gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:22:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carnie and Wendy take on Jeff Beck  (Read 4492 times)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/brian-wilson-daughters-slam-jeff-beck-comments-mental-state-article-1.1813618

Also, Brian is reducing his workload.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:16:43 AM »

Imo Jeff was a little too outspoken about Brian. Even if they did not interact in the way Jeff wanted it's a little silly to state in an interview that 'he needs help' etc. If Jeff was not talking about things he knows nothing it is that already Brian has much support and help. He wouldn't be a touring musician for the last 15 years if not.

Anyway, Jeff is entitled to his opinion, but I question his judgement when he comments negatively in an interview about a person who is certainly aware, will (most likely) be informed, and eventually saddened by it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:30:03 AM »

But not at Carnie's express behest, unless I'm reading this wrongly. Just read it again, and it's an astonishingly badly constructed piece. I suspect it's news to Brian, and also Mike, that he's "avoiding" the FFF 50th tour. Most odd.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:52:51 AM »

They don`t exactly slam Jeff Beck as the article states. Seems the interviewer asked them some questions about it hoping for some fiery remarks which aren`t really there.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:09 AM »

In this version, Marilyn gets a mention.

http://www.list.co.uk/article/61357-beach-boys-star-brian-wilson-reducing-workload
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:43:00 AM »

But not at Carnie's express behest, unless I'm reading this wrongly. Just read it again, and it's an astonishingly badly constructed piece. I suspect it's news to Brian, and also Mike, that he's "avoiding" the FFF 50th tour. Most odd.

It's just shoddy research although at times it does seem like the interpersonal relationships with The Beach Boys can resemble a thicket that most journalists probably don't have the time or desire to mire through.  So they take the easy way out and write things like "Brian Wilson isn't appearing with The Beach Boys on this tour because he's touring with Jeff Beck" or "Brian Wilson is avoiding the FFF tour because he's been urged to/chosen to take it easy".

But they are preaching to general public who by and large in many instances are willing to accept whatever tales are spun their way.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:43:34 AM »

Um, yeah, this thing is even literally labeled as “gossip.” I wish I had that job. Take a quote from a few months ago, interpret the “gist” of it for someone else and pitch it as a leading question (“Hey Carnie, so was Jeff Beck being a total dick or what?), then select a few quotes from them in response (which clearly sound like a “hey Carnie, quick question?” sort of thing rather than a sit-down interview), then boil it all down with some conjecture. Assuming the actual quotes are at least accurate even if they have no context, I’m kind of curious why one freaking person in these scenarios, if they can’t just not answer, at least offer something like “I don’t know if you’re not giving me the full quote of what Jeff Beck said, and I don’t have any context for the quote either.”

Seriously, people have said things that reflect far worse on Brian in Brian’s own approved/sanctioned documentaries. And Jeff Beck? Did Brian’s team not know the kind of old cranky, chip-on-his-shoulder sort of dude Beck is? Beck’s quotes about Brian are pretty hands-off compared to what Beck has griped about other people and situations.

Jeff Beck thinks Brian’s a bit odd. Is that really news? As I’ve said before, I’d be more troubled about Beck’s ability to perceive the world around him if he had come off the tour and said “Brian’s perfect. Nothing at all odd.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:02:41 AM »

The oddest thing of all ? The strong insinuation that Carnie is a considerably larger part of her fathers current life than she probably is.

"Carnie said of her father: “He is 72 and is doing OK. He is laying back a little bit, which is about time. I want him to do that.

“He has been on the road for 15 years, and he has continued to do whatever he wants.

“I like to make him dinner and hang out, but I want him to slow down.”"

Now, if Melinda were saying that, it'd make sense, seem entirely reasonable, but a daughter he's not had regular contact with for, oh, how long ?...

"“When they were on tour I saw my father every single night onstage with Jeff. He had to sit in his chair to watch him, and when he played “Surf’s Up,” my dad was in awe.""

Am I missing something here ? Did Carnie actually accompany Brian on that tour... or is she just going by what she was told and has gleaned from YopuTube ?

BTW, as at least one other poster here will attest, Brian sitting in a chair has nothing to do with him being so knocked out, and everything to do with him being a really lazy guy. Brian sees a chair, Brian sits in it.  Grin

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:03:48 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »

Jeff Beck thinks Brian’s a bit odd. Is that really news?

Jeff Beck said, "He's clearly in need of attention." I interpreted that statement as meaning more than "odd", but maybe not doing well emotionally, as in maybe needing medical/professional attention. That's the one part of Beck's statement that hasn't been discussed much on the board. Most posts are focusing more on Brian's shyness/standoffishness and generally not warming up to strangers, instead of Brian possibly experiencing more serious problems.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that Carnie was sure to mention, "he has continued to do whatever he wants." I guess she thought that was an issue worth clarifying. Again.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »

The oddest thing of all ? The strong insinuation that Carnie is a considerably larger part of her fathers current life than she probably is.

"Carnie said of her father: “He is 72 and is doing OK. He is laying back a little bit, which is about time. I want him to do that.

“He has been on the road for 15 years, and he has continued to do whatever he wants.

Now, if Melinda were saying that, it'd make sense, seem entirely reasonable, but a daughter he's not had regular contact with for, oh, how long ?...

"“When they were on tour I saw my father every single night onstage with Jeff. He had to sit in his chair to watch him, and when he played “Surf’s Up,” my dad was in awe.""

Am I missing something here ? Did Carnie actually accompany Brian on that tour... or is she just going by what she was told and has gleaned from YopuTube ?

BTW, as at least one other poster here will attest, Brian sitting in a chair has nothing to do with him being so knocked out, and everything to do with him being a really lazy guy. Brian sees a chair, Brian sits in it.  Grin

No offense Andrew, but do you really have a clue as to Brian's personal life and his relationship with his daughters? Do you have an inside source who tells you when Brian speaks with Carnie and Wendy? If not, I'd probably stop  speculating.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

What do you expect from the New York Daily News!? Not good journalism...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

No offense Andrew, but do you really have a clue as to Brian's personal life and his relationship with his daughters? Do you have an inside source who tells you when Brian speaks with Carnie and Wendy? If not, I'd probably stop  speculating.

Brian's daughters have both said they rarely see their father, it's been that way for many years. Though they do go to his shows in the LA area, I'm pretty sure Carnie went to the Beck show in LA.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »

None taken. And, ah, when I'm speculating, I say so.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »

Carnie says Beck was "crass," then says this:

“All I know is that when they do the next one I am wearing a Kotex pad, because I f—ing peed on the seat for the last one.”

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

Carnie says Beck was "crass," then says this:
“All I know is that when they do the next one I am wearing a Kotex pad, because I f—ing peed on the seat for the last one.”

I agree that Carnie can be a bit much, but there's a difference between being self-deprecating and questioning another person's mental state in public.
This is from a tabloid, so of course it's not real journalism. I would think Carnie is just being protective of Brian. She might not see him very often or be in charge of his affairs, but as the adult daughter of a 70-something dad myself, I'll say that it's totally normal to worry about and have opinions about a parent's well-being. Carnie has expressed her love and respect for Brian many times on Twitter. They do see each other, at least occasionally.

https://twitter.com/CarnieWilson/status/406673923221123072/photo/1

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »

Date-stamped 11/30/13.

ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »

Didn't they open for one of the BAD shows last summer?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »

There's no two ways about it, jeff was way out of line with this comments, I'm happy to see Brian's girls setting the record straight

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »

Setting the record straight without the approval of Brian or his management. I'm sure they'd rather not a story be spread that he's cutting back on his schedule, what with a biopic, an album (or two if there's a soundtrack), and a tour in the pipeline. Maybe not an extensive tour, but a tour of some kind nonetheless.  Then there's the fact that they called attention yet again to Beck's comments, which happened some weeks ago. Nah, Melinda Wilson is really happy about it, I'm sure.
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »

Or, it could be that Beck, who had a great opportunity to observe Brian, in the studio and on tour, was on the money with his comments. Having seen one of the shows on the tour, his version of things is consistent with what I observed from the fourth row, which is sad, but the truth. I think the guy should stop touring and enjoy his 70s. He's clearly given us more than enough.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »

There's no two ways about it, jeff was way out of line with this comments, I'm happy to see Brian's girls setting the record straight

Jeff was on tour with Brian for about a month and 20-odd shows. I know who I'd tend to believe more. He's not saying much more than a lot of us have seen anyway, albeit somewhat more forthrightly. I seriously doubt that Carnie & Wendy have much of an idea what Brian's day-to-day life is like these days, on tour or at home.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »

Not wanting to get too gossipy, but just how seldom do Brian and girls see each other? Like, maybe once a year (every Christmas?) or less? Kinda sad to think if it's so... But then again, they have quite a lot baggage, each leading their own lives.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »

From June 2013: (Not saying this means they see each other a lot, but they do seem to have a good relationship when they do.)

https://twitter.com/CarnieWilson/status/347582344888213505/photo/1

Carnie WilsonVerified account ‏@CarnieWilson

Just had dinner with my Dad for his Birthday! Had so my much fun!! Boy he looks handsome !! pic.twitter.com/5vcwpcJFnP
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »

Jeff's entitled to his opinon, and he may very well be wrong, I didn't think he was being mean when he said it, just stating his opinion.

Personally, I'm just happy that Carnie and Wendy seem to be closer to their father than I thought they were.  Carnie said she saw most of the last tour so she must be around more lately.  Good for them, i'm very happy to hear that, especially since Brian's getting on.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »

I'm braced for all of the Brian hatred over him denying a reunion tour.

(braced)

Oh. Nothing?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx