except for the guitar) are the canned midis from GarageBand because that is all I have access to right now.

If you would, have a listen and let me know what you think.  Feel free to offer suggestions regarding the mix (I have no idea what I am doing) or whatever.  There are some obvious flaws - a big gap between the first chorus and second verse, timing is off here and there cause I actually tapped out each drum sound for the first verse and first chorus and then "cut and paste" them for the second.  There are no real lyrics, just some place holder words for the verses and "ba ba ba" for the chorus.  Song title is rubbish also, its just there so I can find it on my voice recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/empireoflove/you-didnt-demo

It's an early/rough demo, but let me know what you think.

EoL
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:12:08 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »

I love it.

So lets approach this from my POV.

You've got a great melody. Once you plop in lyrics it'll be awesome.

a poppy bassline would be killer on this this one maybe a "boom boom bah dah, boom boom BAH DAH (Higher up)"

A doubled ukulele surrounding but blending with the guitar would be great, panned to each side with the guitar having enough reverb to be the glue to hold it all

the drums should be pretty clean and not very touched, also keep it scarce like it is

do some real claps with the synth clap in the back only to add some pazazz, like you can only feel it not hear it

also, keep the rhodes, it sounds great

you've got something really great going on here, sounds like a modern pop hit in the best ways

great work bud Smiley

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »

Thank you for commenting Mike, I really appreciate it.  I like your ideas and would love to give them a try to see how they would sound.  A couple of problems: I don't own a ukulele and if I did I would not know how to play it.  As for bass, I don't even hear it in a song unless it is in the foreground or I'm deliberately trying to listen for it.  If I send you an mp3 would you be willing to do a quick take on your ideas?  I do own a gulele (I think that is what it is called) but it just doesn't have the same feel.  It's like a small guitar with a capo on the fifth fret.

Let me know and I will send the mp3 to you (PM your email address to me).

Thanks again for your kind words.

EoL

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »

Cool stuff.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »

I dug it, sounds good.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »

Thank you for commenting Mike, I really appreciate it.  I like your ideas and would love to give them a try to see how they would sound.  A couple of problems: I don't own a ukulele and if I did I would not know how to play it.  As for bass, I don't even hear it in a song unless it is in the foreground or I'm deliberately trying to listen for it.  If I send you an mp3 would you be willing to do a quick take on your ideas?  I do own a gulele (I think that is what it is called) but it just doesn't have the same feel.  It's like a small guitar with a capo on the fifth fret.

Let me know and I will send the mp3 to you (PM your email address to me).

Thanks again for your kind words.

EoL

I'd love to, send me a PM Smiley (Oh, and chords would be a bit helpful too and save some time haha)

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »

FOTM:  thanks for the nice bass part as well as the harmonies and everything else.  I can't seem to find the time to revisit this song in order to incorporate what you've done, but I plan to keep the bass, it's fantastic, and maybe some of the other ideas...the ukulele idea is nice, I might have to buy one.

Rab: thanks for the harmony ideas in the chorus.  I will be in touch soon via email.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx